In which I accidentally Windows 10

• This is true. You'll recall I had the same issue on my laptop, so I had to make a USB boot drive for it.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@powerlord said:

I've heard that Windows will make a copy of the current Windows directory when you upgrade.

So THAT'S what happened to me!

• @powerlord said:

Unfortunately, Windows will periodically unhide this update to try to trick you into installing it again.

I think the method described on Major Geeks should nobble it successfully, because Windows Update always sees it as installed so there's nothing for it to "fix".

If the brute-force rename doesn't work, adding a Deny Execute for Everyone NTFS permission almost certainly will.

• @powerlord said:

I've heard that Windows will make a copy of the current Windows directory when you upgrade

GWX has also been caught downloading gigabytes of update preload stuff and dumping them in a hidden folder called C:\$Windows.~BT even if never asked to.

• @Yamikuronue said:

So THAT'S what happened to me!

You can use Disk Cleanup Wizard to get rid of it. BTW.

• @Gaska said:

Will it get rid of all those reminders and let me download regular updates? I doubt it.

Still catching up in the thread - but you can do normal updates. You just have to click the hotlink under the "INSTALL 10 NOW" banner to see them. And make sure you uncheck the win10 upgrade item!

I've reserved and downloaded my copy - just not quite ready on that machine so I keep unchecking that update. I have upgraded all my other machines. (It's just that one I'm stalling on)

edit: yup, @cartman82 :hanzo:'d me

• @Deadfast said:

There is exactly one feature Windows 10 has won me over with: per-monitor DPI settings.

You do know that exists in 8 also... I'm on a 4k 15" laptop + 1920x1200 normal monitor. Things are fine.

Well, except for all the programs that lie and say they support hi-dpi when they really don't... sigh. The fix:

• Enable external manifests: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\PreferExternalManifest = 1
    • Extract existing manifest: mt.exe -inputresource:bad.exe;#1 -out:bad.exe.manifest
    • Turn off the lie: <dpiAware>False</dpiAware>

• @dcon said:

You do know that exists in 8 also... I'm on a 4k 15" laptop + 1920x1200 normal monitor. Things are fine.

Even the desktop icon sizes and size of the taskbar on both monitors?

If so, we need to compare notes.

I'm also 99.9% sure your mouse coordinates aren't being fudged when you move the mouse cursor from one monitor to the other, because Microsoft never even claimed to fix that bug. Most likely, this is probably just another case of a person who's very very tolerant of bugs and quirks saying something "works fine" when it's nowhere close.

• @blakeyrat said:

Even the desktop icon sizes and size of the taskbar on both monitors?

I only run the taskbar (left-side!) and icons in the main (4K) monitor.

@blakeyrat said:

I'm also 99.9% sure your mouse coordinates aren't being fudged when you move the mouse cursor from one monitor to the other, because Microsoft never even claimed to fix that bug. Most likely, this is probably just another case of a person who's very very tolerant of bugs and quirks saying something "works fine" when it's nowhere close.

I have noticed that - but really don't find it too annoying. The mouse behavior does match the picture...

edit: I won't say things are perfect - but they are definitely usable.

• I didn't have to do anything involving 'the cloud' when I set up Windows 10. I just hit the Skip/Not Now/Use a Local Account options when they appeared, and it never bothered me again.

I guess if your sole goal is to bitch about the OS, it is a LOT harder to see the links that let you not do the thing you're bitching about doing.

• @dcon said:

I only run the taskbar (left-side!) and icons in the main (4K) monitor.

So you don't even know if it works fine. Pfft.

@dcon said:

I have noticed that - but really don't find it too annoying. The mouse behavior does match the picture...

So you know that it is buggy, but decided not to mention it. Double pfft.

BTW the picture doesn't match the monitors. Windows badly needs a way to just fucking TELL IT how many inches each monitor is, and calculate DPI based on that. Instead of the dumb guess-and-check method it does now. I mean, their refusal to just add a little pulldown "how big is this monitor?" widget is really the root cause of a lot of the confusion in the current implementation.

• The Get Windows 10 app Gets Windows 10?

I don't believe you.

• I'm glad that at least one of the people ITT has a complaint about something worth complaining about.

