Headset woes

• Wife bought headset. Seems decent. Arctis Nova 7.
    Connect to Bluetooth.
    Not an audio device.
    Oh I need this dongle, because we're stuck in 2005. The driver for the device is in the dongle. The dongle is driven by a virtual audio, because we want to connect to multiple devices and blend audio. Who cares. I just want the thing to work on my PC.
    Ok, connect dongle, unpair BT device. Toggle BT on dongle, toggle BT on headset.
    Nothing.
    Paring directly to PC locks up headset's firmware.
    Ok power off.
    Power is not a hard interrupt. WTF?
    Ok website says manufacture reset on left ear driver. Hole too small for paperclip.
    Fuck
    Found pin. Nothing.
    Take off driver screws. No reset.
    Take off other earpad. Another reset hole. They moved it to right ear on this run... Nothing on website about that.
    Reset on right ear driver. Ok it's off.
    Power on and pair with dongle. Firmware update for dongle. Ok. Firmware update for headset.

Still not connected. Needs to connect. Try to force pairing. Nope. Power off and repower on headset. Now it works.

Holy fucking shit... WHY?! Windows can recognize audio devices on bluetooth.

Software allows you to set the headsets audio spectrum.... Is it making changes ON the device? WTF?

And normally I would just buy something else, but proprietary software bloat is the thing right now.
    Install software to control lights on keyboard, PC tower, yadda yadda...

I miss early BT when it just paired... that's it.

• I was pleasantly surprised by how my Sony headphones just worked. I have an intense hatred of the touch controls that are in every way possible worse than buttons though. Except maybe cheaper to produce?
    But they are utter garbage for input.

• Haven't had any pairing problems with The Hole.

• @Parody said in Headset woes:

Haven't had any pairing problems with The Hole.

I've had plenty of bluetooth devices just work. From mice to headphones to keyboards. On PC and Android.
    Even TV.
    Never had a problem.

Then there's this mess...

• Considered Harmful

I was expecting a bicycle thread.

• @xaade said in Headset woes:

Oh I need this dongle, because we're stuck in 2005.

I actually like devices that come with their own receivers. Because who wants to waffle with pairing/unpairing when I want to move a wireless mouse from one laptop to another.

• Considered Harmful

Wife bought it, yes? Well, that seems to absolve you of all responsibility then. Good job getting that out of the way first. But what did you expect, really?

SteelSeries is a gAmiNg brand. That should have been enough on its own. It has their iMmeRsIvE fake-ass surround as one of its key features + "AI" and "X-ray" hearing. You can't get that on all platforms without a dingle-dongle.

Basically, you've got the headset equivalent of Palit's new level of brillance and Absolute Dark Power :wtf:

• @Carnage I have a Sony WH-CH710N with active noise cancellation, which is a real eye-opener when I have reason to turn of the ANC and take off the headset, and I realise just how (...) (...) noisy our world is.
    It has (small) actual buttons that click when pressed, but to know which model it is, I had to look it up in my phone's list of known paired devices, because the model number isn't visible anywhere on the outside of the headset.

• @Steve_The_Cynic said in Headset woes:

@Carnage I have a Sony WH-CH710N with active noise cancellation, which is a real eye-opener when I have reason to turn of the ANC and take off the headset, and I realise just how (...) (...) noisy our world is.
    It has (small) actual buttons that click when pressed, but to know which model it is, I had to look it up in my phone's list of known paired devices, because the model number isn't visible anywhere on the outside of the headset.

Mine is the WH-1000XM4. It's got the power button and the CUSTOM button and nothing else as physical buttons. But, they are good so as long as you don't want to be able to change volume, switch tracks, pause or anything like that without fucking around with a touch pad on the right side, they are good. And yeah, volume up is swipe up on the right side. So if you want to increase the volume a few steps, you are going to look like a retard swiping your right ear over and over. Not to mention, it misinterprets the swipes as horizontal sometimes, and that is the forward/back function instead, so in the middle of chaninging volume, you'll skip back to the beginning of the track, or to the next track. Which is just fucking wonderful while listening to podcasts.

• 🚽 Regular

@Steve_The_Cynic said in Headset woes:

noise cancellation, which is a real eye-opener

Senses are weird.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Carnage yeah I've held on to Bose for so long because of buttons. Even if their image is been ruined by hipsters.

Saw this on the site now.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 12.42.35.png

No!

• 🚽 Regular

@DogsB If you press REDIRECT do you get teleported elsewhere?

@Zecc said in Headset woes:

@DogsB If you press REDIRECT do you get teleported elsewhere?

I panicked and clicked the X. No treasure though.

I miss early BT when it just paired... that's it.

I'm afraid this sentence makes it impossible for me to upvote your post. Bluetooth sucks.

Sure, it will just automatically pair... but to what? Flat mate left his phone lying in his room with bluetooth on and left? Well you won't be connecting to your speakers any time soon I guess.

As far as dongles are concerned, if I really have to get wireless devices I specifically try to get stuff with their own dedicated dongle. It avoids the above bullshit and also the "which of the bazillion listed devices here might be the one I want" guessing game;. I want to connect my widget to a specific thing? Easy, just connect the dongle there. And if needed I can connect it to my USB switch and it will come along when I switch over. But whenever practical I'll take a cable for any wireless crap any time.

</:belt_onion: >

• Considered Harmful

@LaoC said in Headset woes:

This will be the case once the tricycle has run its course.

• @ixvedeusi said in Headset woes:

Sure, it will just automatically pair... but to what? Flat mate left his phone lying in his room with bluetooth on and left? Well you won't be connecting to your speakers any time soon I guess.

User error.

Wifi and a phone is the same. Leave with a phone with wifi on, and it still tries to use wifi out of range.

