Random thought of the day

• Banned

@GOG kręcenie Małysza. Taki wykopowy slang gdy jest afera.

Edit: in English, the above would take at least two pages.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Gąska I live a sheltered life...

(Also, TIL)

• @Gąska said in Random thought of the day:

Too bad for you. Now that you've mentioned it, you must explain it. That's the rules, and no amount of :kneeling_warthog: can save you (although you may get out if you manage to :pendant:ically :moving_goal_post: enough). 🎆

• Banned

@remi sorry, not doing that. It's a cross between a linguistic pun, visual pun, celebrity lookalike, cultural significance for inexplicable reason, and random internet bullshit. I'd rather play Gothic.

• No police, no police brutality. Brillant!

• @Gąska said in Random thought of the day:

Google Translate was not very helpful.

"filming Małysz. Such excavation slang when there is an affair."

😕

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@HardwareGeek said in Random thought of the day:

@Gąska said in Random thought of the day:

Google Translate was not very helpful.

"filming Małysz. Such excavation slang when there is an affair."

😕

Sheltered life notwithstanding, I can clarify at least some things. "Wykop" (excavation) is the Polish version of Digg and that's where the slang term originated. "Afera" (affair) should be understood broadly as meaning a major event of public interest (e.g. a political scandal). Małysz refers to Adam Małysz.

This leaves "kręcenie", which literally means "turning". It is often used idiomatically to describe actions where some manner of turning/cranking is involved, so GT gives "filming" (a common idiomatic usage) because it used to involve turning the film roll.

Unfortunately, what it means in this case specifically - and why - is far from clear, because it's often used when describing something shady. "Filming" could be the correct meaning, but it could be something along the lines of "pulling a Małysz" (more in terms of the type of phrasing, than the actual meaning of the English phrase).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Gąska said in Random thought of the day:

random internet bullshit

To be honest, for English-speaking audiences all it really needed was a basic caption across the bottom “meanwhile, in Poland”.

• BINNED

@dkf
    It mainly looks like the Mario dude is the bitch of whatever demonstration is going on

• BINNED

8F88E789-A530-4F1B-ADE1-63ADBC156612.jpeg

So the internet tells me that three-colored cats are (almost) always female as the color is coded on the X chromosome.
    But is the same true for dogs? Is the one on the right also a girl?

Making these at best sisters from another mother (weird pedantry on a joke with obviously far bigger holes in it, I know).

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@topspin said in Random thought of the day:

(weird pedantry on a joke with obviously far bigger holes in it, I know).

If you aren't gonna be doing pointless :pendant: why are you here?

• @topspin said in Random thought of the day:

But is the same true for dogs?

No. That looks like an Aussie. That's a normal Blue Merle (with copper markings) coloration.

• @topspin said in Random thought of the day:

8F88E789-A530-4F1B-ADE1-63ADBC156612.jpeg

So the internet tells me that three-colored cats are (almost) always female as the color is coded on the X chromosome.
    But is the same true for dogs? Is the one on the right also a girl?

Making these at best sisters from another mother (weird pedantry on a joke with obviously far bigger holes in it, I know).

The corresponding female expression is "sister from another mister". I heard Guy Fieri use it.

Something I've long wanted to do is get a tri-color calico cat and pose it looking into a koi pond at a similarly-marked fish.

• Notification Spam Recipient

obviously far bigger holes

🦉 :sideways_owl:

Nah....

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra said in Random thought of the day:

Nah....

Your mind is beyond saving.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Tsaukpaetra said in Random thought of the day:

Nah....

Your mind is beyond saving.

No it's not!

*surreptitiously checks backups*

*Discovers backups have been failing for the last 17 years due to an incremental incompatible protocol change*

*Does not panic*

• If I can't see someone's face, I can't bring myself to trust him.

On the other hand, if someone doesn't have sense enough to wear a mask these days, I don't have any faith in what he has to say.

COVID-19. The great equalizer.

• @da-Doctah said in Random thought of the day:

If I can't see someone's face, I can't bring myself to trust him.

On the other hand, if someone doesn't have sense enough to wear a mask these days, I don't have any faith in what he has to say.

• As usual, The Babylon Bee has the solution. "Police Calm Millennial Protestors by Handing out Participation Trophies."

19e19a42-3f1c-42ac-9ef0-5778f55e10e3-image.png

• More videos have been coming out of mortal police sadism. To do things like this in the age of video cameras be everywhere is not only sadistic, but stupid.

