Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!

• @loopback0 said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

FFS, Niantic has actually made it a lot easier to play just staying at home and they cancelled a lot of events.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

So a news report has Tampa "strongly considering" a stay-at-home/shelter-in-place order starting. The duration? "We'll try 30 days and see after that." Ugh.

A study I read suggested the duration of those mitigation measures should be about 3 months. So yeah. It sucks.

Just remember that by about this time las century people had to deal with a fucking world war, so this is comparatively pretty tame.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Long article with a lot of data:

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

Lots of data with lots of very subjectively colored conclusions that seem to either not follow or outright contradict that data.

In short, as that comparison has already been made, it seems similar to saying "why did we spend all that time fixing Y2K when nothing really happened?"

A few snippets:

The US population is 5.5X greater than Italy, 6X larger than South Korea, and 25% the size of China. Comparing the US total number of cases in absolute terms is rather silly.

But it isn't. If you use relative numbers instead, that will just shift the curve a bit, but not make a difference. Under exponential growth, it just means you're maybe two weeks behind.

Cases globally are increasing (it is a virus after all!), but beware of believing metrics designed to intentionally scare like “cases doubling”. These are typically small numbers over small numbers and sliced on a per-country basis. Globally, COVID-19’s growth rate is rather steady. Remember, viruses ignore our national boundaries.

Viruses though don’t grow infinitely forever and forever. As with most things in nature, viruses follow a common pattern — a bell curve.

True but completely misleading. Of course, tautologically, the growth is capped at 100% max. The models that paint a worst case without mitigations of ~60% spread also follow a bell curve. How is that reassuring? That doesn't change that it will grow exponentially until the inflection point, and where that point is is strongly dependent on what we do to stop the spread.

Here is a graph from Italy showing a bell curve in symptom onset and number of cases, which may point to the beginning of the end for Italy —

We will see if that is really the "beginning of the end for Italy", but you do realize that they implemented complete lockdown when you're using this curve to argue it is just hysteria?

93% of people who think they are positive aren’t

Irrelevant to the actual spread.

Higher fatality rates in China, Iran, and Italy are more likely associated with a sudden shock to the healthcare system unable to address demands and doesn’t accurately reflect viral fatality rates.

Um, yes? That's exactly what we're trying to prevent.

This suggests the US will experience a declining fatality rate; however, the US has over 100 million adults with underlying and chronic illnesses that will negatively impact our fatality rate.

"Don't let this 1/3rd of the population with existing illnesses ruin my story."
    I don't think saying that it's mostly dangerous to people with preexisting illnesses and then pointing out how this applies to huge number of people is too reassuring, either.

In CDC’s worst-case scenario, CDC expects more than 150–200 million infections within the US. This estimate is hundreds of times bigger than China’s infection rate (30% of our population compared to 0.006% in China). Does that really sound plausible to you?

China has a sub-par healthcare system, attempted to suppress the news about COVID-19 early on, a lack of transparency, an authoritarian government, and millions of Chinese traveling for the Lunar Festival at the height of the outbreak.

Yes, China has an authoritarian government that implemented more draconian measures than we ever would. And seems to have stopped the spread. How is that an argument that the worst-case scenario, i.e. what happens if we don't take preventative measures, is not plausible. This line of thought is completely absurd.
    Side note: how did he come up with the number 30%?!

There is indubitably room for political discussion about what are good ways to deal with this, and nobody really knows what's best. But this seems to be just a Silly Valley data pusher who's good at lying with numbers.

In the end, hopefully, he will turn out right in that it wasn't as bad as predicted. But not because the problem was overhyped, but because we tried to stop it.

• @topspin And the last paragraphs are Garage material. Seriously. You guys always yell at me but of course Boomzilla gets a free pass.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Karla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@loopback0 said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

FFS, Niantic has actually made it a lot easier to play just staying at home and they cancelled a lot of events.

My kids have been taking walks around the neighborhood to play. It's good exercise for them. But we're not on lockdown.

• BINNED

@Rhywden said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@topspin And the last paragraphs are Garage material. Seriously. You guys always yell at me but of course Boomzilla gets a free pass.

He just posted the article, presumably for the data, he didn't write the last paragraphs. :mlp_shrug:

• ♿ (Parody)

@topspin And the last paragraphs are Garage material. Seriously. You guys always yell at me but of course Boomzilla gets a free pass.

