Memory-holing: Now here on DailyWTF! Abusive mods ahoy!

• @aliceif said:

I came from the front page comment section

Arguably, that was an even worse cesspit.

• You're thinking the rules haven't changed and people just don't follow them like they used to. The problem is, over the past few years, they seem to have - most people who didn't mind having a good heated argument on CS once in a while got up and left when Discourse came, and those who were put off by those arguments decided to take a chance, join and turn the forum to their liking.

Welcome to The Daily Likes, Badges, Forum Games, Sonic Furry Stuff And Occasional IT WTF. Have a pleasant day full of unicorns and rainbows.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Maciejasjmj said:

and those who were put off by those arguments decided to take a chance, join and turn the forum to their liking.

And frankly, the old forums, while possibly more interesting, were a much more toxic place.

• @FrostCat said:

And frankly, the old forums, while possibly more interesting, were a much more toxic place.

But you see, all users are not Jeff, so that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. There's unquestionably more Jeffism here, especially with how Jeffing threads around is apparently okay now.

• @FrostCat said:

@Maciejasjmj said:
    and those who were put off by those arguments decided to take a chance, join and turn the forum to their liking.

And that was the fun of it - one place where you could indulge in toxic hellstew of a discussion and not have mods barging in like a kindergarden teacher.

And if you didn't want it, there were hundreds and hundreds of different forums where the rules were enforced. It's like signing up for a pure PvP server in an MMO and bitching about PKing, to top it with a terrible analogy.

Instead, people here for some reason decided to use the lack of rules to their advantage by going wildly off-topic, then figured out that they can use the rules defense when it's good for them, and blatantly ignore them otherwise.

• And remember the point I made to Accalia in that PM she made public, so which I'm now going to reiterate:

The new people chose to join our community, to hang out with us.

Why would you choose to hang out with a cool new friend, then immediately devote all your efforts to getting him to wear penny loafers?

• The problem is that a lot of people left when Discourse happened. And most of them were the "cool new friends" in your story.

It's like... Imagine you had a treehouse. You hung out with friends, smoked cigarettes, drank beer and checked out stolen Playboys. Then, most of those friends moved someplace, and new kids started coming up to the treehouse. But those kids were good Catholics, so they burned your Playboys, threw out your cigs, and now hold a Bible reading every Sunday afternoon, and you can't do shit about it, because you're in a minority, and they still think it's cool to have a treehouse.

@Magus said:

There's unquestionably more Jeffism here, especially with how Jeffing threads around is apparently okay now.

Jeffing threads only bothers me to the extent of the spurious notifications it generates, tbh. I'm not worked up enough about badger/flagging talk to care whether it gets moved, although it does help with topic drift.

• @FrostCat said:

I'm not worked up enough about badger/flagging talk to care whether it gets moved, although it does help with topic drift.

This does make up the majority of the jeffing that occurs, and it was mostly due to the complaints of one user.

• @FrostCat said:

it does help with topic drift.

I'm always happy to help with topic drift.

What, that's not what you meant? Ok, never mind.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

I don't come here to talk to bots. I don't want fucking bots making posts. I don't want bots using the forumpointzzz features. I sure as fuck don't want bots telling me my post was hidden.

:rolleyes:

A lot of effort has been made to keep them away from you.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

If people post useless bullshit for some other reason, then let's find that and eliminate it, also.

I could get on board with this.

BRB...looking for all the videogame topics.

Filed Under: INB4 blakey-whoosh

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

I might be wrong, but I believe that, in this particular instance, he was talking about @PaulaBean

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/memory-holing-now-here-on-dailywtf-abusive-mods-ahoy/48763/28?u=onyx

Which... Yeah, that's how Discourse works. We could set it that @system sends PMs. Or @Discourse (though I don't know what that one actually is). But we can't prevent that completely, because this is not something we made.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Maciejasjmj said:

And that was the fun of it - one place where you could indulge in toxic hellstew of a discussion and not have mods barging in like a kindergarden teacher.

As one who has engaged in this then and now, it's still possible. However, I don't have these with everyone. It takes two to tango. There have been plenty of people willing to have arguments. We still have them here, regularly.

