In other news today...

• :but-why.png:

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TimeBandit said in In other news today...:

:but-why.png:

In case someone wants Chrome but with less Google involvement? 🤷

• 🚽 Regular

@TimeBandit I really need to become a billionaire and join the space race.

• BINNED

@loopback0 said in In other news today...:

In case someone wants Chrome

:but-why.png: :half-trolleybus-l:

• @Zecc If you invest millions in my shady business, I can make it happen 🐠

• @TimeBandit I was going to make a joke about Zimbabwe dollars, but apparently they've (relatively) gone up in value from a few years ago, and it actually would take millions

de01007a-cb7c-426b-a228-b462af7a4a74-image.png

• Banned

@GuyWhoKilledBear said in In other news today...:

@Gąska said in In other news today...:

@DogsB said in In other news today...:

scruples

It's a very common word in Polish but it's the first time I've ever seen it in English. And this spelling bothers me.

Does it have the same meaning in Polish?

Yes, but there's another "u" in the middle like in "scrupulous".

• Java Dev

Small Dutch snackbar keeps hold of brand name "Wendy's", preventing the US fast food chain of the same name from entering the Dutch/Belgian/Luxembourgish (and possibly entire European) markets under that name.

• @TimeBandit said in In other news today...:

I've had a tool for that for years now.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Today in “tech” “journalists” and overblown headlines:

@izzion :wtf: is 5D other than a really old song by The Byrds?!

• Banned

@PleegWat said in In other news today...:

Wendy's, die in 1988

[*] RIP in peace

• @izzion said in In other news today...:

and it does it all at breakneck speeds as well.

That works out to a data rate of about 230 kilobytes per second. At that point, it becomes feasible to fill one of the discs, which have an estimated capacity of 500TB. It would take about two months to write this much data, after which it cannot be changed.

Wait, that math doesn't work. How are they getting 230 kB/sec to write 500TB in ~60 days? My napkin says that is a little over 1TB in 60 days.

@Dragoon said in In other news today...:

@izzion said in In other news today...:

That works out to a data rate of about 230 kilobytes per second. At that point, it becomes feasible to fill one of the discs, which have an estimated capacity of 500TB. It would take about two months to write this much data, after which it cannot be changed.

Wait, that math doesn't work. How are they getting 230 kB/sec to write 500TB in ~60 days? My napkin says that is a little over 1TB in 60 days.

You're forgetting to account for the disk taking nights, weekends, and holidays off. It's French millenial :tro-pop:

• @TimeBandit said in In other news today...:

I've have the dev version installed.

I have so many tabs open, I organize by browser.

I do the same with text editors and IDEs.

@Karla said in In other news today...:

I have so many tabs open

Oh no, you're one of them

• @topspin said in In other news today...:

The main, and likely only, difference between Chrome and Edge is that the former stores settings and passwords in a Google account and the later stores them in a Microsoft account. If you have a work Microsoft account and use Office365 for most your work, it makes sense to have your browser attached to it rather than unrelated Google account.

• @PleegWat said in In other news today...:

Small Dutch snackbar keeps hold of brand name "Wendy's", preventing the US fast food chain of the same name from entering the Dutch/Belgian/Luxembourgish (and possibly entire European) markets under that name.

Well, they can create a spin-off brand "Wen's". Anheuser-Busch did and look how well it worked for them.
    :um-actually: not that much, but I don't think it's caused by the brand name :-)

• BINNED

@Bulb said in In other news today...:

@topspin said in In other news today...:

The main, and likely only, difference between Chrome and Edge is that the former stores settings and passwords in a Google account and the later stores them in a Microsoft account. If you have a work Microsoft account and use Office365 for most your work, it makes sense to have your browser attached to it rather than unrelated Google account.

What would make sense for the user is to have that not hardwired in the browser and be able to use any external service, if you strictly need to have your settings stored in the cloud.
    But then MS couldn't promote their stupid MS account and Google couldn't use this to be always logged into Google for every site for even more pervasive tracking.

