:baby_symbol: Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Zerosquare said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

@dkf said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

Along with the painkillers for the parents.

Ear plugs are cheaper, more effective, and less addictive.

But then how will Big Pharma take over the world?

• @Polygeekery said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

My kids have wicked senses of humor. I'm very proud.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

@acrow said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

But I posit that the headphones are even more important an accessory than the power supply.

Along with the painkillers for the parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8fbHpttc5A

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Today we go to a science museum. They have a game setup where they put a skull cap on you and you control the position of a ball by your brain waves. The person who is most relaxed "pushes" a ball into the opponent's goal. Within seconds of starting my kids realized it was more fun to make themselves angry and hyper and flip the rules of the game.

My kids are awesome. They had way more fun with their version of the game.

• As story with pictures.

A couple of days ago my youngest managed to lock the toilet door. While he was not in the toilet, but had just come out.

You see, there's this older type of toilet door lock in Finland, where you lock it from the inside by turning the handle up. A very simple mechanism. And while it's technically possible to leave the handle in an 11 o'clock position such that it might click itself into the locked position from the next bump, that very rarely ever happens because you have to turn the handle down to open the door. But... that didn't prevent me from having to figure out how to open one from the outside around 22:00, one evening this week.

And no, detaching the door handle doesn't work here, because this was the even older, simpler version with the inside and outside handles on separate axes.

Anyways, long story shorter, I figured I could see into the toilet by jamming my camera above the door. Although there was a frame board in the way of completely pushing something in, the selfie-camera was near enough to teh edge to manage to clear the door.

The screen constantly timed out though, so I started video recording to keep it on, so I could see what I was doing. Hence you get to enjoy stills from said video.

Here's me trying to... something with rope. First thing I thought of:

e50cf72f-8ac3-4724-a29b-466f44cc258d-image.png

Unfortunately there wasn't enough of an opening at the side of the door to get any proper sideways force. The rope just kept slipping off. ...When it didn't just slip too low, anyway:

7987b330-5f73-4638-9a9d-09bda6834644-image.png

Next attempt was with iron wire. Notice the 2mm wire next to teh handle:

4b023549-7ab1-4536-9304-6304712ab8ea-image.png

Took me 3 drilled holes to get one level with the inside handle. Different axes inside and outside, remember?

Here's me drilling the... 3rd hole, I think. In case you're wondering about the wrong ring finger, the phone mirrored the video. :kneeling_warthog: to figure out how to prevent that; I rarely use the selfie camera anyway.

f3aef19c-9fbd-4647-825e-a12ebcd616b4-image.png

• Finally, after 30 minutes, I caved and drilled a much larger hole at an angle:

befd9658-80b3-4982-83fc-aa228c3ca8bc-image.png

And was able to pull the handle with the iron wire.

eb890c71-0acf-4bd9-b68c-82a80b69376a-image.png

Yay. Door is finally open. And nobody had to relieve themselves in the shower in the meantime either.

57aaf388-4ec2-4199-a770-133325f5c173-image.png

Now I just have to figure out what to do to the 4 holes on the door.

• @acrow This is why a typical American interior door can be unlocked from either side. On one side, you get the user-friendly lock, and on the other side, there's a tiny hole with a recessed button to unlock it from the outside. It means that you've never really locked the door, which helps when there are kids involved.

And training kids on them involves two parts: teaching them how to unlock them in an emergency, and then teaching them to only unlock them in an emergency.

• @PotatoEngineer Typical new doors in Finland have similarly a square key-hole on the outside for turning the lock in case of emergency. I assume that suitable keys are sold somewhere. I just use a pair of pliers for those.

The door in question here was from the 1960s. They've since been banned in the building codes, for a good reason. But old buildings still have them.

• Java Dev

@acrow Mine has a slot for a flathead screwdriver.

•  

• @acrow said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

Tell your visitors that some shooting happened a few days ago, ...
    🔫

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@BernieTheBernie said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

@acrow said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

Tell your visitors that some shooting happened a few days ago, ...
    🔫

Those dang American tourists!

My kids, so far anyway, have really awesome friends. Friends that I even like the parents of. But my oldest has fallen in with the most unique group. They're my kind of nerdy.

As an example, one of the kids in his friend group is an Indian boy who memorizes the statistics of military aircraft, ships and other stuff the way other kids might do the same with fantasy football players. This all seems odd to me, and the reason that I brang up his ethnicity, because Indian people aren't usually big military aficionados. They always seem more pacifist. But I've never known that many Indian people in anything more than a casual acquaintance sense so :wtf: do I know?

Anyway, he's fun. Whenever he's over he borrows books from me which I used to always run by his dad until his dad told me not to worry about it because he wouldn't ever borrow anything that was inappropriate. Also, I assume his dad has never perused my bookshelf.

Then there's another kid who the first time I met him he was wearing an "Executive Outcomes" t-shirt. Which I also thought was odd. What kind of 12 year old boy wears such a shirt? It even had the stylized knight chess piece logo on it. Whatever, he may have got it from somewhere and just thought it looked cool or something? I mean, their logo is pretty awesome.

Then a couple of months later he comes over and he's wearing a "Sandline International" t-shirt. Okay, no way this is a coincidence.

polygeekery "Big fan of Simon Mann, eh?

He just starts gushing and fanboying about him.

So yeah, he also borrows books from me on occasion. We had an "Ibis Air" t-shirt made for him for his birthday. For his birthday party his parents bought a shitload of those styrofoam and balsa wood plane/glider kits and all of the kids mixed and matched parts to see who could make the coolest looking one, the one that flew the farthest, etc.

They're my kinds of nerds.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Polygeekery said in 🚼 Parenting advice - you're gonna get hit:

This all seems odd to me, and the reason that I brang up his ethnicity, because Indian people aren't usually big military aficionados. They always seem more pacifist. But I've never known that many Indian people in anything more than a casual acquaintance sense so :wtf: do I know?

They're just people and are all over the place, as usual. There are cultural differences in what values are extolled... but that sort of thing really doesn't matter at the level of individual families, especially when they're in another country.

@dkf this is true.

• 66a56d4a-691b-45bf-9c7b-1ea2b3751570-437748209_824731586353975_227197567687259156_n.jpg

• 🚽 Regular

• 26b573c8-90da-43b7-a80f-f9571c1a1d65-image.png