Air compressor recommendations?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said:

Around here, those are usually $1 per use.

If you have a place you regularly go to, they'll usually comp that, if you are a regular and, say, buy a Coke or something.

@blakeyrat said:

Poop on all of you, I wanted to buy gadgets.

Well, buy a gadget then! Geez.

• BINNED

@mott555 said:

Believe it or not, but mine is actually not a super-loud jacked-up model with oversize mud tires, covered in stickers in poor taste, and billowing clouds of black smoke everywhere.

Tell me you at least have a gun rack ...

• BINNED

@Polygeekery said:

Did you try turning it off, and then back on again?

How? By deflating the tire entirely?

• Why not use Windows? I hear it blows 🚎

@Luhmann said:

This weekend my wife and I were driving somewhere and I saw a big ol' pickup with a set of longhorn horns on the front, like you'd see in old movies. I said "we should get one of those for the minivan!"

She didn't say no right off, which is the same as saying "go ahead" in my book.

• @Luhmann said:

@mott555 said:
    Believe it or not, but mine is actually not a super-loud jacked-up model with oversize mud tires, covered in stickers in poor taste, and billowing clouds of black smoke everywhere.

Not yet, but I have plans for a small carbine rack behind my back seat.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

If you have a place you regularly go to, they'll usually comp that, if you are a regular and, say, buy a Coke or something.

I'd probably save money buying the coke somewhere else. Like I said, this is, like, $3 per year, maybe. It's easier and faster just to put the quarters in the machine. And then I don't have to talk to anyone, either.

• @boomzilla said:

And then I don't have to talk to anyone, either.

That's worth at least $1

• Reboot, like unplug the battery for 10 minutes.

Ford, before the switch to QNX was using Windows.
    Rebooting usually fix most problems :trollface:

• @blakeyrat said:

Ok well I'm done tinkering with the car for today. Next time I drive, I'll keep an eye on it and if it doesn't turn off after a few minutes of high speed driving, I'll look for a reset button somewhere.

Did you check the pressure in the spare? It (probably) has a sensor too.

Re: buying a compressor that you don't need now because you found the one you already had...
    Just bought a 3-gallon-tank compressor at Harbor City Freight for $30 with coupon. Probably not the world's greatest compressor... but $30 and not having to creep around back alleys to find "Craig" and arrange a deal....
    Works for me.

@boomzilla said:

I'd probably save money buying the coke somewhere else. Like I said, this is, like, $3 per year, maybe. It's easier and faster just to put the quarters in the machine. And then I don't have to talk to anyone, either.

Up until I replaced that last tire a few weeks ago, I had a bunch that seemed to lose air quite regularly--I was having to fill them at least 3-4 times a year. And around here, most of the air units cut some kind of deal with a charity where the latter got part of your fee, and they also raised the price of air to a buck fifty.

Then, there's a gas station/c-store I go by every day on the way to work and home, so I stop in there regularly anyway--I just got into the habit for a while of every other month or so, asking 'em for air. I wasn't going in and buying a coke[1] to get out of the air fee per se, I was just getting free air along with the coke I was already going to buy.

[1] sometimes the coke was a pepsi, or rather, a mountain dew.

@TimeBandit said:

@boomzilla said:
    And then I don't have to talk to anyone, either.

That's worth at least $1

Yes, but then you get to miss out on the reactions of people when you wear this in:

• ♿ (Parody)

I'm too cheap to buy a coke at a convenience store on a regular basis, but not to scam a charity out of a few bits in exchange for some air for my tires.

@ijij said:

not having to creep around back alleys to find "Craig" and arrange a deal....

When I was working in Tampa, my coworker and I found an apartment--a pretty nice one, actually--on Craigslist.

• @ijij said:

Did you check the pressure in the spare? It (probably) has a sensor too.

The Fusion TPMS system registers which wheel is in which position - it ignores the spare.

@blakeyrat: You might want to try re-registering the sensors.

• @ijij said:

Did you check the pressure in the spare?