What would make sense for the user is to have that not hardwired in the browser and be able to use any external service, if you strictly need to have your settings stored in the cloud.

Yes.

If I understand correctly, the Mozilla mechanism has an account somewhere, but that is only signalling and the data is transferred peer-to-peer between your instances. I didn't look whether they have some mechanism to back it up somewhere (for the time being I rely on having my phone, home computer and work computer synchronized).

What would make sense for the user

:laugh-harder:

• Banned

I have so many tabs open, I organize by browser

With all due respect, this is the most retarded way of organizing tabs I've ever heard of.

@Gąska said in In other news today...:

I have so many tabs open, I organize by browser

With all due respect, this is the most retarded way of organizing tabs I've ever heard of.

:but-you-have-heard-of-it.gif:

• 🚽 Regular

@izzion Alternatively, :challenge-accepted:

• @loopback0 said in In other news today...:

From TFA (:doing_it_wrong:):

The size, orientation, and position (in three dimensions) of the dots gives you the five "dimensions" used to encode data.

Though of course that's half-gibberish. It's 5 parameters used to encode information, so each dot contains more information that just its position (the uni press release says 4 bits per dot), but I don't see how you could overlay several dots at the same spatial location but with different size or orientation, so these two additional "dimensions" do not increase the available space in the same way as e.g. moving from 2D to 3D does (e.g. stacking several platters in a HDD!).

• @Boner said in In other news today...:

The LRG managed to infiltrate the enemy’s rear area, causing havoc by striking high value targets and command and control nodes

:giggity:

@remi said in In other news today...:

Though of course that's half-gibberish.

5-dimensional gibberish

@Boner said in In other news today...:

I see that we're talking about a real-life version of the classic: “Sarge, it's a trap! There's two $special_forces_soldiers out there!”

• BINNED

:surprised-pikachu:

• @remi said in In other news today...:

From TFA (:doing_it_wrong:):

The size, orientation, and position (in three dimensions) of the dots gives you the five "dimensions" used to encode data.

Though of course that's half-gibberish. It's 5 parameters used to encode information, so each dot contains more information that just its position (the uni press release says 4 bits per dot), but I don't see how you could overlay several dots at the same spatial location but with different size or orientation, so these two additional "dimensions" do not increase the available space in the same way as e.g. moving from 2D to 3D does (e.g. stacking several platters in a HDD!).

Orbits (taking this to the celestial mechanics realm) require six elements to specify them completely, but one of those, "true anomaly" is actually a specification not of the orbit but of the body's position along it. So, five dimensions to define an orbit itself.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Farticle @topspin linked in In other news today... said:

Ultimately, we would recommend waiting for independent reviews of the Core i9-12900K to arrive rather than relying on Intel's results.

No shit, Sherclop!

• @da-Doctah said in In other news today...:

Orbits (taking this to the celestial mechanics realm) require six elements to specify them completely, but one of those, "true anomaly" is actually a specification not of the orbit but of the body's position along it. So, five dimensions to define an orbit itself.

I'll repeat my :pendant:ing from the previous post: to me that's five parameters to define an orbit, but not five dimensions. The orbit is still very much a 3D object, or rather an object in a 3D space, even if you need 5 parameters to define it.

For a simpler example, you need 4 parameters to describe a sphere (X, Y, Z of centre plus radius). That doesn't make it a "4D object."

In fact, saying that "dimensions" are needed to define something is IMO wrong. "Dimensions" describe the space into which a something exists, but not how you define that something (within that space). You might need more, or less, than the number of dimensions to do so, depending on what that "something" is and how it relates to other "somethings" (that may exist either in that space or in another, related, one).

• @Dragoon said in In other news today...:

@izzion said in In other news today...:

The article from which the Slashdot post is copied dropped part of a sentence from the summary of the paper:

With upgrades to the system that allow parallel writing, the researchers say it should be feasible to write this amount of data in about 60 days.

If I've got my math right, they've got to do a lot of parallelizing. (104 MiB/s?)

