WTF Bites

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Arantor said in WTF Bites:

@boomzilla I get it tracks both. That’s nonsense for it to do so when I indicate “but I don’t care, treat everything as though I read it”

At least you can hack around it when you go into a thread by pressing the double down arrow to jump to the last post.

At least if you're using infiniscroll like Jeff god intended :tro-pop:

• @Arantor NodeBB also has bugs with scrolling. Sometimes it's jellypotato, sometimes it just straight up refuses to scroll to the post at all (happens more often with my own posts or when ignored accounts post).

• BINNED

@izzion said in WTF Bites:

@boomzilla I get it tracks both. That’s nonsense for it to do so when I indicate “but I don’t care, treat everything as though I read it”

At least you can hack around it when you go into a thread by pressing the double down arrow to jump to the last post.

You also get buttons to go to the end if you use pagination like a sane person. Actually you get both, the pagination buttons and the infiniscroll buttons.

3AAE053A-AB36-4BE6-9C73-594F58E3DE60.jpeg

Problem is of course that the buttons in the wannabe-:disco:🐎 infiniscroll shit don’t actually work, because there are two active elements on top of each other. If I try to click double down arrows it doesn’t actually activate that button because at the same time it also scrolls in the retarded progress bar thingy, randomly throwing me back several thousand posts.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

@izzion said in WTF Bites:

You also get buttons to go to the end if you use pagination like a sane person. Actually you get both, the pagination buttons and the infiniscroll buttons.

3AAE053A-AB36-4BE6-9C73-594F58E3DE60.jpeg

Problem is of course that the buttons in the wannabe-:disco:🐎 infiniscroll shit don’t actually work, because there are two active elements on top of each other. If I try to click double down arrows it doesn’t actually activate that button because at the same time it also scrolls in the retarded progress bar thingy, randomly throwing me back several thousand posts.

You just need to make your screen :3px: wider :tro-pop:

Fake edit: though the real answer for the touch bar there is to be less heavy handed - if you're really girlie dainty with your tap, the scroll event doesn't fire.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@topspin mobile is Different™.

• I mean here’s the kicker. I’m using an iPad (yes, I do own an Apple product), so I’m on the segment of mobile that is different from the other mobile and it has its own share of fuckery like the composer getting scrolled over the page but I’m used to being that outcast on a tablet so I have strategies for it.

And I even sympathise with jellypotato having been a forum dev for years at this point.

But that’s not what irks me. For threads like the Status thread that are massive, if I marked “General” read, it should treat it as though the last post I read in the Status thread was the last post at the time I marked General read.

I’m explicitly saying “I don’t care where I was in the topic”. I certainly don’t want it to mean “ok, so I don’t care just right now that there’s new stuff so when you put it on my unread list, you’re going to show me content from 2017 when I last physically opened it and thus all the content I have not seen.”

It’s stupid. I don’t care what the implementation rationalisation is, and it’s not even because I’ve been using those 90s hellstew forums since the 90s, it’s that my expectation is supported by those things and subverted by this implementation and it is a :wtf:

• Considered Harmful

Magic Arena shit the bed again, so I had to reinstall it. I figure while it's downloading 5GiB of updates to my PC, I'll play it on my phone. Nope! Logging in on my phone immediately halts the patch process on my PC.

Filed under: :trwtf: is that I'm paying for gigabit Internet and still this takes longer than 40 seconds.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

Google Lens has a feature that can translate text from any language to any other. I got a thing with some Chinese text written with English letters:

35391c50-d230-4f7c-87ef-5a6621a249d2-image.png

so I thought I would try to translate it. Point Google Lens at it, hit translate, and hey, it auto detects Chinese, great. So, what does all this mean in English?

52c1a298-b600-45ce-9029-a660ae2c932d-image.png
    :womp_wah:

Ok so that didn't work, lets try doing it the tedious way:

fa0448e0-0bcc-4b36-961c-0e2a9187f020-image.png

Ok, that's most of it, and while there's a bit of Engrish I think I can figure it out. Now, to add the final word:

aab37a32-23cf-425c-a1f5-95946845a761-image.png

:wtf:

Did I mean to put what Google is suggesting? Lets find out:

74370ff9-3281-4a14-a7ea-eff85b697b7f-image.png

Thanks Google, very cool

Ya bought a brick with fortune cookie sayings on it. I'm not sure what you're expecting.

