Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.

• @remi said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

What's with the weird scale, though? I mean, I can do the math and 1/23 is indeed very close to 1.5 x 1/35, but where are those numbers coming from?

I suspect the builder took a 1/35th scale plastic kit and scaled it up by 50%, but didn’t want to write it as “1/22.5” or “2/45”.

Any scale factor is as good as another (you might just decide to make something that fits into whatever stock of building materials you have and get the scale number from there)

Fun fact: That’s why 1/35th scale is the most popular one today for military vehicle kits. Tamiya wanted to release a motorised plastic kit of a Panther tank, and found that the hull needed to be 1/35th scale to accommodate two “D” cell batteries. The rest is history.

Standard scale for vehicles is 1/25. You can rarely encounter 1/18.

In plastic, 1/25 is popular for cars (1/24 in North America, IIRC). For military vehicles 1/35 and 1/72 are the most popular by a long shot, with 1/48 having become popular over the last 15 years or so as well, and 1/76 enjoying long popularity in England because it’s the same scale as OO-gauge model railways.

For aircraft it's 1/33 or 1/32.

1/32, 1/48 and 1/72 are mostly used for plastic aircraft, with 1/144 or 1/288 also used for very large ones, like airliners, big bombers, etc.

For ships it's 1/200 (sometimes 1/100 for small things, 1/400 is rarely encountered).

In plastic, it’s usually 1/350, 1/700, 1/720, and much smaller than that for wargaming as well.

Plus all kinds of others for all of the above, though usually with only a limited number of models released by one or a few manufacturers. Old kits, from before the 1960s or so, tended to be scaled to fit standard boxes, so you would get all kinds of odd numbers and kits of similar subjects by the same manufacturer not even being to the same scale.

• 0_1521851211261_1035460_600.jpg

• @blakeyrat said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@gurth Took me awhile, but I'm 85% sure it's an Allegheny.

You're 100% correct. Number 1632 was built in 1944 by the Lima Locomotive Works for the Chesapeake and Ohio. A picture of the original, for comparison:

• Notification Spam Recipient

Hah, I'm back. As you can imagine, I got overwhelmed by tediousness of working on tracks. Everything slowed down to a crawl, but it didn't stop completely - I kept working on it when I could bring myself to it. And so, step by step, I'm close to finishing this part of Panzer II.

Where were we last time... runding the edges of track links. That's done, nothing to write about. Next is gluing on the teeth. This is tricky - links are small, very light, and the move around very easily. Teeth are about 1.5x2mm, so even breathing on them moves them. To keep links in place and to get ready for painting, I made a frame:

0_1532278067088_Frame_1.jpg
    Links are held in place by wire (which is also the way they will be connected later)
    0_1532278144134_Frame_2.jpg

Each row has 25 links, there are 12 rows. Thats 300 links. Each link has 2 teeth... 600 teeth to glue on. And teeth look like this
    0_1532278514214_TeethInBucket.jpg

Yeah. Easy peasy. 3 months later...
    0_1532278592657_TeethOn.jpg
    0_1532278673020_Frame_3.jpg

Time to paint all this stuff. Using a brush would make me suicidal, I'm quite sure of it. Luckily years ago I bought myself an airbrush. I never used it, so I'm learning as I go... no risk no fun.
    0_1532278892696_Airbrush.jpg

I broke the thing 5 or 6 times, painted parts of my desk and inhaled a lot of acrylic paint. Let's call it fun learning experience. But it worked, all links were painted, with good effect, and probably about 3000 times faster than with a normal brush.

After cutting them off the frame:
    0_1532279176876_OffTheFrame.jpg

I removed the wire (sprayed with paint all over it's unusable for anything, went to trash), cleaned them a bit and started connecting them:

0_1532279463382_FirstConnections.jpg

Links are not identical, some are perfect, some are a bit distorted, some are overpainted. Connecting 2 good links takes 30-45 seconds. With bad ones it's up to 10 minutes 😐
    After much swearing, resisting destructive urges and proclaiming "fuck this shit" more than once...

0_1532279738787_Final_1.jpg
    0_1532279752537_Final_2.jpg

That's 100 links. One full track will be 110-115, but connecting the last ones will be done at the very end of building the model, so let's say half of it is done. Whew.
    Painting is not ideal, as you can see, but I'll leave it like that, it looks kinda cool. I just have to paint tips of the wire where they are visible.

When second half of tracks is done, it will be time to return to the hull and wheels.

This episode was sponsored by
    0_1532280272070_AtakChmielu.jpg
    Atak Chmielu (Hop Attack) by Pinta.

• @mrl I said four or five months ago, when you first posted pics of these tracks, that you had more patience than I do, and this certainly proves it. Today I began putting together the tracks of this plastic kit:

https://cdn3.volusion.com/hefpe.jgpkc/v/vspfiles/photos/BNC35015-2.jpg?1398064905

which are about the same size and type as yours, but all I need to do is cut them from a sprue and clean up three pips per link, then click each link onto the next. After about a dozen I already had had enough for the moment (though the heat in my hobby room in the attic may also have had something to do with that). So bravo for making all those paper track links :)

• Considered Harmful

@mrl said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

working on tracks. Everything slowed down to a crawl

👌

@MrL said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

When second half of tracks is done, it will be time to return to the hull and wheels.

Has the crawl completed?

@Tsaukpaetra said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Has the crawl completed?

Yes it has. I went back to hull and wheels for a moment, then I got distracted and didn't do anything with the model for a month. I'll get back to it soon.

• Considered Harmful

@magus said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@mrl Shoes are interesting?

