Why Windows 10 Sucks

• @deadfast So:

1. The driver manufacturer put their drivers in Windows Update
    2. Then they stopped, or don't do it as quickly as on their site
    3. Didn't get their old versions out of Windows Update so they wouldn't screw people over

Sounds like a company I want products from.

• @blakeyrat said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

svchost.exe (the whole philosophy of preserving RAM this way became outdated years ago).

Fails to say why it's bad.

svchost is an annoyance when a misbehaving service use 100% of your CPU, and you try to find out which service and it's a "svchost.exe". It would be nicer to see each service in it's own line on the task manager.

• @sockpuppet7 said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

svchost is an annoyance when a misbehaving service use 100% of your CPU, and you try to find out which service and it's a "svchost.exe". It would be nicer to see each service in it's own line on the task manager.

Right; I agree with you. But the author didn't type anything like that. They just typed "this thing exists." That's not an argument against Windows, it's just a simple observation of fact.

• Considered Harmful

@blakeyrat said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

innocuous malevolence in me requires me to mention that Windows can reboot graphics drivers on the fly

This. You can update the file but not the running program in Linux, and it won't get truly updated until the computer reboots. Meanwhile, I can update the Nvidia driver while I'm running Subnautica, with nothing more than a couple of half-second black screens by way of interruption.

• @pie_flavor Which isn't that impressive, considering BeOS could do the same trick in 1993. But still. Way more useful to end-users than being able to update without rebooting, even if that worked in Linux, which it does not.

• @blakeyrat said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

@sockpuppet7 said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

Right; I agree with you. But the author didn't type anything like that. They just typed "this thing exists." That's not an argument against Windows, it's just a simple observation of fact.

I see them all...0_1524692341586_svchost.png

• @pie_flavor said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

You can update the file but not the running program in Linux, and it won't get truly updated until the computer reboots.

Not this shit again :rolleyes:

• @pie_flavor Even I'm fairly certain you can technically restart only the graphics related things and have things work even in Linux. But I highly doubt it's built in or automatic in most distributions. I imagine most just go for the easy solution and tell you to reboot.

• :belt_onion:

This turned into less "insert Windows anecdote here!" than I expected, though there's still plenty of that, of course.

I agree with almost all points of the breakdowns that have already been posted, but will say I've apparently seen "sfc /scannow" posted as a first (and sometimes only) response by Microsoft "MVPs" a lot more than anyone else here yet. Totally get where the author was coming from on that, though it's less to do with the OS and more "problem solving by script".

Edit: Also, having used NuGet to get PowerShell modules recently (which turns out to be just point it at a repository which seems to be in Atom format, it downloads the "package" you want, along with dependencies), I suspect that may in the future replace things like Chocolatey. It felt very much like a Linux package manager.

• Considered Harmful

@heterodox said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

This turned into less "insert Windows anecdote here!" than I expected, though there's still plenty of that, of course.

This one time I had this windows box and when I dropped it down the stairs the colors went all funny and wouldn't go back. Hooray For Lunix

• @heterodox said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

I've apparently seen "sfc /scannow" posted as a first (and sometimes only) response by Microsoft "MVPs" a lot more than anyone else here yet. Totally get where the author was coming from on that, though it's less to do with the OS and more "problem solving by script".

Yep, I've had that recommended for me a few times and it has never done anything useful for me. As you say, it's typical support rote answer rubbish.

• @magus said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

@deadfast So:

3. Didn't get their old versions out of Windows Update so they wouldn't screw people over

I presume updating the driver is not as simple as just uploading a file. I would think Microsoft have to sign off on it first which may introduce a delay. Besides, shouldn't it be smart enough to compare the driver version and only install the Windows Update one if its version number is higher than the one I have right now?

• @pie_flavor said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

it won't get truly updated until the computer reboots

At least you get to decide when it reboots 🚎

• 🚽 Regular

@mott555 said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

@gąska said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

Windows does not allow you to use any partitions other than the first one on your removable USB flash drive. There's no logic or explanation behind this totally ridiculous and artificial limitation.

I admit, that's retarded.