Are they? Based on what you said before it looked like you didn't comprehend them at all. Until you specified what you were talking about I had no idea what you were talking about because there was zero relation between your original troll and TFA.

• @topspin said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

He just posted the article, presumably for the data, he didn't write the last paragraphs. :mlp_shrug:

Be that as it may, it makes the rest dubious because he clearly has an axe to grind. Which goes against what he states: "Look at the data! And don't do hysteria!"

And then he promptly becomes hysterical himself.

• ♿ (Parody)

@topspin said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Which @Rhywden didn't comprehend, even if the photons hit his eyeballs.

• @boomzilla Tell me that's not Garage shit:

Don’t let them forget it and vote

These days are precarious as Governors float the idea of martial law for not following “social distancing”, as well as they liked while they violate those same rules on national TV. Remember this tone is for a virus that has impacted 0.004% of our population. Imagine if this was a truly existential threat to our Republic.

The COVID-19 hysteria is pushing aside our protections as individual citizens and permanently harming our free, tolerant, open civil society. Data is data. Facts are facts. We should be focused on resolving COVID-19 with continued testing, measuring, and be vigilant about protecting those with underlying conditions and the elderly from exposure. We are blessed in one way, there is an election in November. Never forget what happened and vote.

You may ask yourself. Who is this guy? Who is this author? I’m a nobody. That is also the point. The average American feels utterly powerless right now. I’m an individual American who sees his community and loved ones being decimated without given a choice, without empathy, and while the media cheers on with high ratings.

When this is all over, look for massive confirmation bias and pyrrhic celebration by elites. There will be vain cheering in the halls of power as Main Street sits in pieces. Expect no apology, that would be political suicide. Rather, expect to be given a Jedi mind trick of “I’m the government and I helped.”

The health of the State will be even stronger with more Americans dependent on welfare, another trillion stimulus filled with pork for powerful friends, and a bailout for companies that charged us $200 change fees for nearly a decade. Washington DC will be fine. New York will still have all of the money in the world. Our communities will be left with nothing but a shadow of the longest bull market in the history of our country.

"No politics" my ass.

• Java Dev

We're only on social distancing. I like that this allows me to make a walk through the park every day and get some fresh air. But now today, Saturday, warmish and sunny, people decided to go to the beach en masse. There were traffic jams.

I wish they wouldn't do that because it'll get us put on full lockdown and I'll go crazy.

• @boomzilla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@Karla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@loopback0 said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

My kids have been taking walks around the neighborhood to play. It's good exercise for them. But we're not on lockdown.

Yeah, I play more when we walk the dog.

They increased the shiny rate too.

• ♿ (Parody)

Tell me that's not Garage shit:

Yeah, that tiny minuscule little bit at the end...borderline. And then you had to go and hallucinate something that he didn't discuss!

JUST LEAVE SHIT LIKE THAT ALONE IF YOU'RE TOO RETARDED TO COMMENT INTELLIGENTLY.

Yeah, that tiny minuscule little bit at the end...borderline. And then you had to go and hallucinate something that he didn't discuss!

JUST LEAVE SHIT LIKE THAT ALONE IF YOU'RE TOO RETARDED TO COMMENT INTELLIGENTLY.

The point is that he clearly worked backwards: He started out from his soapbox argument and then cherrypicked the data to fit his needs.

And "borderline"? Please. Spare me. You're just as bad as he is.

• ♿ (Parody)

Yeah...I haven't analyzed it enough to endorse the conclusions, but it's an interesting take, if nothing else, and I do think there are significant things in there that contradict some of the prevailing hysteria.

• ♿ (Parody)

The point is that he clearly worked backwards: He started out from his soapbox argument and then cherrypicked the data to fit his needs.

And instead of making a calm comment like that and than backing it up with an argument (see @topspin's comment in case you can't imagine what that might look like) you said something completely wrong and inappropriate.

• @boomzilla
    To be fair, you posted an article that ended with vague allusions to a conspiracy. With all the fake news about COVID-19 making the rounds right now and given the severity of the situation, I can very much understand why that would anger someone.

• @dfdub I'm just not the type who looks at things in isolation - context matters. And if a part of a text is rather dubious then it casts a large shadow over the rest.

A factual analysis should be able to stand on its own.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dfdub said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@boomzilla
    To be fair, you posted an article that ended with vague allusions to a conspiracy. With all the fake news about COVID-19 making the rounds right now and given the severity of the situation, I can very much understand why that would anger someone.

