WTF Bites

• @Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

Microservices suck to work with IMX. And the more micro, the worse. I don't mind having several services for different things, but if it takes more than about 2 services to handle a request, yuck.

Microservices are a tool for decoupling things. Having one service back the UI and another for a background data pump or data transform makes sense, as does having a separate service for the admin interface, because then the normal one can have fewer permissions. But if splitting something will leave it tightly coupled, it generally shouldn't be split.

Also if something is tightly coupled, it almost certainly should be built from code in the same repository even if it produces a separate binary that runs separately. Exactly to avoid branch mismatch.

• @sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

Update: We actually don't have unhashed X, because it was moved to another column which the old code didn't handle. Oops.

Now hash the developer, using a machine in the butcher's workshop to generate the correct type of hash.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

There's your problem.Gif

Not my idea, unfortunately I lost the debate to such powerful arguments like 'This is how everyone does it in the current year' and 'It's easier to hire JS developers'. Now we have 37 services (not counting databases and kafka brokers) mostly written in typescript and maintained by ~4 developers. From what I understand, most of the time they're fighting with the toolchain or downloading new frameworks.

• @sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

This is how everyone does it in the current year

Not everyone. We don't. We stick to one service backing the API and one data pump for each external system.

@sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

It's easier to hire JS developers

Whether it's implemented in node.js is orthogonal to how it's split into separate services.

most of the time they're fighting with the toolchain or downloading new frameworks

That is, unfortunately, the reality of modern software development in all toolchains and frameworks, especially if you go ☁ where you have limited control over when the other components upgrade.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

It's easier to hire JS developers

Whether it's implemented in node.js is orthogonal to how it's split into separate services.

Yes, but when you hire JS duhvelopers, you get the micro-service architecture automagically. If you want something sanely engineered, you need to hire real developers who use serious languages, and then let them use JS as necessary. 🍹

• @izzion said in WTF Bites:

who use serious languages

such as PHP :tro-pop:

Filed under: Monolith Forever

• @ixvedeusi said in WTF Bites:

@izzion said in WTF Bites:

who use serious languages

such as PHP :tro-pop:

Filed under: Monolith Forever

You certainly can write microservices in PHP but why would you when you can embrace #monolithforever?

• @Arantor Indeed. The point I was aiming for is that the "real developers" part is more relevant than the "serious languages" part.

@Arantor Indeed. The point I aiming for is that the "real developers" part is more relevant than the "serious languages" part.

PHP developers aren’t real developers. We’re play-acting at it, and we know we are. But unlike the JS kiddies, we act well enough to actually ship things.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

That is, unfortunately, the reality of modern software development in all toolchains and frameworks, especially if you go where you have limited control over when the other components upgrade.

It's all self-hosted. Including a kafka broker. And I'd say the self-hosting part kind of works and certainly saves money. The toolchains and frameworks on the other hand are a self-inflicted wound and yes, it has to do with using JS. The amount of instability in that ecosystem combined with lack of 'boring' frameworks or established ways to do things is what creates 10x more work.
    One app in this system is written in Java (Kafka Streams) and it doesn't have these problems. Now, I'm no fan of Java (although 8+ is at least bearable), but the Streams library not only is backwards compatible (I upgraded a major version and didn't have to change a single line, imagine that), it also provides a mock producer/consumer which makes testing trivial. Nothing of remotely similar quality exists in the Node ecosystem - it all feels like a sprawling shanty town of little shacks made of plywood and corrugated steel held together by duct tape.

• Hifi - no that's not a misspelled WiFi - can have its :wtf:s, too. There was almost no sound from the :left-wing: left speaker - virtually all sound came from the :right-wing: right speaker only. After hours days of trouble shooting, like rebooting the turntable, rebooting the sound card, the amplifier, the speakers, changing cables, ... it turned out that the issue was in the amplifier. Somewhere between left input and left output, there was some BernieTheBernie hiding.
    This morning I decided to open the amplifier and spray a couple of WD-40 cans into several parts of it. Pressed all buttons, turned all knobs, repeated several times, and let the thing rest open in a room with open windows for 10 hours (WD-40 stinks - I don't want that in my living room).
    Now the sound is great again.
    🎼 🎶 🎷 🎺 🎸 🎻 🎵

• Java Dev

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

Hifi - no that's not a misspelled WiFi - can have its s, too.

