When to use chip-enabled card?

• Hmm I believe those magstrip cards are abolished in Korea recently in favour of those chip cards.

I believe it is due to the high rate of forgery.

In Korea, we have ATMs that replicate your card. 😃

• BTW didn't we already have a term for "near-field communications" back when we started calling it RFID? Do we really need more words for that? We got one already.

To the person about to explain why they're technically different: I don't give a shit.

• @Jaime said:

The fact that we are behind on customer-facing technology is irrelevant since most of the fraud detection in the US is done by behavior analysis, not physical security.

So that should make it easier for contactless to work in the US? Anecdotally, I've never had a fraudulent transaction, but I have had credit cards cancelled and reissued due to a possible breach within a major retailer.

@Jaime said:

BTW, resorting to an ad-homonym argument is a good sign that you are wrong.

That wasn't an ad-hominem attack. Paying with check/cheque is archaic as fax machines! If you had used the past tense I wouldn't have mentioned anything.

@Jaime said:

swiping during the transaction since an early swipe doesn't give anyone the opportunity to actually charge you until

Well I'll have to see if is even supported, but I guess it's a bit hard now all my cards have had a chip for many years. I even complained that the chip screwed up the design of my card: http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/24830/264222.aspx

@blakeyrat said:

BTW didn't we already have a term for "near-field communications" back when we started calling it RFID? Do we really need more words for that? We got one already.

Different underlying technology?

• :belt_onion:

@Zemm said:

Different underlying technology?

Yes it is, Blakey's (fairly valid) point is that they're similar enough that we should use the same name. Which... Yeah, we probably should. I guess someone thought there was enough of a difference to warrant a terminology change though

• Why can't a lightning connector charge my Android? I mean, they are both charge cables! And connect through USB!

Why can't I play these video tapes on my video player? I can't tell the difference between beta and VHS.

Same thing. RFID and NFC are not completely compatible with each other so they should have different names.

• @blakeyrat said:

Should I always use the chip if the card reader supports it?

Yes. It will be marginally faster and marginally more reliable than the magstripe.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@RaceProUK said:

Ah. AFAIK, it's the same level of fraud protection, but you'll probably get more favourable treatment if you were defrauded while using Chip & PIN compared to magstripe and signature.

Hah. Couple of years old, but nevertheless:

Basically the banks tell you to fuck off if they reckon the PIN was used for a fraudulent transaction.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Zemm said:

Same thing. RFID and NFC are not completely compatible with each other so they should have different names.

Yeah, if they were called the same thing he'd rant about things that say they're the same thing don't work together.

• @Zemm said:

That wasn't an ad-hominem attack. Paying with check/cheque is archaic as fax machines! If you had used the past tense I wouldn't have mentioned anything.

@Zemm said:

Also, did you fax your order into the shop?

Sounds ad hominem to me. I happen to know about a technology and you immediately jump to the "you're old and out of date because you use checks". All I claimed was that I knew about the technology, not that I have actually used it in the past ten years.

@blakeyrat said:

Cool.

Story.

Bro.

Yeah, they can't all be page-turners like "I almost replaced my hot water heater because I didn't check the circuit breaker".

@sloosecannon said:

Yes it is, Blakey's (fairly valid) point is that they're similar enough that we should use the same name.

WHY CAN'T I USE MY PHONE INSTEAD OF EZPASS ON THE TOLL ROAD? THEY'RE BOTH NFC!

Question asked, question answered.

True.

TBH I don't exactly remember the difference between them. I think RFID is longer range and NFC is the almost-contact-but-not-quite one, and maybe NFC is a subset of RFID?

NFC, as far as I know, is powered by the device. RFIDs are passive, powered by the receiver. Toll roads that use EZPASS put the receivers about 13 feet--maybe more--off the ground, and use much higher-powered transmitters to make the RFID work from so much farther away than is typical. I don't think NFC COULD work under that scheme but I don't know for sure.

I'm talking about passive RFIDs here, not active ones.

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

Apparently you use it when possible, and fallback to the magnetic strip when it doesn't work or it fails.