Not everyone on CS participated in them. Not everyone on Discourse participates in them. This is OK. We have a variety of conversations here. I think that's good.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Why would you choose to hang out with a cool new friend, then immediately devote all your efforts to getting him to wear penny loafers?

It's possible that you enjoy the friend but don't share all of his interests. Like I just said, this isn't a one note sort of place and it shouldn't be.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Jeffing threads only bothers me to the extent of the spurious notifications it generates, tbh.

I try not to Jeff stuff out of "normal" threads unless someone is asking for that. When a significant subthread develops in something like the status thread, I often pull it out so it can have its own place. Some keep going, others fizzle out.

Much of this activity has been because of @blakeyrat explicitly requesting it, and my cowardice in trying to prevent blowups like this.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

I might be wrong, but I believe that, in this particular instance, he was talking about @PaulaBean

Oh, you're probably right. In which case this is another retarded blakeyrant about stuff he doesn't understand. I'm looking forward to his rant about getting an emailed message from a do-not-reply account.

@Onyx said:

Which... Yeah, that's how Discourse works. We could set it that @system sends PMs. Or @Discourse (though I don't know what that one actually is). But we can't prevent that completely, because this is not something we made.

Look, he's an ass. We've tried contacting him directly. That hasn't worked. So we're going with the lower effort solution of using the system as intended: Doing It Right. Because the stress and annoyance of getting him to play nice with others gives us bullshit topics like this.

@Onyx said:

@PaulaBean is not a bot in the sense that all the others are - she's part of/representing the software itself. It'd be like complaining about @system posting messages.

The bots he talks about most of the time are 3rd party ones that have nothing to do with Discourse.

No idea why they're being conflated.

@Onyx said:

Or @Discourse (though I don't know what that one actually is).

That's just a bog-standard user account that hasn't been used for a while by whoever owns it.

• FoxDev

@PJH said:

No idea why they're being conflated

Well, there is only one user conflating the two…

• BINNED

I wasn't saying we should actually do it. Just listing the options.

And the discussion wasn't as bad until baiting started, from multiple people. Which is fine generally, but I hoped we'd avoid it here.

And I think there's really no solution that wouldn't involve either gutting the software, or the member base. And though I have no particular love for everything Discourse does, I think we're mostly using it well. Maybe not as intended, but well for our needs. And banning people left and right would go against the whole idea of "we don't moderate outside bare minimum here".

Any moderator action anywhere, ever, has and will be questioned. It's moderator's call in the end, every time.

What we have here is a clash of personalities, either real or personas. And there's no software that can solve that.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

quite a lot of effort, to the point that the bots that are based on sockbot code actually place more load on the server then they otehrwise would as they have to load an additional page of posts just to check to make sure the OP of a thread is not one of the two people the bot is programmed to ignore the threads of.

a feature that was demanded by exactly one person, a person who is not even a user of any of the bots nor is a contributor to the project.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

And banning people left and right would go against the whole idea of "we don't moderate outside bare minimum here".

Yeah, this is still the goal. But it's not like nothing ever happened to people back in CS days.

I never understood the massive outrage against @TunnelRat (completely different rat), but there you go.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

videogame topics.

I have those on mute and I'm a normal person so it doesn't bother me that someone starts talking video games in the middle of a different topic.

@boomzilla said:

I never understood the massive outrage against @TunnelRat (completely different rat), but there you go.

Probably the (perceived) racism he espoused when he went on about H1B's (he's still doing it btw.)

Example: http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/t/7108.aspx?PageIndex=1

News about one of his sites being pulled: http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/14425/211399.aspx

• ♿ (Parody)

@Luhmann said:

I have those on mute and I'm a normal person so it doesn't bother me that someone starts talking video games in the middle of a different topic.

I'm just trying to follow brother @blakeyrat's example and be outraged by things that don't entertain me.

@PJH said:

Probably the (perceived) racism he espoused when he went on about H1B's (he's still doing it btw.)

Oh, yes, I got that that was the complaint (and yes, I looked him up again after the import). And that's the sort of charge that ends up shutting down most immigration related discussions in the US. Oh, well.

• @PJH said:

That's just a bog-standard user account that hasn't been used for a while by whoever owns it.

Seriously? They didn't reserve /block that username?

• FoxDev

@Onyx said:

What we have here is a clash of personalities, either real or personas.