It's not only retarded, it's also false. I have two partitions on my flash drive. Most of its space is in an exFAT partition, but I also have a small old-school FAT32 partition for the rare occasion that I need to transfer something to a Mac. Works fine on Windows and it shows up as two drives on separate drive letters.

Same here. External hard drive with NTFS and exFAT partitions works fine on Windows 7.

• 🚽 Regular

It means windows is enjoying it when it trashes your HDD.

Just in case that wasn't a simple typo: thrashing is not the same as trashing.

It has a particular meaning in computing:

• Banned

I've apparently seen "sfc /scannow" posted as a first (and sometimes only) response by Microsoft "MVPs" a lot more than anyone else here yet.

Probably because they're stock responses that are copy-pasted word for word. I've learned long time ago to ignore every answer on MSDN forums that starts with "thank you".

• Banned

@pie_flavor said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

This one time I had this windows box and when I dropped it down the stairs the colors went all funny and wouldn't go back. Hooray For Lunix

Reminds me of that one time my brother took my desktop to LAN party, and when they were done and packing up, he picked up the computer without unplugging the (CRT) monitor first, and it fell on the floor hard. Technically it still worked, but the image got skewed in a way that part of the image was off-screen and the rest was squeezed vertically.

• Banned

@deadfast said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

Besides, shouldn't it be smart enough to compare the driver version and only install the Windows Update one if its version number is higher than the one I have right now?

It does. It's just that hardware manufacturers often fuck up versioning.

• Considered Harmful

@pie_flavor Which isn't that impressive, considering BeOS could do the same trick in 1993. But still. Way more useful to end-users than being able to update without rebooting, even if that worked in Linux, which it does not.

Is that why a regular fresh-from-the-shop Windows install of a PC requires about half a dozen reboots before you can do anything?

• kills Dumbledore

Reminds me of that one time my brother took my desktop to LAN party, and when they were done and packing up, he picked up the computer without unplugging the (CRT) monitor first, and it fell on the floor hard. Technically it still worked, but the image got skewed in a way that part of the image was off-screen and the rest was squeezed vertically.

Did he try degaussing?

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• Banned

@jaloopa said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

Did he try degaussing?

@jaloopa said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

Did he try degaussing?

I'm pretty sure it was mechanical damage.

• Considered Harmful

@laoc said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

@pie_flavor Which isn't that impressive, considering BeOS could do the same trick in 1993. But still. Way more useful to end-users than being able to update without rebooting, even if that worked in Linux, which it does not.

Is that why a regular fresh-from-the-shop Windows install of a PC requires about half a dozen reboots before you can do anything?

Or, if you look at it a different way, it just has one long reboot. It's not like you're the one pushing the restart button.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

It would be nicer to see each service in it's own line on the task manager.

Difficult to do though; the standard unit of accounting is the process (it's one of the main functions of a process) so there's simply not the detail you're asking for (unless there's only one service running inside that svchost instance).

But you can usually hazard a good guess. This is definitely an area where “the usual suspects” applies.

• @deadfast said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

@magus said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

@deadfast So:

I presume updating the driver is not as simple as just uploading a file. I would think Microsoft have to sign off on it first which may introduce a delay. Besides, shouldn't it be smart enough to compare the driver version and only install the Windows Update one if its version number is higher than the one I have right now?

Microsoft has to sign off on the drivers anyway. WHQL, signed drivers and all that jazz.

• @gąska said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

I'm pretty sure it was mechanical damage.

Does indeed sound like the magnetic coils were pushed out of alignment.

• ♿ (Parody)

@deadfast So:

Agreed, Windows Update has been sufficient to keep me from wanting MS stuff for many years now.

• @zecc said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

thrashing has a particular meaning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcLXOTwZ5tA

@hungrier He has a couple cases where he (rightly) points out something that's wrong, then give a REALLY WEIRD REASON why it's wrong.

That's almost always the case whenever anyone writes a lengthy "Why [something] Sucks" piece. They almost always end up reading like a Spectate Swamp thread.

@deadfast said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

Besides, shouldn't it be smart enough to compare the driver version and only install the Windows Update one if its version number is higher than the one I have right now?

It does. It's just that hardware manufacturers often fuck up versioning.

It's actually more complicated than just the version number as I remember... Can't be bothered to look it up now, but I remember there's several steps Windows takes in determining which is the "better" driver.