And here I was expecting a gold-plated cable story.

• Java Dev

@PleegWat said in WTF Bites:

And here I was expecting a gold-plated cable story.

I know a good one, but it's in swedish so a bit pointless to share.

• @PleegWat Gold? Cheapy! Asteroid dust it must be!

• @BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

There was almost no sound from the :left-wing: left speaker - virtually all sound came from the :right-wing: right speaker only.

Did you install your sound equipment in the :trolley-garage:?

• BINNED

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

There was almost no sound from the :left-wing: left speaker - virtually all sound came from the :right-wing: right speaker only.

Did you install your sound equipment in the :trolley-garage:?

The echo chamber provides unparalleled reverb 🚎 🔥

• This week I learned (through the new pgAdmin) that someone liked the idea of Electron so much they made another.

(that said, switching to an Electron-like system is still a huge improvement for the "desktop" version of pgAdmin, which badly needed it)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Long-lived feature branches are one of the worst ideas ever. Just f... merge it asap, stop developing 3 things in parallel for a month and then try to deploy half of it.

They're expensive unless you're very disciplined. A previous project had some that I maintained because a critical downstream deployment (we were contractually obliged to support them) wasn't being upgraded to a newer base runtime. It took nearly a year for that situation to be resolved.

If you are going to have long-lived feature branches, you need to keep them strictly single topic, with just the changeset relevant to the feature, and you need to have a schedule for when to apply merges from the primary branch. It can be worth seeing if there are side aspects of the feature branch that can be split out into their own feature branch that can go in earlier; you might get a slightly messy merge, but it is at a time you control when you've got how to resolve things already in your mind, and the result is a smaller hanging changeset.

• @Medinoc I thought nw.js was using system-provided webview library instead of lugging Chromium around like Electron, but now I see it is not the case and it does lug Chromium around.

There is yet another, newer, such tool that does use system-provided webview, https://tauri.app/.

• Have I mentioned how much I enjoy changing hardware? Well, when I checked if the SSD would fit into my big machine, I saw that there were 2 empty slots for memory. I took one of the existing memory bars out, took a photo, and then checked how much 2 more such thingies ("corsair cmv4gx3m1a1333c9") would cost. Prizes seemed reasonable, and I purchased used memory from ebay.
    Now I installed it in the free slots, switched the machine on. Tried to connect via RDP as usual. But it did not even ping.
    So I moved the big machine from the storage cabinet into the living room, and connected it to the monitor. Black screen.
    :wtf: ?
    Removed the fresh memory and booted again. OK.
    Removed the old memory, and put the new memory in there: Black screen. :wtf:
    Removed the new memory, installed the old memory again, the machine works. At least nothing was destroyed by that action...
    The motherboard is said to accept upto 16 GB RAM:

And now?
    Some odd incompatibility with the "new" memory, which has a "valueline" sticker on one side, while my old memory hasn't?

• @Medinoc said in WTF Bites:

This week I learned (through the new pgAdmin) that someone liked the idea of Electron so much they made another.

(that said, switching to an Electron-like system is still a huge improvement for the "desktop" version of pgAdmin, which badly needed it)

nw.js predates Electron, though it was originally called node-webkit.

• @Arantor said in WTF Bites:

nw.js predates Electron

That... doesn't make it any better.

• @Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

@Arantor said in WTF Bites:

nw.js predates Electron

That... doesn't make it any better.

No, but it was kinda knowingly experimental and actually back then it wasn’t the sluggish bloated monstrosity it came to be.

I remember seeing stuff done in it in 2013 or so where it was in active production use and you kinda didn’t know that’s what it was because it didn’t eat all your RAM like a fat kid on cake.