It's more than that…

• I'm the only one who gets it in the neck whenever bots are mentioned, despite there being up to a dozen people running them, including, of course, at least one TL4, and despite the fact that no-one except me ever summons my bots, only one of which will reply anyway, and only to a properly crafted command
    • I'm the only one that's been threatened with violence for using emoji
    • Even the tiniest errors I make are seized upon for yet more abuse
    • I have felt compelled to take drastic measures just to remain here and enjoy it, and even that didn't work; instead, I ended up taking out frustrations on @abarker, @loopback0, and @FrostCat, and that was neither right nor fair

And what do I do to deserve all that? Nothing. Hell, I've even called people out for blakeybaiting. Yet every post I make, there's that nagging sensation in the back of my mind that, no matter how innocuous, it's only a matter of time before it's seized upon as yet another opportunity to hurl abuse.

So far, I've been staying out of this debate; I can't exactly call myself unbiased, after all. But I will say this: it is clear that @blakeyrat has a problem with me specifically. So I issue this to him:

@blakeyrat. If you have a problem with me, address me directly.

@RaceProUK said:

@blakeyrat. If you have a problem with me, address me directly.

Didn't you hide his posts?

• FoxDev

Turned that off two days ago.

• He's clearly an asshole. He's that kind that does it to Se your reaction. Blocking him is the only action you can do.
    Well, that or a temp ban, but that rests on @pjh,right?

• FoxDev

@swayde said:

Blocking him is the only action you can do.

That's what I thought; however, it's impractical. Plus, I can't apply Stylish rules on my WinPhone.
    @swayde said:
    temp ban

I'd rather there be no banning at all

@swayde said:

Seriously? They didn't reserve /block that username?

@system is the only one 'out of the box' as it were..

@swayde said:

Well, that or a temp ban, but that rests on @pjh,right?

Not solely, no.

• @accalia said:

quite a lot of effort, to the point that the bots that are based on sockbot code actually place more load on the server then they otehrwise would as they have to load an additional page of posts just to check to make sure the OP of a thread is not one of the two people the bot is programmed to ignore the threads of.

Am I supposed to feel bad about this?

You know if you took my advice and turned off the bots, then they'd have to make ZERO load on the server. That's what I've been advocating since day one.

So if "load on the server" is suddenly this horrible awful thing you should shame people for, uh, well maybe turn that firehose back the other way.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

who suck-up to Atwood at every turn

Who does this? Seriously, who does this?

Filed under: Today's blakeyfact is brought to you by...

@blakeyrat said:

If people post useless bullshit for some other reason, then let's find that and eliminate it, also.

Be careful here. Some would consider blakeyfacts to be a subset of useless bullshit.

(This may have been implicitly :hanzo:'d.)

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Am I supposed to feel bad about this?

honestly at this point i don't care sweet FA if you feel bad about it or not.

I get the bots annoy you. and if you had been polite about matters i might even have said that i'd had my fun and turned them off when you first complained about them.

but the bots don't annoy everyone here, one of them is heavily used and the people who use it keep it restricted to the one or two threads where they want their graphs of how their e-peens are growing.

@blakeyrat said:

You know if you took my advice and turned off the bots, then they'd have to make ZERO load on the server.

yes, but then we wouldn't have the likes of ShadowMod to give us those graphs, or Zoidberg to deliver funny futurama quips from time to time.

Todo was a bit annoying, but i just made it stop responding to mentions so its usage should become restricted to PMs

that leaves us with the autolikers and i'm not the only one who runs them, and a fair few of the autolikers are run by a completely different code base. Since you dont' play forum gamez in /t/1k they shouldn't bother you at all.

@blakeyrat said:

if we let anyone define what useless bullshit was this forum would have a grand total of 0 posts and 0 active users, because we're not going to agree with everyone on what a useless post is.

• @RaceProUK said:

But I will say this: it is clear that @blakeyrat has a problem with me specifically.

That's not only not "clear", but not true at all.

I have a lot of issues with stuff you post, but I have no issues with you as a person, and when you're not polluting the forum with bullshit we've had several perfectly normal conversations here.

Look, the day I made the post that started this shit, you had to be warned out of the SAME THREAD for posting the SAME BULLSHIT twice in 24 hours. Then you'd posted that crap misinformation about Windows having a user folder, which is criminal because it's the exact kind of misinformation that leads to ALL OF US having to deal with crappy, buggy, broken software in the future. And that's despite me knowing for a fact you'd been corrected on that already several times.

