WTF Bites

• @loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

Speaking of things that won't let you choose destination or rename, what's browsers' excuse? They used to have that functionality.

Firefox still does.

8b201e9a-1095-460c-897e-89185b0c505e-image.png

Firefox also does another thing: it asks you whether you want to download or open, and if you say open, it saves the file to a temporary location, so it does not clutter up your downloads. Except if there is content disposition or something that forces download, or it does not any application that could open the server-sent mime type.

Chrome just downloads.

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@loopback0 They save having to calculate the file's hash by including it in the filename

We know where swampy works now...

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb Of course it would be exceedingly difficult to subscribe to filesystem notifications for files downloaded during the current session. We wouldn't want Chrome to eat even more memory.

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

We wouldn't want Chrome to eat even more memory.

Impossible!

• Banned

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

But the bottom bar disappears then, so does Blunt Fred the User know he still has the file? So when Blunt Fred the User realizes half an hour later he needed something more from that document, does he go hunting for the file in the file manager? No, he clicks the link again. And Chrome dully downloads the file again with a (1) appended to the name. And ten minutes later it happens again, this time with (2)

I am in this post and I don't like it.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@HardwareGeek Maybe there's a new feature where it downloads some more RAM and then uses it all.

• Banned

Fun fact: at one point I've had no less than 10 copies of my college class schedule in my downloads folder.

• BINNED

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

@hungrier They're both the same file.

Did they hire :doing_it_wrong: as the Team[s] lead?!

• BINNED

@TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

Checksums, how do they work! :thonking:

Letting you choose the download folder and set the filename is about 3 lines of code. If they can't figure out how to do that, I wouldn't expect them to be able to use checksums 🤷🏻♂

Is it, though? I mean, it is for a normal program, but since this is some node browser-as-a-platform garbage, maybe it isn't? I really don't know, but the alternatives are either they picked a framework so retarded that this isn't easily possible, or it is possible just fine and they still didn't do it. I don't know which is worse.

When I asked a few weeks ago how the fuck to get presentations in full-screen mode to actually appear full-screen, @jbert helpfully pointed out that there's this "focus" option hidden behind the three dots hambuger. Which is idiotic enough to begin with, but it didn't show up for me. When I joined a video call last week, it showed me some new stupid dialog which it's never shown before. So I guess it quietly updated something, as these web-shit apps are wont to do, and thus I checked again. The option is there now. 🎉 Of course it is only there in the three dots menu, directly below "full screen", but not in the application's actual main menu which does show the "full screen" option in the window menu. My theory? Well, since the main menu also otherwise shows basically no options, I guess it only shows the default entries that any app you create from a hello world template shows, nothing more. No really, no matter if you're in chat or video call or whatever, it only shows the same basic "Undo", Redo", "Copy", "Paste" etc. options you'd get from a basic text editor. Obviously "Undo" doesn't undo doing a video call, or for that matter, doesn't do anything at all. Because fuck you, this is some web shit running in an embedded browser, we don't need to display real menu entries like a real application.

Also, I think this thing wants to be some kind of "platform" your business can customize to your needs, or some garbage like that. Because they couldn't figure out how to provide a sane product that doesn't suck out of the box. (Exactly the kind of IBM/SAP shit @blakeyrat would complain about, would love to see him defend this MS abomination).
    Anyways, because it's such an intuitive product I tried to figure out how the hell to setup a video conference and sent people an invitation link (so far I've only ever joined). The google results I found didn't work because the options they said to click aren't even there. So instead I clicked the first sidebar option which reads "Info center" which seems to be a simple plugin of our specific instance which basically just embeds help pages in its built-in browser (oh wait, the whole application just is a browser, right). Searching through how to send an invitation, the answer from our page started with "Go to Outlook and ...". What the actual fuck, I don't use or have Outlook, why do I need to go to an external program to do the absolutely most basic thing in there. Okay, whatever, click to some other link on the help pages. Nothing happens, must have mis-clicked it. No? Click it a dozen more times, nothing. Is the link broken or the server unreachable? Why don't I get an error message?
    Some time much later when I had finished dealing with this I go back to my actual browser and see that it has loaded the page there a dozen of times. Because apparently some links open in Teams and some open in your normal browser. Without bringing the browser to focus.

Yes, I know that everyone here thinks it's just a not particularly great app, but I think it's some of the most retarded shit I have seen in a long time.

/rant off, but to be continued I'm sure.

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

No really, no matter if you're in chat or video call or whatever, it only shows the same basic "Undo", Redo", "Copy", "Paste" etc. options you'd get from a basic text editor. Obviously "Undo" doesn't undo doing a video call, or for that matter, doesn't do anything at all.

Teams Meetings can have chat, so it works there. However it's all one Teams app for everything. Even if you don't have access to Teams and all you do is join Teams meetings hosted by other organisations, it's the same app which just happens to do meetings so the menu's there because, well, why wouldn't it have one?

Anyways, because it's such an intuitive product I tried to figure out how the hell to setup a video conference and sent people an invitation link (so far I've only ever joined). The google results I found didn't work because the options they said to click aren't even there.

