TV, or monitor?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@RaceProUK said in TV, or monitor?:

*Unless the other state broadcaster (Channel 4 (yes, it is a state broadcaster)) gets a small slice, but I can't remember if that's true or not.

Channel 4 is self-funding so no.
    However Wikipedia says that a few years ago they did ask for government money, which would have come from TV licensing, but didn't get it.

• @skotl said in TV, or monitor?:

Correct - you need the licence if you receive live broadcasts of the BBC TV channels (as per the link you included) no matter what the device.
    The reality is that it's impossible before or after the fact to prove that someone watched BBC TV live.

When they had the whole internet filters thing, they should have used the chance and tied the TV License to it: no license == no access to BBC website.

(Yes, it's obviously easy to bypass, but IMO it would be a bit better than how it is now)

• @Arantor said in TV, or monitor?:

@loose I had to fill in the "no TV licence needed" declaration multiple times already even when I didn't have a TV...

No, you didn't have to. What's it to you if they waste resources sending you letters that mean nothing because they're never going to be in a position to act on them?

And if I actually buy a TV they generally don't accept the "no licence needed" part of it because "you have a TV therefore you must need a licence"

Doesn't matter if they won't accept it, they're never going to be able to prove you need a license if you're not watching TV on your TV, so you can just ignore them.

You do not need to respond to their letters, you do not need to answer their phone calls, you do not need to let them into your house.You definitely do not need to go out of your way to help them. It will not be held against you that you didn't do their jobs for them, in fact if anything the opposite, since if you show that you don't believe their lies about it being your responsibility to prove you don't need a TV license they will probably give up and intimidate someone more gullible.

Please stop enabling that organisation. They are evil.

Technically, they're trying to fuck everyone over because even a regular laptop "potentially" meets their criteria for reception equipment.

Then your quest is pointless and just buy what you want.

• @anonymous234 said in TV, or monitor?:

I'm pretty sure you need a "TV licence" whether you have a TV or not.

Right; so. I don't understand this entire quest.

The burden on them (if there's any justice in your country, which is sounds like there is not) is to prove that whatever device you buy was used to watch live TV. (Which I hope is more specifically defined elsewhere-- if you go to NFL.com and watch an American football game from an American website via an American TV network, that's "watching live TV", but what fucking business is it of the British Government's?)

Hell, that snippet even says they claim Blu-Ray players. The hell?

In any case, it sounds as if the physical hardware is secondary.

• @skotl said in TV, or monitor?:

Which is actually fine, IMO. In the UK you can receive a bunch of relatively decent TV channels for free, unlike in the U.S.

That's not true; in the US (well, based on geography and how powerful the transmitters are) you can get well over a dozen channels in HD for free, and we have a public television network as well.

Of course "decent" is a huge weasel-word, so I'm sure you'll say none of that counts.

• @CarrieVS said in TV, or monitor?:

Please stop enabling that organisation. They are evil.

It certainly sounds like you guys need some civil disobedience over there.

I live in a block of flats, the entrance and stairwells are communal and the landlord owns rights to them, I do not.
    If I did, I'd simply remove their right of access, job done.

Differences in laws that make all the difference, so to speak. Here in the Netherlands, as I suppose in ◼︎◼︎◼︎◼︎◼︎◼︎◼︎, it doesn’t matter if it’s your house or not: if you live there and deny someone access, they can’t legally come onto the property, period.¹ In a case like yours, with communal access, I think that means they can’t enter the apartment.

¹ Unless there’s right of access that’s been specifically granted at some time in the past for situations like being able to access your back yard via a path that is actually on the neighbour’s property. The neighbour wouldn’t be able to revoke your access if there’s no other way to get to your back yard.

• @blakeyrat Indeed, and I've seen you public television network programmes, too so I'll stick with my "weasel word" of decent TV!

• Fake News

@asdf said in TV, or monitor?:

Don't ever talk to any authority that suspects you broke a law unless you absolutely have to.

US-centric, but highly relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

• The government that charges you a tax for owning a TV is about to make it illegal to actually show popular shows at popular times.

Seriously.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat It's no secret the current Tory government is trying to kill the BBC. They've been trying to do so since they got into power in 2010; this is just another shot in the battle.

• @RaceProUK Well they definitely should kill the tax, because that's fucking ridiculous.

Leave the BBC to its own devices. It probably makes enough moolah off BBC America (and equivalent in other countries) to cover most of their needs.