• @jinpa When you have qualified immunity, why should you care?

• @TimeBandit said in Random thought of the day:

@jinpa When you have qualified immunity, why should you care?

"unless their actions violate 'clearly established' federal law"

• @jinpa said in Random thought of the day:

"unless their actions violate 'clearly established' federal law"

From https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/qualified-immunity-suggests-police-are-above-the-law-1.1447983

Essentially, qualified immunity says that you can only win a suit under Section 1983 if you can prove that the official’s conduct violated clearly established federal law. To prove that, you generally need a judicial precedent describing their specific conduct as unlawful. As the Supreme Court itself has said, the doctrine protects “all but the plainly incompetent or those who knowingly violate the law.”

And so a Section 1983 lawsuit against Derek Chauvin, the officer who is charged with murdering George Floyd, would have to show that clearly established federal law prohibited the placing of an officer’s knee on an arrestee’s neck.

• Horrible, probably racist random question of the day:

Would you classify the place names in Belgium as more romance (ie French)-like or more germanic (ie dutch)-like? You have to pick one. For the whole country.

It's for a project I'm working on, to build a random (Markov) place-name generator using real-world place names as the seeds, except with the origin country (the most specific data I can easily parse) broken into (very general and not exactly scientific) groupings based on the "feel" of the language. Which means that I need to categorize each of the ISO country codes into one of my groups.

• That's like trying to decide if Linux users shall be classified as vim users or emacs users.

• BINNED

@Benjamin-Hall said in Random thought of the day:

For the whole country.

Don't. Place names are language depending. Most major cities have a French and Dutch name, like Antwerpen = Anvers or Liège = Luik, just like some even have an English version. What version you use depends on the language you use and context. But just pronouncing Dutch names in French and vise versa makes you sound like an idiot or a douche.
    To make it even more complex, place names of even predominantly French locations can have a Dutch/Germanic origin.

• @Benjamin-Hall To add to what's been said (and that I agree with), two comments that might help you decide (because obviously people who know about this telling you that it's a bad idea doesn't mean you're going to abandon your idea 😉 ):

Despite having French/Dutch names, I would say that most Belgian cities don't really sound (even in French) like French ones -- at least to a French, if I hear a city name I've never heard before I can tell whether it's more likely to be a French or Belgian one (or rather a France-without-the-northeastern-part one, or a Belgian-or-northeastern-France one). So there is something different in your average place name between, say, B*****m and everything south of Paris. Which I would surmise is a Dutch/Germanic origin, even if the name has been Frenchified later. So on that basis, I guess you could go for more Germanic, although ideally that could be with some added layer of making them French-sounding...

(obviously you'll find counter-examples for all that, but very generally speaking I think it still holds)

OTOH, if you want the names that you generate to have a feel of the region they're from, you probably want to make sure that Belgian names sounds different from Dutch ones, because those two countries are very much different. And (I know Belgians are going to love this...) B*****m is overall, I think, seen as closer (culturally etc.) to France than to the Netherlands, so it's probably better to go for French-sounding names than Dutch-sounding ones (it will make the distinction with Netherlands clear, and will blur things with France but that will probably be less remarked upon then the opposite).

Since you're using real-world place names as seeds, a third remark might be which language you're using as your seeds? Anvers or Antwerpen? It might make sense to use the language of that seed, as tacking a French suffix to a Dutch name, and reciprocally, will not make any sense.

• BINNED

@remi
    I understand where you are coming from, and names in Nord-Pas-de-Calais can be funnily Dutch but this is not present in south part of Belgium. Only exception is Brussels but that is essentially a Dutch town with Dutch namings that got Frenchified.
    to return the insult: for real French sounding location names you should include enough double names. The amount of towns that is defined by having a second part (eg Name-sur-river or Name-other geographic reference) is staggering and something that is exceptional north of the border.

• BINNED

To give a different opinion than the "you're doing it wrong! You have to put in a lot more work and make this much more complex because neither simple answer is correct!" one:
    Pick Dutch.

(Disclaimers about bias and being incorrect should be obvious)

• @Luhmann said in Random thought of the day:

@remi
    I understand where you are coming from, and names in Nord-Pas-de-Calais can be funnily Dutch but this is not present in south part of Belgium. Only exception is Brussels but that is essentially a Dutch town with Dutch namings that got Frenchified.

