Google is a douche

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@SilentRunner said:

I'm acting like someone who is offended by reading gutter language in a technical forum. It's bad enough I have to [b]read over all that junk about SQL[/b].

So you don't want to read about technical issues, either? Then what the fuck do you want?

Why should I also have to read offensive words?

I find your religion offensive. Why should I have to read about it?  Runner, if you were in my shop and used religion like that anywhere, you would have been out the door yesterday.

• 1) This is a site called TheDailyWTF. You know what that last letter means, right? It's not "failure". If you'd prefer to visit TheDailyOhRats, then go ahead.

2) Stop being offended by "certain words". Especially when they're not even directed at you. The only reason you don't like them is because you've been taught not to like them. In reality, they are merely part of the language, and thus part of communication. I don't use them myself, on account that I too have been taught that they tend to come off a little low-brow, but don't tell my wife I said that. You would be VERY offended when she gets upset... Then again, maybe you need exposure therapy and desensitization training so you won't look like a dick [url=http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/26520/300149.aspx#300149]all[/url] [url=http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/26387/297341.aspx#297341]the[/url] [url=http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/26008/288553.aspx#288553]time[/url].

You decided to post to this thread solely to complain about the communication technique. What's the point??

• @SilentRunner said:

I'm pointing out that his use of certain words detract from his message and are not to be heard in polite company. A minister of any faith could probably show him how he has erred and how he can correct his future behavior.

By the way, I'm not acting like a dick. I'm acting like someone who is offended by reading gutter language in a technical forum. It's bad enough I have to read over all that junk about SQL. Why should I also have to read offensive words?

You're either a brilliant troll or the most naive user on this forum for posting this. Either way I think I'm about to be entertained by the responses.

I agree that the language around here is usually offensive. But I've never made myself a target by complaining.

Oops.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@SilentRunner said:

By the way, I'm not acting like a dick. I'm acting like someone who is offended by reading gutter language in a technical forum.
    You could always just not read this thread/closed the window, since your first post on it was complaining about the swearing, and none of the subsequent ones have been about Google...

• @SilentRunner said:

@Xyro said:

SilentRunner, knock it off. You're not doing the Church any favors by acting like a dick.

I'm pointing out that his use of certain words detract from his message and are not to be heard in polite company. A minister of any faith could probably show him how he has erred and how he can correct his future behavior.

By the way, I'm not acting like a dick. I'm acting like someone who is offended by reading gutter language in a technical forum. It's bad enough I have to read over all that junk about SQL. Why should I also have to read offensive words?

You know, there is this thing called free will.  Just as I choose to not go to church, you too can choose to not come to this forum.

Just do us all a favour and throw yourself head-first into a wood-chipper...

• @C-Octothorpe said:

Just do us all a favour and throw yourself head-first into a wood-chipper...

Sorry, the woodchipper is on [url=http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/26533/300504.aspx#300504]vacation[/url].

• @SilentRunner said:

I'm pointing out that [...] certain words [...] are not to be heard in polite company. A minister of any faith could probably show him how he has erred and how he can correct his future behavior.

lol

@SilentRunner said:

I'm acting like someone who is offended by reading gutter language in a technical forum

Ignore it. Move on.

• @Lorne Kates said:

Runner, if you were in my shop and used religion like that anywhere, you would have been out the door yesterday.
    Thank God he's not in your shop!!!

• @SilentRunner said:

Yes, sir, your use of the f-word and c-word certainly indicates you are a retard. But since you seem to recognize your mental and social condition, there may be hope for you. See your local Christian minister. He can help you.

I'm sorry, after reading many of blakeyrat's comments, I understood this was now the way to formulate comments on these boards. Also I was pretty annoying. I shall try to restrain myself in the future. Thanks for the feedback, though, I shall seek out my local minister, albeit not a Christian one.

• @pbean said:

I'm sorry, after reading many of blakeyrat's comments, I understood this was now the way to formulate comments on these boards. Also I was pretty annoying. I shall try to restrain myself in the future. Thanks for the feedback, though, I shall seek out my local minister, albeit not a Christian one.

