WTF Bites

• 🚽 Regular

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

Another proof that the best way to learn about things is to post something wrong.

I believe this is called Amdahl's Law.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

Another proof that the best way to learn about things is to post something wrong.

Wrong. It's Cole's Law.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

@Polygeekery which, as I understand it, is why titanium stuff is so (comparatively) expensive.

That might be part of it, but probably not a huge concern compared to other characteristics of the material.

Ti isn't any more rare than Fe, really (or not much).

I don't know about that. I have no idea how it compares as an overall makeup of the planet. But I do know that the ores themselves are not evenly distributed. Most of the titanium is mined in Russia, and in Siberia IIRC. So that would make it more expensive just by itself. For instance, when we wanted to make the SR-71 Blackbirds the CIA had to use shell corporations to purchase the titanium for them from the Russians. Which is pretty cool. Buying the materials to make the spy plane from the country you are going to deploy them against.

It's just obnoxious to work with because it oxidizes rapidly and exothermically. Which is what keeps it from rusting/corroding--that layer of oxide shields the rest of it. But ignition is just rapid, exothermic oxidation.

The bigger problem with titanium is that it work hardens very quickly which makes machining it a very specialized skill. Aluminum, iron, steel, magnesium, etc. all have a comparatively wide range of acceptable machining parameters. Titanium does not. You have to work it at just the right feeds and speeds or it will work harden and start breaking your tooling. Once that happens you have to anneal it and start over. Work hardened titanium even gives carbide tooling a hard time. Other materials will progressively work harden, but titanium work hardens instantly. Quickly enough that when it does it shock loads carbide tooling while simultaneously significantly increasing the temperature of the cutting face. Those are two things that carbide tooling does not like: shock loading and quick changes in temperature.

This propensity for work hardening also makes forging of titanium parts very difficult. First of it requires absolutely insane forces to do it regardless and it will also instantly work harden and wreck your hammers if you allow the temperature to drop too much. But on the other hand, if you get it too hot......

0286c790-6608-4d27-905c-51357ccc418f-image.png

The fellow I worked for that had the big machine shop, he went to machine some titanium parts once while I was around. He cleaned out his chip pans after every pass because as he put it: "You don't want to see what happens if it decides to light off with a full pan."

@Polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

"You don't want to see what happens if it decides to light off with a full pan."

Not if too close, no. That's what observation bunkers are for.

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

Wrong. It's Cole's Law.

I thought that was the one about how thinly sliced the cabbage should be.

• @PJH said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

Wrong. It's Cole's Law.

I thought that was the one about how thinly sliced the cabbage should be.

That joke is pretty sour...

• @Polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

as he put it: "You don't want to see what happens if it decides to light off with a full pan."

Polygeekery: What? You bet I do.

I don't know about that. I have no idea how it compares as an overall makeup of the planet.

I heard/read yesterday (probably in a video about the effects of the current world situation on the aviation industry) that it is the 9th most abundant element in the Earth's crust.

One of the problems that affects the aviation industry is that everything has to be certified. Even if alternative suppliers can make the required parts, it may take up to a year or so to get new suppliers certified.

• Considered Harmful

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

It looks like they inserted a bunch of random shit at the end. I only had to print the first two pages.

Oh no! You missed the Terms & Conditions which have to be signed!

Yeah and isn't the receipt in front just an example/decoy??

• Trolleybus Mechanic

So today I fucked up. I just fork-bombed the production server. There was a python script, running inside a docker container, which called wget to download some stuff from somewere. That particular version of wget (or maybe all versions?) created a zombie "ssl_client" process each time it ran. And of course, since inside the container the python script is PID 1, it just left it there. I should probably have known that. Fixed with '--init', so far it looks fine.
    The good news is that the $bigClient didn't even notice, since the website he looks at is served by node, which runs in a single thread. Hard reboot was needed to gain shell access though.

• @BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

It looks like they inserted a bunch of random shit at the end. I only had to print the first two pages.

Oh no! You missed the Terms & Conditions which have to be signed!

And initialed on every page!