It's not just Dutch names being Frenchified (like Anvers or Louvain, or Roubaix or Dunkerque on the French side), there is still something to most Belgian names that sounds... Belgian, for lack of a better explanation. Liège, Namur, Charleroi, Arlon... they sound definitely as from the north-east of France or B*****m. Of course there are exceptions, Rochefort or Dinant sound very much like their western-France counterparts, and some other could be from anywhere in France.

So OK, maybe Belgian names are not Dutch-Frenchified, but there is still an identity to, widely speaking, everything north-east of Paris that is different from the rest (if you get into more regional details I can probably distinguish typical Walloon, Lorrain etc. ones but that's too fine-grained, and with too many variations, to be usable as a wide rule).

to return the insult: for real French sounding location names you should include enough double names. The amount of towns that is defined by having a second part (eg Name-sur-river or Name-other geographic reference) is staggering and something that is exceptional north of the border.

Yup, that's a good point. Saint Something is also very common in France, and from what I know (and from a quick Google Maps look) it's... not inexistant, far from it, but somewhat less common in B*****m? But this might just be a bias of the largest/most-well-known places, and what would really make the difference is the name of the saints (Nicolas is mostly a northern saint, whereas Guilhem or Sauveur are very much from the south!). From Google Maps I can also see many "Name-le-Stuff" (or "la-Stuff"), which isn't very common in France (I'm guessing those are actually of Germanic -- or maybe even Norman? -- root, it's also a common name pattern in England).

• Banned

@da-Doctah said in Random thought of the day:

If I can't see someone's face, I can't bring myself to trust him.

COVID-19. The great equalizer.

The winner: people who wear masks over chin so it's just as effective but you can see their face! 🏆

• BINNED

@remi said in Random thought of the day:

everything north-east of Paris that is different from the rest

no problem, I can totally understand but then it will be somewhere between Paris and Brussels and going up from there the location names are different again. Note that there might also be a demarcation inside the Netherlands. Although, just like in France, the countrie was much more unified already in the 18th century, the time period many places got their fixed names.

difference is the name of the saints

sint-huppelepup exists in Dutch as well but might be a tad less common (Sint-Katelijne-Waver, look this one even has both a prefix and a suffix!) but while there are several communities exactly named alike we just use 'Beveren' and then have to scramble to demystify if you mean Beveren-Waas (a small city) or Beveren-Roeselare/Beveren-Leie (a part of the city of Roeselare at the Leie river). There is no real fixed suffix. It's just like a highway exit they almost randomly slapped North and South on because the first is slightly more North then the other one.
    We do have a lot of 'kerke' and forms of 'sele/zele/els/el'. There first obviously reference a church and the second referencing a large room/house (zaal in modern Dutch). Brussels is emotylogically determined as the 'large room in the marshes'. No wonder it's a shitty place.

f37119eb-ba9f-48f8-a2c6-72998493c7a8-image.png

we just use 'Beveren' and then have to scramble to demystify if you mean Beveren-Waas (a small city) or Beveren-Roeselare/Beveren-Leie (a part of the city of Roeselare at the Leie river). There is no real fixed suffix. It's just like a highway exit they almost randomly slapped North and South on because the first is slightly more North then the other one.

Yeah, modern administrative reorganisation can create weird names like that (not saying all of them are modern, but many are). For example in France there is a trend to try and merge small rural communes, and when you're merging several hamlets of roughly the same size it's hard to find a new common name that satisfies everyone so you end up with names that are just tacking all hamlets names together. Or sometimes there is a larger one that naturally take precedence, but they still wanted to mention that small hamlets have been merged with it so they still add something to it -- one that I randomly found is "Méréville" (a small country town south of Paris) that merged with a hamlet next to it, the commune was named "Le Mérévillois" (i.e. "the region of Méréville", roughly), so when entering that town there is a sign "Méréville - Commune du Mérévillois", which is weird.

• BINNED

@remi said in Random thought of the day:

in France there is a trend to try and merge small rural communes,

probably because you have communes that just have a mairie, a salle de fête, a dechetterie and some form of sports terrein (either basket, tennis, soccer, ...) and more livestock than inhabitants. That's it ... we don't have those anymore since the massive force merger in the 70ties, since then all communes where upsized so that at least they had a proper administration and own police force. Later on we merged police to zones for smaller communities again (post-Dutroux police reform). And last year some of the smaller communities where merged again. But yes this creates a few crazy names.