Meh. I don't really see that. He's obviously upset at the severity of the reactions, but FFS, the article was damn long with a lot of stuff in there.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dfdub I'm just not the type who looks at things in isolation - context matters. And if a part of a text is rather dubious then it casts a large shadow over the rest.

And you proved that you understood none of it.

• Considered Harmful

You're just as bad as he is.

I know you won't, but I'm going to ask anyway - could you please stop goddamn pot-kettling all the time! Mommy mommy, he started first! The only thing worse than Garage arguments outside of the Garage is your persistent squawking about it. You won't be given a free pass just because someone else appears to be. Make a slip, I don't really give a damn. Make a bunch of "no u" posts about it, that's gonna be a problem.

Meh. I don't really see that.

If you look into the comments under the article (not the top-level replies, but the replies to those), you'll see that people definitely took those allusions as an excuse for full-on tinfoil-hat conspiracy theories. Which is exactly why this article is harmful.

I won't quote those comments here because they'd catapult this thread into the garage, but I'm certain you will be able to find the ones I'm talking about. And they got way too many upvotes.

• ♿ (Parody)

Meh. I don't really see that.

If you look into the comments under the article (not the top-level replies, but the replies to those), you'll see that people definitely took those allusions as an excuse for full-on tinfoil-hat conspiracy theories. Which is exactly why this article is harmful.

You can get comments like that on any article.

Yes, but we both know he invited and encouraged them with his allusions to a government conspiracy. If he omitted those statements, he'd simply be wrong on the internet, but since he didn't, his article also acts as accelerant on the misinformation dumpster fire that tries to interpret everything happening right now as partisan agenda. And that line of thinking is potentially going to make this crisis far worse than it needs to be.

• Resident Tankie ☭

@boomzilla it must be said, though, that his argument is "who says it'll get as bad as Italy?". The thing is, do you really want to take a chance on this?

https://vimeo.com/398334975

I don't know that it's the wisest possible approach to the situation.

Oh, and that is still "not great, not terrible" stuff. It can actually get worse because as of now triaging hasn't reached the "mass tragedy" stage yet.

• ♿ (Parody)

Yes, but we both know he invited and encouraged them with his allusions to a government conspiracy.

Sorry, I didn't see it as a government conspiracy. Just a prediction based on the actions.

If he omitted those statements, he'd simply be wrong on the internet, but since he didn't, his article also acts as accelerant on the misinformation dumpster fire that tries to interpret everything happening right now as partisan agenda. And that line of thinking is potentially going to make this crisis far worse than it needs to be.

Maybe. Maybe not. Also, any partisanship is something the reader brought with him.

• ♿ (Parody)

@admiral_p said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@boomzilla it must be said, though, that his argument is "who says it'll get as bad as Italy?". The thing is, do you really want to take a chance on this?

Yeah, he makes that argument, and he has some stats to back him up. I don't know if they really say what he thinks they say. The only thing I'm sure of right now is that no one knows enough to accurately predict what's going to happen.

There definitely are countries having an apparently different experience from Italy and it's important that we look at what everyone is doing combined with their different circumstances to figure out where to go from here.

The only thing I'm sure of right now is that no one knows enough to accurately predict what's going to happen.

Which is exactly why you should refrain from making predictions as a layman.

There definitely are countries having an apparently different experience from Italy and it's important that we look at what everyone is doing combined with their different circumstances to figure out where to go from here.

One difference between the two cases is quite obvious: Authoritarian, conformist societies vs. individualistic societies. That individualism and lack of government oversight hurt in a hard-to-manage health crisis like this should be pretty self-explanatory.

• ♿ (Parody)

One difference between the two cases is quite obvious: Authoritarian, conformist societies vs. individualistic societies. That individualism and lack of government oversight hurt in a hard-to-manage health crisis like this should be pretty self-explanatory.

I could not disagree with this more. It seems obvious that China lied and tried to cover it all up. At this point they say it's under control but I've heard reports of whistleblowers in China saying the opposite. Places like South Korea and Taiwan are having a very different experience than Italy. You're vastly oversimplifying and pretty clearly wrong to boot.