But my posts are brilliant to start with. The swear words are like a great chef adding just the right amount of spices to his award-winning dish.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

The swear words are like a great chef adding just the right amount of spices to his award-winning dish.

Do not accidentally mix up the chilli flakes and the "fuck enhancement" jars.

• I think most of Blakey's dishes, when served, go very well with a nice hot cup of shut the fuck up.

• Gah again with Google.... in some circles on the internet I've noticed the word "plot" being used as a synonym for something like arse or butt, but I didn't know this usage. So I googled "plot synonym for ass". Friendly as google is, it changed by "plot" by "story" and now I get results with only the words "synonym", "ass" and "story" with no sign of the word "plot".

@blakeyrat said:

@pbean said:

But my posts are brilliant to start with. The swear words are like a great chef adding just the right amount of spices to his award-winning dish.

"Worst dish of the millenium" sure is an award, but I'm not sure it's one to be particularly proud of.

• @pbean said:

Gah again with Google.... in some circles on the internet I've noticed the word "plot" being used as a synonym for something like arse or butt, but I didn't know this usage. So I googled "plot synonym for ass". Friendly as google is, it changed by "plot" by "story" and now I get results with only the words "synonym", "ass" and "story" with no sign of the word "plot".

@blakeyrat said:

@pbean said:

"Worst dish of the millenium" sure is an award, but I'm not sure it's one to be particularly proud of.

It's rude to add something after a good punchline. Of course you wouldn't know because you never do good punchlines. Are you a woman?

• Either he’s a REALLY effective troll or he has the intelligence of the average Fox News “reporter”.

I’ll go ahead and take the more likely one based on the usage of the word “retard”.

• @Ben L. said:

Either he’s a REALLY effective troll or he has the intelligence of the average Fox News “reporter”.

FTFY.

• @mott555 said:

@Ben L. said:

Either he’s a REALLY effective troll or he has the intelligence of the average Fox News “reporter”.

FTFY.

Technically I was right because zero times zero is still zero.

• @SilentRunner said:

@Xyro said:

SilentRunner, knock it off. You're not doing the Church any favors by acting like a dick.

..... technical forum ......

God help you son.

• @blakeyrat said:

There are so many things wrong with that sentence.

@dhromed said:

AHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAHAAHidiot.

Sorry, it's probably because I play tetris like this

I've gotten so used to the people at the tetris community being at same level (or near it) that I forgot there are normal people that aren't aware of this level of gameplay.

And no, that is NOT fast-forwarded.

• @bundat said:

Sorry, it's probably because I play tetris like this

Ok, 1) you're a liar.

2) you haven't demonstrated yet that playing Tetris has anything to do with brain power

@bundat said:

I've gotten so used to the people at the tetris community being at same level (or near it) that I forgot there are normal people that aren't aware of this level of gameplay.

1. you're an asshole

@bundat said:

And no, that is NOT fast-forwarded.

1. duh, we're not idiots

All that video shows is that some Tetris players, though years of muscle memory and rote memorization, can play Tetris quickly because they've memorized the best place to put blocks for any given layout. That says nothing about "brain power"-- you could train a chimp to do that if you spent enough years at it.

• @Ben L. said:

@zzo38 said:
    Google makes everything difficult.
    Okay, I want you to re-read your own post. Slowly.

Without Google, the only good search engine™®, you'd still be using AltaVista. Or maybe you wouldn't even have internet access because nobody thought the internet was worth it and it was just thrown out.

I used AltaVista back when it was the most commonly used search engine and it worked pretty well.  It's been a long time, but I don't remember having the same problems with AltaVista that I have with Google.  As good as Google is, it has gotten progressively worse.

• LMFAO @ "lying".

Seriously, go to tetrisfriends.com and watch any platinum room, there are tons of players playing at this level. Everyone who can compete @ harddrop.com is near this level. Just watch any netplay match using the 3rd party client NullpoMino. And don't even get me started on the TGM players @ tetrisconcept. A LOT of them can play blind tetris (no, I cannot do that).

And lol @ this being memorization.