I don't have a 4k display, so worst thing for me is the arbitrary 512-shortcut limit for the new Start Menu. Utterly ridiculous.

• @blakeyrat said:

BTW the picture doesn't match the monitors.

Yes it does - by pixels. The "tiny" monitor is 1920x1200. Logically, the left one runs at 250% and the right one at 100%.

@blakeyrat said:

So you don't even know if it works fine. Pfft.

I just dragged a shortcut over... (and the taskbar) The size matches the tooltip on the windows chrome min/max/close buttons, so I guess we can give them consistency at least...

(My typical setup is all windows in the 4k monitor except Visual Studio - that runs full screen in the 2nd monitor)

• @dcon said:

Yes it does - by pixels.

It's a skeumorphic UI. You don't look at pixels, you look at monitors. The dialog is obviously wrong.

@dcon said:

I just dragged a shortcut over... (and the taskbar) The size matches the tooltip on the windows chrome min/max/close buttons, so I guess we can give them consistency at least...

The text, maybe, but the icon?

Look the Windows 8 behavior was:

If your main monitor was the 1080p, the 4K monitor would have TINY icons with TINY captions.

If your main monitor was the 4k, the 1080p monitor would have HUGE icons with HUGE captions.

In Windows 10 all they fixed was the caption size. The icon size was exactly as wrong. So you experiencing correct caption sizes, well. Ok. That was a fix from Windows 8 -> Windows 10. But your icon size is still fucking wrong as shit, right? You just didn't think to mention it. Because you're extremely tolerant of bugs and should have the right to declare something "works fine" taken away from you.

• @rvleshrac said:

The Get Windows 10 app Gets Windows 10?

Without being asked to. Too bad if you're on a mobile data connection where every gigabyte over your monthly allowance costs $150.

• @blakeyrat said:

Look the Windows 8 behavior was:

Sorry - I thought my

@dcon said:

You do know that exists in 8 also.

reply to "per-monitor" implied that I was still on 8... (I am)

I've only briefly connected my win10 machine to a 2nd monitor, so I have no idea what differences there are.

• Well I'll be damned, I just checked and you can use the Mail and Calendar apps without a MS account. That's a nice step forward from 8.1.

Still, you can't install Solitaire or Minesweeper without one, and those are essential Windows features.

• @Gaska said:

Some time ago, I've reserved my Windows 10 copy because, why not, it's free, and it's not like I'm installing it just yet. Also, I was kinda annoyed by reminders.

You lost me here. As soon as that little shit nagware installed, I search for the culprit, found it to be the "GWX" application (that's Microsoft for Get Windows 10), which was installed from KB3035583. I killed the process, and then terminated KB3035583 with extreme prejudice, and killfiled the installer from coming back in Windows Update.

Haven't heard a peep from Microsoft about 10 since then. The hoops you were jumping through to not deal with it at all took WAY more effort than just uninstalling the little fucker.

Lesson learned ;)

• I know who will be complaining about things not working right on his ten year old OS soon(tm)...

• I know who to ignore when the first generation issues with every new release of anything in the tech stack start to rear their ugly heads ;)

• @Vaire said:

and killfiled the installer from coming back in Windows Update.

How did you killify it?

If it was just by using the Windows Updates hide option, I already pointed out that it will come back. Happened to me on Wednesday last week.

• @powerlord said:

How did you killify it?

If it was just by using the Windows Updates hide option, I already pointed out that it will come back. Happened to me on Wednesday last week.

Yes, I hid it. No, it hasn't come back yet. But if it does, simply re-hiding it is a lot less work than what @Gaska was going through o_O

• Banned

@Vaire said:

You lost me here.

It wasn't like I didn't want update. I was just not entirely sure.

• @Gaska said:

It wasn't like I didn't want update. I was just not entirely sure.

I'll update when I am good and ready. I didn't jump from XP to 7 right away either. I let everyone else be unpaid beta testers for the first couple of years before I took the plunge 🚎

• :belt_onion:

@Gaska said:

wallpaper is ugly.

o.O

It's probably the best Windows wallpaper yet... it's decidedly not ugly...

YMMV

@Vaire said:

I'll update when I am good and ready. I didn't jump from XP to 7 right away either. I let everyone else be unpaid beta testers for the first couple of years before I took the plunge 🚎

I'm one of those unpaid beta testers who hasn't hit any bugs 😛

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD DID DISCOURSE JUST COPY THE EMOTICON FROM A QUOTE?