Good luck Mr. Psychic.

So many places already have the devices for the chip reader, but aren't actually using that technology yet.

At least Target is picking it up early.

@abarker said:

In my experience, if the chip reader is available and activated, then the mag-reader will beep and refuse to process the transaction. You're basically forced to use the chip reader when possible.

Same here.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

NFC, as far as I know, is powered by the device.

Phone to terminal may very well be, but you can buy stick on NFC tags for your phone to read, i use them for things like automating switching the phone into'out of driving mode. (scan the tag stuck to the dash of my car puts on powersave, deactivates wifi, enables bluetooth (just in case), connects to the car stereo as hands free, enables driving mode,and opens maps, scan it again it undoes all that except for maps. very handy)

so NFC must include provisions to be powered by receiver

• Notification Spam Recipient

@xaade said:

Good luck Mr. Psychic.

Apologies, but who are you talking to? I have never been called this before.

Yeah, the NFC-based credit cards must operate on the same tech too, since I doubt they put a battery in them...

• Is wrong answer.

Should be... "Yes, am Superhero!"

@accalia said:

so NFC must include provisions to be powered by receiver

Sounds like NFC is RFID's more advanced sondaughterchildprogeny Fsck it, I'm going to micro-aggress something, so whatever.

@xaade said:

Is wrong answer.

Should be... "Yes, am Superhero!"

Ah... nope! I'm Awesome! (Awesome is my middle name!)

• Tony Awesome T

T.A.T. Guy!

@xaade said:

T.A.T. Guy!

Argh! @#$^# Hate it when people call me "Tony"!

/me *rampages for a few minutes *

• I guess I don't buy enough stuff at CVS to notice the price difference. Amazingly, they outnumber Dunkin' Donuts on my street, 3-2 (Walgreens ties DD).

@accalia said:

Hanaford is closer but a bit too far to walk

But they sell Smiling Hill Farm milk, which makes everything worth it.

@accalia said:

and shaws.... we don't talk about shaws....

My parents still go to Shaws. There's a Stop & Shop, Wegman's, and two Trader Joes closer to where I live now.

• FoxDev

@Dragnslcr said:

Stop & Shop,

heh. i havent been in one of those since we moved down south from Pittsfield.....

@Dragnslcr said:

Trader Joes
    yeah they're around.... not worth dealing with the crowds of hipsters.

• @accalia said:

@Dragnslcr said:
    Trader Joes
    yeah they're around.... not worth dealing with the crowds of hipsters.

Yeah, especially since there's still only the one on Marginal Way*, right? I have one about a 10-minute walk from home, and another that's about an 8 minute drive. I usually only go there for a few specific things, like pizza dough and pasta sauce that doesn't have 50% of my daily sodium per serving.

* Side note: 30 years ago, that Trader Joe's was a warehouse that my father worked in.

• FoxDev

@Dragnslcr said:

pizza dough

why would i buy that? takes 30 minutes to make from scratch, and 20 of that is waiting for it to rise while i prepare the rest of the ingredients.

@Dragnslcr said:

pasta sauce
    takes 5 minutes to prepare from scratch (and 6-8 hours in a crockpot to cook). 1000x tastier and significantly cheaper than buying.

it even freezes halfway decently, or if you want to put a bit more effort in you can even can it pretty easily, and then you always have sauce done just your way.,

• I've tried making pizza dough once, and it failed pretty miserably. I haven't tried again since then, though I probably should.

I haven't tried making my own pasta sauce. I don't have a crockpot, but I could probably just use plain tomato paste and toss in some spices.

Expanding my cooking ability is a pretty slow/infrequent process. There's a few things I can do pretty well at this point, but it takes a while for me to get around to learning new stuff.

• FoxDev

@Dragnslcr said:

I've tried making pizza dough once, and it failed pretty miserably. I haven't tried again since then, though I probably should.