Shoes?

No, shoes are not interesting.

It's been some time, eh? I had some serious health problems, which prevented me from working on the model. That's behind me, I hope, so let's get back to it.

Not much to show today, but it's a start.

First, new springs, which I showed earlier, ready for painting:
    IMG_20180910_0053535.jpg

And painted:
    IMG_20180910_0129266.jpg

Suspension forks, in different stages of development:
    WP_20180812_21_41_18_Rich.jpg

Driving wheels, flat. Propulsion wheels, not so flat:
    IMG_20181202_2052414.jpg

And all of the above coming together:
    IMG_20181202_2053018.jpg
    IMG_20181205_0010056.jpg
    IMG_20181205_0009593.jpg

Eh, quality of those pictures is terrible.

Anyway, wheels are done, suspension forks almost done. Now I'm working on the turret and some stuff that's on the hull. Finish line is looming on the horizon :rolleyes:

• Fake News

@MrL I came across this thread again by chance.

So... Did it work out in the end?

• Spent almost 2 entire days (16 hours if you include waiting for paint to dry) on my first attempt at using proper painting technique.

e7ac3ed2-e389-4680-9a31-83d81613c477-image.png

It's a bash of these two kits.

5c9fb9b0-0389-46d8-bfc1-156f5e1c8130-image.png

15560eb6-23d0-4540-ae29-6b7c8a30a596-image.png

Painted over the green with French Blue. Top Coated with Pearl Clear.

@JBert said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@MrL I came across this thread again by chance.

So... Did it work out in the end?

Believe it or not, the model is still not finished.
    It's a severe case of :kneeling_warthog: of course, but also having too many hobbies.

I started second model in the meantime and botched another. Also bought about 10 models I won't ever even start.

I think I'll post here when PzII is completed, if world still exists by then.

• 2nd project done.

IMG_20210602_103333.jpg

• I spent more on the paint than the model, BTW.

• @MrL said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

I started second model in the meantime and botched another. Also bought about 10 models I won't ever even start.

Typical modeller beyond the initial stage of the hobby, then. At least you have the advantage that ten unbuilt models take up, what, 5 to 10 cm of shelf space? Mine take up that per unbuilt kit. Which have been overflowing the shelves I have for years.

@Gurth said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Typical modeller beyond the initial stage of the hobby, then.

Shut up!

Bought next 3 yesterday

• Java Dev

Typical modeller beyond the initial stage of the hobby, then. At least you have the advantage that ten unbuilt models take up, what, 5 to 10 cm of shelf space? Mine take up that per unbuilt kit. Which have been overflowing the shelves I have for years.

Pointedly does NOT look at his LEGO Technic collection

At least you have the advantage that ten unbuilt models take up, what, 5 to 10 cm of shelf space?

Yeah, models take little space. Board games on the other hand...

• @MrL RPGs plus a few board and card games in my case … only something like ten metres linear shelf space …

Panzer II is still not finished, but lately I was able to fend :kneeling_warthog: off a bit:

IMG_20220119_1015231.jpg IMG_20220119_1015352.jpg IMG_20220119_1015536.jpg IMG_20220119_1016154.jpg IMG_20220119_1016290.jpg IMG_20220119_1016557.jpg

Entwicklung 50 Standardpanzer, or just E-50.

Paintjob is botched, but other than that I'm satisfied with the result.
    It's plastic of course, so very easy to build.

Uuuu, lookie lookie...

4TP_001.jpg

I can throw in rest of the photos I guess.

Skeleton:
    4TP_002.jpg

Mounting the skin:
    4TP_003.jpg

And this is the source and desired result of this build:
    4TP_004.jpg

4TP - Polish prototype reconnaissance light tank.
    It was very modern for its time and had good results during tests, but mass production didn't start until the start of the war. Obviously this relegated it to curiosity/what-if category of WWII vehicles, which is not popular among publishers - this is the only published model of it that I am aware of.

It's a very simple model, for beginners. With possible exception of wheels - the simpler road ones consist of 18 parts each, which is a bit crazy on this level of complexity.

• Is it really Polish? I don't see any diacritic in the camouflage. 🐠

@Zerosquare said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Is it really Polish? I don't see any diacritic in the camouflage. 🐠

Not only this, its full name also has none!

4TP - 4 Tonowy Polski (Polish 4-tonner)

4TP build is merrily chugging along.

I had to putty the turret, because I fucked up its skeleton:

IMG_20220222_1732398.jpg

That's not very interesting. Oh well. We'll see if it looks decent when put together.

This model has a lot of small holes to be cut out. Like those:

IMG_20220222_1844500.jpg

There are different techniques for cutting those out. This time I went with simply drilling:

IMG_20220222_1840225.jpg

This saved me hours of work and possible carpal tunnel episode.

So where are we now? Well, all parts for road wheels are cut out:

IMG_20220302_1922263.jpg

Which is like half of the model. My precision is still shit, but getting better.

A small thing to finish this episode:

IMG_20220224_1859319.jpg

Parts 36k have a diameter of 1mm.
    Some time later:

IMG_20220224_2002513~2.jpg

Like I said, precision is getting better.

Oh yeah, I finally cleaned up my workspace, so it doesn't look like a brothel after fire. For anyone interested:

IMG_20220302_1905502.jpg

Yes, I'm bragging about tidying up, shut up.

• @MrL boy, you have a nice eyesight!

@cabrito said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@MrL boy, you have a nice eyesight!

Not like I used to :( Once I could cut it out with no support, now I have to use a magnifying glass (that small black thing in the middle of the table).