So here's the deal: if you engage in dumb behaviors, I'm going to call you dumb. If you demonstrate a distinct lack of any kind of long-term memory, I'm going to insult your memory. That's because I'm 40 mega-Hitlers.

The reason I didn't bring it up with you personally is that you're the kind of person who would get a goon squad to send a bot to silence me. And... oh hey! That's exactly what happened!

• @accalia said:

honestly at this point i don't care sweet FA if you feel bad about it or not.

Good! That's a healthy attitude to have!

We'll get you using the Internets like a champ in no time at all.

@accalia said:

Zoidberg to deliver funny futurama quips from time to time.

Ah! This must be a new definition of the word "funny" of which I was not previously aware!

@accalia said:

if we let anyone define what useless bullshit was this forum would have a grand total of 0 posts and 0 active users,

Awesome. Goal of destroying Discourse: achieved.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

This must be a new definition of the word "funny" of which I was not previously aware!

Don't blame anyone else for your distinct and utter lack of humor. We could all get along better if you would stop blaming others for your own mistakes.

That said: I enjoyed a few of the other discussions these days, and I gave you likes for them. Make of that what you like.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@blakeyrat said:

As I've said a billion times, I don't care if people derail my topics. I only care if people start typing boring shit nobody sane could ever possibly care about in my topics.

That is all well and good, but who gets to decide that? Presumably you do. So, you end up with a situation where someone wants to have fun, but they have to verify who the author of the thread is before they do so. That's not cool.

I know you get annoyed at the fox/hedgehog antics. No one else sees it as a big deal though. We are all nerds here. We all have something about us that society in general is likely to deem "weird". We need to all feel free to let our geek flag fly if we want to be a community of nerds. If someone tried to start a community of only well-adjusted, "normal" IT professionals, there would be like three people. And they would all be boring.

Just chill out. I know you are capable of it. When you and I have PM conversations, you are always quite agreeable. Perhaps a bit terse at times, but always pleasant. Let that side of you come out on the public forums. Please.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Good! That's a healthy attitude to have!

no, it really isn't. but i can see how you would think that.

@blakeyrat said:

Ah! This must be a new definition of the word "funny" of which I was not previously aware!

It may come as a surprise to you but you and i have a very different definition of what funny is.

@blakeyrat said:

Awesome. Goal of destroying Discourse: achieved.

you'd just kill one of the hydra heads. two more would sprout to take it's place. you need to attack the root of the problem (meta.d) to succeed there.

• FoxDev

Before I respond to individual points, first, I want to thank you for taking the time to respond the way you did; I'll be honest, I was expecting a lot worse.

@blakeyrat said:

That's not only not "clear", but not true at all.

It doesn't feel that way sometimes. But then that may be me being over-sensitive to it.
    @blakeyrat said:
    I have a lot of issues with stuff you post, but I have no issues with you as a person, and when you're not polluting the forum with bullshit we've had several perfectly normal conversations here.

Undeniably true; I can't recall any details, but I do recall that sort of discussion happening.
    @blakeyrat said:
    Look, the day I made the post that started this shit, you had to be warned out of the SAME THREAD for posting the SAME BULLSHIT twice in 24 hours.

I'd be grateful if you could remind me of which posts those were; it's no secret I'm pretty noisy, and it makes remembering what's where very difficult.
    @blakeyrat said:
    Then you'd posted that crap misinformation about Windows having a user folder, which is criminal because it's the exact kind of misinformation that leads to ALL OF US having to deal with crappy, buggy, broken software in the future. And that's despite me knowing for a fact you'd been corrected on that already several times.

I don't mind being wrong. I'm not going to react badly if someone corrects me; in fact, I'm glad people do correct me, because then I can learn. And I love to learn.
    What I object to is blanket accusations of LIAR and the constant insulting of my intelligence. The fact is you don't know me well enough to judge my intelligence levels; no-one here does. Equally, the reverse applies; that's why I normally refer to the ideas and practices as 'stupid' rather than the people.
    @blakeyrat said:
    So here's the deal: if you engage in dumb behaviors, I'm going to call you dumb. If you demonstrate a distinct lack of any kind of long-term memory, I'm going to insult your memory.

