WTF Bites

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

Yeah, the DC Metro will get up to somewhere around 70mph when above ground and a few miles between stations (again, speed checked vs car). If those chuckleheads can manage it I'm sure you guys can.

My local commuter trains will hit 85mph when they have a suitable stretch (there is a station in the middle of it, but only some trains stop at it). I wouldn't describe those as high-speed trains! Moderate-speed sardine cans would be closer...

Yeah. The biggest factor is having a straight enough path.

• @boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

again, speed checked vs car

📱 ? Those things nowadays often come with GPS. And you might be able to use it inside a train (well, not below ground).
    With the Garmin device (not a phone) mounted on the stirring bar of my bicycle, and riding the train home from some far away place, I can nowadays simply look at the speed shown on the GPS (and btw I have no wrist watch any more). Or later, when analyzing the GPS trace on my computer.
    100 km/h are pretty common here for local trains, 160 km/h are rather rare.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

If you go Paris - Frankfurt, either with TGV or ICE the first part is at roughly 10% lightspeed, then slows to a literal crawl at the German border for the next 100km.

For some time, on that same route it would start the crawl about 100 km before the border, since the high-speed line was first built between Paris and Nancy/Metz (*), and only then later extended to Strasbourg.

(*) those ones are :fun:: two cities of roughly similar importance, about 50 km from each other (along a N-S line so same distance from e.g. Paris which is basically due West from both), and who are perpetually fightingbickeringwhining. So there is one regional airport in between them (so too far from either to be convenient), and now also one TGV station in about the same place, so also too far from either to be convenient (and also not far, but not exactly at the same place as the airport, for maximum inconvenience!). The same split happens for many other things.

There are hysterical :raisins: for that (see: 1870, 🇩🇪, Alsace-Lorraine) but that doesn't make it any less stupid nowadays.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

The biggest factor is having a straight enough path.

Straight enough, without at-grade crossings or places you have to stop, and a signalling system capable of supporting such speeds. Simple signals can't do it.

And not too many freight operations on the same line. Although high-speed and freight operation both need a strong railbed, they don't mix well in ever so many other ways. (You can have them parallel within the same right-of-way, of course.)

• @dkf high-speed also requires special care for all equipment, such as overhead wires.

I remember someone who worked on that explaining that because the, uh, what's it called, "pantograph" apparently (yes spell checker, it's a valid word, shut up) pushes against the wires (to get a good contact), this means the movement of it creates a wave along the wire, between the points where the wire is fixed to poles. The way these waves move and interact depend on a lot of things, but obviously on the speed of the train as well, so regular overhead wires might not be suitable for high-speed trains.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

Although high-speed and freight operation both need a strong railbed, they don't mix well in ever so many other ways

Frankfurt-Cologne was built for high-speed trains only, >300 km/h (>200mph). Some ascents / descents are too steep for goods trains.

• @remi said in WTF Bites:

The way these waves move and interact depend on a lot of things, but obviously on the speed of the train as well, so regular overhead wires might not be suitable for high-speed trains.

Yes:

(sorry, no equivalent English WP article seems to exist. Basically, you don't want the mechanical wave to propagate slower than the speed of the train, otherwise you get the same kind of effects that planes encounter when moving faster than Mach 1. So high-speed trains require wires to have more tension, to raise the propagation speed.)

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare dunno, that high tech had only one degree of motherboardification. Increase.

• @Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

no equivalent English WP article seems to exist.

We don't have any trains fast enough that we need the info.

• ♿ (Parody)

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

again, speed checked vs car

📱 ? Those things nowadays often come with GPS. And you might be able to use it inside a train (well, not below ground).

Seems like that would require me *shudder* to board the train.

• BINNED

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

when moving faster than Mach 1

A Mach 1 train sounds fun, until I realized I'm in direct line-of-sight to that route to Paris mentioned above.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

A Mach 1 train sounds fun, until I realized I'm in direct line-of-sight to that route to Paris mentioned above.

No problem, just run the train through an evacuated tube. 🚎

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

No problem, just run the train through an evacuated tube. 🚎

Then replace the train by an expensive car with low capacity. 🚗🚅

• In the morning a colleague went to test some API call to a 3rd party service and it failed (with a generic 400 with no useful message, of course), because the JSON with parameters serialized wrong. Because he used the [DataContract] attribute to specify the name, but the JsonContent (that comes with the standard library http client) uses a System.Text.Json.JsonSerializer and that does not understand those attributes, only its custom ones.

But .нет has had a Json serializer that does use those attributes since the beginning, the DataContractJsonSerializer. So why on null did they have to introduce another JSON serializer (the System.Text.Json one) in .нет core 3.0? That has half the features of the existing one and uses different attributes? Could someone on the Microsoft .нет team make the mistake of getting Skelde's green smoke #3, which is very queer?