There's a recipe around here somewhere… ah, here it is:
    https://what.thedailywtf.com/t/the-wtf-cooking-show-thread/8330/92?u=raceprouk

• FoxDev

@Dragnslcr said:

I've tried making pizza dough once, and it failed pretty miserably. I haven't tried again since then, though I probably should.

ping me at some point, i'll dig out my recipe and share

@Dragnslcr said:

I don't have a crockpot, but I could probably just use plain tomato paste and toss in some spices.
    that's basically it, crushed tomatoes, a little tomato paste to thicken, saute'd onions for flavor, handful of spices. a pinch of sugar if you like or a dash of baking soda if you want to cut acid (not recommended unless the acid in tomatos is an issue, this one leaves a distinct aftertaste. not exactly bad, but makes it harder to use the sauce in other recipes)

what the crockpot does is slow cook it to release the natural sugars in the tomato and soften the "bite" of the acid in the tomatoes.

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

@Dragnslcr said:

https://what.thedailywtf.com/t/the-wtf-cooking-show-thread/8330/92?u=raceprouk

ah. ne3vermind. someone discosearched iot for me :-D

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

ah. ne3vermind. someone discosearchedbookmarked iot for me :-D

Because Discosearch sucks ass ;)

@RaceProUK said:

My original response still stands 😆

@loopback0 said:

@accalia said:
    oats

@accalia said:

pizza

Wot?

• FoxDev

@loopback0 said:

My original response still stands 😆

as does mine: don't knock it til you've tried it

• @blakeyrat said:

What's the guideline there? Should I always use the chip if the card reader supports it? Or only over certain amounts? Or what?

Read the card reader's prompt. It takes a second longer, but it says exactly what you should do. It will probably say either "swipe" or "swipe or insert".

• If the prompt mentions "insert" and your card has a chip, insert it.
    • In all other cases, you swipe.

Plus, if you swipe when you were supposed to insert, it'll usually beep and tell you that you need to insert it.

This is the only reliable way I've found to tell. Some card readers have the insert slot but don't support chips. Sometimes they even have the insert slot lit up, but still don't support chips. The prompt always tells you whether it does or not.

@FrostCat said:

RFIDs are passive, powered by the receiver. Toll roads that use EZPASS put the receivers about 13 feet--maybe more--off the ground, and use much higher-powered transmitters to make the RFID work

E-ZPass uses active RFID, not passive. That's why they work from that distance. It's not because they ramp up the transmitter power.

@accalia said:

pasta sauce... takes 5 minutes to prepare from scratch

@accalia said:

saute'd onions for flavor

Sauteed onions take longer than 5 minutes. More like 25 minutes. Unless you don't care that they're still basically raw, in which case... okay I guess, but don't tell me about flavor. You might as well not bother sauteing them.

• FoxDev

@anotherusername said:

Sauteed onions take longer than 5 minutes. More like 25 minutes.

that's the neat thing about the crock pot. you just need to sautee them long enough to get a bit of caramelization on the out side. the crock pot will take care of cooking them the rest of the way through.

so yeah still 5, maybe 10 minutes at the most for the crockpot method.

it's about 30-45 mintues if you make it in a saucepan

@anotherusername said:

Read the card reader's prompt. It takes a second longer, but it says exactly what you should do. It will probably say either "swipe" or "swipe or insert".

If the prompt mentions "insert" and your card has a chip, insert it.
    In all other cases, you swipe.

Plus, if you swipe when you were supposed to insert, it'll usually beep and tell you that you need to insert it.

This is the only reliable way I've found to tell. Some card readers have the insert slot but don't support chips. Sometimes they even have the insert slot lit up, but still don't support chips. The prompt always tells you whether it does or not.

:giggity: Engine nods. "Keep going...."

• @anotherusername said:

Read

Reading's for nerds.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@anotherusername said:
    Read

Reading's for nerdsclosers.

GGGRTFY

• @Jaime said:

I happen to know about a technology and you immediately jump to the "you're old and out of date because you use checks". All I claimed was that I knew about the technology, not that I have actually used it in the past ten years.

Maybe I should have worded it "can you fax..." - if they (the store) accept cheques then they could accept fax orders and not necessarily email orders. I was more attacking the store/system than you!

