Cancelable

• @Bulb said in Cancelable:

@Gurth said in Cancelable:

Your dialog seems to be mislabel(l)ed: American English is the more traditional spelling.

No, it isn’t.

It’s probably as much the traditional spelling as the British spelling is. They diverged and kept different parts of the pre-divergence spelling but changed others.

It is the more common spelling which rather just like Chinese ("Traditional" is used in small Taiwan, "Simplified" is used on mainland).

The terms there have nothing to do with which one is more common than the other. It’s called “simplified” because that’s exactly what it is: written using signs simplified from those of what’s now called “traditional Chinese” to show it uses the older spelling.

why is there only one choice for Norwegian

... apparently because they didn't translate it to both. After all, they didn't translate it to Swahili either. Or Kannada. Or Georgian. Or ...

Those last three aren’t valid arguments, because they don’t appear in the list at all. For Norwegian, given that there are two common spellings, it’d be a good idea to indicate the spelling even if you only have one of them in your program.

Actually, it's quite likely it's shown even if it does know the current system language. If it preselects it, I would not mind.

There is no need to bother the user with this choice at all if the OS is sensible about it. App queries OS, OS says, “Current user prefers languages in this order: L, M, N, O, after that he/she doesn’t care” and so if the app doesn’t have any of those, it can fall back on its default (which will probably be English).

why are all the language names in English with country flags next to them?

most applications don't have any of those translations, nor others with similar problem, it mostly seems to work.

It works because people have gotten used to it. I know that if I were Belgian, I’d be mildly annoyed every time I had to click on a Dutch flag to select my preferred language. Too many people probably just take it in stride, though.

Dutch also obviously gets 🇳🇱

I know it says it’s flag_nl but that looks much more like flag_lu to me — though people from .lu will probably argue the blue is too dark for that.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Cancelable:

@boomzilla said in Cancelable:

@accalia said in Cancelable:

@powerlord said in Cancelable:

@JBert That's why we spell it "color" instead of "colour" too!

you might. I don't.

No one. No one asks you how to spell something.

Noone would like to have a word with you!

No One? No One is a total son of a bitch! That's the fucker who poked my brother's eye out!

Filed Under: But what about Not Sure?

• @groo said in Cancelable:

TIL about ngram viewer. Just found that the word "needful" was more popular in the late 17th century.

Really? You must've missed that xkcd...

In months other than September, the 11th is mentioned substantially less often than any other date. It's been that way since long before 9/11 and I have no idea why.

Which means you probably also missed the exposé...

spoiler: turns out, the number 11 just gets misocr'd a lot.

• Why are all the flag emojis 🇫🇮🇱🇦🇬🇬 here round? Flags aren't round!
    Other emojis aren't restricted to round shapes. 📖

• @devjoe avatars were, IIRC, until we customized the CSS.

Also,

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@devjoe said in Cancelable:

Why are all the flag emojis here round?

Maybe :doing_it_wrong: got to them and persuaded the flag makers to be fans of circularity. 😆

• @dkf said in Cancelable:

Why are all the flag emojis here round?

Maybe :doing_it_wrong: got to them and persuaded the flag makers to be fans of circularity. 😆

Yes, but @wood never grasped that you had to have an exit case that didn't depend on a Stack Overflow.

Just be glad that he never figured out TCO, or we'd never hear the end of it.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

• @Gurth said in Cancelable:

There is no need to bother the user with this choice at all if the OS is sensible about it. App queries OS, OS says, “Current user prefers languages in this order: L, M, N, O, after that he/she doesn’t care” and so if the app doesn’t have any of those, it can fall back on its default (which will probably be English).

I haven't seen a general option for alternate languages in most operating systems. At least not in a way that the localization API would actually use it. There might be some that gets used by web browser for sending Accept-Languages:, and you can also enable multiple keyboard layouts, but that's about it.

Yes, such option would definitely be reasonable. There are many people who know more than one language better than English. But I have not seen it in practice.

• kills Dumbledore

@ScholRLEA said in Cancelable:

No One? No One is a total son of a bitch! That's the fucker who poked my brother's eye out!

Don't worry, man. No one loves you. In fact, no one is thinking about you right now

I haven't seen a general option for alternate languages in most operating systems. At least not in a way that the localization API would actually use it. There might be some that gets used by web browser for sending Accept-Languages:, and you can also enable multiple keyboard layouts, but that's about it.

Like this system prefs dialog you mean?