• @boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

Yeah, the DC Metro will get up to somewhere around 70mph when above ground and a few miles between stations (again, speed checked vs car). If those chuckleheads can manage it I'm sure you guys can.

* cries in VRE over Norfolk Southern *

• 🚽 Regular

@Bulb The whole point of .нет Core is to be a complete rewrite of everything :half-trolling:

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

You speak only for leftpondians.

• @Bulb JsonSerializer uses new features of .нет not available to the legacy Framework, which give it far better memory usage and performance characteristics. It should have an option to use the Data Contracts stuff, and I don't know why it doesn't, but they can't update the DataContractJsonSerializer because then it won't run on the .нет Framework, and they don't want people to use it for regular serialization tasks because it's slow and leaky.

• @TwelveBaud Performance and memory usage should depend on implementation details they should be able change without changing the interface. And then extending it with new functions that would only be present on the newer runtimes wouldn't break compatibility either. So … what features that it can't be updated in a backward compatible manner?

• Java Dev

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

without at-grade crossings

The number of accidents at unprotected at-grade crossings in NL increased significantly when they started using new trains which ran at 140 km/h instead of 80 km/h on the same stretch.

@remi said in WTF Bites:

pantograph

Originally a device used to trace and copy writing or images. They are somewhat similar in appearance.

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

Skelde's green smoke #3, which is very queer?

Skald Green #3 doesn't queer up serialization - people who can't handle Skald Green #3 queer up serialization.

• Considered Harmful

@PleegWat also compatible, at free end, with boxing gloves or grabby-hands attachments.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

Yes, yes I do. 'Murica, YEAH!

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Client has Dell Precision 5560 laptops and Samsung Smart TVs and when the laptops attempt to connect to the TVs as a wireless display via Miracast the TVs disconnect from the wireless network.

How the fucking fuck is this even possible? How can a laptop connecting to them as a wireless display cause the wireless to drop?

Yes, I know, Smart TVs are fucking retarded but this is well past even pants-on-head levels of retardation.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

Yes, yes I do. 'Murica, YEAH!

You forgot your 🦅

• Considered Harmful

@Polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

Client has Dell Precision 5560 laptops and Samsung Smart TVs and when the laptops attempt to connect to the TVs as a wireless display via Miracast the TVs disconnect from the wireless network.

How the fucking fuck is this even possible? How can a laptop connecting to them as a wireless display cause the wireless to drop?

Yes, I know, Smart TVs are fucking retarded but this is well past even pants-on-head levels of retardation.

My guess is the laptop is trying to reach them with an ad-hoc network? And sends a kick vs the real network? That takes it just down into pants-on-head i.e. average levels.

@Gribnit said in WTF Bites:

My guess is the laptop is trying to reach them with an ad-hoc network? And sends a kick vs the real network?

I don't know the details of how Miracast works, but it is my understanding that it requires them to both be on the same wireless network (obviously) and it also requires Bluetooth, so I would expect any ad-hoc communication to be done via Bluetooth.

But that assumes sanity and that is probably a foolish assumption.

• Considered Harmful

Indeed, this is why I don't even allow for being able to do that. Sanity is a delusion.

• Java Dev

Samsung Smart TVs

:theres-your-problem.brush:

• @Polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

My guess is the laptop is trying to reach them with an ad-hoc network? And sends a kick vs the real network?

I don't know the details of how Miracast works, but it is my understanding that it requires them to both be on the same wireless network (obviously) and it also requires Bluetooth, so I would expect any ad-hoc communication to be done via Bluetooth.

No, Miracast is actually a direct connection unlike ApplePlay and does not need someone to be in the same network. It runs solely over WiFi, Bluetooth is not involved. And I dare say that it's Samsung's fault because our displays at school which also are Miracast-capable are still connected to our WLAN while running Miracast connections.

• Considered Harmful

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Miracast is actually a direct connection

So yay. The pants are on the head. The kicks, they're in your base, killing your dudez. That TV kid may have even pumped them up, even.

(further, contradictory, information)

Maybe Enlightenment involves accepting that there is only one network.

• @Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

I dare say that it's Samsung's fault

:surprised-pikachu:

• @Gribnit said in WTF Bites:

So yay. The pants are on the head. The kicks, they're in your base, killing your dudez.

Actually I don't think it's retarded. If they used the normal mode, the AP would have to repeat every frame and thus use twice as much of the limited radio space.

It does open much more opportunity for getting the wi-fi chip or its driver wrong, of course.

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

So yay. The pants are on the head. The kicks, they're in your base, killing your dudez.

Actually I don't think it's retarded. If they used the normal mode, the AP would have to repeat every frame and thus use twice as much of the limited radio space.

It does open much more opportunity for getting the wi-fi chip or its driver wrong, of course.

