WTF Bites

• @Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Hypatia... useful

Not really necessary when you have no users. :trollface:

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

it also locks out incoming calls until you unlock screen once.

:wtf_owl:

• BINNED

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

unlock screen once.

more likely it needed the SIM to be unlocked

• Notification Spam Recipient

Anyone knows if all Android 10 phones are like that or it's just mine?

Testing. Please wait.

So, apparently the ringer defaults to a system ROM provided one since the internal storage is not unlocked, and the actual "Hey someone's calling you" screen does not actually appear? It is also impossible to answer except maybe if I had connected Bluetooth. 🍾

That's.... fucking amazing.

• Banned

@Luhmann said in WTF Bites:

unlock screen once.

I don't have SIM PIN. And it asks for the phone passcode anyway. I'm not an idiot, okay?

@Tsaukpaetra said in WTF Bites:

Testing. Please wait.

So, apparently the ringer defaults to a system ROM provided one since the internal storage is not unlocked, and the actual "Hey someone's calling you" screen does not actually appear? It is also impossible to answer except maybe if I had connected Bluetooth. 🍾

Is anyone surprised yours is even more broken?

• BINNED

I'm not an idiot, okay?

:doubt:

• BINNED

I'm not an idiot, okay?

After all, he’s posting on WTDWTF. 🍹

• @sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

Managers dream of not needing programmers, but the way computers work requires people who can think precisely and in ways that handle edge cases, so programmers continue to be vital.

That's the fallacy that gave us COBOL and SQL (syntax, not relational algebra). I heard SQL was designed as a language "anyone can use". I sometimes wonder what's going on in the head of people making such claims. Do they really believe that the syntax with braces and semicolons is the biggest barrier to entry? Did they never meet a non-programming programmer?

:um-actually: I know two managers who use SQL to get data they needed. One is a Product Manager, the other one is a Project/Product Manager that eventually went up all the way to C-level.

But then again, it's a company where "Head of Software Development" spends significant time configuring Jira so it's not just an obnoxious time waste for the developers, etc.

• Banned

@Kamil-Podlesak I know many managers with engineering background. I also know some without. I'd never let the latter anywhere near anything queryable.

• Considered Harmful

@Kamil-Podlesak I know many managers with engineering background. I also know some without. I'd never let the latter anywhere near anything queryable.

Also exclude the former. Background writes way shittier queries than immersed, and they write them how they did when last they were immersed.

• :belt_onion:

unlock screen once.

I don't have SIM PIN. And it asks for the phone passcode anyway. I'm not an idiot, okay?

Testing. Please wait.

SECURITY

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

unlock screen once.

Testing. Please wait.

SECURITY

Can't get those 2fa texts if you can't get the texts!

• Considered Harmful

unlock screen once.

Testing. Please wait.

SECURITY

Well I can't. Maybe you still could.

• @Carnage said in WTF Bites:

I think abstraction layers must be in the visual approach so you can zoom in and out as your need require.

In university, one of the courses used Rational Rose RealTime. It was a broken pile of dogshit, but it did have state diagrams with sub-states that could have their own state diagrams nested inside. I don't recall if there was a limit to how nested you could go, but it did make using that tool a bit more tolerable

@Carnage said in WTF Bites:

It might be interesting to have the visual interface be VR.

I've off-and-on pondered how to implement that for Hypatia. Problem is, not sure how to make it useful in the context of physical space...

Something like Minecraft redstone logic? But with blackjack, and hookersLua scripting?

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

After every reboot, it locks out fingerprint sensor and requires you to use PIN. TIL it also locks out incoming calls until you unlock screen once.

I didn't know about the phone calls, but my tablet does the same thing. To unlock it when turning it on, you have to input your "backup password" before the fingerprint unlock works. If you forget your backup password, you can reset it, which involves scanning your fingerprint

• Considered Harmful

@hungrier said in WTF Bites:

I've off-and-on pondered how to implement that for Hypatia. Problem is, not sure how to make it useful in the context of physical space...

Something like Minecraft redstone logic? But with blackjack, and hookersLua scripting?

Too much imperative power, makes it hard to optimize at scale.

Prolog scripting.

@Gribnit said in WTF Bites:

unlock screen once.

Testing. Please wait.

SECURITY

Well I can't. Maybe you still could.

Damn right, all I need to do is sign in with this 2FA-enabled account and... wait....

Maybe, but the voxel item is nowhere near ready for prime-time. Rather, it would simply expose all the available interactable objects and some functions on them. From there the ❓s just get bigger.

• Considered Harmful

Maybe, but the voxel item is nowhere near ready for prime-time. Rather, it would simply expose all the available interactable objects and some functions on them. From there the ❓s just get bigger.

Just publish the binary interface. Or do you want to force a choice of scripting engine on the users?

• @Gribnit said in WTF Bites:

Just publish the binary interface. Or do you want to force a choice of scripting engine on the users?

WASM is the answer.

(Sorry, what was the question?)

the binary interface.

Is already well-documented as it's just UE4 networking. And, all of the network validation functions are basically return true; so anyone could just splat a valid UDP packet at the server and it would very likely Just Work.

it would very likely Just Work.

• Considered Harmful

:fu: Adobe Experience Manager

4dd1e7d0-c81a-468d-9e5e-59d32a1003d4-image.png

Contrary to appearances, the progress bar here is a looping animation. It's been running for over an hour now and I don't know it's done, or it errored, or if it's stuck, or if it'll be done in 10 seconds, or 5 hours, or 6 days. I don't know what happens if I close the tab or navigate away.

I very much care about the answer to these questions right now, but it's just a Sisyphean loop of the progress bar filling up only to empty itself again. Over and over. Mocking me. Forever.