0_1472805105842_English.png

And here’s the same window after nothing more than quitting and restarting the system prefs app:

0_1472805160434_Nederlands.png

• Banned

@Bulb said in Cancelable:

I haven't seen a general option for alternate languages in most operating systems. At least not in a way that the localization API would actually use it.

Many Linux command-line utilities choose language based on LANG environment variable. When you write command, it gets run with system locale, but when you write LANG=en_US command, you force it to use English. I actually used this in one script to get reliable output - something like LANG=en_US svn info | grep URL | sed s/.../.../

• @Gurth But do applications that do have German translations but not Dutch ones actually come up in German afterwards?

Also, this is one operating system. Windows don't have that option for applications, only for Explorer.

Like this system prefs dialog you mean?

0_1472805105842_English.png

That's still shit because it still doesn't understand the concept of someone living in one region and wanting the local conventions but in a different language. You shouldn't have to have everything in lbs and hogheads because you switch to US English.

Back when I briefly had an iPhone, if you set it to English (in Poland) you were forced to view all phone numbers using the wrong format (IIRC, something like (123) 456-7890), which horribly mangled Polish numbers.

• @coldandtired said in Cancelable:

That's still shit because it still doesn't understand the concept of someone living in one region and wanting the local conventions but in a different language. You shouldn't have to have everything in lbs and hogheads because you switch to US English.

Or like almost every web site on the planet that offers a choice of languages. They all confuse "I want this language" with "I am in this location". Guys, I want to be able to read about your offerings for customers in France because I am in France, but I want to read it in English because I read English faster than I read French.

• @Steve_The_Cynic My PlayStations are set to English, and there's no Polish language version of the PS Store, so it just changes the currency to PLN (which is exactly what I would like anyway).

However, every single time I go to the store a message pops up in Polish telling me there is no Polish version so it will have to be displayed in English.

@Gurth But do applications that do have German translations but not Dutch ones actually come up in German afterwards?

Yes, they do. You set the languages in the order you want, and any time an app starts, the OS goes through the list from top to bottom until it finds one the app has on board, or else falls back on the app’s default language. (Putting English last is a good idea for many people, though, because the default fallback is the one the app was coded in, and that could be one you don’t speak even if the app may have an English translation anyway.)

Also, this is one operating system. Windows don't have that option for applications, only for Explorer.

Sure, but this was in reply to your remark that you:

have not seen it in practice.

@coldandtired said in Cancelable:

Note that the languages are on the left and the notation stuff on the right, and you can change them independently — as demonstrated by them being set the same in the English- and Dutch-language screenshots. Also, the Advanced… button brings up this sheet:

0_1472836234812_Schermafbeelding 2016-09-02 om 19.10.12.png

to let you fine-tune your regional notation settings independently of your language choice.

@Steve_The_Cynic said in Cancelable:

Guys, I want to be able to read about your offerings for customers in France because I am in France, but I want to read it in English because I read English faster than I read French.

Heh, I tend to read sites etc. in the original language they were written in if I can, even if the site offers a translation in a language I’m more fluent in. Partly this is to help me learn the language, and partly because I’ve seen too many bad translations.

Sure, but this was in reply to your remark that you:

have not seen it in practice.

So now I have seen it at least on screenshot. I don't use that operating system.

It is a pity that most translation engines don't support it. It is, of course, reasonable thing to do.

let you fine-tune your regional notation settings independently of your language choice.

That can be done almost everywhere. It is the language selection that is usually problem.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Jaloopa said in Cancelable:

@ScholRLEA said in Cancelable:

Don't worry, man. No one loves you. In fact, no one is thinking about you right now

So much so that no one will care when you die.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Steve_The_Cynic said in Cancelable:

Or like almost every web site on the planet that offers a choice of languages. They all confuse "I want this language" with "I am in this location". Guys, I want to be able to read about your offerings for customers in France because I am in France, but I want to read it in English because I read English faster than I read French.

The software my company makes has had that issue for nearly 10 years. They used region to select the language, but that doesn't always correlate.

Until someone said "Hey, what if we let the shopper pick their region AND their language separately?"

Problem fucking solved.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

My PlayStations are set to English, and there's no Polish language version of the PS Store

Oh boy time for some OLD SKOOL racism.

"I'm shocked the Poles aren't confused by a controller with more the one button LOL POLISH JOKE!"