• FoxDev

@sloosecannon said:

It's probably the best Windows wallpaper yet...

better than this one?

i think not!

Eh...

Well...

Hrm, that's a tough call...

• @Vaire said:

I know who to ignore when the first generation issues with every new release of anything in the tech stack start to rear their ugly heads

There ain't any.

• area_can

Fuck computers.

• ♿ (Parody)

Japanese, eh?

• Notification Spam Recipient

You would, wouldn't you?

• area_can

#;}

• FoxDev

@Tsaukpaetra said:

You would, wouldn't you?

Sumomo is cuter than Chi.

It would have been more interesting to see more of Elda but.... well we didn't.

@accalia said:

It's difficult to pull good images through the work firewall. 🚶

• FoxDev

@Tsaukpaetra said:

It's difficult to pull good images through the work firewall.

hmmm..... your explanation is weak, but i like the photo of James Doohan you have there.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Gaska said:

There were also two tiny combo boxes to set the time of next reminder - a day and an hour, respectively. Except the day combo box had just three entries - for the same day, for the next day, and the day after that. The latest time I could set was the day after tomorrow, 11PM (which meant the reminder opens up at 10PM).

Close window, set clock forward 180 days, wait for window to come back, set reminder for day after "tomorrow", set clock back.

• @sloosecannon said:

plunge 🚎

Maybe

@blakeyrat said:

Although then you get nagged about buying Office 365

You can kill that one--wait for it to show up in the notification bar, then (I think) right-click and you get a popup that says something like "don't shoe me any more notifications for this application."

Well, I'll know in a few weeks if you can really kill it but I haven't seen it in a while.

Doing that to the "it's now safe to remove [your flash drive]" is weird; you don't get ANY notification except the traysystem notification area icon appears.

@flabdablet said:

Too bad if you're on a mobile data connection where every gigabyte over your monthly allowance costs $150.

If you're on one of those you should have already told Windows it was a metered connection. Presumably (?) it wouldn't download then.

@FrostCat said:

metered connection
    this only works for background downloading. If you explicitly tell it to start updates (i.e. accidentally click the giant banner of doom) it ignores that settingflag.

• Banned

@FrostCat said:

Close window, set clock forward 180 days, wait for window to come back, set reminder for day after "tomorrow", set clock back.

Another advice just in time! Oh wait.

• @FrostCat said:

you should have already told Windows it was a metered connection

Think about the kind of person would would even sign up to a data plan with a ridiculous excess charge like that. How many of those people, do you think, would have even the faintest idea that any such setting even exists, let alone where to go looking for it?

• @sloosecannon said:

😛

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD DID DISCOURSE JUST COPY THE EMOTICON FROM A QUOTE?

Appearantly it does. But... does it also do that for formatting****strong text?

:hanzo:: nope

• I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Seems okay. My audio is a little funky now, sound levels are all over the place, but I probably just need to upgrade drivers for the USB audio interface/mixer I use which not exactly common hardware for general consumers.

I keep hitting WinKey + C to open the Charms menu to shut down, and that's now gone. Got some muscle memory to retrain.

• Banned

@mott555 said:

I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Seems okay.

"I just upgraded from Cinquecento to Smart. Seems okay."

• @dcon said:

The fix:- Enable external manifests: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\PreferExternalManifest = 1- Extract existing manifest: mt.exe -inputresource:bad.exe;#1 -out:bad.exe.manifest- Turn off the lie: <dpiAware>False</dpiAware>

And people keep telling me Linux is hard because you always have to use the command line (but you don't)

• @FrostCat said:

You can kill that one--wait for it to show up in the notification bar, then (I think) right-click and you get a popup that says something like "don't shoe me any more notifications for this application."

I did it the easy way - right-clicked on the icon in the start menu, Uninstall. (Wait. I know I did that on systemA already. Rinse/repeat.)

@flabdablet said:

Think about the kind of person would would even sign up to a data plan with a ridiculous excess charge like that. How many of those people, do you think, would have even the faintest idea that any such setting even exists, let alone where to go looking for it?

I'm pretty sure Windows itself will tell you during the install.