@Arantor Maybe it's fixed in an update we'll never get

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@Arantor Maybe it's fixed in an update we'll never get

:doing_it_wrong: It's open source. You fucking fix it.

• @DogsB said in WTF Bites:

:doing_it_wrong: It's open source. You fucking fix it.

:kneeling_warthog:

• @DogsB then I’d have JavaScript on me more than I already do, no thanks.

• @BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

Let's wait for iPolish Version 2.

Meanwhile, we already have our cheap, generic Polish members here.

• @coderpatsy said in WTF Bites:

@Arantor NodeBB also has bugs with scrolling. Sometimes it's jellypotato, sometimes it just straight up refuses to scroll to the post at all (happens more often with my own posts or when ignored accounts post).

And it always (?) refuses to scroll the compose window when posting from mobile.

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

Cheap, but efficient!

• @HardwareGeek only sometimes in my case. Maximising it seemed to help, but I’m on a tablet so neither phone nor desktop sized “apparently”.

@Arantor On my tablet, I get the mobile view if I hold the device one way, and the desktop view if I turn it by 90°. The desktop view is often a bit nicer for reading, but the tablet view is better for writing replies (due to the placement of the on-screen keyboard). 😆

• @Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

I got a thing with some Chinese text written with English letters:

35391c50-d230-4f7c-87ef-5a6621a249d2-image.png

Maybe @cheong can help? 🤷

I don't know much about Putonghua PinYin (and btw, some of the PinYin combination here does not exist, so at least not a checked one) You'll need to tell me the context of product for me to guess the correct characters.

ZHU YI
    注意
    Notice

1. PI XU SHI YONG ZHI DING XING HAO DE DIANZI SHUAZI.
      必須使用指定型號的電子刷子
      You must use the specified model of electric brush.
    2. DUI DIANSHUAZI BU NENG SHI YONG YOU XING DE DONG XI.
      "對"(?)電刷子不能使用油性的東西
      The electric brush cannot be used in oily things.
    3. DIANSHUAZI QING ZAI MO SHUN XIAN DU XIAN NEI SHI YONG.
      電子刷子請在磨損限度"先"(?)來使用.
      Please use the electric brush within the limit of wear out. (?)

Better find someone live in mainland China to translate.

• @cheong said in WTF Bites:

The electric brush cannot be used in ? hole.

The kink thread is :arrows:.

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@cheong said in WTF Bites:

The electric brush cannot be used in ? hole.

The kink thread is :arrows:.

Updated. :p

Like I said before, I don't know much about Putonghua PinYin. So all the above translation involves guesses heavily.

• @BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

@TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

:take_my_money:
    Oh, wait a moment: only 19 dollars? That's faaar to cheeeaaap! That must be some Chinesium fake product.
    A real Apple product would cost at least $199.

Don't worry. You didn't buy it, you merely licensed it. The recurring charge will show up each month now.

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

You didn't buy it, you merely licensed it. The recurring charge will show up each month now.

It's an Apple cloth, not a Microsoft cloth.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Arantor On my tablet, I get the mobile view if I hold the device one way, and the desktop view if I turn it by 90°. The desktop view is often a bit nicer for reading, but the tablet view is better for writing replies (due to the placement of the on-screen keyboard). 😆

Cool! You get the :3px: thing both ways!

• @cheong The product is a 2-pack of carbon brushes for a motor. Something like this:

eb3c8e13-a6c5-47f0-8c6f-9a84c7be78ba-image.png

Based on your translation, it's pretty much what I thought from Google's broken translation, at least for the first two. The third point came up as something about displaying in the magic moment.

In any case it's not terribly important, but thanks for taking the effort

• Considered Harmful

@MrL said in WTF Bites:

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

Cheap, but efficient!

For whatever reason, a common German expression for "to take the piss" is "to apple", so your members should be OK to use on iSomething.

• I don’t know if I ever shared this nugget of WTF but here goes.

My stepdad and I never saw eye to eye on many things but the one subject we learned a long time ago was to not discuss programming despite it being basically the only thing we actually had in common.