Pretty sure the Fusion Hybrid doesn't have a spare tire, just fix-a-flat. @blakeyrat can confirm that if he wants.

• @Jaime said:

Fusion TPMS system

@NedFodder said:

Fusion Hybrid doesn't have a spare tire

WRT Fusion-specific tire details... pardon the expression... I am not telepathic.

OTOH come to think of it, I think my Mazda fails at this as well. On the other other hand Wife reports that her air light is lit owing to spare.... hmmmm.

• @ijij said:

air light is lit owing to spare

This is usual, based on anecdotal evidence. I would prefer if the system ignored the spare instead. Perhaps it lights up to annoy the driver until they replace the spare tire...

• ♿ (Parody)

@NedFodder said:

I would prefer if the system ignored the spare instead.

Yes, much better to be screwed when you actually need the spare than annoyed into being prepared.

• Idiots who drive on their spare for hundreds of miles deserve what they get. I don't need to be annoyed into being prepared. I figured you'd be the one to say "Back in my day, we didn't need no stinkin' light to tell us our air pressure was low!" Did you forget to wear your belt onion today?

• ♿ (Parody)

@NedFodder said:

I don't need to be annoyed into being prepared.

If that's true then you wouldn't get the warning. So what's the big deal.

@NedFodder said:

Did you forget to wear your belt onion today?

It's at the cleaners. :belt_onion:

• This post is deleted!

• @NedFodder said:

I am having an internal mental debate about that myself...

It's not going well... I'm losing. :belt_onion:

Last time I needed my spare it was flat - which would have been good to know ahead of time. Fortunately I was at station to fill the tire I knew was low. But then the TPMS stem came off in my hand while I was unscrewing the cap... so left it at the station and walked home.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@blakeyrat said:

The main difference seems to be the PSI the pump can reach-- but 40 PSI (the first, portable unit) is more than I need for my car's tires. (Except the second one comes with zero accessories, so I'd have to buy the hose and connector separately...)

I know this is already solved, but in case anyone else is in the market for an air compressor, there are some things to consider.

Even though an air compressor can develop 40psi of air pressure, that does not mean it can pump much air at its maximum pressure. The compressor I have will pump 5.9 CFM at 90psi, but 7.3CFM at 40psi. It does not state CFM at its maximum pressure of 150psi, but it will be really low. You can see this in how the needle gets progressively slower as the pressure increases.

For an air compressor that is cheap enough that its max is only 40psi, I would hazard a guess that it is barely pumping anything at that pressure. I may be wrong, they max cut it out at that to avoid anyone blowing up their tires?

The other big consideration, if you want to use it for more than just occasionally inflating a tire or basketball is oil-free versus oiled. Oil-free compressors like the PC one that blakey linked are cheaper and lighter, but their lifespan is a lot lower. A typical oil-free unit averages 1/10th the lifespan of an oiled compressor and they are a lot louder in operation. But, that is unlikely to matter for most homeowners and DIYers.

IMHO, one of those 12-volt ones might be handy to keep stowed in the car for emergencies, but I would only use it in an emergency. I bet their lifespan is < 10 hours of runtime. Not something you want to use very often.

• @Jaime said:

The Fusion TPMS system registers which wheel is in which position

Wow, you're a real expert at this!

@Jaime said:

- it ignores the spare.

Oh wait, you're an idiot. It doesn't have a spare.

@Jaime said:

@blakeyrat: You might want to try re-registering the sensors.

It also doesn't have an ignition switch with a "Run" position, so you're 0/2 here buddy. (I also don't have a TPMS "triggering tool" as far as I'm aware. 0/3. Congratulations.)

• @NedFodder said:

... WTF?

If you actually need the spare, wouldn't you want one properly inflated? I mean... duh?

I can't see any rational argument for excluding the spare from the system.

• Garbage Person

As a semi professional mechanic, I have all sorts of fun air tools (I have an impact wrench that will put 1300ftlb of torque into a bolt but you can hold the sucker limp wristed while it does it) and a big central shop air compressor to run them. Just also spend a lot of time at racetracks. As such I know things.