@da-Doctah said in In other news today...:

I'll repeat my :pendant:ing from the previous post: to me that's five parameters to define an orbit, but not five dimensions. The orbit is still very much a 3D object, or rather an object in a 3D space, even if you need 5 parameters to define it.

For a simpler example, you need 4 parameters to describe a sphere (X, Y, Z of centre plus radius). That doesn't make it a "4D object."

In fact, saying that "dimensions" are needed to define something is IMO wrong. "Dimensions" describe the space into which a something exists, but not how you define that something (within that space). You might need more, or less, than the number of dimensions to do so, depending on what that "something" is and how it relates to other "somethings" (that may exist either in that space or in another, related, one).

How do you feel about "degrees of freedom"?

This reminds me of the guy at work who got all up in my grille about whether a broadcast "channel" was the same thing as a "station".

• Fake News

This must be a hot topic during the next neighbors meeting:

• Fake News

Yet another reason why you shouldn't buy KFC dinner:

• Fake News

Seems it's not a llama on the loose but rather an escapa:

• Fake News

Meanwhile in B*****m:

• @da-Doctah said in In other news today...:

How do you feel about "degrees of freedom"?

Yeah, that probably works as well.

This reminds me of the guy at work who got all up in my grille about whether a broadcast "channel" was the same thing as a "station".

Well I warned you I was :pendant:ing. 🏆

But the distinction isn't entirely pointless (for dimensions/parameters -- I don't give a shit about channels/stations).

Take the sphere example: you can decide to consider a 4D space (x,y,z,r) and in that space a sphere is a 4D object. That space can only ever describe spheres (and objects that you could assimilate to one e.g. a point as a sphere of 0 radius), and not other objects (cubes, planes...). There may be some cases where it's actually useful to use that space rather than the usual 3D space, I don't know, I'm just making things up.

But that's still the same sphere in both spaces (3D/4D), and in both cases it's still defined by 4 parameters (values, degrees of freedom...). So dimensions and parameters are not the same thing at all. They may happen to map one to one, but that's not a rule.

• Java Dev

@remi The sphere in 3d space is constrained by a single non-linear equation, making it a 2d object in the general case, though it could actually be less because the equation is non-linear. The fact the equation has 4 parameters doesn't enter into it.

An orbit, on the other hand, isn't an object but a path. It requires 7 dimensions to exist: 3 of space, 3 of velocity, and 1 of time.

• Banned

@da-Doctah said in In other news today...:

Back in the day, there were some TV stations in Poland that shared channels with others, each occupying it at different hours. Usually daytime TV for children/nighttime TV for adults kind of arrangement. It was a common rule in many homes that when Cartoon Network was over, kids must go to sleep (conveniently it was exactly at 9PM).

Take the sphere example: you can decide to consider a 4D space (x,y,z,r) and in that space a sphere is a 4D point. That space can only ever describe spheres (and objects that you could assimilate to one e.g. a point as a sphere of 0 radius), and not other objects (cubes, planes...). There may be some cases where it's actually useful to use that space rather than the usual 3D space, I don't know, I'm just making things up.

Now you made me do it.

(Quote edited for more precise wording)

:um-actually: That space is called the parameter space of spheres, and yes it is often useful to work in that space, because every possible sphere corresponds to a point in that space, and it's often easier to reason about single, discrete points instead of infinite sets. The (minimal) number of dimensions of this space is equal to the number of degrees of freedom of the object described and thus directly relates to the amount of information provided by an instance of such an object. As such, their claim of "5D storage" is not entirely bullshit, iff they really can independently choose the value of each parameter for each individual "voxel". Though IIRC someone mentioned 4 bits per voxel, which would contradict that as a 5D parameter space would at minimum provide 5 bits (1 bit per axis).

• 🚽 Regular

@JBert said in In other news today...:

Seems it's not a llama on the loose but rather an escapa:

Is someone there using Winamp? That might help explain why it keeps trying to escape.

• @ixvedeusi said in In other news today...:

Now you made me do it.