He would rail against modern software development for how wasteful it is - and he’s not wrong - but he would routinely argue that software should be built in assembly because that would be fastest.

Now, he started programming in 1980 or so when this was kinda true, so I get it, but here’s the :wtf:

He doesn’t program in assembly himself. He uses QBASIC booted on his 486.

I’d have more sympathy for this view if he upheld it himself or he ever tried to write anything of the complexity that I do on a daily basis.

I mean, I even think he uses QBASIC wrong. QBASIC for all its faults has functions and subroutines (void functions) with proper local scope so you can do nicely delineated code but then he goes off and writes 30K of BASIC all in global scope and does everything with GO SUB and GO TO. And wonders why he runs into variable collisions.

His principle reason for not using proper subroutines? QBASIC “hides” the code from him. Having it all in one place is easier to work with.

• 🚽 Regular

@Arantor Has he done ever worked on anything more complex that Gorillas?

• ♿ (Parody)

I mean, I even think he uses QBASIC wrong. QBASIC for all its faults has functions and subroutines (void functions) with proper local scope so you can do nicely delineated code but then he goes off and writes 30K of BASIC all in global scope and does everything with GO SUB and GO TO. And wonders why he runs into variable collisions.

His principle reason for not using proper subroutines? QBASIC “hides” the code from him. Having it all in one place is easier to work with.

Did he ever say anything about noodles being jammed?

• @Zecc he figured out how to jam some assembly into an array and call it so he could use the mouse interrupt to do things, but that was back in 1994 or so he figured that out.

He wrote an entire GUI “paint program” with this 160 bytes of machine code and 30K+ of BASIC.

I also saw a half-done roulette game at one point as well.

• @boomzilla nope, no noodles being jammed. That would at least have made me laugh.

• Considered Harmful

d240d051-faf1-424c-9ca0-b0931084f34a-image.png

:wtf_owl:

Where to begin with this. I'm guessing it's handling "special characters" by... handling each one individually? I think they missed a couple.
    Since it's a case-when, it only handles the first one to match, so I hope they never have more than one at once. I also like how trademark gets two matches; you've got to be extra careful with those.

• Considered Harmful

I’d have more sympathy for this view if he upheld it himself or he ever tried to write anything of the complexity that I do on a daily basis.

"Real programmers can write assembly code in any language"
    QED.

does everything with GO SUB and GO TO

Did he learn on GW-BASIC or one of the 8-bit micro BASICs? I did, but I got better…

• @error said in WTF Bites:

d240d051-faf1-424c-9ca0-b0931084f34a-image.png

:wtf_owl:

Where to begin with this. I'm guessing it's handling "special characters" by... handling each one individually? I think they missed a couple.
    Since it's a case-when, it only handles the first one to match, so I hope they never have more than one at once. I also like how trademark gets two matches; you've got to be extra careful with those.

And then there are the replacement values. What does the chr() fucntion return? I'd expect it to return a character with given unicode codepoint, but then:

• & gets replaced with chr(38), which is itself
    • < gets replaced with chr(60), which is itself
    • > gets replaced with chr(62), which is itself
    • " gets replaced with chr(34), which is itself
    • gets replaced with chr(14845090), which is outside Unicode character range
    • ® gets replaced with chr(49838), which is (hangul syllable seulm)
    • â gets replaced with chr(50082), which is (hangul syllable ssyeogg)
    • ø (or is it ) gets replaced with chr(50104), which is (hangul syllable ssyeok)
    • ° gets replaced with chr(49840), which is (hangul syllable seuls)

:sideways_owl: :wtf_owl: :sideways_owl:

@Bulb It does what you think it does

• @dkf he is of the generation who built his ZX80 from kit, got through to ZX Basic on the Spectrum and moved to Z80 assembly because BASIC was too slow for some things.

His last project for the Spectrum was a blackjack game using Z80 routines to draw the cards and a BASIC program for all the management (and it was nasty-buggy in places where it would start overflowing and overwriting the deck so you could start to have a single deck of cards with increasingly more 10 of Clubs than you should have)

I get the journey he took but apparently it stopped sometime in the 1980s and then he thinks I’m a bad programmer for wanting things like variable scope because “the processor doesn’t have them”.