• Windows loves thrashing your HDD.

There does seem to be a lot of hard drive activity even when you're not doing anything and you would think the computer should be idle. I never noticed it until I built my current computer which it turns out has this insanely bright red LED for the HD activity light.

Quite annoying when you're trying to sleep. I had to put a piece of black tape over it. Windows 10 seems to be quite a bit worse than Windows 7 in this regard.

• Banned

@dcon there are, but all problems come down to driver provider not filling metadata correctly.

• @el_heffe said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

There does seem to be a lot of hard drive activity even when you're not doing anything and you would think the computer should be idle. I never noticed it until I built my current computer which it turns out has this insanely bright red LED for the HD activity light.

Quite annoying when you're trying to sleep. I had to put a piece of black tape over it. Windows 10 seems to be quite a bit worse than Windows 7 in this regard.

Did you turn off the let-me-share-updates-with-the-rest-of-the-world option?

• Banned

@el_heffe said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

I never noticed it until I built my current computer which it turns out has this insanely bright red LED for the HD activity light.

This sounds easily solvable even without electrical tape.

• @dcon said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

No need to turn that off unless you explicitly turned it on.

• @rhywden said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

@dcon said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

I'm pretty sure that's on by default. (I've always had to turn it off on new machines)

@rhywden said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

I'm pretty sure that's on by default. (I've always had to turn it off on new machines)

It's on for "Share with machines on my LAN".

I never noticed it until I built my current computer which it turns out has this insanely bright red LED for the HD activity light.

Before I switched to a laptop, I usually left case LEDs unplugged. The inventor of the blue LED can go die of blindness in a pile of every blue LED ever manufactured plugged in at the same time!

• @rhywden said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

Maybe different defaults in different locales? That's what I always back my new machine down to.

• @mott555 said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

Before I switched to a laptop, I usually left case LEDs unplugged. The inventor of the blue LED can go die of blindness in a pile of every blue LED ever manufactured plugged in at the same time!

Yeah, my office looks like a christmas tree when I turn the lights off.
    (Speaking of which: PSA: Christmas is over - take your damn lights down - or at least turn them off!! Yes, there are people in my neighborhood who still have the xmas lights on.)

Maybe different defaults in different locales? That's what I always back my new machine down to.

I'm currently re-imaging a machine fresh from the official Win10 image and the setting was set to "Off". Weird.

It's actually more complicated than just the version number as I remember... Can't be bothered to look it up now, but I remember there's several steps Windows takes in determining which is the "better" driver.

Because MS likes to make brain-dead solution

When the system looks for a driver to use for a particular piece of hardware, it ranks them according to various criteria. If a driver provides a perfect match to the hardware ID, then it becomes a top candidate. And if more than one driver provides a perfect match, then the one with the most recent timestamp is chosen. If there is still a tie, then the one with the highest file version number is chosen

The file timestamp is more important than the version number :wtf:

• Banned

@timebandit how do you compare version of drivers from two unrelated vendors?

Why would you want to use the driver from two unrelated vendors for the same device ⁉

• @boomzilla said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

@deadfast So:

Agreed, Windows Update has been sufficient to keep me from wanting MS stuff for many years now.

That doesn't follow. The driver manufacturer didn't have to put the driver in Windows Update in the first place. If they do, it's their responsibility to deal with it.

• ♿ (Parody)

@boomzilla said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

@deadfast So:

That doesn't follow. The driver manufacturer didn't have to put the driver in Windows Update in the first place. If they do, it's their responsibility to deal with it.

It's quite simple: Windows Update ➡ 👿 ➡ 📵

• @boomzilla I suppose if we're all you, we're all timebandit

• ♿ (Parody)

@magus Um...sure, whatever.

0_1489184404794_Homer Backs Away.gif

• Banned

@timebandit said in Why Windows 10 Sucks:

Why would you want to use the driver from two unrelated vendors for the same device ⁉

Vendor 1: hardware manufacturer.
    Vendor 2: Microsoft with its generic driver.

Vendor 1: hardware manufacturer.
    Vendor 2: Microsoft with its generic driver.

Why would you want to use a generic driver if you have a driver from the manufacturer ❓