Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!

• @Karla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

I'm pretty sure the only one we commonly get every 10 years is the DTap (Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis-whooping cough).

Yup, those are all bacterial diseases, so B-lymphocyte immunity that fades out due to the shorter life of B-lymphocytes.

@Karla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

I got one at 8 months pregnant (which may have been less than 10 years since my last one), the child get some protection after birth.

That makes sense since the re-vaccination triggers release of antibodies and those give short-term protection even without the population of corresponding B-lymphocytes. Not done with the antiviral vaccines because the response mechanism is different.

• @BernieTheBernie said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

No. All medical interventions come with a chance of side-effects, in contrast to unit tests.

Well, since some of our unit tests randomly fail, that word contrast is wrong.

• Banned

@topspin @BernieTheBernie @Bulb @dkf thank you for so many reasons against getting a common flu vaccine! I used to feel bad about never getting any but I don't anymore.

• BINNED

@Gąska said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@topspin @BernieTheBernie @Bulb @dkf thank you for so many reasons against getting a common flu vaccine! I used to feel bad about never getting any but I don't anymore.

I don’t get the common flu vaccine either. Common flu has low risk (for me) and the two times I did get vaccinated I both had 3ish days of flu symptoms side effects. Compared to vaccinations for more dangerous diseases where I never had any side effects. So overall a much worse trade-off than other vaccines.
    That is, however, a different story for the usual risk groups where the flu vaccine is often advised.

• @topspin said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

That is, however, a different story for the usual risk groups where the flu vaccine is often advised.

👋
    Just wait until you earn your :belt_onion:!

edit: I never used to get it until I got older and other health issues crept up. Basically in the last 5 years.

• Banned

I assume the downvote is because the QooC bait was way too obvious.

• @Gąska said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

I assume the downvote is because the QooC bait was way too obvious.

If that were true, @Tsaukpaetra would get many downvotes.

On a more serious note, most people here don't get the flu vaccine unless they are in a risk group (usually because of their age).

• BINNED

the QooC bait was way too obvious.

I didn't even catch that until you pointed it out.

• Over the past few years I've had the flu shot on-and-off and I don't think it ever made a difference. Most years I would never get flu, and similarly didn't get it when I had the shot. But a couple times that I did get the shot, I still got the flu anyway.

I don’t get the common flu vaccine either. Common flu has low risk (for me) and the two times I did get vaccinated I both had 3ish days of flu symptoms side effects. Compared to vaccinations for more dangerous diseases where I never had any side effects. So overall a much worse trade-off than other vaccines.

I started getting the flu vaccine the year my daughter was born. Her pediatrician said he gets it every year in hope that one of those strains will help beat the next flu pandemic.

I also don't seem to have any noticeable side-effects. Neither does my daughter. We usually go to urgent care together to get it.

When I was pregnant every single time I saw a doctor they asked if I wanted the flu vaccine. At the time, I was working from home and I don't think I've had the flu. So I didn't see the use.

I was probably a bit vaccine-adverse.

The times I've been really, really sick it was strep and/or bronchitis (also one from a cat bite).

My son had the flu while I was pregnant and I didn't get it. The next time he had it (as well as my husband) I didn't catch it.

In the US babies are usually vaccinated for Hepatitis (A I think) before they leave the hospital after they are born. I told them I don't want her to have it because my understanding was it was usually transmitted sexually or by sharing needles (this is why tattoos were illegal in NYC for a number of years).

My ped explained that when kids get hepatitis the source is often unknown because of how contagious it is.

• @hungrier said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Over the past few years I've had the flu shot on-and-off and I don't think it ever made a difference. Most years I would never get flu, and similarly didn't get it when I had the shot. But a couple times that I did get the shot, I still got the flu anyway.

The vaccine isn't always a good match for the current circulating strains. And even if it were, you still could have gotten a different strain. Or you just had another virus the has similar symptoms.

In the US babies are usually vaccinated for Hepatitis (A I think) before they leave the hospital after they are born. I told them I don't want her to have it because my understanding was it was usually transmitted sexually or by sharing needles (this is why tattoos were illegal in NYC for a number of years).
    My ped explained that when kids get hepatitis the source is often unknown because of how contagious it is.

My mom was just complaining to me yesterday at how dare I let the hospital vaccinate my baby on the first day. I told her to shut her anti-vaxxing pie hole, but now I have some facts to back it up.

