Recommendations for file sync software?

• 🚽 Regular

I have a laptop that is used both off and on our domain, it has a local folder that we'd like to keep in sync with a network share when that share is available to the laptop.

It must not involve cloud anything, the files are confidential.

It needs to be completely hands-off for the user, it should just notice when it's able to sync and then do that silently.

Budget is up to 100USD or so for a license.

There seems to be an infinite amount of software that claims to do this, so I was wondering if anyone had used a product in this kind of situation and had a good experience?

Edit: Windows Folder Redirection causes the programs that write to this folder to fail in exciting ways, so we have tried and can't use that.

• BINNED

I've used SyncBack to copy files to USB disks/Network folders when available. I'm not sure if you can make it sync only if the drive is present. In my case I just scheduled a sync and had it silently fail if the drive wasn't present.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Cursorkeys said in Recommendations for file sync software?:

It must not involve cloud anything, the files are confidential

I use this to sync local files that I edit, with files on a webserver, when my current editor-of-choice has... 'problems.'.. accessing over sshfs or any other methods that have the files not held locally.

Will require a cron-type job to run it (or a script that calls it) on a regular basis - and you don't really want to run it if the share isn't there.

In my use-case, when I start doing work on that server, I simply start up a long-running bash script, that I wrote, which checks the local file system every second for files modified since the last update and runs it if necessary. And runs it regardless for any changes that need to come back (if I've edited locally on the webserver for instance) every 15 seconds.

You'd probably want to simply run it once every, say, 15 minutes, or when connected to the share if you can figure out how to execute based upon such an event.

Requires an instance of unison on all machines concerned (for anyone else looking at this,) but with network shares I presume there's technically only 'one machine' involved for this, and you can get away with Local Usage.

• I use Microsoft SyncToy to keep my main USB flash drive synced with the secondary SSD in my laptop, to keep it backed up and such. I created a batch file that calls it, so I just double-click the batch file and everything is synced within a few seconds.

• I've been using Resilio Sync for syncing files between my desktop, laptop, and phone. It uses a variation of the BitTorrent protocol to do peer-to-peer file syncing over the internet. You can set it to only use local connections, too.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

BeyondCompare has a whole CLI interface for doing stuff like this. Plus you get a really good compare tool, to boot.

• 🚽 Regular

@Lorne-Kates said in Recommendations for file sync software?:

BeyondCompare has a whole CLI interface for doing stuff like this. Plus you get a really good compare tool, to boot.

I use BeyondCompare and I had no idea it had a CLI, thanks!

Turning it into an automatic folder sync thing is probably more scripting than I want to do though.

• BINNED

@Cursorkeys said in Recommendations for file sync software?:

Turning it into an automatic folder sync thing is probably more scripting that I want to do though.

I can't Off By One when you have already Offed By One

• area_pol

@Cursorkeys
    I use Seafile which is a self-hosted dropbox - you run a server and clients can sync with it. Easy deployment with a docker image. I use it for over a year and I am very satisfied.

Syncthing if you prefer a peer-to-peer setup instead of a central server.