Having a license for Teams doesn't necessarily mean you have a license to create meetings.

• @topspin When I get invites in my Outlook, if I click the link, it opens a webpage in Chrome, which offers me 3 options:

• Download and install the local app
    • Open the link in the local app
    • Use the browser version of Teams

FYI, the local app is already installed.

If I click the link to open the local app, NOTHING HAPPENS :wtf:
    So I usually just join the meeting using the browser, while I still have the local app opened since our department use it to chat to each other.

Maybe if I installed Teams on Linux it would work better 🤷🏻♂

• BINNED

@loopback0 said in WTF Bites:

No really, no matter if you're in chat or video call or whatever, it only shows the same basic "Undo", Redo", "Copy", "Paste" etc. options you'd get from a basic text editor. Obviously "Undo" doesn't undo doing a video call, or for that matter, doesn't do anything at all.

Teams Meetings can have chat, so it works there. However it's all one Teams app for everything. Even if you don't have access to Teams and all you do is join Teams meetings hosted by other organisations, it's the same app which just happens to do meetings so the menu's there because, well, why wouldn't it have one?

No, it is there because Node (or macOS, or whatever) thinks the whole app is a giant text box, and there's some states like chat where these default entries just so happen to do something. Mostly by accident.
    Change my mind. 🏆

Change my mind. 🏆

You're over-estimating how much I care about this.

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

They used to have that functionality.

They still do. At least FF (latest, as of a few days ago) and Chrome (not latest, but recent) do.

What's the latest version of chrome? Am I a Time Pod Traveller? Because this (Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)) version lets you choose a place:

45e0aa64-a8c9-49b2-85fe-dc19067244ef-image.png

• @boomzilla Perhaps misunderstanding. I was not saying that the feature has been removed from the latest Chrome; rather, that I'm not running the latest version to check. (It has a big, red "Update me, pretty please!!!11!1!" button, which I'll probably get around to clicking, eventually.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek whew! I was worried there for a moment.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@Applied-Mediocrity said in WTF Bites:

@TimeBandit I presume it will also keep downloading the same file over and over again, piling up the folder with copies, like Skype does.

Most browsers are guilty of exactly the same thing. Well, in combination with hiding the fact a download to permanent location is happening.

See, if you click on something the browser can't open in Chrome, it will download, by default without asking where, and the file appears on the bottom of the screen, and clicking it opens it. Which is what the user wanted, right. But the bottom bar disappears then, so does Blunt Fred the User know he still has the file? So when Blunt Fred the User realizes half an hour later he needed something more from that document, does he go hunting for the file in the file manager? No, he clicks the link again. And Chrome dully downloads the file again with a (1) appended to the name. And ten minutes later it happens again, this time with (2)

At least they did it right in Chrome mobile...

Screenshot_20201216-160907.jpg

Edit: For those who can't zoom-enhance, this is Internet Explorer responding to the question "What does the (fire)fox say?"

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@boomzilla Perhaps misunderstanding. I was not saying that the feature has been removed from the latest Chrome; rather, that I'm not running the latest version to check. (It has a big, red "Update me, pretty please!!!11!1!" button, which I'll probably get around to clicking, eventually.)

Mine has a Christmas-red colouring!

f453531c-8a82-42aa-9a17-a9060d4d66bb-image.png

Unity Engine pisses me off sometimes.

I was investigating a memory leak that seemed to occur during downloading of images for display. After cutting out and verifying it wasn't any of my code, or really the code of the guys before me, I looked online.

Apparently, each time you create a new Texture2D, it permanently keeps it in memory until you Destroy() it.

So, somehow it is intentionally subverting every other place where implicit garbage collection just happens automatically for... some reason? Still can't grok it.

So now I'm trying to find out how to determine where these in-memory assets are being kept for the possibility of sleuthing them out for being unused in the scene.

This appears to be possible only in Editor. :facepalm:

Filed under: One moment, drafting a "Unity sucks because..." SO post...

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

drafting a "Unity sucks because..." SO post...

Closed. Not a question.

• WTF Bite of the day (other than all the job-related :wtf: I've had today)--

There's no way to move messages from one channel to another on Discord without copy/paste/delete (in the correct order). That sucks. What sucks even more is that it's been on the "requested features" list for 5 years, with people posting in support that whole time. And no "yeah, no" or even "acknowledged" response.

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

with people posting in support that whole time.

You think the devs read the community support forums? :rofl:

on Discord

Oh yeah, that reminds me of a stupidity I discovered today: On Discord Mobile, you can enable a little overlay bubble, which when tapped lets you do things like deafen, mute, and disconnect yourself (in addition to seeing the icon of whoever last sent audio packets).

This is great! Means I can see audio activity when in another app (for example, a game).

HOWEVER! If you've enabled push-to-talk mode (which means, for those who don't know radio parlance, that it does not transmit your audio unless you press a button), the overlay bubble has no way to activate it!

The intuitive option would be to make the bubble the PTT button, and if you just tap it (or drag it) it does not activate. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Thus, you cannot speak unless you're in the Discord app proper! :angry:

Oh my gawd what the frickin baloney blasted quivering whiney hard asses resplendently grabbing all rolling but lecherous endowments!