• @dangeRuss said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

My mom was just complaining to me yesterday at how dare I let the hospital vaccinate my baby on the first day. I told her to shut her anti-vaxxing pie hole, but now I have some facts to back it up.

When I've brought it up to people w/o children, people with children that didn't get it, or people that just don't remember they all think it doesn't make sense for newborns to get it until I explain it to them (some still don't).

So be gentle with your mother. I assume she wants what is best for her grandchildren.

So be gentle with your mother. I assume she wants what is best for her grandchildren.

She just want something to blame because he's on the spectrum. Considering it was almost a decade ago, there's not much we can do about it now. Although we did just see some lawyer's ad on facebook saying to contact them if your kid is on the spectrum. Probably a bunch of BS though.

• @dangeRuss said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

She just want something to blame because he's on the spectrum. Considering it was almost a decade ago, there's not much we can do about it now. Although we did just see some lawyer's ad on facebook saying to contact them if your kid is on the spectrum. Probably a bunch of BS though.

A very typical human response is to try and find out "why" something happened. Sometimes it just is and there wasn't anything you can do to change it.

The lawyer is probably BS.

I do hope your mother's desire to find a cause doesn't harm her relationship with you and your family.

I do hope your mother's desire to find a cause doesn't harm her relationship with you and your family.

Our relationship is fine. I mean doesn't help that she's lost touch with reality even more than most members of this subforum. I mean she actually thinks that Pence is going to do something other than cut and run after he announced that Biden is the President. I mean I'm mostly on here because she spouts complete bullshit, but unlike @boomzilla she can't even back it up with reasonable sounding links.

I got Hepatitis (not A - it was actually Mononucleosis complication) when I was 3 years old and I know exactly how: In a discussion about cow diet with a neighbors' boy of the same age, we decided to taste some grass.

I guess that couldn't happen today 🚁 👪 - but you never know.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dangeRuss said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

I mean I'm mostly on here because she spouts complete bullshit, but unlike @boomzilla she can't even back it up with reasonable sounding links.

Now if we could just get you to read the text at the links.

• @boomzilla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@dangeRuss said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

I mean I'm mostly on here because she spouts complete bullshit, but unlike @boomzilla she can't even back it up with reasonable sounding links.

Now if we could just get you to read the text at the links.

But :kneeling_warthog:

@hungrier said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Over the past few years I've had the flu shot on-and-off and I don't think it ever made a difference. Most years I would never get flu, and similarly didn't get it when I had the shot. But a couple times that I did get the shot, I still got the flu anyway.

The vaccine isn't always a good match for the current circulating strains. And even if it were, you still could have gotten a different strain. Or you just had another virus the has similar symptoms.

Or it ended up much less severe then it would have otherwise.

• @dcon said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@hungrier said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Or it ended up much less severe then it would have otherwise.

That too.

• Considered Harmful

@Kamil-Podlesak said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

In Germany, all vaccines must be refreshed (except tuberculosis, but apparently tuberculosis vaccination is not being done at all :wtf: ).

A German doc told me a few weeks back I should make sure to get the attenuated-live version of the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine because technically is should be refreshed but only after 50 years—effectively never™ at my age.
    No idea how they came up with the 50 years figure. ICBA to look up how old the vaccine is but I'd be surprised if it was much older than that.

• Considered Harmful

For Hepatitis A that makes sense because it's B you get from blood or sperm while A is a smear infection you can catch anywhere from a toilet seat to a meal or any of the other shit babies like to treat their taste buds to.
    I think if a baby has contact with infected blood or sperm, hepatitis B is probably one of its lesser problems, so I'm not sure why a B vaccine is often recommended at that age.

• An interesting look at the RNA inside the vaccine and why it's the way it is, written for computer people:

Edit: once more I'm amazed at what modern science can do, playing around with nucleotides and protein structures and getting stuff to do the right thing into the right place at the right time. The article starts by casually mentioning a "DNA printer" that looks like some fancy office-grade photocopier. 🤯

• @LaoC said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

For Hepatitis A that makes sense because it's B you get from blood or sperm while A is a smear infection you can catch anywhere from a toilet seat to a meal or any of the other shit babies like to treat their taste buds to.
    I think if a baby has contact with infected blood or sperm, hepatitis B is probably one of its lesser problems, so I'm not sure why a B vaccine is often recommended at that age.

I just checked. Hep-B first shot at birth then two more. Hep-A first shot at 12 months.

