𝄯 Sharp Regrets: Top 10 Worst C# Features

• Banned

@Buddy said:

I was literally just born yesterday and I'm already a better programmer than @Gaska

I almost want to challenge you to code-off.

• Banned

@Buddy said:

Knowledge of language features is a shitty proxy for programming skill. You know what does make a good programmer? Discipline.

Now you sound like cartoon kung-fu master who teaches his pupils that muscles are unimportant as long as you have big heart. Programming is about writing code. The only valid measurement of programming skill is how well you write code. And knowing language features are prerequisites for writing code (usually the more techniques you know, the better).

@Buddy said:

Things like requirements gathering, testing,

That's not programmer's job. I mean, yes, of course, it's usually done by programmer - but only because there's no designated person whose job is to gather requirements (or test). If a bank clerk doubles as toilet cleaner, it doesn't mean cleaning toilets is part of the job of bank clerk - even if every bank clerk in universe did this.

@Buddy said:

checking your code in to the repo

This is in many ways similar skill to knowing for-each syntax in your current language - it's both about memorizing syntax of simple commands, and both have the deeper meaning once you get skilled enough to be able to care about more than just getting your code to compile.

@Buddy said:

automating mundane tasks instead of adding manual steps to the build process all willy-nilly

Wouldn't call this skill, but rather attitude.

@Buddy said:

Tony taught me this, back when I was trying to be a chef. He asked me “what makes a good meal?” I was young and dumb, so I start spouting off a bunch of pretentious shit about ‘flavors’ and ‘balance’ and god knows what else before he cut me off. “No, what makes a good meal is that it tastes delicious. Every component of every dish must taste delicious. You can't make a good meal out of bad ingredients. Until every single thing you cook tastes delicious, there's no point worrying about anything else.”

The moral is... all my code should be delicious?

@Buddy said:

When I see people using language features for the sake of using language features, it just makes me feel like they've lost sight of what's actually good about their code.

Funny you pull the "using... for the sake of using..." argument right after discussing foreach. It's almost as if you meant exactly this feature.

@antiquarian said:

The thing to remember, though, is that every senior programmer started out as a novice.

Except John Carmack - he was born guru 😛

• Trust me, the web application in my ex-company broke a lot more when upgraded from Java 1.5 to 1.6. We can't even deploy WAR file to the application server without significant rewrite. The Sun Java Application Server refuse to accept it.

For a few months, the only way we can deploy the updates are to directly overwrite to the website's folders.

• How are you going to do that without somehow keeping an index?

Zipper...

• kills Dumbledore

@Gaska said:

Programming is about writing code

Paging @Steve_The_Cynic

• @Jaloopa said:

@Gaska said:
    Programming is about writing code

Paging @Steve_The_Cynic

Programming is about writing code...

But not just about writing code.

• @Buddy said:

Ridiculous! That just leaves the number's sign unchanged, twice.

I see you've tried to use the pre-increment operator in Python...

• @boomzilla said:

@antiquarian said:
    OK, you're the new chef, but you can only use salt, pepper and oregano.

Oregano roast for dinner! /DF

No, you're not allowed to use an oven, unless you can make one out of salt, pepper, and oregano.

So in fact, all you can do is go out to the poor unfortunate customer, pinch his nose to get him to open his mouth, and then pour the salt, pepper, and oregano in directly.

• @Buddy said:

Tony taught me this, back when I was trying to be a chef. He asked me “what makes a good meal?” I was young and dumb, so I start spouting off a bunch of pretentious shit about ‘flavors’ and ‘balance’ and god knows what else before he cut me off. “No, what makes a good meal is that it tastes delicious. Every component of every dish must taste delicious. You can't make a good meal out of bad ingredients. Until every single thing you cook tastes delicious, there's no point worrying about anything else.”

Tony overlooked something. Onions taste delicious, but a meal with detectable onion mouth-feel will, for me, not be a good one. And the subjective nature of when something is delicious also suggests that there is never any point in worrying about anything else.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Steve_The_Cynic said:

No, you're not allowed to use an oven, unless you can make one out of salt, pepper, and oregano.