• @remi my categories are really broad, because these are for a fantasy world. To the point that I'm mixing all the romance languages together and all the Germanic languages together. Just like I'm blending languages such as Chinese (all topolects), Korean, and Japanese together into "east Asian".

So I don't really care about sounding authentic, but more about phonology. The patterns of letters and sounds in romance languages are much different than those in Germanic ones. If there's some blending due to Belgium being weird, that's fine. Fantasy, remember? They'll also get cleaned up manually on use (random generation tends to leave things hard to pronounce).

Plus, I don't really have any more specific data than national level. Well technically I have the lat/long coordinates, but :kneeling_warthog: ^2 for doing some kind of lookup.

• Java Dev

@Luhmann said in Random thought of the day:

For the whole country.

Don't. Place names are language depending. Most major cities have a French and Dutch name, like Antwerpen = Anvers or Liège = Luik, just like some even have an English version. What version you use depends on the language you use and context. But just pronouncing Dutch names in French and vise versa makes you sound like an idiot or a douche.
    To make it even more complex, place names of even predominantly French locations can have a Dutch/Germanic origin.

Or Lille = Rijsel, where your map will show the former name only but signposts all over Flanders will insist on using the latter. Only really relevant if you're travelling from The Netherlands to France via Paris.

• Java Dev

Note that there might also be a demarcation inside the Netherlands.

North/south of the Rhine pronunciation is different. Mainly notable in the g. Not sure on place names.

probably because you have communes that just have a mairie, a salle de fête, a dechetterie and some form of sports terrein (either basket, tennis, soccer, ...)

It seems common when you drive through a small village to see a building marked as both mairie and ecole.

Merging municipalities is probably universal. The Netherlands does it too.

Plus, I don't really have any more specific data than national level. Well technically I have the lat/long coordinates, but ^2 for doing some kind of lookup.

Not knowing your usecase; can you get at a language code? Those are separate for bilingual countries, and even using the language half only would probably be a better approximation than using the country half only.

• BINNED

@PleegWat said in Random thought of the day:

but signposts all over Flanders will insist on using the latter.

On highways generally both are used, random ass pull example from streetview just before Gent.

bb6e97bc-e7c2-4cc5-9b16-12f89f771cc2-image.png

same is done with other cities but Aken/Aachen is just way more obvious then Rijsel/Lille. Or Mons/Bergen. And it's the same driving the other way, coming from Lillle it will say Ghent (Gent).

• BINNED

@PleegWat said in Random thought of the day:

It seems common when you drive through a small village to see a building marked as both mairie and ecole.

I wish. If it has a school and a market or any, really any kind of shop it's no longer small.

• BINNED

you're doing it wrong!

where is the fun in that?
    It also removes all possibilities for :pendant:

sint-huppelepup

Are there Belgian saints named after the other three houses of Hogwarts spoken through a Covid mask?

• Java Dev

@hungrier said in Random thought of the day:

sint-huppelepup

Are there Belgian saints named after the other three houses of Hogwarts spoken through a Covid mask?

huppeldepup is a Dutch pseudoword which gets slotted into a sentence where a word or phrase should go but you can't be bothered to figure out what to put there. Apparently, it's pretty widely spread through the Dutch-speaking world.

• @PleegWat Oh. Are there any other Dutch pseudo-words that sound like mumbled Harry Potter characters?

• BINNED

@hungrier
    Where do you think those names came from?

• @PleegWat said in Random thought of the day:

it's pretty widely spread through the Dutch-speaking world.

Thankfully, that's only a tiny fraction of the real world.

• BINNED

@hungrier
    Sint-Jutemis

• Banned

@boomzilla said in Classic Programmer Paintings:

Forgot the where clause
    2812ef7c-eee1-4027-a54e-46d84dfd0344-image.png

One would think that by 2020, the giant megacorporations behind the various RDBMS database management systems would figure out that an UPDATE or DELETE statement without WHERE clause is virtually never useful and disallow them.

• BINNED

@Gąska DELETE FROM table --no-preserve-root;.

• Banned

@topspin exactly (except WHERE 1=1 suffices). I actually considered mentioning how Linux in all its legendary user-unfriendliness still figured out it's worth having this little safety mechanism, but Microsoft hasn't. Anyway. Reducing accidents by 99% while leaving a short and trivial workaround for when you actually mean it is a great tradeoff, don't you think?

• @Gąska Something something, transactions, that Tom Scott video, etc