• I'm sorry, but I vote for "cancelable'. There's no obvious reason why the "l" should be doubled. I pulled a list of "*-lable" words from MoreWords, and there's only a relative handful (below) of words with the proper suffix -able, for which this doubling is done. So it strikes me as a bit of a wart. Especially note that even MoreWords shows both cancelable and cancellable.

(This list does not include all words matched by the search; I removed those that don't use the -able on the end as a suffix meaning "able to be". For example, I removed "monosyllable". The words where L-doubling occurs are bold.)

• appealable
    • articulable
    • assailable
    • assimilable
    • bailable
    • billable
    • bioavailable
    • boilable
    • calculable
    • callable
    • cancelable
    • cancellable
    • coagulable
    • compellable
    • concealable
    • controllable
    • drillable
    • expellable
    • fellable
    • foilable
    • furlable
    • gelable
    • gullable
    • healable
    • hypercoagulable
    • incalculable
    • inconsolable
    • incontrollable
    • inviolable
    • irreconcilable
    • irrepealable
    • isolable
    • labelable
    • mailable
    • manipulable
    • millable
    • noncallable
    • noncancelable
    • noncontrollable
    • nonrecyclable
    • nonrefillable
    • nonsalable
    • peelable
    • recallable
    • reconcilable
    • recyclable
    • reelable
    • refillable
    • repealable
    • resalable
    • resealable
    • revealable
    • rulable
    • sailable
    • salable
    • scalable
    • sealable
    • sellable
    • spallable
    • spillable
    • spoilable
    • stealable
    • tellable
    • tillable
    • unappealable
    • unassailable
    • unassimilable
    • uncontrollable
    • unfulfillable
    • unreconcilable
    • unrecyclable
    • unsalable
    • unscalable
    • unsellable
    • untillable
    • willable

• @CoyneTheDup said in Cancelable:

There's no obvious reason why the "l" should be doubled.

What, apart from cancelled, cancelling, cancellation ...

There’s no obvious reason why “cancel” is spelled with two c’s instead of a k and an s. Or, for that matter, with an a and an e instead of an e and a u (or possibly two e’s).

On the other hand, the reason for the doubled l might just be fairly obvious: in a multi-syllable word, two consecutive consonants after a vowel indicate (in several other Germanic languages anyway) that that vowel is short. Thus, spelling it cancellable could be intended to show that the pronunciation is /-ələbəl/ and not /-eːləbəl/.

@CoyneTheDup said in Cancelable:

There’s no obvious reason why “cancel” is spelled with two c’s instead of a k and an s. Or, for that matter, with an a and an e instead of an e and a u (or possibly two e’s).

On the other hand, the reason for the doubled l might just be fairly obvious: in a multi-syllable word, two consecutive consonants after a vowel indicate (in several other Germanic languages anyway) that that vowel is short. Thus, spelling it cancellable could be intended to show that the pronunciation is /-ələbəl/ and not /-eːləbəl/.

You might have a point.

Of course, on that basis it should be "gellable" and "labellable" instead of "gelable" and "labelable". It also doesn't seem to explain why it's "*controllable" instead of "*controlable".

So while you may have a point, I'm not changing my vote.

• Java Dev

in a multi-syllable word, two consecutive consonants after a vowel indicate (in several other Germanic languages anyway) that that vowel is short

Only in a stressed syllable. In a non-stressed syllable, a single vowel is always short.

• Don't forget your canceled carry permit.

Of course, on that basis it should be "gellable" and "labellable" instead of "gelable" and "labelable". It also doesn't seem to explain why it's "*controllable" instead of "*controlable".

My guess is that those differences exist because English doesn’t have an organisation that regulates spelling (as should be fairly obvious to anyone who thinks about English spelling).

BTW, in linguistics, an asterisk before a word indicates it’s spelled differently from how it should be, so it shouldn’t be there in one of your spellings of “control(l)able”.

@PleegWat said in Cancelable:

in a multi-syllable word, two consecutive consonants after a vowel indicate (in several other Germanic languages anyway) that that vowel is short

Only in a stressed syllable. In a non-stressed syllable, a single vowel is always short.

In which case the basic rule still holds :) True, though, that it doesn’t for ”cancel(l)able” since the stress there is on the first syllable.

• area_can

Why are all the flag emojis 🇫🇮🇱🇦🇬🇬 here round? Flags aren't round!
    Other emojis aren't restricted to round shapes. 📖

🇳🇵

• area_can

@bb36e wtf have you done to Nepal