It's based on Wi-Fi Direct and, as always, if you half-ass the implementation you get stuff like what @Polygeekery described.

• @Rhywden So it's Samsung's fault. Everything is Samsung's fault anyway.

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

In the morning a colleague went to test some API call to a 3rd party service and it failed (with a generic 400 with no useful message, of course), because the JSON with parameters serialized wrong. Because he used the [DataContract] attribute to specify the name, but the JsonContent (that comes with the standard library http client) uses a System.Text.Json.JsonSerializer and that does not understand those attributes, only its custom ones.

But .нет has had a Json serializer that does use those attributes since the beginning, the DataContractJsonSerializer. So why on null did they have to introduce another JSON serializer (the System.Text.Json one) in .нет core 3.0? That has half the features of the existing one and uses different attributes? Could someone on the Microsoft .нет team make the mistake of getting Skelde's green smoke #3, which is very queer?

Let me guess: it's System.Text, so it has full support for proper text localization features like right-to-left script, ligatures and french quotation marks.

Edit: or they just needed to reimplement it (reflection stuff? makes sense) and got bored halfway through.

I like my version better.

As a joke, that is.

I don't actually want to handle RTL JSON.

• @Bulb They saved a buck or two using cheap WiFi chips that can't simultaneously run client and AP mode.

Or that's just Tizen for you.

Both equally likely.

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

80 sounds about right if you want to have stops every couple of kilometers like they do with this one. It stopped in FRA airport and Frankfurt Süd which must be like 20k apart.

20 km is plenty of distance to accelerate to 160 or 200 km/h.

Still bloody inefficient even with regenerative braking. But I just checked, it's more like 11 km between the two. Probably on the same rails as the metro, too.

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

Yes, yes I do. 'Murica, FUCK YEAH!

Fixed.

• @Polygeekery said in WTF Bites:

You are talking about Samsung software there...

• Considered Harmful

This post is deleted!

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Probably on the same rails as the metro, too.

That would be the bigger part of the problem. They are probably not high-speed rails and there is a “fast train” just ahead and another just behind so they have no choice but go the same speed.

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Probably on the same rails as the metro, too.

That would be the bigger part of the problem. They are probably not high-speed rails and there is a “fast train” just ahead and another just behind so they have no choice but go the same speed.

"Schnellbahn" or "Stadtbahn", supposedly the etymology is unclear. Most places where I've used something called a metro it was more like an S-Bahn, mostly above ground. At least in Munich I'm quite sure they're totally interchangeable though; you'd sometimes get announcements like "Un terminates here and continues as Sm towards $wherever".
    What would you call an S-Bahn in English? I know it's technically "light rail" but I haven' heard that in regular use.

• @LaoC The main difference, from what I can glean, is that the S-Bahn covers larger distances beyond the city limits while the U-Bahn usually stays within city limits.

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Most places where I've used something called a metro it was more like an S-Bahn, mostly above ground.

Metro is a very ambiguous term indeed. Different places use that term for different things.

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

What would you call an S-Bahn in English? I know it's technically "light rail" but I haven' heard that in regular use.

That also depends. In many places S-Bahn is just regular regional trains, so those would be simply suburban railway. Also TIL London now has Overground in addition to Underground, which thus correspond to the S-Bahn and U-Bahn terms (while the “Dockland Light Railway” is a slightly different thing still).

• @Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC The main difference, from what I can glean, is that the S-Bahn covers larger distances beyond the city limits while the U-Bahn usually stays within city limits.

That pretty much matches my recollection of the U-Bahn and S-Bahn in Berlin, although my recollection is 30 years old, and both memories and the things those memories reference change in that length of time. We also took the train in München, but only one round trip between our Hotel and die Innenstadt, and I don't remember much about it. I think it seemed at the time like a fairly long trip, so probably S-Bahn, but 🤷♂.

• Considered Harmful

Something is seriously up with German trains. They may be on time, but look what they did to the pace of this thread. I think they're stealing it. Time, that is.

To make not boring, s/Bahn/Box/g and pretend you're reading about cryptosystems.

• Considered Harmful

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

What would you call an S-Bahn in English?

Monorail. Monorail. Monorail. Monorail.

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

It's based on Wi-Fi Direct and, as always, if you half-ass the implementation you get stuff like what @Polygeekery described.

I forgot one detail. Only the Precision laptops have the issue. Other laptops work fine. But as soon as the Precision laptops connect they immediately disconnect and the TV shits itself for a minute or so.

So if I get what you're saying, when a Windows computer connects to a Miracast display the computer would then be connected to the Miracast display and potentially a wireless network at the same time? Also, how would a wired machine be able to connect to a Miracast display?

• Considered Harmful

@Polygeekery are they running Dell's WiFi tray-icon "value add"?