With many concepts and theories, from basic ones such as balancing move finesse (a technique to place any block at any position in only 2 directional-keypresses) with DAS preservation for speed issues, the competitive mind games e.g. sending a b2b t-spin early at the start of the game will disrupt players who try to use scripted openers such as a DT cannon or a side 4-wide, but doing it against a center competent 4-wide player, will only give him additional 4-line attacks to send back to you... but you can do it anyway if he has a blocking pattern that will forfeit his 4 wide, which you can do by watching your opponent's next pieces...

Which brings me to another aspect of the game, look-ahead... people who play casually don't even look ahead to the next 1 piece, decent players look ahead multiple pieces into their incoming stack, top players can EVEN look-ahead their opponent's pieces, and determine when the attacks will come in (e.g. when he is holding a I or T piece, and another is incoming, etc.)

Seriously, LMFAO @ dissing the game when you don't know shit about it.

• @bundat said:

LMFAO @ "lying".

Seriously, go to tetrisfriends.com and watch any platinum room, there are tons of players playing at this level. Everyone who can compete @ harddrop.com is near this level. Just watch any netplay match using the 3rd party client NullpoMino. And don't even get me started on the TGM players @ tetrisconcept. A LOT of them can play blind tetris.

I don't deny any of this.

I just think you're not one of those people.

@bundat said:

And lol @ this being memorization.

Even though it is.

@bundat said:

With many concepts and theories, from basic ones such as balancing move finesse (a technique to place any block at any position in only 2 directional-keypresses) with DAS preservation for speed issues, the competitive mind games e.g. sending a b2b t-spin early at the start of the game will disrupt players who try to use scripted openers such as a DT cannon or a side 4-wide, but doing it against a center competent 4-wide player, will only give him additional 4-line attacks to send back to you... but you can do it anyway if he has a blocking pattern that will forfeit his 4 wide, which you can do by watching your opponent's next pieces, which brings me to another level of the game, look-ahead... people who play casually don't even look ahead to the next 1 piece, decent players look ahead multiple pieces into their incoming stack, top players can EVEN look-ahead their opponent's pieces, and determine when the attacks will come in (e.g. when he is holding a I or T piece, and another is incoming, etc.)

Jebus who gives a shit.

BTW this is an awesome URL: http://fumen.zui.jp/?v110@tdZijblzibYiRpgblz8eJwgbYissRp1l8eIwhbus8e?1l8eIwiblz8eRp8e1lgblzYi8eIwRp1lgbai8eKwpbA4Gsd?ssnbusicAAAsdUKnbWKybssnbtsobss6bAgbLeUKpbssDcA?AAAessnbusOcAAAAeUKnbWKobssnbtsobsswbAAA7eAAAAB?cF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3?jbF3jbF3jbF3jbF3jbD3nbA3sbAAA

@bundat said:

Seriously, LMFAO @ dissing the game when you don't know shit about it.

I played as much Tetris as the next guy, I just didn't make it my religion.

And you still haven't demonstrated Tetris has anything to do with brain power.

• ♿ (Parody)

@El_Heffe said:

I used AltaVista back when it was the most commonly used search engine and it worked pretty well.  It's been a long time, but I don't remember having the same problems with AltaVista that I have with Google.  As good as Google is, it has gotten progressively worse.

I know that I don't have the same problems. For sure, I rarely have the problem of not finding what I'm looking for. While google isn't perfect, and some topics are more difficult to get good results than others, this sounds like you've forgotten how awful search engines were before google.

• LMFAO, go to tetrisfriends.com right now and I will decimate you in a few seconds.

And LOL @ not reading. I know tetris jargon is goobledy-gook to non-tetris players, but seriously, MIND-GAMES and READING AHEAD into your OPPONENT's pieces are memorization?

Sure, cool story bro.

That link is a "fumen". I made that specific one when someone wanted asked what a "DT cannon" is. Yo, I made one just for you.

LMFAO @ "making it my religion", I could compete within 2 weeks of playing an hour a day, and its only been under a year I've been playing at the same rate. Many players who DON'T use their brain are stuck at being noobs (and were noobs when I started), butif you actually take the time to learn tactics, strategies, and techniques, improving is not hard.