99.9% of my use cases is I hit discover on PC and thing, and it pairs and I never think about it again. Or it's a wireless ear buds and my phone. Never have a problem.

:belt_onion:

Yeah, this is kinda appropriate here. It's no where near as bad as you make it out to be.

• @acrow said in Headset woes:

@xaade said in Headset woes:

Oh I need this dongle, because we're stuck in 2005.

I actually like devices that come with their own receivers. Because who wants to waffle with pairing/unpairing when I want to move a wireless mouse from one laptop to another.

Fair point.

I never really do anything like this.

Chances are, I'd bring the mouse but forget the dongle in the other machine.

• Considered Harmful

That's no way to talk about your wife!

User error.
    Wifi and a phone is the same. Leave with a phone with wifi on, and it still tries to use wifi out of range.

Judging by your counter-example I think you misunderstood the problem there. Problem I've had many times with bluetooth is: If the device has ever been paired with another phone than mine, chances are it will automatically pair with that again on power-on. If I cannot tell the person with the other phone to unpair, I can't pair because the other phone is hogging it. Or if that other person is in the middle of a phone call, they end up suddenly on loudspeaker and hilarity ensues.

• @Carnage said in Headset woes:

I was pleasantly surprised by how my Sony headphones just worked. I have an intense hatred of the touch controls that are in every way possible worse than buttons though. Except maybe cheaper to produce?
    But they are utter garbage for input.

It is kinda unintuitive, but I have (repeatedly!) found out that Sony consumer electronics quite often just works in an expected (and standard-compliant) way and without maddening "improvements".

• @ixvedeusi said in Headset woes:

User error.

Judging by your counter-example I think you misunderstood the problem there. Problem I've had many times with bluetooth is: If the device has ever been paired with another phone than mine, chances are it will automatically pair with that again on power-on. If I cannot tell the person with the other phone to unpair, I can't pair because the other phone is hogging it. Or if that other person is in the middle of a phone call, they end up suddenly on loudspeaker and hilarity ensues.

That's a problem with that end device, not bluetooth.

Any device I've wanted to have multiple pairings had some UI to switch devices (I have my cars crosspaired with our 2 phones), and simpler devices could be switched by simply entering pair sync mode again. Something I've done with PC peripherals with no problems. I have a speaker, keyboard, and earbuds I've done this with.

This is a direct analog of removing a cabled device from your flatmate's phone and inserting into yours.

My part in the fail was that I expected a PC peripheral that was an audio device to support direct pairing, which PC supports.

The real WTF here was that the firmware locked up.

Had it not locked up, and I could enter pairing mode again, I would have just read the instructions and there'd be no problem.

• BINNED

I was expecting OculusFacebookmeta Quest.

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra said in Headset woes:

I was expecting OculusFacebookmeta Quest.

I'm having trouble getting this POS Cobra to pair with a Gary Fisher.

@Carnage said in Headset woes:

Which is just fucking wonderful while listening to podcasts.

If only technology could have the capacity to remember position in a media file...

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

If only technology could have the capacity to remember position in a media file...

Maybe they could function similarly to the bookmarks people would use in dead tree media.

• Considered Harmful

@izzion said in Headset woes:

Maybe they could function similarly to the bookmarks people would use in dead tree media.

No, that wouldn't work. How would the player codec know what to do with the bookmark? Also then each bookmarking app, in addition to mutating the file, would need to set some sort of ID for the bookmark.

Nope, what's needed here is a separate notebook with a list of named jump times. Too bad that's an index.

@ixvedeusi said in Headset woes:

Easy, just connect the dongle there.

You have a box of dongles, all alike...

Which is one of the (few) real selling points to the Logitech Unifying system; I can pair my mouse to several dongles and (so long as they're not physically nearby to create a race condition) whichever dongle is at the location gets the mouse. Set and forget.

Too bad I can't make my cheap-ass bluetooth barcode scanner do that!

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Headset woes:

Roll perception check, can I notice the small difference?

Rolls 1...

Shit.

Roll perception check, can I notice the small difference?

Rolls 1...

Shit.

I was just about to say "or so you think"

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Headset woes:

The secret magic to counter this is to mark the dongle and device when you unbox them, e, g, with colored stickers. But the best solution is to get cabled devices.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

But the best solution is to get cabled devices.

Then the devices get entangled with the cables.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf And they follow the Quantum Cable Entanglement principle, too. The cables are laying perfectly fine, but as soon as you change their state, they become hopelessly entangled 🍹

• You jest, but:
    https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.0611320104

Spontaneous knotting of an agitated string

Abstract
    It is well known that a jostled string tends to become knotted; yet the factors governing the “spontaneous” formation of various knots are unclear. We performed experiments in which a string was tumbled inside a box and found that complex knots often form within seconds. We used mathematical knot theory to analyze the knots. Above a critical string length, the probability P of knotting at first increased sharply with length but then saturated below 100%. This behavior differs from that of mathematical self-avoiding random walks, where P has been proven to approach 100%. Finite agitation time and jamming of the string due to its stiffness result in lower probability, but P approaches 100% with long, flexible strings. We analyzed the knots by calculating their Jones polynomials via computer analysis of digital photos of the string. Remarkably, almost all were identified as prime knots: 120 different types, having minimum crossing numbers up to 11, were observed in 3,415 trials. All prime knots with up to seven crossings were observed. The relative probability of forming a knot decreased exponentially with minimum crossing number and Möbius energy, mathematical measures of knot complexity. Based on the observation that long, stiff strings tend to form a coiled structure when confined, we propose a simple model to describe the knot formation based on random “braid moves” of the string end. Our model can qualitatively account for the observed distribution of knots and dependence on agitation time and string length.