Average age of TDWTF'ers

• 22 in 18 days 4 hours 30 minutes (Canada/Mountain time) as of this post. Started with DOS around the age of 3, then got Windows 3.11 around 8. I didn't actually start any programming until the age of 14, although I don't plan to do programming as a profession, went to college for system administration last year.

• SELECT DATEDIFF(y, date_born, GETDATE()) AS age FROM users WHERE user_id = 'Nelle'

----

----------------

(1 rows )

• Wow, not many younger people here...

I'm 18, I started programming in VBA in Excel and VB3 when I was 8 or 9 (didn't have anything else at the time). Now I mainly do web development using PHP and MySQL. I'm a second-year university student at Swinburne University in Melbourne Australia, studying Software Development.

• @Daniel15 said:

Wow, not many younger people here...

Yes there are, it's just you are even younger. ;)

• @dhromed said:

Yes there are, it's just you are even younger. ;)

Yeah, I expected a more "seasoned" crowd here too.  I'm 31 and a bit.  Started with Apple ][ Basic back around 1989-1991. Went on to GWBasic and the monkeying with the TI-81 calculator in math class.

• @skippy said:

monkeying with the TI-81 calculator in math class.
    Ahh yes I remember that.  It was TI-83 for me but whatever. 

• @skippy said:

Yeah, I expected a more "seasoned" crowd here too.

pesto is seasoned with basil.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@skippy said:

Yeah, I expected a more "seasoned" crowd here too.

pesto is seasoned with basil.

...and the older members are seasoned with..."thyme"?

• @vr602 said:

...and the older members are seasoned with..."thyme"?
    *rolls up newspaper* BAD!

• I personaly prefer ny crowd seasoned with garlic... [i][b]LOTS[/b][/i] of garlic...

• @galgorah said:

I personaly prefer ny crowd seasoned with garlic... LOTS of garlic...

OK. Excuse me, but I don't get this. Can someone enlighten me? Is this serious or somehow funny? Perhaps it's a cross-continental thing. All help appreciated (please remember, I'm a bit old and perhaps out of touch).

• It's a cannibal joke that apperently went over your head.  While not exactly the funniest of quips I shall admit, it is however easily ignored if one is so inclined.

•  @galgorah said:

It's a cannibal joke that apperently went over your head.  While not exactly the funniest of quips I shall admit, it is however easily ignored if one is so inclined.

Oh?  I thought it was a lame vampire joke </shrug>

• 26, first started programming when i was 18

•  25. Started programming at 15 with pascal. Did acedemic work with pascal, c, little assembly, java (mostly), prolog, ruby (on rails), F#, javacc. BS in computer science, minor in mathematics.

Currently an application engineer (code name for wears a lot of hats: from requirements gatherer to designer to developer to tester to system integrator) primarily using java. I also have the joy of our core application having an Oracle backend (yeah, I also need to join the IHOC).

• :belt_onion:

@MorallyLost said:

yes F# - google it
    Here you go :-)

•  @bjolling said:

@MorallyLost said:

yes F# - google it
    Here you go :-)

Ha, was trying to avoid the inevitable FTFY C# post. Cause you know the keys are like right next to each other and everything...

• Current age: 27. Started with the C-64, monkeying around with BASIC sometime around '85.

@belgariontheking said:

@skippy said:

monkeying with the TI-81 calculator in math class.
    Ahh yes I remember that.  It was TI-83 for me but whatever. 

TI-85, TI-83 and finally TI-89 in my college years. I once had an HP-38G but got annoyed at it being so different from the TI calcs.

Also, my dad gave me his TI-59, though that one died before I could use it for complex stuff.

• @danixdefcon5 said:

Current age: 27. Started with the C-64, monkeying around with BASIC sometime around '85.

Assuming that you haven't had your birthday yet, that would make you born in 1981. So you started programming at 4?

• @MorallyLost said:

@danixdefcon5 said:

Current age: 27. Started with the C-64, monkeying around with BASIC sometime around '85.

Assuming that you haven't had your birthday yet, that would make you born in 1981. So you started programming at 4?

Your math is correct. Of course, it would be the basic stuff you find in those "BASIC for kids" books.

Actual useable code wouldn't be produced until 1989, when I finally got the C-64's disk drive. No use to do complex stuff when you can't save it, unless you like writing zillions of lines... or typing them back. Remember those magazines with BASIC games' source code on them?

• Almost 20 here.

I have been fiddling with computers since I remember. My first real program was a sokoban-like game in Visual Basic 4. My language history:

VB4 -> Turbo Pascal -> Delphi -> Java -> PHP -> C -> C# -> Python

First BASIC program - Interact 1979

First FORTRAN program - NAS 370 1981

First Pascal program - Prime 750 1981.

First dBase program - 1987 IBM PC

First C program 1988 MS-DOS PC/XT

First SQL code 1998 Mac/PC/Sybase

Vic-20 1980-83, C-64 1983-1986, MS-DOS PC 1986-1990s Linux 1993-present Win32 1995-present.

• Born January 1967, so at the time of this posting I'm...umm...add last column, carry the remainder.....

42 as of this posting.

• My average age is 25.6.  Evidently, that makes me older than everyone.

• @sas said:

My average age is 25.6.  Evidently, that makes me older than everyone.

lolwut?

•  I'm not sure what the average age is, but I recently turned 40.