I think Game Dev Tycoon still uses that old a build actually.

• Considered Harmful

Some odd incompatibility with the "new" memory, which has a "valueline" sticker on one side, while my old memory hasn't?

ISTR "valueline" means something like "this is cheap shit that that barely passed our extremely lenient QA and may or may not work for you".

• And some motherboards are known to be picky about RAM modules, and not work with certain brands/models.

• @BernieTheBernie RAM is one of those things where while the sticks may be perfectly fine, the motherboard DO NOT LIKE. I recently bought 64 gig of RAM for my computer that my motherboard didn't like one bit. I just sighed and put it in the pile of computer parts in the closet, and later bought a new bunch of 64g RAM.
    I sent all of the shit that's been piling up in the closet to my brother so he could build a computer out of it, and for him the memory worked perfectly fine. His motherboard shares a lot of components with mine, but I guess the memory controller is different, or something. Same CPU as me as well since he managed to break the CPU I sent him.

• 🚽 Regular

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

my motherboard didn't like one bit

Was it a zero or a one?

I guess the memory controller is different

I think it's down to the tolerances on the memory controller versus the tolerances on the memory itself. When those line up in the same part of the officially permitted range, everything is happy, and when they're at opposite ends of the range then you get much sadness. What's particularly bad is that I'm pretty sure the tolerances are temperature dependent, so things are more likely to go wrong under load (or... well, when things are the other way round it's far harder to spot).

• @Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

And some motherboards are known to be picky about RAM modules, and not work with certain brands/models.

But both are the same brand: "corsair cmv4gx3m1a1333c9". Only difference is the "ValueLine" sticker on the freshly bought modules.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

I guess the memory controller is different

I think it's down to the tolerances on the memory controller versus the tolerances on the memory itself. When those line up in the same part of the officially permitted range, everything is happy, and when they're at opposite ends of the range then you get much sadness. What's particularly bad is that I'm pretty sure the tolerances are temperature dependent, so things are more likely to go wrong under load (or... well, when things are the other way round it's far harder to spot).

Eh, he also got my old VR headset so he's pushing them bits to go fast and hard. Though, the GPU was an old 1080 Ti so that's the bottle neck of the system. And my brother felt that plunking down the money for a GPU that is significantly better wasn't worth it.

• @BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

Only difference is the "ValueLine" sticker

Well, you also said that it was

used memory from ebay

With that premise you'll only get a :surprised-pikachu: from me.

And some motherboards are known to be picky about RAM modules, and not work with certain brands/models.

But both are the same brand: "corsair cmv4gx3m1a1333c9". Only difference is the "ValueLine" sticker on the freshly bought modules.

Which might mean the ValueLine modules are single rank instead of dual rank. Meaning the actual physical chips on the stick are twice as large, to have the same amount of memory in half the space & chips. Which would put them over the capacity of the motherboard, if the board's maximum was 16GB per RAM slot and that's based on 16GB dual rank.

Edit: Though, looking at Corsair's site in more detail and the mb specs, it looks like the MB should support 4GB per slot sticks and the SKU in question is a Value Select brand board, so I'm going to go with "used memory off of eBay" as the source of the problem and you didn't get what you thought you were paying for. It looks like the real module should look something like 6eaf79cc-edab-4985-9edc-9c3570d49420-image.png or https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-CMV4GX3M1A1333C9-Corsair-Desktop-Memory/dp/B003XFT3XE?th=1

Also, used memory off of ebay for something that retails at $25/u new? How crazy are you? :mlp_eww: :mlp_wut:

• WTF Bite: Why TF does it take almost 50 seconds for my PC to power off? WTF is it doing during all this time?

This is the time from clicking "shut down" to the moment the power LED and fans turn off. The screen turns off after about 10 seconds already.

@ixvedeusi said in WTF Bites:

WTF Bite: Why TF does it take almost 50 seconds for my PC to power off? WTF is it doing during all this time?