You're talking about DF, so you just mince the salt with the pepper to make oregano roast.

• @Steve_The_Cynic said:

And the subjective nature of when something is delicious also suggests that there is never any point in worrying about anything else.

I always wanted to look up whether there wasn't a delicious deathcap recipe in some of the Agatha Christie books.

• You can make a bad meal out of good onions, but you can’t make a good meal out of bad ones.

And the subjective nature of people’s food preferences is 90% bunk, because that’s the percentage of food aversions that can be traced back to a single, objectively bad meal.

@Buddy said:

And the subjective nature of people’s food preferences is 90% bunk, because that’s the percentage of food aversions that can be traced back to a single, objectively bad meal.

Or to genetic differences that make certain things taste awful to them.

• Sure, some people are mutants. That's not a mark against the quality of the food.

• @Buddy said:

You can make a bad meal out of good onions, but you can’t make a good meal out of bad ones.

98% of statistics are made up.

• So are 98% of prostitutes.

• I shall resist the temptation to ask you just exactly how you might manage to know that.

Oops.

• BINNED

@Buddy said:

Sure, some people are mutants. That's not a mark against the quality of the food.

Aversion to cilantro is actually quite common.

• And fair enough. It's downright awful when people overdo it. This happens frequently.

I would have thought I hate it, but then I think a bit and remember good curry: you can taste the coriander and cardamom for sure, and while those are both awful when they're overpowering, they're amazing when done well.

• @antiquarian said:

I've tried to understand this aversion to cilantro, and I just don' t get it at all. Cilantro tastes at best great, and at worst innocuous. Yet there's entire online communities drawn together only by their dislike of one herb. Why specifically cilantro, as opposed to parsley, tarragon or basil? Of all the foods in the world not to like, let's single out cilantro over hakarl, blue cheese, natto, balut, stinky tofu...

• @tar said:

@antiquarian said:

I've tried to understand this aversion to cilantro, and I just don' t get it at all. Cilantro tastes at best great, and at worst innocuous. Yet there's entire online communities drawn together only by their dislike of one herb. Why specifically cilantro, as opposed to parsley, tarragon or basil? Of all the foods in the world not to like, let's single out cilantro over hakarl, blue cheese, natto, balut, stinky tofu...

Well, at a guess from reading the article title, it's a genetic predisposition.

• @powerlord said:

Well fine, but it's clearly an incorrect one, that's my point...

• @tar said:

@powerlord said:

(Emphasis mine)

That's rather close to racism, isn't it?

• BINNED

@tar said:

From what I've heard about it, to people who have that genetic predisposition, cilantro tastes like soap. So given that, I'd like to know what you consider to be incorrect about it.

Filed under: though I'm sure I'll regret asking...

• @tar said:

Technically you are incorrect. Cilantro haters are mostly "supertasters" that can taste the nasty chemical in cilantro that you cannot.

• C#!

<poo>

• @blakeyrat said:

C#!

Tastes like soap, apparently...

• @tar said:

@blakeyrat said:
    C#!

Tastes like soap, apparently...

I prefer the taste of REST, personally.

• I get a similar effect from tomatoes, interestingly enough.

Also: JEFF!!!

• cause i'm a devil
    in a three-piece suit
    that good old green

• @Buddy said:

@RaceProUK said:

I'm just being the devil's avocado

Food aversion definitely not attributable to "a single, objectively bad meal." At one point in my childhood, I loved avocados. I ate them constantly — to the point I eventually got sick of them, and for some reason, I never managed to reacquire the taste for them.

• @antiquarian said:

to people who have that genetic predisposition, cilantro tastes like soap.

I don't particularly care for it, but I'd guess I don't have the genetic predisposition, because it doesn't taste like soap to me. I think it's this:

@Magus said:

It's downright awful when people overdo it. This happens frequently.

Like quite a few other things, good when it contributes to the flavor of a dish, bad when it becomes the dominant flavor of the dish.

@HardwareGeek said:

Food aversion definitely not attributable to "a single, objectively bad meal." At one point in my childhood, I loved avocados. I ate them constantly — to the point I eventually got sick of them, and for some reason, I never managed to reacquire the taste for them.

