IOS 6 Maps

• @gu3st said:

it's not burdened by 25 years of old crufy garbage that is the Windows API.
    For those of us who didn't just start using a computer within the last couple of years, backward compatability is important.  The fact that my copy of Windows 7 will run just about any software produced since 1995 is, in my opinion, the one feature that makes it superior to everything else.  Newer is not always better.  Lately, newer is almost always worse in some way.  Backwards compatability allows me to continue to get work done using older versions of software while developers are hard at work making each new version worse and worse.

• @belgariontheking said:

it generates a random number between 0 and 1.  If said number is greater than 2

hu

• @gu3st said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @gu3st said:
    but wait... Did old maps do Turn by Turn directions? Nope.

Wait, they didn't? Google Maps on my Android phone had turn-by-turn. My Windows Phone 7 has turn-by-turn.

You mean iPhones this whole time didn't have turn-by-turn directions when every other smartphone did? Shit.

That wasn't Apple's fault. Google wouldn't give them the API or permission to use turn-by-turn. They'd allow you to route stuff, but not do live turn-by-turn. It's about the only way Android could make their Maps experience better.. was to handcuff iOS. Now iOS is free from those handcuffs and is better off for it.

Windows phone is unique in that Microsoft has always had its own maps solution. Which ironically enough iOS maps shares data sources with Bing maps (go compare satellite imagery between the 2.. the seams are in identical spots.)

Sure yeah. If appropriate amounts of money would have changed hands I bet iOS 6 would be now featuring a usable maps applications with turn by turn. But apple was probaly trying to cheap out and got caught out of guard. it's in the same league as suing the company making the SOCs for your phones and tablets.

But that is a whole other WTF and more show the broken US law especially patent law. I mean it has been accepted for the last like centuries that something obvious can't be patented and aligning icons seems pretty obvious to me. As Samsugn I would have immediatley stopped shipping SOCs.

Another WTF is this text input box. Can't type anmore with out spellchecker...

• @beginner_ said:

@gu3st said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @gu3st said:
    but wait... Did old maps do Turn by Turn directions? Nope.

Wait, they didn't? Google Maps on my Android phone had turn-by-turn. My Windows Phone 7 has turn-by-turn.

You mean iPhones this whole time didn't have turn-by-turn directions when every other smartphone did? Shit.

That wasn't Apple's fault. Google wouldn't give them the API or permission to use turn-by-turn. They'd allow you to route stuff, but not do live turn-by-turn. It's about the only way Android could make their Maps experience better.. was to handcuff iOS. Now iOS is free from those handcuffs and is better off for it.

Windows phone is unique in that Microsoft has always had its own maps solution. Which ironically enough iOS maps shares data sources with Bing maps (go compare satellite imagery between the 2.. the seams are in identical spots.)

Sure yeah. If appropriate amounts of money would have changed hands I bet iOS 6 would be now featuring a usable maps applications with turn by turn. But apple was probaly trying to cheap out and got caught out of guard. it's in the same league as suing the company making the SOCs for your phones and tablets.

But that is a whole other WTF and more show the broken US law especially patent law. I mean it has been accepted for the last like centuries that something obvious can't be patented and aligning icons seems pretty obvious to me. As Samsugn I would have immediatley stopped shipping SOCs.

Another WTF is this text input box. Can't type anmore with out spellchecker...

Aligning icons on a grid isn't obvious.  No one would have [url=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2023/1857911073_cad1e01a32.jpg]thought of that before[/url]!

• @gu3st said:

@Douglasac said:
    @gu3st said:
    Why is it "Apple's maps are awful." The real story should be how Google is anti-competitive and was so scared of iOS, that their only way to compete was to literally restrict them. That doesn't seem like Google has a lot of faith in competing on their own merits.
    Oh, sweetie. I think you're confused.

Considering Apple have just won a lawsuit against Samsung that boils down to "they have curved corners and flat fronts just like us and we think people are too stupid to tell the difference between their products and ours even though theirs says Samsung everywhere and ours don't", I'd hazard a guess and say that Apple is scared of Android.

I'm sorry, but if I had my work and trade dress stolen, I'd be suing them too.

Yeah, because that design is so original... right?  Oh, wait.

• @boomzilla said:

@gu3st said:
    That is its strength is that it's not burdened by 25 years of old crufy garbage that is the Windows API.

Until you get lost because, say, the old reliable map application stops working.

People say this.. yet the Maps are still an improvement in most regards. Addition of real turn-by-turn navigation. Loss of street view is whatever, and the accuracy has been perfect for me thusfar.

• ♿ (Parody)

@gu3st said:

@boomzilla said:
    Until you get lost because, say, the old reliable map application stops working.

People say this.. yet the Maps are still an improvement in most regards. Addition of real turn-by-turn navigation. Loss of street view is whatever, and the accuracy has been perfect for me thusfar.

As long as you're in the right country.

• @dhromed said:

Yah, I think the 3D view goofs are unfair. It's kind of difficult to generate a 3D view of the *underside* of an object. (see chicago bean)

All the reduced detail and accuracy on maps is amazing, though.

Coming from someone who works for a 3D mapping company, I can attest to this. Elevation data combined with aerial photography/satellite imagery sometimes looks silly. Fixing every single bridge in the world would be a massive undertaking, although they should have done some cleanup for major landmarks like the Hoover Dam.

Most of those things should have been fixed before release. Accurate depictions of land/water and cultural areas, better road networks, geographic accuracy. Google Maps is a mature product by this point, trying to replace it by forcing it on your users will not end well.

• @Manni_reloaded said:

Coming from someone who works for a 3D mapping company, I can attest to this. Elevation data combined with aerial photography/satellite imagery sometimes looks silly. Fixing every single bridge in the world would be a massive undertaking, although they should have done some cleanup for major landmarks like the Hoover Dam.

Most of those things should have been fixed before release. Accurate depictions of land/water and cultural areas, better road networks, geographic accuracy. Google Maps is a mature product by this point, trying to replace it by forcing it on your users will not end well.

Joined in 2005, first post is in 2012.  First post is insightful and shows knowledge on the poster's part.

Sir, I do believe you have broken the paradigm here at TDWTF forums.

You may now begin screaming about Irish Girl at the top of your lungs.  You know, just to keep the rest of us sane.

• @gu3st said:

@Cassidy said:

@Douglasac said:

To an $VENDOR fanperson, anything made by $VENDOR is clearly better than everything else, even when it's obviously worse than everything else and universally hated by everyone.

Refactored that for you.

@blakeyrat said:

Because I've seen the maps in the linked blogs and that don't scream "better off" to me somehow.

@gu3st said:

Well... They are better off.

Talking two different viewpoints - you're talking about the developers and whole ecosystem being better off, Blakey's talking about the end effect: the deliverable products that users consume.

As yet, this change hasn't bought about significant benefits for the end-user, and that's what they're currently being judged upon (at least by the vociferous majority on the interwebz, including industry pundits). 

At the current time.. it's a minor downgrade. But in the longterm.. Apple being independent from Google for any service will be better in the long run. As the expression goes. Things get worse before they get better. This is one of those times, but of any point to do that kind of transition.. better now than in 3 years.

So why didn't they use Google Maps for the remainder of the contract while finishing their own product. Instead, they release shit because they know their fan base will just eat it, and come up with excuses as to why it's good.

• Or google is lying

• ♿ (Parody)

@gu3st said:

Or google is lying

The RDF is strong around this one.
    @TFA said:

Apple's decision to ship its own mapping system in the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 was made over a year before the company's agreement to use Google Maps expired, according to two independent sources familiar with the matter.

They decided to go with something that was immature, but added a feature that wasn't available on their platform...
    @TFA said:

But the existing deal between the two companies was still valid and didn't have any additional requirements, according to our sources — Apple decided to simply end it and ship the new maps with turn-by-turn.

Maybe it was good. Maybe it was bad. It won't matter to most users because they mostly care about having an Apple product, not about the product itself.

• @blakeyrat said:

Usability-wise, it's a HUGE downslide from Mac Classic and basically throws the millions of man-hours Apple spent on usability research back in the 80s into a dumpster. Then pees on it.
    I never found Mac OS <= 9 particularly usable, because it would crash if I as much as looked at it.

According a friend who disassembled some of the Mac OS code, the code quality of OS 9 is piss-poor. Things like checking the serial port whilst reading from disc, because a bit might have walked in when you weren't looking.

• @Severity One said:

According a friend who disassembled some of the Mac OS code, the code quality of OS 9 is piss-poor. Things like checking the serial port whilst reading from disc, because a bit might have walked in when you weren't looking.

Ok first of all, only the biggest douche in doucheland types "whilst". Secondly, what does that even mean? What about checking the serial port while reading from disk? A bit might have walked in? From what? To where? Huh?

• @blakeyrat said:

Ok first of all, only the biggest douche in doucheland types "whilst".

:: adds this to the list ::

• @blakeyrat said:

@Severity One said:

Ok first of all, only the biggest douche in doucheland types "whilst". Secondly, what does that even mean? What about checking the serial port while reading from disk? A bit might have walked in? From what? To where? Huh?

How often do we have to tell you? Don't forget your medication. It's the green box labelled "rat poison".

• @Severity One said:

@blakeyrat said:

@Severity One said:

How often do we have to tell you? Don't forget your medication. It's the green box labelled "rat poison".

Why would you label medication as "rat poison"? This strikes me as very poor usability. The bottle should be labeled "Blakeyrat's daily happy fun time pills", have an integrated arduino board controlling the helicopter mechanism attached to it and navigate with the help of 2 webcams to where Blakey is sitting. Then it will automatically latch onto Blakey's face, open his mouth and dispense a single pill, followed by a stream of water to aid swallowing.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Xyro said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Ok first of all, [b]only the biggest douche[/b] in doucheland types "whilst".
    :: adds this to the list ::

Actually, there's douchier things you can, so technically you shouldn't add it to the top of the list.

•  Yeah, like complainging that someone writes British English. Oh dear, Blakey is spot on! The old sport immediately noticed a phrase that could only have come from his erstwhile colonial masters.

• "Whilst" isn't British English, it's douchebag English. I admit it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

• @Severity One said:

The old sport immediately noticed a phrase that could only have come from his erstwhile colonial masters.

Incorrect. "douche" is French in origin.

• Getting back to the original topic, how long before iOS 6's maps kill someone by giving them bad directions to an emergency room?  Very interesting article, if a bit on the sensationalist side...

• @Mason Wheeler said:

Very interesting article

Bollocks it is. iOS6's maps can't actually KILL anyone. It's not a weapon.

People may die as a result of relying upon them in a life-threatening situation, but I'd attribute that as a failure of someone risking life and limb on software that wasn't intended to be life-critical. If you were an abulance driver, would you scrap all your known SatNav systems and be an early adopter of iOS6's maps? Let's apportion blame on Apple and neglect to mention having no secondary SatNav system. You were forced to use this new technology, after all.

A similar sensationalist article arose when Belkin hijacked a URL for advertising purposes. Scaremongerers screamed about a GET transmitting vital health-critical information over the internet being intercepted and replaced by an advert instead. Who in their right mind would consider placing their life in such a situation?

• You'd do well to actually read the article before making comments like that.

Do you think ambulance drivers are the only people who would want to find a hospital?  (Heck, they're the last people I'd expect to see using a system like this to find a hospital; it's their job to already know where the hospitals are!)  And no one said anything about "early adopters," or at least not the people who choose to be early adopters that that phrase usualy suggests to the mind.

The scenario described was a normal iPhone user who upgrades to iOS 6 expecting, well, an upgrade, and doesn't realize that their map app, which used to work really well because it was based off Google Maps, has been replaced by a crappy version that is likely to steer them wrong when they urgently need good directions to something like a hospital.  So if you're done throwing torches on straw men, maybe you could address the actual issue raised by the article?

• @Mason Wheeler said:

You'd do well to actually read the article before making comments like that.

I did, which is why my first statement was concerning the article headline that I found sensationalist and completely inaccurate.

@Mason Wheeler said:

Do you think ambulance drivers are the only people who would want to find a hospital?

No. The point I was trying to make is quite simply those that would have frequent need for such features wouldn't trust a single point of failure. And the flipside is that people generally won't trust a Windows service pack deployment on production systems without first trying it on a testbed. Yet because it's Apple, the upgrade will always work and we have complete faith in it.

@Mason Wheeler said:

And no one said anything about "early adopters,"

Sorry, I didn't realise maps in iOS6 had been out for quite some time and it wasn't a new thing. I was under the impression it was a recent upgrade.

@Mason Wheeler said:

So if you're done throwing torches on straw men, maybe you could address the actual issue raised by the article?

*sigh*. Yes, I'm wrong and you and the article are completely right: iOS WILL kill people.Let's blame Apple.

When all's said and done I can understand "people WILL DIE as a result of placing their faith in something that used to work and has now been 'upgraded' to something utterly useless". But I take issue with the way in which that article has tried to create huge steaming mountains out of an earth bump.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Cassidy said:

@Mason Wheeler said:
    Very interesting article

Bollocks it is. iOS6's maps can't actually KILL anyone. It's not a weapon.

When iOS6 is outlawed, only outlaws will have iOS6.

• @Cassidy said:

@Severity One said:
    The old sport immediately noticed a phrase that could only have come from his erstwhile colonial masters.

At least 50% of the English language is French in origin ('language', 'origin' for example) and what isn't French is probably Dutch or German (like the word 'rat').

Anyway, the comments are coming from someone from a country that invented the Lingerie Football League, so they can safely be disregarded.

• @Severity One said:

@Cassidy said:

@Severity One said:

At least 50% of the English language is French in origin ('language', 'origin' for example) and what isn't French is probably Dutch or German (like the word 'rat').

Anyway, the comments are coming from someone from a country that invented the Lingerie Football League, so they can safely be disregarded.

I dunno.. I think LFL is a lot better than NFL. Sexy women tackling each other or fat men? Take your pick.

• @Severity One said:

the Lingerie Football League, so they can safely be --

Wait.. WHAT?

I'm interested now.

• @gu3st said:

@Severity One said:

I dunno.. I think LFL is a lot better than NFL. Sexy women tackling each other or fat men? Take your pick.

Well, the point is, why come up with the distraction of a pretend sport to look at sexy women? I could go to a Dutch beach and see scores of them, wearing significantly less clothing.

It's like WWF (and I don't mean giant pandas). I've never understood the point.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Severity One said:

It's like WWF (and I don't mean giant pandas). I've never understood the point.
    Not this one then?:

• Apple apologises for Maps switch 'frustration'

@BBC said:

Tim Cook acknowledged that users had been frustrated by the move and repeated a pledge to improve the software.

In the meantime he suggested users download an alternative product from one of its rivals.

@Tim Cook said:

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

• I am tempted to print out and frame that apology.  Love the part about recommending alternate map apps.

• @Anketam said:

I am tempted to print out and frame that apology.  Love the part about recommending alternate map apps.

I had to check the link and make sure it wasn't The Onion.

• @Zemm said:

@Anketam said:

I am tempted to print out and frame that apology.  Love the part about recommending alternate map apps.

I had to check the link and make sure it wasn't The Onion.
    I had already seen it on Google news and thought about posting it here, but Blakeyrat already had so no need.  Maybe Apple should implement its own iNews too if it has not already.

• @Anketam said:

Maybe Apple should implement its own iNews too if it has not already.

They did, and had quite good coverage of the earthquakes in Vietnam, the war in Sweden, tsunamis hitting Poland and the search for Len Biden in Kyrgyzstan.

After a week they recommended everyone use BBC or Google news.

• @Cassidy said:

@Anketam said:
    Maybe Apple should implement its own iNews too if it has not already.
    They did, and had quite good coverage of the earthquakes in Vietnam, the war in Sweden, tsunamis hitting Poland and the search for Len Biden in Kyrgyzstan.

Osama Len Biden?

• @Mason Wheeler said:

Yeah, because that design is so original... right?  Oh, wait.

The movie  2001: A Space Odyssey, produced in 1969, shows two of the astronauts watching video on tablet computers.

• @El_Heffe said:

The movie  2001: A Space Odyssey, produced in 1969, shows two of the astronauts watching video on tablet computers.

2001 came out in 1968. And it made lots and lots and lots of really, really good predictions of the future... personally I think the best was the glass cockpit in the spaceplane which looked nearly identical to a 787 cockpit now.

Edit: I just realized that's a pedantic dickweed post but its my favorite movie so fuck youuuuu

• @blakeyrat said:

@El_Heffe said:

2001 came out in 1968. And it made lots and lots and lots of really, really good predictions of the future

I like this edit best.