The problems we've had in the USA, especially with testing, were due explicitly to government oversight (CDC and FDA). I was reading recently about a company in Utah that was making tests that they were selling internationally but which couldn't previously have been used in the US. Now that they've loosened up and begun allowing more private action we're making significant progress.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Polygeekery said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Another one from this morning: a critical server locked up and needed a reboot. We walked a CSR through that and it failed to come back up. It turned out to be a failed RAID battery that halted POST waiting for "Press F1 to continue". So the BIOS wasn't configured correctly

A week ago the backup server's OS drive decided to seppuku. That was almost as fun.

It seems obvious that China lied and tried to cover it all up.

Possible.

Places like South Korea and Taiwan are having a very different experience than Italy.

And South Korea, Japan and Singapore are not authoritarian and conformist? That would be news to me.

I'm not saying that's a good thing (hell no!), but the behavior of the general population is crucial in times like these, so those attributes seem to help.

The problems we've had in the USA, especially with testing, were due explicitly to government oversight (CDC and FDA).

Those are US-specific problems. What about all European countries? They don't have the same procedures as you, yet they still face the same problems. (Not as bad as Italy, so far, but Italy just seems to have had a lot of bad luck to be the first European country where it got out of control.)

• Resident Tankie ☭

@boomzilla actually, I think I'm in a good position to give an interesting perspective on the issue. I come from a region in Southern Italy called Puglia (population 4m).

Here's our data:

The curve is what you'd expect to see, but look at the numbers. They're very low. Despite this, we're on full lockdown just like Lombardy (population 10m, about 900km further north), where the numbers are much, much higher.

So, is the lockdown in our region justified by the data? It might seem that it isn't. The numbers are extremely low. But, you see, a large portion of the cases (there is no data, but I'm quoting the director of the ward of Infectious Diseases in the region's capital) is due to contagion by those who fled Lombardy right before the lockdown, who then spread the disease to their relatives. My municipality has only had two cases so far. The people are complying mostly (I myself haven't seen any other people than family for two weeks). So I guess that they are making a difference?

• ♿ (Parody)

It seems obvious that China lied and tried to cover it all up.

Possible.

Places like South Korea and Taiwan are having a very different experience than Italy.

And South Korea, Japan and Singapore are not authoritarian and conformist? That would be news to me.

Conformist, probably. I wouldn't call them authoritarian.

The problems we've had in the USA, especially with testing, were due explicitly to government oversight (CDC and FDA).

Those are US-specific problems. What about all European countries?

Yes, they are, but they are also an example of showing that your oversimplification wasn't accurate.

They don't have the same procedures as you, yet they still face the same problems. (Not as bad as Italy, so far, but Italy just seems to have had a lot of bad luck to be the first European country where it got out of control.)

Yeah, Italy had really close ties with China, including direct flights between Rome and Wuhan, and a lot of Chinese workers. Demographics and multiple generations living together (so I've been lead to understand) really work against them here, when the kids are (probably) contagious but unsymptomatic and infecting grandparents in poor health. There there was the "Hug a Chinese" thing one mayor promoted.

In the US, the Seattle area has been very hard hit. They also have some close ties to China. My county is up to 10 (last I remember) cases and the first 3 or 5 were related to people who had recently gone on Nile cruises (WTF?). Every place is going to be different.

• @boomzilla

These days are precarious as Governors float the idea of martial law for not following “social distancing”, as well as they liked while they violate those same rules on national TV. Remember this tone is for a virus that has impacted 0.004% of our population. Imagine if this was a truly existential threat to our Republic.

When it has impacted 0.004% of the population is exactly when you're supposed to enact all the measures you can. Not when it's at 10%. That would be useless.

• ♿ (Parody)

So, is the lockdown in our region justified by the data? It might seem that it isn't. The numbers are extremely low. But, you see, a large portion of the cases (there is no data, but I'm quoting the director of the ward of Infectious Diseases in the region's capital) is due to contagion by those who fled Lombardy right before the lockdown, who then spread the disease to their relatives. My municipality has only had two cases so far. The people are complying mostly (I myself haven't seen any other people than family for two weeks). So I guess that they are making a difference?

It seems clear to me that a lockdown can slow the rate of spread. But is it great enough of a difference compared to social distancing and hygiene discipline compared to the cost? That's something that is very hotly debated, and which TFA I posted strongly believes the stronger measures are not worth it. The jury is definitely still out on this question.

they are also an example of showing that your oversimplification wasn't accurate.