@anotherusername said:

E-ZPass uses active RFID, not passive.

So, ah, what do you do when the battery runs out? And what kind of battery do they use? I've never used one or even seen the box up close enough to look, but it's certainly not big enough for, say, a AA.

• @Zemm said:

Maybe I should have worded it "can you fax..." - if they (the store) accept cheques then they could accept fax orders and not necessarily email orders. I was more attacking the store/system than you!

No wonder I didn't think that's what you were saying - that doesn't even make sense. Checks are a method of payment, not a method of ordering. The check process I was describing requires that you have already selected your items and you are at the register, so it certainly wouldn't imply that you could fax in an order.

• Pretty much around here cheques were used for business-to-business transactions. Personal cheques are generally not accepted. If it's not cash it's electronic!

• @FrostCat said:

So, ah, what do you do when the battery runs out?

Well, apparently you notice that the electronic sign says "toll unpaid", so you go talk to E-ZPass, and they tell you the battery's dead and replace it for free.

@FrostCat said:

And what kind of battery do they use?

I 'unno. Lasts 3-5 years, supposedly. Disassembly pictures here and here.

Huh, TIL.

I think I might've mentioned this before, but before I lived at my current address, getting an ez-pass would involve spending about $6 a day to save 10 minutes on a 60-minute commute in each direction, so I didn't see the value in it. Now, I basically don't need to drive any toll roads but a few times a year.

Also--north Texas doesn't use EZ-PASS. The circuit in those pictures uses a pretty big battery/capacitor/I didn't look at what it was. Here's a TollTag, as used in DFW:

The things are, I dunno, 3-4 inches wide? And--I'm guessing as I haven't seen one up close in years, and couldn't find a picture that wasn't head-on like this--about 1/4 inch thick. You're supposed to put them under your rear-view mirror, and the readers are, I dunno, 13-16 feet off the ground, over each lane of the toll plaza.

Also the faq page uses the word "sticker" and doesn't mention a battery or replacement, but that might not mean anything.

• The TollTag stickers look like they're passive RFID, yeah. That box probably had a battery in it, but they've phased those out (can still be used if you have one).

• ♿ (Parody)

@anotherusername said:

@FrostCat said:
    And what kind of battery do they use?

I 'unno. Lasts 3-5 years, supposedly. Disassembly pictures here and here.

I just turned in a couple of NJ units that were about 14 years old. They were still working, but I switched to Virginia's so I could use the HOT lanes for free.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@accalia said:

that's basically it, crushed tomatoes, a little tomato paste to thicken, saute'd onions for flavor, handful of spices. a pinch of sugar if you like or a dash of baking soda if you want to cut acid (not recommended unless the acid in tomatos is an issue, this one leaves a distinct aftertaste. not exactly bad, but makes it harder to use the sauce in other recipes)

OR:

• 1 can of tomatoes. Whole is preferred, crushed if you must. With Basil is ok
    • 2-3 cloves garlic, if that's your thing
    • salt, sugar, pepper
    • fresh basil, if you have it
    • chilli flakes

EDIT: FUCK YOU DISCOURSE - IS A UL AND 1. IS AN OL YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT

1. Pan over medium-low. Smash the cloves cook for ~1 minute.
    2. Medium head. Throw in the tomatoes. Mash 'em up as they cook, or blend if you have one
    3. all spices to taste. Reduce the salt if your canned tomatoes has lots. 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon of sugar, depending
    4. Cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes. It'll thicken down. Basically keep it just above simmering until it's thick

Done. You'll probably get 4 pizzas worth from a single can of tomatoes. Portion the rest into ziplocks and freeze it, so you have it on hand for next time.

• So do you use the chip-enabled card before or after adding the basil?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@accalia said:

that's the neat thing about the crock pot. you just need to sautee them long enough to get a bit of caramelization on the out side. the crock pot will take care of cooking them the rest of the way through.

Yesss! That is something people overlook in a crockpot. Yes, it works if you "throw it all in and forget it". But if you brown the meat and caramelize the onions first-- not to mention toasting the spices-- oooooooo yeah@!!!