• Not so much a :wtf: as a :wat::
    6ce5eda0-45b4-45f8-9ad2-03d6c48fecf2-image.png

Edit, Spoiler:

It turns out it was the crew nickname for the process, which needed to be every so often, of trimming the lining of the main 16" (406.4mm) gun barrels. The barrels are made of multiple layers of tubing, and innermost liner layer has the rifling. As the guns are fired, the force of the projectile being pushed through the barrel gradually forces the liner out the end of the barrel. Since the end of the liner is no longer supported by the structural tube of the barrel, it can crack, and the crack can propagate down the length of the liner, destroying the gun's accuracy. So every 50 shots, or so, the overhanging liner needs to be trimmed off to prevent cracks. The crew called this circumcision, and even had the ship's chaplain oversee the process.

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

Not so much a :wtf: as a :wat::
    6ce5eda0-45b4-45f8-9ad2-03d6c48fecf2-image.png

For starters you're going to need a badass of a rabbi. The kind of rabbi that makes Chuck Norris scared.

• BINNED

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

910FF767-610A-4CCC-BDEE-EE6A382F0B1C.gif

• Considered Harmful

@Polygeekery the Zohan?

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

voiced bilabial fricative
    voiced bilabial stop
    voiced labiodental fricative

I'm sure that's how we nerds sound to non-computer people. Or, more on topic, it sounds remarably like a monad is a monoid in the category of endofunctors cricket.

voiced = tightening the vocal cords so they vibrate to produce sound
    bilabial = forming a barrier to the movement of air consisting of both lips
    labiodental = forming a barrier to the movement of air consisting of a row of teeth (usually the upper teeth) and a lip (usually the lower lip)
    fricative = producing sound by blowing or sucking air past the barriers (teeth, lips, tongue, palate, etc.)
    stop = producing sound leading up to a total blockage of air movement past the barriers (and sometimes an explosive release of that air in a popping manner, mostly depending on the subsequent sound)

• @Gribnit said in WTF Bites:

they don't count towards the file size

You don't say...

Well, reported file size, to be more accurate. They still take up space on the storage medium.

• BINNED

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

voiced bilabial fricative
    voiced bilabial stop
    voiced labiodental fricative

I'm sure that's how we nerds sound to non-computer people. Or, more on topic, it sounds remarably like a monad is a monoid in the category of endofunctors cricket.

vibrate to produce sound

I know that sound

610d9322-77ac-49d0-9fcc-57a0ae8c6314-image.png

• @Polygeekery I've seen a 1/2 cubic meter of magnesium slag catch fire. Or rather, I was temporarily blinded and saw spots for days. The small strips of the stuff they burn in chemistry to show you does not compare to a huge pile of it burning.

• 🚽 Regular

Cunning as a ham.

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

@Polygeekery I've seen a 1/2 cubic meter of magnesium slag catch fire. Or rather, I was temporarily blinded and saw spots for days. The small strips of the stuff they burn in chemistry to show you does not compare to a huge pile of it burning.

My dad had a good friend that raced circle track. He looked like vaguely like a villain from a horror movie with a 🔥 backstory because he went to weld on a PowerGlide case that he thought was aluminum but turned out to be magnesium. As he put it: "It was as though someone opened the fires of hell in my lap".

Magnesium is some wicked stuff when it ignites. He told me that 35ish years ago and to this day I give things that I think are aluminum the pocket knife test before I go welding on unknown objects that I'm pretty sure are aluminum.

• @Polygeekery ouch. Magnesium is what they use on flares, because it burns really really hot and bright. We used to take the little flare fireworks and use them to burn holes in pieces of metal. I can't imagine welding it.

@Polygeekery I've seen a 1/2 cubic meter of magnesium slag catch fire. Or rather, I was temporarily blinded and saw spots for days. The small strips of the stuff they burn in chemistry to show you does not compare to a huge pile of it burning.

My dad had a good friend that raced circle track. He looked like vaguely like a villain from a horror movie with a 🔥 backstory because he went to weld on a PowerGlide case that he thought was aluminum but turned out to be magnesium. As he put it: "It was as though someone opened the fires of hell in my lap".