Don't bother with a tanked compressor if you're just doing tires. One of the little portable jobbies will be fine. Plus you can keep it in the car. Don't bother getting an expensive one. A cheapshit Harbor Freight or Walmart model will be fine. The expensive ones are exactly the same. Probably from the same factory.

Do get a real pressure gauge, though. The ones built into the portable compressors suck. Get one from an auto parts store. Gauge type, fuck the pencil doohickeys.

• @Weng said:

Don't bother with a tanked compressor if you're just doing tires. One of the little portable jobbies will be fine. Plus you can keep it in the car. Don't bother getting an expensive one. A cheapshit Harbor Freight or Walmart model will be fine. The expensive ones are exactly the same. Probably from the same factory.

Yeah, like I said, from now on I'll just use the portable one that came with the car. God knows I'd probably get zero use from it otherwise.

@Weng said:

Do get a real pressure gauge, though. The ones built into the portable compressors suck. Get one from an auto parts store. Gauge type, fuck the pencil doohickeys.

Do digital ones give a better reading? Or just display differently?

The pencil ones are indeed shit, and why I hate using those shitty aluminum box air compressor machines at gas stations. Which are the only ones that exist around here, apparently.

• Garbage Person

Never played with one, but my gut feeling is no. I've never seen a racer use the digital type.

• @blakeyrat said:

@NedFodder said:

... WTF?

If you actually need the spare, wouldn't you want one properly inflated? I mean... duh?

I can't see any rational argument for excluding the spare from the system.

I made my comment under the assumption that the spare doesn't have a sensor, so the system lights the warning indicator when the spare is installed. That's how it is with my car and lots of people I've talked to. Yes, I would prefer the spare to have the sensor. If it doesn't, I'd prefer the warning light to go away.

• @Weng said:

Never played with one, but my gut feeling is no. I've never seen a racer use the digital type.

Right... but they could just be curmudgeon luddites. I don't know enough about "racers" as a group to make a judgement based on this.

• @NedFodder said:

I made my comment under the assumption that the spare doesn't have a sensor, so the system lights the warning indicator when the spare is installed.

Huh?

Your car has a light that goes on when the spare is installed? Did you type that backwards?

@NedFodder said:

That's how it is with my car and lots of people I've talked to.

What do you own, a Mazda MX-PieceOfShit?

@NedFodder said:

Yes, I would prefer the spare to have the sensor. If it doesn't, I'd prefer the warning light to go away.

If I were in your shitty car with its moronic useless warning light, I'd also like it to go away.

WARNING: YOU HAVE A SPARE TIRE! WARNING WARNING IT'S THERE FOR YOU IF THERE'S A BLOWOUT! THIS HAS BEEN A WARNING!!!

• @blakeyrat said:

It also doesn't have an ignition switch with a "Run" position, so you're 0/2 here buddy.

I see you read the page thoroughly. There's two set of instructions, one for turn-key type and one for push-button type.
    @blakeyrat said:

(I also don't have a TPMS "triggering tool" as far as I'm aware. 0/3. Congratulations.)

I never said you did, so I didn't miss on that one. You would obviously need to buy or borrow a tool to complete the procedure. At least you can buy the Ford tool for about $40. When I had my Dodge, you had to have the dealership reset the tires every time they were rotated.

@blakeyrat said:

Oh wait, you're an idiot. It doesn't have a spare.

Does you car monitor a spare tire? Perhaps "it ignores any spare that may exist" would have been a more accurate way to say it, but most humans can figure out that I didn't mean to imply that your car would only ignore the spare if it existed - but if it doesn't exist, then maybe it isn't ignored.

• Garbage Person

I have no reason to suspect ludditeism. Most of them work in IT and engineering. The rest are doctors. Tires are the most serious of business (they're what we blame for our fuck ups).

.... Okay, so maybe none of those things prevent ludditeism and superstition.

Clearly I'm going to have to try it.