I wasn't trying to give a perfect explanation, just point out one of the many factors that seemed obvious to me. But looking back at my previous post, I can see how that wasn't obvious - sorry for that.

• BINNED

It seems clear to me that a lockdown can slow the rate of spread. But is it great enough of a difference compared to social distancing and hygiene discipline compared to the cost? That's something that is very hotly debated, and which TFA I posted strongly believes the stronger measures are not worth it. The jury is definitely still out on this question.

I could imagine that the "social distancing and hygiene discipline" are almost as good if not quite as good, in theory. But, since he also said

Most American’s don’t wash their hands enough and aren’t aware of how to actually wash your hands.

(which gets a :wtf: from me), it seems quite possible that people wouldn't take those seriously enough to be as effective as they could be. Certainly lots of people here (and what others have posted) haven't taken the social distancing part seriously.

Most American’s don’t wash their hands enough and aren’t aware of how to actually wash your hands.

(which gets a :wtf: from me)

You shouldn't be so surprised. Most people anywhere don't know how to wash their hands properly or at least don't do it.

• @PleegWat said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

We're only on social distancing. I like that this allows me to make a walk through the park every day and get some fresh air. But now today, Saturday, warmish and sunny, people decided to go to the beach en masse. There were traffic jams.

I wish they wouldn't do that because it'll get us put on full lockdown and I'll go crazy.

QFT.

Looking at the weather forecast, I predict a few sunny days followed by lockdown days.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

You're getting in to a "Pascal's Wager" sort of reasoning on this. You do you, but that's not where I would plant my flag.

• BINNED

@Polygeekery
    Join the club! Me and my colleagues have essentially made sure our customers could ramp up in remodeling half their infrastructure, stockpiling whatever they think they'll need and apparently, very important: getting ready to massively crank out bills next month.

(which gets a from me), it seems quite possible that people wouldn't take those seriously enough to be as effective as they could be.

Yes, it is a definite :wtf:. I've had numerous people over the years see me washing my hands and ask if I was a doctor or surgeon. No, I just don't think that soap touching my hands and then rinsing them off counts as washing your hands.

When I went to the grocery they were out of milk, eggs, bread, most meat, etc. I bought a couple of sirloin roasts and some yeast.

I went again today, they are now out of yeast. Eggs, meat, juices, bottled water and other things were entirely out of stock. Lots of produce was back in stock. Green onions were missing, but normal onions had plenty of supply.

I found some of the saddest looking two week old green onions in the back of the fridge that I chopped up to make a Caribbean jerk pork tenderloin. No habanero so I had to make due with Serranos.

There was also one lonely chuck roast which it is up in the air whether it will be a pot roast or ground up to make ground beef.

(which gets a :wtf: from me)

You shouldn't be so surprised. Most people anywhere don't know how to wash their hands properly or at least don't do it.

Hell, I recently learned about people who stand up to wipe!

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

A week ago the backup server's OS drive decided to seppuku.

I wonder what dishonorable act it did commit to warrant such a punishment.

@Zerosquare said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@Tsaukpaetra said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

A week ago the backup server's OS drive decided to seppuku.

I wonder what dishonorable act it did commit to warrant such a punishment.

Reached over 300 days in uptime, I guess....

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

And the last paragraphs are Garage material. Seriously.

Apparently too Garage-y for Medium. The article's been 410'd and the onebox is… less broken than normal Medium oneboxes since it is simply empty and invisible. 😆

• @dkf said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

he article's been 410'd

And now of course all the :tinfoil-hat: ers will feel confirmed and cite this as proof that the conspiracy is real.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Green onions were missing, but normal onions had plenty of supply.

Fortunately, you can substitute one for the other (taking care over quantities, of course).

"social distancing and hygiene discipline" are almost as good if not quite as good, in theory. [...] it seems quite possible that people wouldn't take those seriously enough to be as effective as they could be

Here government is still going for social distancing rather than curfews. Only shops for "esssentials" (food, basic hygiene etc) are allowed to stay open, no of more than 5 people, mandatory to keep a distance of at least 2m with other people. This applies to public space and work-places (though working at home is encouraged). Any work places that can't comply (hairdressers, bars, restaurants, but also offices that would be too small, etc) must close. Apparently people were rather reluctant to comply, so at the end of the week they introduced hefty fines ($100 when converted to USD) for infractions, and threatened to close down any offices and construction sites that don't comply. We'll see if that can finally get the message through.