Know what, I get this. I think you're one of the people who still think tetris is a simple "puzzle" game, that just involves stacking pieces, and didn't even realize it evolved into a complex 1v1 game of attacking and defending.

Seriously, you are cracking me up here. Good shit.

• @bundat said:

LMFAO, go to tetrisfriends.com right now and I will decimate you in a few seconds.

And LOL @ not reading. I know tetris jargon is goobledy-gook to non-tetris players, but seriously, MIND-GAMES and READING AHEAD into your OPPONENT's pieces are memorization?

Sure, cool story bro.

That link is a "fumen". I made that specific one when someone wanted asked what a "DT cannon" is.

LMFAO @ "making it my religion", I could compete within 2 weeks of playing an hour a day, and its only been under a year I've been playing at the same rate. Many players who DON'T use their brain are stuck at being noobs (and were noobs when I started), butif you actually take the time to learn tactics, strategies, and techniques, improving is not hard.

Know what, I get this. I think you're one of the people who still think tetris is a simple "puzzle" game, that just involves stacking pieces, and didn't even realize it evolved into a complex 1v1 game of attacking and defending.

It seems like you just want to talk about competitive tetris. You might want to try a different forum for that...

• @bundat said:

LMFAO, go to tetrisfriends.com right now and I will decimate you in a few seconds.

And that would further the debate... how?

@bundat said:

That link is a "fumen".

Is that one of the original 151, or one of those crazy new additions?

@bundat said:

Why did you bother coming here and posting if you're not trying to convince us of your position? You said being good at Tetris requires brainpower. You've yet to demonstrate that. So why bother posting?

• @blakeyrat said:

And that would further the debate... how?

Yo seriously? You have to ask how it is relevant? LMFAO. Sad @ not having the brain power to actually connect the dots.

Here let me spell it out for you: It'll prove I'm not "lying" as you say you are.

LMFAO @ ignoring the challenge tho. Nice fear.

@blakeyrat said:

Is that one of the original 151, or one of those crazy new additions?

Sad @ that comeback. Seriously, that's all you can come up with? Horrid.

Yo check my hot edit to that line above.

@blakeyrat said:

You said being good at Tetris requires brainpower. You've yet to demonstrate that

LOL @ not quoting the part about mind-games and reading ahead.

You don't have any argument against that line, and it contradicts this very post, so you clown me by not quoting it. Good shit. Fraud-ass poster

• Quick survey everybody!:

1) Is Bundat for real?

2) Seriously?

3) How the fuck do you think he found this site?

• @blakeyrat said:

Quick survey everybody!:

1) Is Bundat for real? 42

2) Seriously? D)

3) How the fuck do you think he found this site?  Tetris

• Yo LMFAO @ ignoring my post totally because it shuts your fraud-ass arguments down. What a clown.

I'm here because I am a software dev, and I actually HAD SOMETHING to contribute to the discussion (LMFAO @ it being a 9gag image on how laypeople use google).

LMFAO @ you proving yourself to be a fraud by not actually contributing anything relevant to that topic tho. Good shit.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

You said being good at Tetris requires brainpower. You've yet to demonstrate that. So why bother posting?

I don't really get this guy's thread derailment (though in that sense it makes as much sense as any other derailment) except that he wants to brag about his mad Tetris skillz. But are you really arguing that playing Tetris well doesn't require brain power. Sure, it's not the same sort of brain power as you would use for solving differential equations, but it's puzzle solving under pressure, which takes brain power.

But, eh, I guess your counter-troll has been successful, and I applaud you for that.

• @lethalronin27 said:

@bundat said:

Sure, cool story bro.

That link is a "fumen". I made that specific one when someone wanted asked what a "DT cannon" is.

It seems like you just want to brag about competitive tetris. You might want to try a different forum for that...

FTFY

Seriously @bundat, I agree with blakeyrat on your douchebaggery, the use of LMFAOs alone makes you look bad, take a break and rethink your strategy. A quick look at our ToS tells me that among the stuff that is aceptable to discuss about around here are: programming stuff, religion, politics, dhromed, horses, non programming stuff, horses, one on one with morbs, horses and in some rare occasions the burn of the blakeyrage and how it will condemn you to hell and MLP re-runs.