First got introduced to computers in 6th grade. Was fortunate that my high school had the first computer class in the city, and one of the few in existence when I started. We had a PDP-11. I got a Vic-20 before entering HS. Moved on to a 64, and didn't get another computer until I got a windows box in the late 90s.

I still mess around with the 64, recently release DirMaster v2.1. A Windows program for managing CBM emulator disk images.

• I'm 30. I too expected the majority of people on here to be much older ... like in their 40s and 50s. Turns out I'm actually one of the 'ancients' myself. :\

• 22 here. Went through a reverse history 

Batch -> Basic -> C -> C++ -> Java -> C# -> C++ -> Managed C++ -> back to C.

This board is much younger than I though.

•  Alright Renan, now that we have all of these entries, it's your job to tally up the average age.

• Among people posting in this thread, aproximately 29.37.

I feel such a nerd now that I've gone and actually calculated it.

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

Among people posting in this thread, aproximately 29.37.

I feel such a nerd now that I've gone and actually calculated it.

[/quote] 

Not good enough!  We need a standard deviation and a nice little picture of a bell curve (no, not a picture of a penis that looks like a bell either).

• 31 here.

Got first taste on a TI99/4A.

• Couple of days shy of my 23rd birthday, first had PC access aged about nine but didn't get free reign on one of my own until college. I'm also one of the few non-coders in the peanut gallery; I tinkered with VB in school but that's about it so far.

• I'm going to just give my age in HEX from now on ...

I'm 29. Next year I'll be 2A like the Energizer Bunny. :-)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@medialint said:

I'm 29. Next year I'll be 2A

Happy Ultimate Answer.

Or try base 36 where you'll be 16. HTH.

Could use a chart.

• I'm 50 ... and a female!

Do I win the Outlier award?

First computer was a Tandy something-or-other, it was color, but had hard plastic cartridges, and the BASIC editor was on the ROM. Perhaps a TRS-80 Mk 2?

So, from BASIC on that through BATCH and QBASIC on DOS on a 286, then a 386 and LucasArts games (yay for batch editing at that point, and I can still tune a mean DOS menu driven config.sys/autoexec.bat), into a 486, Win3.0 (and subsequent variants), a Pentium with Windows 95, and so on...  [I'm more of a hardware guy than anything, it would seem - still solder the occasional board even now, oh the horrors of cheapest mass production lines]

Programming, I started with said BASIC around 1992, and used the school's Apple ]['s, and then into VB 4.0 around late 95 or so, through into C, and now I hack on just about anything people have a need for, be it Perl, PHP, sh, .NET, etc.

-----------------------

I figure if you can't code, you can't code. What language does it matter that you use? I've had profs require us to use C++ in one semester, then the very next semester all assignments are in ANSI C (no, not for embedded, I wish, just basic ole code) and then .NET the next. Same Prof, different versions of the language (I do consider the three to be _almost_ the same, let's not have flamewars about the MS branch of the language, or the fact that C comes in many variety, or the C++ split, yah yah, we can have those discussions elsewhere).

• I'm 17. I got started writing C# when I was 14, but didn't really get into it until I was 16.

•  28, started mucking about with BASIC with my dad.  He wanted to learn about programming at 6, and dragged his 6-yr-old daughter into it too... :)

• @Mel said:

28, started mucking about with BASIC with my dad.  He wanted to learn about programming at 6, and dragged his 6-yr-old daughter into it too
    He had a 6-year-old daughter when he was six?  That's an impressive feat.

• @bstorer said:

@Mel said:
    28, started mucking about with BASIC with my dad.  He wanted to learn about programming at 6, and dragged his 6-yr-old daughter into it too
    Glad I wasn't the only one curious... heh

• @bstorer said:

@Mel said:

Whoops - missed a 6...

@Mel said:

28, started mucking about with BASIC with my dad.  He wanted to learn about programming at 66, and dragged his 6-yr-old daughter into it too

• N early 34, played on the neighbor's C64 1980; started programming 1983 on a C128.
    How about a nice graphic with the distribution?

• @Mel said:

Whoops - missed a 6...

@Mel said:

28, started mucking about with BASIC with my dad.  He wanted to learn about programming at 66, and dragged his 6-yr-old daughter into it too

Holy shit, that's not much better.  He had a child at 60?  While I know that it's technically possible, it's very very rare at that age.  How old is his wife?

• @amischiefr said:

@Mel said:

Whoops - missed a 6...

@Mel said:

Holy shit, that's not much better.  He had a child at 60?  While I know that it's technically possible, it's very very rare at that age.  How old is his wife?

She was also 6.  It's the Family of the Beast.

•  A bit late in responding, but the past few weeks are a blur with the arrival of a new spawn last month.

I'm 45 and got my start in programming using a teletype in high school to connect via a 1200 baud modem to an HP mainframe in the fledgling computers course. Wrote programs in basic and had to save files using punch tapes that recorded everything typed on the teletype.

Graduated to my first home computer the next year (1981), a Commodore Pet with 64k of memory and a cassette tape storage system!

At least my college had gotten rid of their punch card readers and moved up to VT terminals the summer before I started.

• @sabbott64 said:

A bit late in responding, but the past few weeks are a blur with the arrival of a new spawn last month.

I figured this was sort of an "open" thread that people can respond to continuously.

• I am still 24.