That's me and mushrooms. Completely overdosed. I can have them in a few ways now, provided they're not too mushroom-y (e.g., with ham and olives on a pizza), but I still don't like them all that much.

This does not apply to other fungi. I really like a chanterelle omelette…

@dkf said:

olives on a pizza

😦

• Java Dev

I know, he's making me hungry.

Hey, it's a matter of balancing flavours right. And making sure that nothing is too wet; you do not want moisture from anything other than the tomato. (Cheap bottled brined olives work best. Keep the good ones for going with some fine cheese.)

• @Buddy said:

Sure, some people are mutants. That's not a mark against the quality of the food.

Unless it's Soylent?

• @Scarlet_Manuka said:

Unless it's Soylent?

No: There are enough scientific studies (paid by the genetic engineering industry) that prove that food of genetically modified biological entities is no less in quality than "natural" food, and mostly in fact superior.

• @tar said:

@antiquarian said:

Why specifically cilantro, as opposed to parsley, tarragon or basil?

Because cilantro tastes like soap. I don't like my food to taste like soap. The other herbs you mentioned don't do that.

• @OffByOne said:

I don't like my food to taste like soap.

Just get used to it. Pro-tip: after you've fasted a couple of days, soap isn't that bad anymore.

(As an afterthought: this might actually fit to the thread title)

• @dkf said:

And making sure that nothing is too wet; you do not want moisture from anything other than the tomato.

Indeed. We once put quite hot pepperonis on a small part of a baking sheet pizza - the fuckers had so much moisture in them that they leaked and everything was hot (as in: Put your tongue on an anvil and smash a hammer on it. Would've been a nicer experience, actually).

@Rhywden said:

We once put quite hot pepperonis on a small part of a baking sheet pizza - the fuckers had so much moisture in them that they leaked and everything was hot (as in: Put your tongue on an anvil and smash a hammer on it. Would've been a nicer experience, actually).

The worst pizza I ever had was where someone had overloaded it with improperly drained capers. It was just so salty, and there was no respite at all. I'd have traded for that overhot pepperoni pizza any time.

• Speaking of spicy things, I'm rather cheap, so I went to Taco Bell recently. They have these 'Daredevil Grillers' that they're trying to pass off as terrifyingly hot. I figure I'm game, spicy food isn't much of a challenge, and get the Ghost Pepper variety. It was spicy, but not that bad. The Thai food cart a block from work has hotter things hands down.

If this thing is supposed to be food you eat as a dare, I'd definitely be able to win a few. Mostly, it's just fairly good.

• What about the BEST features of C#? It's basically the only language I have zero experience in. Any recommendations on learning it? Best IDE?

@mrguyorama said:

Best IDE?

For C#??? Definitely Visual Studio.

• That's what I thought, but seeing as I have never used VS before, is there any specific version/plugins that are essential?

No idea. I've never programmed in C#. (I've read other people's code, and in some cases felt nauseous by “virtue” of what they'd done, but I don't blame the language for that.)

• Java Dev

Well, I've never used it either, but apparently something called resharper is either required or to be avoided at all costs. Depending on who you ask.

• Latest version is typically a good idea, though 2015 involved a rewrite of the editor to include the new compiler libraries, so it's a bit buggy. If you indent with spaces, you'll probably miss most of the issues.

As for plugins, Multiediting, the current Productivity Power Tools, Xaml Styler, and for fun, Color Themes Editor Extension and KyuuBackground.

There are insane numbers of addons, but even resharper is less useful in 2015 than it used to be, because you can write most of it's features as extensions to the editor now.

Shared code projects are broken in 2015 unless you mod some files, but you may not need to ever think about them anyway.

• Considered Harmful

Sounds like systems

@Bort said:

Hungarian Notation

as opposed to application, so blech. Using a different tense for interfaces, such as a capability phrase, distinguishes them adequately:

HasBlood
    DrinksBlood
    HasWings
    CanFly

implemented by Bat, and Mosquito implements HasIchor instead of HasBlood...

Thankfully I've escaped! Augh, caught in another time vortex!