• WTF of my day: Just repaired my mouse (Logitech G903) because the right mouse button sometimes double-clicked or did not reliably react to a long press.

This entailed:

• Removing all Teflon pads because several screws were located under it
    • Use Torx for one(1!) screw even though all the others were Phillips screws
    • Punch through the cover at the bottom in two positions because two additional screws were hidden under the glue-on covering.
    • Use a spatula to hoist the battery pack from its position it is glued to because underneath it? Another screw. Which I had to use a drill for to widen the opening because my tools could not reach it.
    • Literally disassemble the mouse almost completely to get to the right mouse button.
    • Unsolder the trigger (since it has three solder contacts, that's always fun!)
    • Resolder the new trigger.
    • Get a bad solder. Use some copper wire to reroute the connection because resoldering the damn thing is not in the cards.
    • Reassemble the whole thing.

Works now. But, seriously, this is one prime example of: How do we make it as hard as possible while still maintaining repairability. For example, the screw behind the battery pack? Not needed at all.

• @Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

while still maintaining repairability

You're being generous. I'm not sure it was considered in the design -- it's probably not expensive enough to be worth repairing (for the manufacturer, that is).

WTF Bite of the day (other than all the job-related :wtf: I've had today)--

There's no way to move messages from one channel to another on Discord without copy/paste/delete (in the correct order). That sucks. What sucks even more is that it's been on the "requested features" list for 5 years, with people posting in support that whole time. And no "yeah, no" or even "acknowledged" response.

Do any chat applications let you do that?

• @loopback0 Is a forum a chat app?

@hungrier Paging :doing_it_wrong:

• @loopback0 Is a bug tracker a chat app?

• BINNED

Reading up a bit on something I may want to do next year, unless the resulting deployment nightmare turns out to be insurmountable: (bold mine, italics in original)

Embedding the Python interpreter in a Windows app can be summarized as follows:

1. Do not build Python into your .exe file directly. On Windows, Python must be a DLL to handle importing modules that are themselves DLL’s. (This is the first key undocumented fact.) Instead, link to pythonNN.dll; it is typically installed in C:\Windows\System. NN is the Python version, a number such as “33” for Python 3.3.

:eek:
    What century is this?

• BINNED

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

@loopback0 Is a bug tracker a chat app?

:doing_it_wrong: No, it's the other way around

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

while still maintaining repairability.

You think they built it to be repaired??? :rofl:

Filed under: right to repair thread is :arrows:

• @Tsaukpaetra If they did not want it to be repairable they could have simply used copious amounts of glue.

@Tsaukpaetra If they did not want it to be repairable they could have simply used copious amounts of glue.

Glue tends to not work as well with plastics...

• @Tsaukpaetra Tell that to all the manufacturers of glued together crap

@Tsaukpaetra If they did not want it to be repairable they could have simply used copious amounts of glue.

Glue tends to not work as well with plastics...

That very much depends on the plastic. ABS, for example, is very easily glued together whereas PETG is an anathema to glue.

while still maintaining repairability

:phb:: 🖕 you. Buy a new one.

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Oh yeah, that reminds me of a stupidity I discovered today:

I'm taking a risk and submitting a bug report. In their form:
    2c199d1d-b515-4eca-8a35-70362afc44d1-image.png
    "That's an awfully small textbox", you might think. Well fret not! It's not a textbox at all!

1c2a059e-3b43-4d95-a552-73c6a307de82-image.png

Yes, my bug can be described by the text true....

Yes, my bug can be described by the text true....

Are you sure it's not a FILE_NOT_FOUND bug?

• @Tsaukpaetra

its broken

Its broken what?

@Tsaukpaetra

its broken

Its broken what?

My dick, obviously.

@Tsaukpaetra

its broken

Its broken what?

MyIts dick, obviously.

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra

its broken

Its broken what?

MyIts dick, obviously.

Plausible. Maybe they moved the dick to the forehead and that upset people.

• BINNED

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@Tsaukpaetra

its broken

Its broken what?

MyIts dick, obviously.

Plausible. Maybe they moved the dick to the forehead and that upset people.

Evolution tends to upset people.
    Many are increasingly of the opinion we should’ve never come down the trees, with some saying even the trees had been a idea.
    It’s widely regarded as a bad move.

🐠

• @topspin … note that the 🐠 is very appropriately yellow.

screw

Yeah, properly screwed.

TIL that apt-get uses a pseudo-terminal to run its subordinate dpkg processes.

On one level, I know why: it's to make the dpkg program (that does the actual installation) think it is talking directly to a user. But why oh why would (the authors of) apt-get decide that it is necessary to trick dpkg into running in interactive mode in the normal case? What sort of bizarre monstrosity would result in that being needed? (A consequence of this is that the output of dpkg — and hence apt-get — is a lot more verbose than required.)

• UNIX wouldn't be UNIX without its Rube Goldberg mechanics.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

a lot more verbose than required

I prefer that to error messages like 0x80244010 🤷🏾♂