🎆

:um-actually: That space is called the parameter space of spheres

I don't think what I said is contradicted by what you're saying, though I'll admit that I would have been unable (without searching) to write what you did. I'll also note that you just strengthen my point by indicating that this is space is called a parameter space -- that's exactly what I'm saying, the sphere has 4 parameters regardless of the number of dimensions of the space in which it exists (btw, that part is also an answer to @PleegWat's comment, I never said the that the sphere is a 2D, 3D or 4D object, just that it can be described in 3D, 4D... spaces -- that the sphere can be seen as a 2D object in a 3D space is... just further showing how disconnected the number of dimensions of the space in which the object exists is!).

and yes it is often useful to work in that space

I'm pretty sure it is, yes.

As such, their claim of "5D storage" is not entirely bullshit, iff they really can independently choose the value of each parameter for each individual "voxel".

Well I called it "half-"gibberish, because indeed there is one way to look at it that uses a 5D space. But it's still at the very least misleading (if maybe not gibberish).

To put it in your words, I don't think they can independently choose the value of each parameter. For a given voxel, the spatial position is defined, and they can't change it -- or the other way round, they cannot have two voxels that share the same position so again position is not independent from other voxels.

So yes, size/orientation give more ways to store information, but it's not really an additional "dimension." Kind of like writing a coloured dot on a piece of paper rather than a black or white one does not make it a "3D" storage, even though it stores more information than the black-and-white one, and might have a 3D parameter space.

• @Zecc I miss the old WinAmp 2 days, when it was a no-nonsense player that just worked and didn’t did every five minutes.

I don't think what I said is contradicted by what you're saying

Didn't really intend to contradict you, just trying to get the discussion on somewhat more precise mathematical footing (that was also the intent of the :um-actually: but now I see there's also a :um-pendant: which would probably have been more appropriate). But I guess my main point is that the parameter space is not entirely irrelevant to their argument, and that the notion of "number of dimensions" does not only apply to geometrical spaces or physical spacetime (to me you seem to be implying it does).

@remi said in In other news today...:

To put it in your words, I don't think they can independently choose the value of each parameter. For a given voxel, the spatial position is defined, and they can't change it

That's not entirely clear to me; voxels might be arranged roughly on a grid but they might be able encode information by moving each slightly in one direction or another, just like on a vinyl record.

That said, I do agree with your (presumed) argument that speaking of "5D storage" is disingenuous when they mean the dimensionality of the individual voxel, because the notion of "N-D storage" is generally assoicated with the number of dimensions in which units of information can be "stacked" on the medium.

• In other news, compiling to WebAssembly might not be as secure as we thought…

• @ixvedeusi said in In other news today...:

But I guess my main point is that the parameter space is not entirely irrelevant to their argument,

It probably isn't, if you were to read (and understand...) their paper (at least I imagine...), and I guess that this was what I was trying to say by saying it was only half gibberish.

and that the notion of "number of dimensions" does not only apply to geometrical spaces or physical spacetime (to me you seem to be implying it does).

Fair enough. I wasn't really implying that, but that probably wasn't clear in what I wrote (though my mention of the parameter space of the sphere was an example of that), and in the context of a physical object used to store information in our real world... it kind of does -- though you're right that generally speaking, it doesn't.

That's not entirely clear to me; voxels might be arranged roughly on a grid but they might be able encode information by moving each slightly in one direction or another, just like on a vinyl record.

Ah, that could be, yes. The 3 spatial dimensions would then be some sort of offset from some reference location, rather than the location itself, and you could have several dots with the same offsets. But while that would indeed make their 5 parameters independent, it's still using a purely 3D medium to actually store it -- not that I see how you could truly do anything but that in our messy real world, but you never know.

That said, I do agree with your (presumed) argument that speaking of "5D storage" is disingenuous when they mean the dimensionality of the individual voxel, because the notion of "N-D storage" is generally assoicated with the number of dimensions in which units of information can be "stacked" on the medium.

Yes, that's kind of what I was trying to say.

@Arantor said in In other news today...:

and didn’t did every five minutes

:sideways_owl: