The "Cloud"

• Mcoder, are you really truly actually honestly being serious..?

• @Xyro said:

Mcoder, are you really truly actually honestly being serious..?

Yeah, that description sounded more like a bigass hailstone to me.

•  Big ass-hailstones are the worst.

• @dhromed said:

@da Doctah said:

@dhromed said:

What's Ubuntu?

Not much, what's Ubuntu with you?

Wait, I may not have that right....

Ubuntu? I hardly know u!

Ubunti?  No, she went of her own accord.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

I'm saying that if a user of something like Seti@home or folding@home buys 1 or more computers (regardless of form factor or capabilities or intended use by the computer's manufacturer) and sets them up as a dedicated computation park for folding and seti-ing, then it becomes a cloud (paid or not), which is a non-minor distinction from private users lackadaisically donating a bit of their idle time to computing these same things.

I'm sure some users have done this, and then yes, I'd totally call folding@home as being done "in the cloud". But that's not the service creators' intent.

So you're saying that "The Cloud" can only be made up of dedicated servers? I still disagree with you. I think the point is that the resources come from somewhere else, and that you don't really have to know where that is. I don't think donating a portion of your computing resources vs dedicating an entire computer matters (and putting multiple VMs in a single server obviously makes your distinction extra complicated, I think).

• @boomzilla said:

So you're saying that "The Cloud" can only be made up of dedicated servers? I still disagree with you. I think the point is that the resources come from somewhere else, and that you don't really have to know where that is. I don't think donating a portion of your computing resources vs dedicating an entire computer matters (and putting multiple VMs in a single server obviously makes your distinction extra complicated, I think).

These are all valid concerns.

• @Xyro said:

Mcoder, are you really truly actually honestly being serious..?

About the hover-commet? Well, I was (an unusual thing). Now I know it is whatever Google answers as that (no I won't even look), and shouldn't try to get a definition. Thanks.

•  I think the writer of the article doesn't really know what The Cloud actually is either:

But, from these, 95% use it [The Cloud] regularly for online banking, online shopping, social sites such as Facebook or Twitter and online sharing of photos and files.

Seriously.... online banking in the cloud? Online shopping is not done at a regular web site any more, but you have to do it in the cloud? 

Also, why would any regular person want to know what the cloud is, or what it's used for? They use services (such as online banking, shopping, etc) and that's all they care about. They use electricity, but don't necessarily have to know what electrons are. They use water, but don't have to know that it H2O. Stupid article, really.

• @pbean said:

Online shopping is not done at a regular web site any more, but you have to do it in the cloud? 

I don't see the author stating that the cloud is a requirement for online shopping, just that some vendors use cloud computing to provide an online shopping service.

I also agree that users don't need to concern themselves with the choice of technology and infrstructure providing that particular service.

• @pbean said:

I think the writer of the article doesn't really know what The Cloud actually is either:

But, from these, 95% use it [The Cloud] regularly for online
    banking, online shopping, social sites such as Facebook or Twitter and
    online sharing of photos and files.

Seriously.... online banking in the cloud? Online shopping is not done at a regular web site any more, but you have to do it in the cloud? 

Also, why would any regular person want to know what the cloud is, or what it's used for? They use services (such as online banking, shopping, etc) and that's all they care about. They use electricity, but don't necessarily have to know what electrons are. They use water, but don't have to know that it H2O. Stupid article, really.

But electricity isn't marketed as electrons. You can thank the douchebags at Apple, but the Cloud is marketed as the Cloud.

• @pbean said:

They use water, but don't have to know that it's H2O.

Yes they do.

• @dhromed said:

@pbean said:

Yes they do.

Cue "dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous chemical" debate.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Ben L. said:

Hyeah. Like there's such a thing as a non-dangerous chemical.

• @Ben L. said:

@dhromed said:

@pbean said:

Yes they do.

@Internet said:

Should I be concerned about Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Yes, you should be concerned about DHMO! Although the U.S. Government and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) do not classify Dihydrogen Monoxide as a toxic or carcinogenic substance (as it does with better known chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and benzene), DHMO is a constituent of many known toxic substances, diseases and disease-causing agents, environmental hazards and can even be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful.

I would also like to point out that since Obamacare there is a lot of issues with "DHMO".

• Can we finally drop the Dihydrogen Monoxide thing already? Everyone knows it's water. At least use a "formal" name for it that not everyone knows like hydroxylic acid.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Can we finally drop the Dihydrogen Monoxide thing already? Everyone knows it's water.

You'd be surprised.

•  I like to think of the Cloud as a one place where you keep the data, it drifts around, some sunny days its not there at all ..  and then on bad days it dumps on you.

(this is written from the viewpoint of the UK..) 

• @mikedjames said:

I like to think of the Cloud as a one place where you keep the data, it drifts around, some sunny days its not there at all ..  and then on bad days it dumps on you.

From the viewpoint of the Arizona desert:

The Cloud is completely absent for months at a time, then it goes into "monsoon" phase where it shows up alternate days to knock over trees, scour the paint from cars, rip roofs off buildings and strand motorists in raging torrents.

• @da Doctah said:

@mikedjames said:

I like to think of the Cloud as a one place where you keep the data, it drifts around, some sunny days its not there at all ..  and then on bad days it dumps on you.

From the viewpoint of the Arizona desert:

The Cloud is completely absent for months at a time, then it goes into "monsoon" phase where it shows up alternate days to knock over trees, scour the paint from cars, rip roofs off buildings and strand motorists in raging torrents.

From the viewpoint of where I am all day, every day:

What the hell is a Cloud? Is it that thing next to the water heater?

• @Ben L. said:

From the viewpoint of where I am all day, every day:

Those are cobwebs, Ben. Now shush and eat your silver fish.

• @mikedjames said:

I like to think of the Cloud as a one place where you keep the data, it drifts around, some sunny days its not there at all

That would explain why Cairo lacks "Cloud Computing".

• @Ben L. said:

Close. That thing is a vat full of diesel and fertilizer. The Cloud is what will happen when the heater gets started.

• @OzPeter said:

And probably the best comment I saw from the /. story was basically
    when trying to explain cloud computing, replace "the cloud" with "somebody else's computer"

So "Our data is backed up in the cloud" becomes "Our data is backed up on somebody else's computer" .. etc

That's what gets me when executives of large hospitals dream about a future where they move their data to "The Cloud".

You have huge quantities of highly confidential data, with extremely high uptime requirements and the need for low-latency high-throughput data transmission.  You'd really trust "The Cloud" to deliver the level of service you want, with the confidentiality you require, and do it cheaper than you can do operating your own data center?

• @Cat said:

@OzPeter said:

And probably the best comment I saw from the /. story was basically
    when trying to explain cloud computing, replace "the cloud" with "somebody else's computer"

So "Our data is backed up in the cloud" becomes "Our data is backed up on somebody else's computer" .. etc

That's what gets me when executives of large hospitals dream about a future where they move their data to "The Cloud".

You have huge quantities of highly confidential data, with extremely high uptime requirements and the need for low-latency high-throughput data transmission.  You'd really trust "The Cloud" to deliver the level of service you want, with the confidentiality you require, and do it cheaper than you can do operating your own data center?

Odds are that your data center is not staffed by people used to do a small number of tasks frequently, but rather by jacks of all trades. Which one do you want to handle the firmware update, fabric rezoning or SAN controller software patching for the infrastructure hosting those critical systems? Disasters frequently occur when someone handles a critical task that he does not perform regularly - which is a big difference maker with cloud providers who have armies of one-trick ponies for each kind of task.

When data is confidential and uptime is critical, a clould provider may or may not be a better scenario. In my experience, the best in that context is often to have a local infrastructure but keep service contracts with vendors for each piece of equipment - use the vendor experts (and liability) but have the local staff oversee their work.