Second SSD failure in same PC

• Re: Bad block on SSD

14 months ago I had to replace the SSD in my then-18 month old laptop (drive being the same age as the machine) because bad blocks on the drive were causing increasingly frequent BSODs. Y'all were quite helpful.

I've just today had a BSOD with the same stop code I was having then (UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION) and while I'll give it a chance to not happen again, I don't hold out much hope of that.

SSDs are reportedly supposed to have a good lifespan and low failure rate, so what I'm wondering is whether it's worth replacing the drive again, on the assumption that I just got unlucky twice with two dodgy drives, or whether it's time to assume the computer is somehow burning through them and will ruin another replacement just as fast.

And if the latter, does anyone have any idea what might be a likely culprit and whether it's worth trying to fix or I should give it up as a bad job and get a new computer?

• Fake News

@CarrieVS My dad had to replace SSDs after about 6 months when used in the smallest model laptop he had to maintain. Turns out that this particular model originally came with a classic hard disk and that substituting an SSD was a bad idea because the internals of the laptop ran too hot.

So things to check would be if the cooling is still working alright. Listen if you can still hear the fan spinning in there, and check the intake and outtake grilles for dust or hair.

Also consider if you're running it in a way which might hamper convection or air intake. Do you use it with its screen closed or nearly closed when it is sitting on your desk and hooked up to a screen? Or do you happen to frequently put it on your knees or a blanket when using it away from your desk?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. So far I've been lucky.

• I think it's all about luck.

People think AData SSDs are bad, but my AData SX900 is running without any problem about 6 years and counting.

On the other hand, last years my colleague have Samsung SSD (not sure about the model number) that broke at the second month.

Good brand can have poor product, poor brand can have good one. Keep an eye on the Event Viewer for any warning/error with source "Disk".

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cheong said in Second SSD failure in same PC:

People think AData SSDs are bad, but my AData SX900 is running without any problem about 6 years and counting.

Make sure you have a tested backup on a different device. If your luck runs out with the SSD, you'll be ever so happy you had a backup.

Also, be aware that SSDs and HDDs have different failure modes. In particular, SSDs tend to fail into read-only state, and on Windows you can keep working for quite a while in that state. It's just that writes only go into cache, not actually to the disk. You can lose a lot like that. (By comparison, the failure mode for HDDs tends to be very noticeable; the rate of disk reading drops by multiple orders of magnitude as the OS tries over and over to read a bad sector, and you get many bad sectors at once…)

• @CarrieVS For the cost of an SSD, I'd be inclined to replace it, unless you're unhappy with the PC otherwise. Then again, I always get whatever SanDisk or similar is selling for $50 or so.

• @Captain It's not just the cost of the drive, or even the cost of having it installed. (I'm not competent and most certainly not confident to do it myself. No discussion on that point; I am not willing to do it.)

It's all the inconvenience around it as well as a significant chunk of cash. If it was just going to keep happening, because something's wrong with the computer, it's not really acceptable to have to keep being without it for days, then having to reinstall things and deal with software licenses that follows. And in my experience, taking laptops apart is just not good for them; in my personal experience, even when done by professionals, as often as not they come back with some minor thing broken. And this is a particularly bad time to be without my computer, because I'm working from home, using this computer to RDP to my work machine.

However, I'm tentatively optimistic because it's not BSODed again yet.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@CarrieVS said in Second SSD failure in same PC:

if the latter, does anyone have any idea what might be a likely culpri

Do you happen to be running an older version of Spotify?

• @Tsaukpaetra I don't use Spotify at all.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@CarrieVS said in Second SSD failure in same PC:

@Tsaukpaetra I don't use Spotify at all.

Damn. Was hoping to scapegoat it for continually thrashing it. ☹