Magnesium is some wicked stuff when it ignites. He told me that 35ish years ago and to this day I give things that I think are aluminum the pocket knife test before I go welding on unknown objects that I'm pretty sure are aluminum.

Yeah, the place I was working at was a smelting and casting plant. We usually did aluminium, but someone paid very well for getting magnesium so we had one or two machines running that. And the entire fucking factory was brighter than daylight when the slag pile caught fire. The heat from it was also there, but the brightness. Fucking hell. Getting out into the noon summer day was like walking into the night.
    And the really amusing part? The idiot that was running the machine was standing OVER THE BURNING SLAG PILE LOOKING DOWN ON IT.

@Polygeekery ouch. Magnesium is what they use on flares, because it burns really really hot and bright. We used to take the little flare fireworks and use them to burn holes in pieces of metal. I can't imagine welding it.

When camping/backpacking we used to carry fire starters that were magnesium with a strip of ferrocerium embedded in the other side. Shave off some magnesium into your tinder turn it around and rake the ferrocerium with the back of your knife blade and when the magnesium lit it would get your fire going even if your tinder was damp. It also illuminated half the forest if you did it at night. And that was just a gram or two. I would hate to light off several kilograms of it while astraddle of it and leaning over it. -shudder-

• Considered Harmful

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

Cannot open Radeon control panel because

39ef6edf-9422-415e-b391-fc6e544db7ce-image.png

HOW THE FUCK DID THIS EVEN HAPPEN I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THE DRIVER IN MONTHS

If you have stable ABIs, it's the programmer's responsibility to come up with a way to fuck :trop up regardless.

• Considered Harmful

@Gribnit said in WTF Bites:

they don't count towards the file size

You don't say...

Well, reported file size, to be more accurate. They still take up space on the storage medium.

This distinction, while important to me, is not important for my purposes.

• Considered Harmful

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

Cunning as a ham.

Ham cam be surprisingly crafty, mind.

• Considered Harmful

The idiot that was running the machine was standing OVER THE BURNING SLAG PILE LOOKING DOWN ON IT.

Thus acquiring total enlightenment.

• @Gribnit said in WTF Bites:

The idiot that was running the machine was standing OVER THE BURNING SLAG PILE LOOKING DOWN ON IT.

Thus acquiring total enlightenment.

Well, half of him aquired total enlightenment at least.

• TIL that Windows maintains a completely separate, inconsistent, very differently formatted set of time zone identifiers from everyone what. :wtf:

• Considered Harmful

@Benjamin-Hall huh, I bet they show up in the Java timezone dump then. Any examples? They did terrible things to differentiate themselves from Unix and CPM while stealing from same, back in the twilight of this their dark night.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

TIL that Windows maintains a completely separate, inconsistent, very differently formatted set of time zone identifiers from everyone what. :wtf:

I guess they do it for histerical :raisins:. Long, long ago they apparently decided that they

• only need the current definition, not the past and future ones, and
    • have very little space for it.

So their definitions can actually be relatively easily interpreted (the data everyone else uses are generally precalculated long to the past and future, because the rules are too complex for regular use), but the dates from before changes of the rules won't be correct.

• BINNED

@Bulb random thought: does that mean to correctly interpret a date/time you not only need it’s UTC, time zone, and time zone information, but also the time it was stored? Because, you know, it could have been stored as a time in the future but then in the meantime the time zone rules have changed and then, um…?

• @topspin Well, yes. If you stored a future timestamp before EU decided to abolish summer time, then

• if you stored it as long count (unix time), you won't know which hour it is and
    • if you stored it as wall clock (split) time, you won't know when exactly it will occur

until the EU decides what the time zones will end up. The correlation between long and wall clock time is not known for the future, so you have to consider which you actually want to record for each use-case.

Windows additionally lack the information about past rules, adding some cases where the conversion will be wrong due to implementation limitations, but the above problem is principal.

• Considered Harmful

Is it a good time to bring up Etc/GMT±x yet? I can't tell, because I may have forgotten to reverse the damn thing.

More supply chain issues fucking up our work. We have a service that we deploy that utilizes large format touch screens so we use off the shelf TVs and add on infrared touch screen frames. The ones we typically order are completely out of stock and we cannot get anymore for a month. There are other options but they do not list a Linux driver as being available. So now I get to drop $1600 on infrared frames to see if I can get them to work on Linux.