So Hep-B is transmitted in other ways than sex and needles. And it seems few know this (including me before my daughter was born).

• Considered Harmful

I just checked. Hep-B first shot at birth then two more. Hep-A first shot at 12 months.

So Hep-B is transmitted in other ways than sex and needles. And it seems few know this (including me before my daughter was born).

It says "Spread by: Contact with blood or body fluids" 🤷
    Perhaps the shot can protect the baby if it got infected at birth from a mother who has it and doesn't know as seems to be frequent.

• BINNED

8A1A011E-DB09-45F0-99C7-963B333F18BA.jpeg

Good ol’ libertarian lies. 🎺

• @topspin Well, point H is not a lie. At least it looks like that's how it will be here.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@topspin said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Good ol’ libertarian lies.

Which vaccine are we talking about here? There's quite a few about now.

• Considered Harmful

@remi said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

a "DNA printer" that looks like some fancy office-grade photocopier. 🤯

Printing error: Out of cytosine. :trollface:

• Fake News

@Bulb Point A might also be true because there's really not enough proof for it (though it's very likely that anyone who is effectively immunized will only spread the virus for a short while).

Everything else is a matter of statistics.

@Applied-Mediocrity Just imagine if HP did DNA printers…

• BINNED

@dkf said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@Applied-Mediocrity Just imagine if HP did DNA printers…

Since printer ink is already more expensive than blood, I'm not sure what could go wrong. 🍹

• ♿ (Parody)

@LaoC said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

It says "Spread by: Contact with blood or body fluids" 🤷
    Perhaps the shot can protect the baby if it got infected at birth from a mother who has it and doesn't know as seems to be frequent.

How does hepatitis B spread?

Hepatitis B is spread through contact with blood of an infected person (even if they show no symptoms).

At birth
    Open cuts or sores
    Sharing toothbrushes or other personal items
    Food chewed for a baby
    Any infected family member or caregiver can pass the virus to your baby.
    The virus can live on objects for 7 days or more.

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

I was going to make some sort of follow-up joke based on the EURion pattern that prevents (some) printers from copying sensitive stuff (banknotes!).

Then I remembered an article I read (saw? heard?) some months ago about gene editing, and how there are commercial services around where you can literally mail-order a specific DNA/RNA sequence. Apparently those services, or at least the most reputable ones, will not provide you with samples that match some specific genomes (e.g. you can't order something that matches smallpox RNA! -- and now that I think of it, I think the topical event that triggered the article was a lab that recreated the smallpox virus...), but the article was also discussing how most genomes can be broken into smaller pieces that happen in several unrelated genomes so nothing prevents someone from ordering those chunks and then they just need to stitch the parts together.

• BINNED

@Applied-Mediocrity said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

I was going to make some sort of follow-up joke based on the EURion pattern that prevents (some) printers from copying sensitive stuff (banknotes!).

Then I remembered an article I read (saw? heard?) some months ago about gene editing, and how there are commercial services around where you can literally mail-order a specific DNA/RNA sequence. Apparently those services, or at least the most reputable ones, will not provide you with samples that match some specific genomes (e.g. you can't order something that matches smallpox RNA! -- and now that I think of it, I think the topical event that triggered the article was a lab that recreated the smallpox virus...), but the article was also discussing how most genomes can be broken into smaller pieces that happen in several unrelated genomes so nothing prevents someone from ordering those chunks and then they just need to stitch the parts together.

How expensive are these printers?
    I assume the answer is pretty damn expensive, but expensive enough to deter some crazy terrorist from printing their own smallpox (instead of assembling the ordered pieces)?

Filed under: with blackjack and hookers

How expensive are these printers?

I have no idea, nor am I motivated enough to search, but based on the fact that it looks like an fancy consumer device (if high-end), and not like a huge research equipment, I guess that it's cheap-enough that there is an actual business in building those machines, and therefore likely accessible to any well-funded large organisation (though probably not to John Random Smith)?

I assume the answer is pretty damn expensive, but expensive enough to deter some crazy terrorist from printing their own smallpox (instead of assembling the ordered pieces)?

My (very hazy) memories from the article was that getting the genomes is only a small part of the process, and that while all the other steps to put a working organism together are known and documented, they are actually quite fiddly and rely a lot on the expertise of specific labs or even specific lab people (i.e. more an art than a science!). Which I took to mean that e.g. a state-funded organisation could probably reasonably manage to do it, but not a single isolated rogue agent (terrorist).