Also, TPMS is a flaming piece of shit. I own hundreds of dollars worth of hardware towards the aim of making the stupid fucking light go off and it's still hit and miss. Every single implementation can eat a bag of dicks. Even dealerships hate it. It would have gone away if it weren't a legal requirement (THANKS OBAMA)

• @blakeyrat said:

Do digital ones give a better reading? Or just display differently?

Accuracy is not tied to digital/analog. See here for examples.

• The idea is good, but. The actual solutions seem shit.

Like I said above, a better solution would be inventing a tire that doesn't require periodic maintainence. No matter how many dashboard lights there are, Lazy Joe Six-Pack isn't going to top off his tires more than once every 3 years, perhaps never. Just like the "battery low" bleep of his smoke detector, he'll just ignore it for months at a time.

People like me who actually jump-to to make the warning light go away are few and far-between.

• @Jaime said:

Accuracy is not tied to digital/analog.

Oh is that why I asked the question. Thank you for explaining my own question to me!

You could have just said "no." Or perhaps, "not necessarily."

Jesus.

Anyway, since the one they said topped the ratings is 1) digital and 2) only $12, I'll pick up that model. Thanks.

... it has a pistol grip, but they put the readout right where your fingers would cover it if holding it like a pistol. Hm.

• Garbage Person

My tires are at spec pressure and the TPMS light randomly comes on and cannot be dismissed. I'm pretty sure one of the sensor batteries is flakey.

Complicating things is that the sensors go to sleep when they don't detect motion. When do you carry out programming and relearn? When the car is sitting still.

So you may have to reset and then go drive. For me it usually takes 20 miles for a relearn to finally turn off the fucking light.

@NedFodder said:

Idiots who drive on their spare for hundreds of miles deserve what they get.

What about people with full-size spared?

@Weng said:

Also, TPMS is a flaming piece of shit. I own hundreds of dollars worth of hardware towards the aim of making the stupid fucking light go off and it's still hit and miss. Every single implementation can eat a bag of dicks.

Mine just uses the rotation speed of the tyres to detect if one tyre is less inflated than the others. It's not as advanced as the TPMS that uses sensors in the tyres but it also just works.

@blakeyrat said:

It also doesn't have an ignition switch with a "Run" position

Did you scroll down to the "push-button ignition" section, depending on whether or not you have a push-button ignition? Down below that claims that covers the 2010-2014 Fusion.

• @Jaime said:

Perhaps "it ignores any spare that may exist" would have been a more accurate way to say it, but most humans can figure out that I didn't mean to imply that your car would only ignore the spare if it existed - but if it doesn't exist, then maybe it isn't ignored.

What the fuck are you talking about?

• @FrostCat said:

Did you scroll down to the "push-button ignition" section, depending on whether or not you have a push-button ignition? Down below that claims that covers the 2010-2014 Fusion.

No, I didn't, because that was long after I dismissed the website as useless trash and made a mental note that everybody here is an idiot.

@blakeyrat said:

made a mental note that everybody here is an idiot.

1. Including you?
    2. Did you make a special note for this topic? Or are you talking about the one you made, in general, eons ago?
      -37. (Oh look, I found another way to break Markdown (well, it's new to me.)) Since I wasn't in this thread when you made the note, will you go back and make another note to add me to the other one?

@boomzilla said:

I'm too cheap to buy a coke at a convenience store on a regular basis, but not to scam a charity out of a few bits in exchange for some air for my tires.

Bah. They can put a box on the counter like everyone else, as far as I'm concerned, instead of jacking up the cost of air by 50%.

@blakeyrat said:

No, I didn't

Also, "ah, so what you're saying is you didn't bother reading what other people wrote." Got it. Let me just make a mental note.

• Garbage Person

Those are the worst of the worst because you can false positive them just by riding the traction control.

Yeah but I'm not riding the traction control so that's 🐄.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

@boomzilla said:

Bah. They can put a box on the counter like everyone else, as far as I'm concerned, instead of jacking up the cost of air by 50%.

Why not both? I'm much more likely to be filling my tires than inside the store part of a gas station.