• Banned

@error reminds me of that one time I had Flash installer progress bar break the 100% barrier and go to 200%, 500%, 10,000%, 5,000,000%, literally 2,147,483,647%, then loop back to - 2,147,483,648%, then go up to -1,000,000,000%, -200,000,000%, -50,000,000%, -2,000,000%, -600,000%, -2,000%, eventually crossing 0% and reaching 100% at which point it finished successfully.

I wish I was recording it. I've had a screenshot but lost it somewhere.

• Considered Harmful

@error said in WTF Bites:

Contrary to appearances, the progress bar here is a looping animation. It's been running for over an hour now and I don't know it's done, or it errored, or if it's stuck, or if it'll be done in 10 seconds, or 5 hours, or 6 days. I don't know what happens if I close the tab or navigate away.

I very much care about the answer to these questions right now, but it's just a Sisyphean loop of the progress bar filling up only to empty itself again. Over and over. Mocking me. Forever.

If you use one of the other package install interfaces, if for instance the CRX package interface is still exposed somewhere, you can find out why it broke. It probably broke awhile ago. It will never tell you.

It's a good idea to expect AEM to hate you unless you either work for Adobe or have paid them sufficient training money to receive the decoder rings for all the backwards-ass UI notions.

• 🚽 Regular

After every reboot, it locks out fingerprint sensor and requires you to use PIN. TIL it also locks out incoming calls until you unlock screen once.

I didn't know about the phone calls, but my tablet does the same thing. To unlock it when turning it on, you have to input your "backup password" before the fingerprint unlock works. If you forget your backup password, you can reset it, which involves scanning your fingerprint

I've long forgotten the pattern to unlock my phone. I unlock it with the fingerprint reader. I've tried to change to a new pattern before, but it asks for the previous pattern and won't unlock with the fingerprint. I haven't tried resetting the phone because :kneeling_warthog:.

I should backup my finger.

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

but it asks for the previous pattern

Fun fact: you can lock yourself out on that screen, even though you're unlocked.

• Considered Harmful

@sebastian-galczynski said in WTF Bites:

I sometimes wonder what's going on in the head of people making such claims. Do they really believe that the syntax with braces and semicolons is the biggest barrier to entry?

1. Programming is simple to me.
    2. I put hundreds of hours into learning syntax of various languages before I could program efficiently.
    3. I don't think I'm smarter than an average human.

Ergo

• If we got rid of syntax, then everyone would find programming easy.

''**?Waaaddeeeefghilmnnnoorstttuvwxy

• Banned

@LaoC it means getting rid of textual form of creating programs, i.e. moving to visual programming.

• Considered Harmful

I don't understand why anyone would expect anything else from a thing called

Adobe Experience Manager

Each of its constituent words alone is enough to make me retch, either because of itself ("Adobe") or because of the abuse it has seen at the hands of →managers (the other two). Their combination can hardly be anything less than a lovecraftian horror.

• @Bulb said in WTF Bites:

But at the moment you add variables, conditions and loops you

... are about to enjoy the Inner Platform Effect (TM).

• @BernieTheBernie The worst part is that it means you've just expended a lot of effort that didn't get you significantly closer to your actual goal, because nothing of the problem-specific logic is implemented yet.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Rational Rose

:triggered:

It was a broken pile of dogshit

QFFT!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

I've long forgotten the pattern to unlock my phone. I unlock it with the fingerprint reader. I've tried to change to a new pattern before, but it asks for the previous pattern and won't unlock with the fingerprint. I haven't tried resetting the phone because :kneeling_warthog:.

My phone asks for a non-biometric unlock about once a week, and that's probably so that users don't forget what that is.

• 🚽 Regular

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

I should backup my finger.

The worse part of this situation is that I can't re-register fingerprints because that too asks for the pattern.

Oh, and a while ago I tried to reset the pattern remotely using Find My Device on the google account. But guess what happened?

Good thing I'm not attached to this phone. But one of these days I should really get off my :kneeling_warthog: and do a factory reset (assuming it won't ask me for the unlock pattern).

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

My phone asks for a non-biometric unlock about once a week, and that's probably so that users don't forget what that is.

I went with a PIN instead of a pattern. Easier to record in my password manager.

• Considered Harmful

@boomzilla said in WTF Bites:

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

I went with a PIN instead of a pattern. Easier to record in my password manager.

There are no PINs that are harder to enter than other PINs.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

Shorter PINs are easier to enter than longer PINs.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

1. Poor choice.

• Considered Harmful

Update: I woke up to find the progress dialog gone, and yet no package had been uploaded as far as I could tell.

• I'm afraid you may be suffering from the electronic equivalent of @HardwareGeek's Delivery Distortion Field.

• Considered Harmful

Update: I woke up to find the progress dialog gone, and yet no package had been uploaded as far as I could tell.

Probly some unrelated shitty fix for something else forced a page refresh.

OSGi DS is your only friend now.

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

I'm afraid you may be suffering from the electronic equivalent of @HardwareGeek's Delivery Distortion Field.

No man. He's crossed the dread gates and wanders now a hell I have wandered in a prior age.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

1. Poor choice.

We'd expect no less from you.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

1. Poor choice.

What's the difference between an oracle and a reverse oracle?

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

1. Poor choice.

Null is represented as an empty string. Duh.

• BINNED

longer PIN

long PINs are where the real power is ... you can encode so much information in long PINs ... and then share all those PINs to all other PINners!

• Considered Harmful

longer PIN

long PINs are where the real power is ... you can encode so much information in long PINs ... and then share all those PINs to all other PINners!

I store all my PINs in the names of folders, so they take up zero bytes on disk.

• Banned

@dkf said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

1. Poor choice.

Null is represented as an empty string. Duh.

I've seen that happen.