• @bundat said:

Yo LMFAO @ ignoring my post totally because it shuts your fraud-ass arguments down. What a clown.

I'm here because I am a software dev, and I actually HAD SOMETHING to contribute to the discussion (LMFAO @ it being a 9gag image on how laypeople use google).

LMFAO @ you proving yourself to be a fraud by not actually contributing anything relevant to that topic tho. Good shit.

No, it's just that your posts are starting to amount to noise.  That's not to say that any of your previous posts were of any value...

• @boomzilla said:

I don't really get this guy's thread derailment

People don't like being called idiots, liars, and assholes, for one.

I'm not trolling anyone except BlakeyRat tho... it's not like I was unprovoked or anything.

And seriously, at least I had something relevant to add to this thread. Back read and try to find one post of BlakeyRat's that was relevant.

• @bundat said:

@boomzilla said:

I don't really get this guy's thread derailment

I'm not trolling anyone except BlakeyRat tho... it's not like I was unprovoked or anything.

And seriously, at least I had something relevant to add to this thread. Back read and try to find one post of BlakeyRat's that was relevant.

He's contributed far more than your tetris dick-swinging has.

• @C-Octothorpe said:

He's contributed far more than your tetris dick-swinging has.

Quote it then.

I'm pretty sure my posted image link LITERALLY answers every question of every post here as to why google skips words in queries.

How is that not relevant?

Seriously, backread people, you act like I was unprovoked, and that I trolled ALL of you (and not JUST blakeyrat).

• @atipico said:

@El_Heffe said:
    That's complete bullshit.  If I type  <font face="courier new,courier">newrelic jetty maven</font>  don't give me results that only contain two of those words.  That's not what I asked for.  (...) Google doesn't need to read my mind.  Google doesn't need to guess what I'm searching for. 

You, sir, are the minority. We all here are the minority. And google knows that.
    Here is what the majority looks like: (someone else posted the link but I think the entire image needs to be posted).

So, indeed, google HAS to perform some mind-reading and term-ignoring on the majority of its input.

Have you ever got near a normal, non tech-savvy user and see what they type into google? It's somewhat between funny and scary.

Unfortunately you have completely missed the point here.   The general stupidity and/or cluelessness of the majority of people on the Internet is irrelevant.

If my mom types:   My PC is overheated how do I get it to cool down because I'm afraid it will use too much electricity and maybe burn the cat    then it would be perfectly reasonable for Google to attempt to parse that sentence and figure out what to display.   However, when I type   PC overheating solutions   Google should be smart enough to recognize that there is nothing to parse and they just need to display results which contain all three words.

Overall, I usualy get pretty good results form Google.  But, on the rare occassion when I don't,  it's not because I'm searching for the wrong thing.  It's because of Google's deliberate (and now well documented) behavior of ignoring what I have typed.

• @bundat said:

I

Sorry about my supercaps. I was in a mood.

Still, playing tetris at such an extreme level, or playing Starcraft (II) at that level is about equivalent. If you played Starcraft at that level, I might be quietly deciding where to place my first depot or whatever and 30 seconds later you'd be all over my base with a screen-filling horde of ultras leaving me wondering what the hell happened.

So I don't deny that eXtreme Tetris takes fairly deep knowledge of the game plus lots of fast reflexes and lots of memorization (because hey, it does.), but it's squarely in the realm of bullshit to say that no recent games offer equal opportunity to become a sort of superguru. 

• ♿ (Parody)

@bundat said:

The people on this forum do. Otherwise, how does it continue?

• @blakeyrat said:

Quick survey everybody!:

1) Is Bundat for real?

2) Seriously?

3) How the fuck do you think he found this site?

4) What the fuck is a "fumen".

• Unfortunately you have completely missed the point here.   The general stupidity and/or cluelessness of the majority of people on the Internet is irrelevant.