Plus, in the specific case of smallpox, when you think about it it would be a pretty lousy "attack". You're not going to kill thousands of people right away, and since there are still vaccines around (Wiki says that there even was one approved as late as 2007, which raises the interesting question of how they could actually be sure it'd work?) the worst you'd provoke would be some generic disruption while mass vaccination happens. Which, as current events show, would still be a huge shit show, but the epidemics of smallpox being quite different from coronavirus (in particular, no asymptomatic-but-contagious carriers!) I'm not sure it would really be that disruptive, compared to e.g. a good'ol bomb. And if spread by a state agent, again current events are showing that you're at least as likely to be badly hurt by it than whoever you try to infect so it doesn't sound like a very wise move unless you're ready to risk it all but at that point a nuke would be more efficient...

• @boomzilla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

The virus can live on objects for 7 days or more.

I didn't realize it was THAT long.

When I first started judo they always had a disinfectant (I think H202) for bleeding and since it was the 90s, I mentioned HIV.

I was told HIV is extremely fragile when compared to Hepatitis.

My (very hazy) memories from the article was that getting the genomes is only a small part of the process, and that while all the other steps to put a working organism together are known and documented, they are actually quite fiddly and rely a lot on the expertise of specific labs or even specific lab people (i.e. more an art than a science!). Which I took to mean that e.g. a state-funded organisation could probably reasonably manage to do it, but not a single isolated rogue agent (terrorist).

There's also tracking of who is ordering what. When someone new starts ordering DNA or RNA (as opposed to at an established lab) then they're watched much more closely. Unless it's yet more GFP or RFP because nobody cares about that!

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

But I only need to print adenine!

• @remi I remember there being a youtuber doing some sequencing and gene editing in their home lab. It was pretty interesting stuff. As far as I remember, they relied on both ordering some pre-sequenced materials, as well as trying to extract their own from a spider (not sure how that went). They transferred those to yeast, I think.

But I would also suspect that certain well-known sequences are probably hard to get.

Either way, getting a sample of smallpox is such a lame move. Tech might not be quite there yet, but imagine the amount of money you can make with designed viral advertisements. Imagine a rogue virus that puts the Coke-logo on people's skins. Or ... next pandemic you can get two versions of the vaccine. The cheap one puts the Pfizer logo on your forehead; the ad-free deluxe version is of course more expensive.

• @dkf said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

There's also tracking of who is ordering what. When someone new starts ordering DNA or RNA (as opposed to at an established lab) then they're watched much more closely.

That sounds reasonable (assuming, of course, they're ordering from a reputable service who does the needful rather than some shady Chino-russian company that doesn't give a shit about rules (but might equally well send you bottles of pissvodka instead of what you ordered...)), but the article I read said that you could probably order some anodine genes from various species and then splice/stitch them into something entirely different, given how much similarities there are in DNA of totally unrelated species.

• ♿ (Parody)

This is kinda neat (it should take you to the vaccination tracker):

Haven't looked at it in any detail yet.

Since printer ink is already more expensive than blood

Blood is cheap, I’ve gotten all of mine for free my entire life.

• Considered Harmful

@cvi said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

The cheap one puts the Pfizer logo on your forehead

Norton face mask to the rescue! 🍹

• BINNED

@cvi evil ideas is :arrows:

• whish Johns Hopkins U ( covid cases info )
    had vacunation doses applied info.

So far Italy has been doing around 70K/day last days, I don't know numbers for other countries

• @cabrito That compares very favourably to the Netherlands …

• BINNED

@cabrito said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

So far Italy has been doing around 70K/day last days, I don't know numbers for other countries

Over here the local authorities are complaining "OMG, the idiots didn't order enough doses of vaccine, we're going to run out immediately" (health minister has been explaining since December that at the beginning the available number will be low due to supply/demand), while at the same time apparently only 20% of the supplied doses have actually been used in vaccinations.
    Hey, if you're complaining that you need more, fast (and I guess there is enough grounds for complaints there), could you maybe get your own shit together and actually vaccinate people, fast?!

Total vaccinations per 1,000 people per state:

ccf4e486-a681-46d3-8935-e2e95c5abcbe-grafik.png

Vaccinations per day (pop. 80 mio):

bc2e8d4c-d84b-43c0-9bb3-803221512a1a-grafik.png

371a4dd6-f0d0-4532-8b20-0c79b920cec6-image.png