This is the time from clicking "shut down" to the moment the power LED and fans turn off. The screen turns off after about 10 seconds already.

The telemetry has to finish uploading 🍹 :tro-pop-wave:

WTF Bite: Why TF does it take almost 50 seconds for my PC to power off? WTF is it doing during all this time?

The telemetry has to finish uploading 🍹 :tro-pop-wave:

You joke but that’s probably the truth.

(I’m not going to get into “writing the hibernate/page file shenanigans” because soft power off)

• @izzion In this particular case I'm more inclined to blame HP than MS. I would expect MS to at least have the honesty to continue showing the "shutting down" animation while doing that upload.

@izzion In this particular case I'm more inclined to blame HP than MS. I would expect MS to at least have the honesty to continue showing the "shutting down" animation while doing that upload.

Obligatory :laugh-harder: in spite of your inb4

so I'm going to go with "used memory off of eBay" as the source of the problem

Yeah, I'd say that's the problem too.

• @ixvedeusi Hibernating to prepare for "fast" startup. Which involves writing the entire contents of memory to disk if Windows can't prove it's not being used.

• @TwelveBaud said in WTF Bites:

@ixvedeusi Hibernating to prepare for "fast" startup. Which involves writing the entire contents of memory to disk if Windows can't prove it's not being used.

:faxbarrierjoker: (though I did speculate this earlier)

• @TwelveBaud said in WTF Bites:

Hibernating to prepare for "fast" startup.

I have "fast" startup disabled. The most common reason why I'd shut down (apart from going home in the evening; yes I'm one of those people) is that I need to add / remove / change hardware, where "fast" startup is not only even more useless than usual, but actually counterproductive.

That said, startup is a WTF on its own. In this most common case where I've changed HW, the timeline is roughly something like this:

0m00s - I push the power button, fans and power LED turn on.
    0m45s - The PC detects the HW change, shuts down and turns on again.
    1m30s - The screen turns on, showing the EFI boot picture
    2m00s - The Windows startup spinner appears
    2m10s - The logon screen appears

So yeah, given that second step in this sequence, maybe Windows just decided to decline my request to turn off fast startup. OTOH, all the shenanigans happens before any WIndows screen is shown so I was thinking that this is all done by the EFI firmware.

so I'm going to go with "used memory off of eBay" as the source of the problem and you didn't get what you thought you were paying for.

Yes.

"used memory off of eBay" is almost never a good idea.

@Gern_Blaanston said in WTF Bites:

so I'm going to go with "used memory off of eBay" as the source of the problem and you didn't get what you thought you were paying for.

Yes.

Don't worry, it was only underwater for a few hours after the hurricane knocked out power in the entire region.

@Gern_Blaanston said in WTF Bites:

Yes.

Don't worry, it was only underwater for a few hours after the hurricane knocked out power in the entire region.

Filed Under: "used memory almost anything off of eBay" is almost never a good idea.

• Is anything off eBay a good idea?

• @Arantor I’ve purchased exactly one thing off eBay in my life, and yes, I think it was a good idea. However, I do realise this experience may not be completely typical.

@Arantor said in WTF Bites:

Is anything off eBay a good idea?

There is stuff that's probably a bad idea to buy from eBay but IME it's fine. Their buyer protection is really good in the unlikely event something isn't right.

should look something like

Yes, that's how the original items look like.
    Btw, those 25 USD per piece are US price, here it is more than 30€. And I took a pair at 20€.
    Btw, I had hardly any problems with second hand products on ebay.

• Notification Spam Recipient

So yeah, given that second step in this sequence, maybe Windows just decided to decline my request to turn off fast startup. OTOH, all the shenanigans happens before any WIndows screen is shown so I was thinking that this is all done by the EFI firmware.

Most likely the latter, probably due to their implementation of Secure Boot.

That being said, WTF, are you using a Server/Workstation motherboard? Holy shit, even my crap doesn't take two minutes on cold boot to even start loading the OS bootloader!