If my mom types:   My PC is overheated how do I get it to cool down because I'm afraid it will use too much electricity and maybe burn the cat    then it would be perfectly reasonable for Google to attempt to parse that sentence and figure out what to display.   However, when I type   PC overheating solutions   Google should be smart enough to recognize that there is nothing to parse and they just need to display results which contain all three words.

Overall, I usualy get pretty good results form Google.  But, on the rare occassion when I don't,  it's not because I'm searching for the wrong thing.  It's because of Google's deliberate (and now well documented) behavior of ignoring what I have typed.

Just a guess, but that's probably because when someone types like:

dalmatian and poodle store

They want "dalmatian-only stores" and "poodle-only stores" to show up as well, since it might be relevant.

Thing is, Google is trying to think like an average person (who look for stores and funny stuff on google), and model their search engine around it, instead of those who are looking for

- solutions to technical problems, that only occur with some obscure software with no support forum

- a specific page of an obscure user manual you lost

- that one forum post with a detailed guide to an esoteric OS hack (which can't be found anywhere else)

because those people are like 1% of their target audience.

• LMFAO this LMFAO bundat LMFAO guy LMFAO seems LMFAO like LMFAO a LMFAO jolly LMFAO fellow LMFAO

Also, I suspect bundat was spontaneously generated out of the ether in order to fulfill the law of nature that a significant quota of threads on this forum must derail into discussions of video games. ... Usually it's about doing interesting things with FPS or RPGs, but I guess Tetris is a video game too, even if you can train a chimp to play it.

By the way, I broke down and read Wikipedia and learned the difference between SystemShock and BioShock. But why did they have to name them that way? It's confusing. Kinda like Java and Javascript. Lame!

• @serguey123 said:

the use of LMFAOs alone makes you look bad,

Now now, don't be that guy.

• Sorry about my supercaps. I was in a mood.

Yeah we're cool.

If you played Starcraft at that level

I used to... was a huge fan of SlayerS_BoXeR. Wanted to try to qualify for WCG once... but then I started failing classes LOL, so I had to stop. So yeah, I know where you are coming from.

it's squarely in the realm of bullshit to say that no recent games offer equal opportunity to become a sort of superguru.

Naw, I was just pissed because I had just recently played some games with "forced tutorial modes". Heck, there's an entire trope about it. Guess I was referring to those in that... the devs are treating the players like they are idiots.

• @boomzilla said:

@bundat said:

The people on this forum do. Otherwise, how does it continue?

We don't like being called idiots, liars and assholes.  But we are, so, there you go.

• @bundat said:

the devs are treating the players like they are idiots.

I heard the biggest reason The Witcher has its arrogant tutorial intro is because it does such a spectacular shit job explaining things that are need-to-know, as opposed to things you can find out by playing.

I also heard Dark Souls I and II are right up your alley, being the game industry's way of saying "Fuck you, player. Now die."

@bundat said:

Yeah we're cool.

I have that effect on people. You're not worthy of the purple dildo, though.

• @El_Heffe said:

We don't like being called idiots, liars and assholes.  But we are, so, there you go.

Yep.

• What the hell, how did this thread suddenly get necroed and turned into a Tetris fanboy discussion? Did the forum suddenly generate enough entropy to form a trolling entity out of nothingness?

@El_Heffe said:

But, on the rare occassion when I don't,  it's not because I'm searching for the wrong thing.  It's because of Google's deliberate (and now well documented) behavior of ignoring what I have typed.

The problem is when I'm searching for the correct thing, and Google decides to display the wrong results (ie. mostly unrelated to what I searched for). And to be honest, I would rather like to skip meta-Googling to Google how I should Google (yo dawg...).

• @dhromed said:

@serguey123 said:

the use of LMFAOs alone makes you look bad,

Now now, don't be that guy.

I'm ofended by this comparison!

LMFAO is worse than profanity, don't you have ears ?

But really I have nothing against profanity or stupid internet acronyms but I think that peppering a post with either of them predisposes the reader (or at least me) to consider the post and to some extent the poster as worthless. I shall now continue my endeavor to plot a cunning plan to dispose of the evil demonspawns that are horses...