They should. Most of them are cookie cutter Lego parts so these are probably the same as we normally order, but I am still venturing into uncharted waters to try and meet a deadline.
    Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=infrared+touch+screen+frames+linux&i=electronics&page=2&crid=G0J47J6GELEF&qid=1647812665&sprefix=infrared+touch+screen+frames+linux%2Celectronics%2C78&ref=sr_pg_2

I want to know how this works more. Can I use them for my regular desktop computer? Or even for my laptop?

My husband never knows what to get me for Christmas, I usually say something that is a computer related splurge and I think this would count if not overly complicated or expensive.

ETA: I did not realize how old this post that I was commenting to was. Apparently, I have not kept up with this thread.

• @Karla said in WTF Bites:

More supply chain issues fucking up our work. We have a service that we deploy that utilizes large format touch screens so we use off the shelf TVs and add on infrared touch screen frames. The ones we typically order are completely out of stock and we cannot get anymore for a month. There are other options but they do not list a Linux driver as being available. So now I get to drop $1600 on infrared frames to see if I can get them to work on Linux.

They should. Most of them are cookie cutter Lego parts so these are probably the same as we normally order, but I am still venturing into uncharted waters to try and meet a deadline.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=infrared+touch+screen+frames+linux&i=electronics&page=2&crid=G0J47J6GELEF&qid=1647812665&sprefix=infrared+touch+screen+frames+linux%2Celectronics%2C78&ref=sr_pg_2

I want to know how this works more. Can I use them for my regular desktop computer? Or even for my laptop?

My husband never knows what to get me for Christmas, I usually say something that is a computer related splurge and I think this would count if not overly complicated or expensive.

ETA: I did not realize how old this post that I was commenting to was. Apparently, I have not kept up with this thread.

Not entirely sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but yeah, you can buy a touch surface that you can add to pretty much any screen and get it to work.

• Considered Harmful

@Karla you would hate it. The gorilla-arm effect occurs with any more than very occasional use. Vertical touchscreens are unsuited for longer-term-than-minutes use. They break for hours, it is excessive rotator-cuff fatigue.

@Karla said in WTF Bites:

Not that I am aware of. The sensor array sticks out a little bit. I don't know how it could work with a laptop and still close. Desktop....... probably? I don't know how small the sizes go. I've only ever ordered them for like 70"+. I think I've seen them for 32"? Maybe? I'd look, but :kneeling_warthog:

Basically it is an array of infrared emitters on one side of horizontal and vertical and receivers on the other. Break the beam and it correlates to a X-Y "touch", though you don't have to touch it. Just break the beams.

it is an array of infrared emitters on one side of horizontal and vertical and receivers on the other.

If it wasn't clear, and it probably wasn't, it is a frame that attached to the front of the monitor or TV that holds the emitters and receivers. It adds 1/2"? to the front of the monitor? Maybe a bit more?

• BINNED

1/2"?

Looks to have been some kind of character encoding “kerfuffle” somewhere…

• Banned

• @kazitor Nah, he just meant '1/2"(?)' to indicate he was unsure of the exact magnitude of that dimension, but he couldn't be bothered to add the parentheses.

• BINNED

'1/2"(?)'

oh no, it’s spreading…

• ♿ (Parody)

@kazitor you just have to turn off the metric fonts.

• Considered Harmful

A strict "no magic values" policy means I see shit like this daily: final int FOUR = 4;

And I won't be half surprised when someday it becomes final int FOUR = 5;

• Considered Harmful

@error that declaration is also non-compliant.

• @error said in WTF Bites:

A strict "no magic values" policy means I see shit like this daily: final int FOUR = 4;

final int FOUR = 262144; // This is in a 16.16 fixed point format. :tro-pop:

• Java Dev

@cvi #define FIX_INT(n) ((n) << 16)

• @error said in WTF Bites:

Anybody who thinks 4 is a magic value but FOUR is not is an idiot. Unfortunately this kind of idiocy seems to be fairly widespread.