He also genuinely believes that he could write better assembly on modern systems than modern C compilers.

• @Bulb smells like Oracle and something that isn’t UTF-8… maybe some fuckery with Win-1251 or 1252 ending up in UCS-2 (not quite UTF-16)?

• Banned

then he thinks I’m a bad programmer for wanting things like variable scope because “the processor doesn’t have them”.

Has he ever heard of ebp/esp?

• @Gąska he is vaguely aware that EAX exists. I haven’t the heart to tell him about the whole ARM thing yet.

• @loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@Bulb It does what you think it does

Then … :wtf: code page from hell is it using that has codes as high as 14845090? (14,845,090 is 0xe2_84a2 and unicode is capped at 0x10_ffff because :raisins:)

He also genuinely believes that he could write better assembly on modern systems than modern C compilers.

It's actually possible. Just really unlikely; there's only a handful of people on the planet capable of consistently beating a modern compiler (usually because they know better when they can play sneaky tricks). I can read that stuff, but I sure as fuck aren't going to try writing it…

His last project for the Spectrum was a blackjack game using Z80 routines to draw the cards and a BASIC program for all the management (and it was nasty-buggy in places where it would start overflowing and overwriting the deck so you could start to have a single deck of cards with increasingly more 10 of Clubs than you should have)

I was bored once in class and wrote Uno on my Ti83+. First iteration used RNG cards. This was terribad. I then used all six List variables instead for accuracy, and used the RNG to "shuffle" the deck. Much better!

• @dkf sure, there are going to be the times and edge cases where this is true.

But fuck off will it be my stepdad. This is a guy who claims he can’t learn C. He has bought several books, and has “tried” to learn C.

And then can make the assertion that he could write better assembly than the compiler could anyway therefore that’s clearly the problem here.

And remember, he also asserts all developers should be using assembly (except not him because he’s just a hobbyist) because then software would be faster.

He has bought several books, and has “tried” to learn C.

I found it easier to learn Pascal first. Once I'd done that, C was straight forward (since it was really different syntax for very similar semantics, and by that time I'd managed to grasp structured programming and datatypes). I guess that some other language might be a better choice now.

• Same thing for me, except:
    @dkf said in WTF Bites:

I found it easier to learn Pascal and assembly first. Once I'd done that, C was straight forward

🔧

• @dkf he’ll be using QBASIC or maybe QB64 until he dies, I think.

I don’t even mind that, it’s a language that lets him do what he wants within a hardware configuration he wants (he does random stuff like using it o control LED displays for Christmas decorations and stuff like that where timing can be a thing but his 486-DX100 runs fast enough)

I object to the preaching and sanctimony that comes with it, like the fact I use anything else is not good enough.

• xCode Annoyance of the Minute: You can only do a build that you can distribute (ie "Archive" a build) when the platform is set to "Any iOS device". That platform selector is the same one used to select what simulated environment/real device you're testing on. So to archive (say to give to QA so they can test), you have to

• Click the selector, scroll WAY UP to the Any iOS device option
    • Go through the menu to archive
    • Once that finishes, find the new entry in the separate Organizer window, click Distribute
    • Go through a bunch of wizard-based steps
    • Wait for it to actually compile the app down to bytecode (WTF it was doing during the archiving step when it said it was compiling, I have no idea)
    • Find where you exported it, ship it off to QA (or wherever).

If only one option is valid for archiving, and that option isn't valid for anything but archiving, don't make me go through a rigamarole of manually selecting it! Just do the needful automatically!

Compare that to Android Studio, where the process is

• Select the menu option "Build APK"
    • Wait for compile
    • Click the "locate" button on the handy popup, pass that file off to QA.

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Then … :wtf: code page from hell is it using that has codes as high as 14845090? (14,845,090 is 0xe2_84a2 and unicode is capped at 0x10_ffff because :raisins:)

UTF-8. The byte sequence E2 84 A2 encodes the codepoint U+2122, which is ™.

• @TwelveBaud Wow, that's a new level of retardery! An Oracle level of retardery, apparently!

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

An Oracle level of retardery, apparently!

Join the club. No, really, there's an official I-Hate-Oracle club.