I guess I can learn to put up with that.
    @blakeyrat said:
    That's because I'm 40 mega-Hitlers.

Now you're just being silly.
    @blakeyrat said:
    The reason I didn't bring it up with you personally is that you're the kind of person who would get a goon squad to send a bot to silence me.

I'm not looking to silence you, or for that matter, anyone. Yes, I CSS'd away your posts for a day or so, but that was more so I could take a step back and regain perspective. That now done, I can see that I was getting too flag-happy, and I just need thicker skin.
    @blakeyrat said:
    And... oh hey! That's exactly what happened!

If you're talking about the thread you opened this thread about, it's already been explained that that was removed by request; I wasn't involved any step of the way. And as far as I'm aware, no post I've ever flagged has been removed. Relocated, maybe, but then they're flags for off-topic; I've flagged myself a couple of times for that.

At the end of the day, I'm a pretty reasonable person. I like to think I'm approachable, and that if someone has a genuine grievance, then they are able to raise that with me and we'd sort it out between us; @Kuro knows from experience I can be very reasonable. So don't be afraid to PM me if you want to; I give you my word, I'll treat those messages as private as this Chaos-damned software allows me to.

And just… relax, eh? No need to take things so seriously all the time; life's too short to get stressed, so let's just kick back, chill out, and have a bit of fun. Hell, the only reason I'm as active as I am is because I enjoy being here!

Anyway, I'm going to draw a line here; a fresh start, a new beginning. Let's make it a little bit less shit than before, eh?

• @RaceProUK said:

I'd be grateful if you could remind me of which posts those were; it's no secret I'm pretty noisy, and it makes remembering what's where very difficult.

Yeah, that was the joke.

@RaceProUK said:

I don't mind being wrong. I'm not going to react badly if someone corrects me; in fact, I'm glad people do correct me, because then I can learn. And I love to learn.

Right but... you'd been corrected on the Windows home folder thing several times and you haven't learned it yet. How long does it take?

@RaceProUK said:

What I object to is blanket accusations of LIAR and the constant insulting of my intelligence.

If I know someone has been exposed to the truth, and they still repeat the bullshit, I say they're a liar instead of saying they're wrong. Because it's funnier.

My only estimation of your intelligence is based on your writings here.

@RaceProUK said:

I'm not looking to silence you, or for that matter, anyone.

And yet it somehow happened. I guess magical elves are the culprit! Oh wait that's just silly-dilly.

@RaceProUK said:

If you're talking about the thread you opened this thread about,

No, that was a whole different ball of crap.

I'm referring to the post that the mods send a bot after me to tell me it was hidden.

@RaceProUK said:

And just… relax, eh?

I'm never not relaxed.

Let me ask you a question. This is Lewis Black, he's a comedian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZh51bDuCmE

Do you believe that during his act, Lewis Black is genuinely angry?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@blakeyrat said:

Do you believe that during his act, Lewis Black is genuinely angry?

Does his act involve going off the stage and telling Security he wants half the audience removed and the whole building remodelled?

• @Yamikuronue said:

Does his act involve going off the stage and telling Security he wants half the audience removed and the whole building remodelled?

It might if the audience was throwing rocks at him instead of laughing.

Look, I enjoy a good blakeyrant. I'm quite interested in the 4k thread, for example. But threads like this make it sound like you're on a crusade to get everyone who wasn't one of the most frequent posters on the old forums banned. That's just not cool.

This forum is having a September moment; there's lots of new blood, there's lots of experimenting and new conversation, it's significantly more active than it was. You can roll with it and keep doing your thing, or you can throw a tantrum and demand that all those Freshers be banned forever so you and your friends can keep feeling elite. Which do you think will work better?

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@blakeyrat said:

It might if the audience was throwing rocks at him instead of laughing.

Yet, if everyone stopped laughing...he would change his act or be out of a job. I don't know of anyone here who is laughing.

• @Yamikuronue said:

You can roll with it and keep doing your thing, or you can throw a tantrum and demand that all those Freshers be banned forever so you and your friends can keep feeling elite. Which do you think will work better?

I'm doing both simultaneously.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

And yet it somehow happened.

That's something you'll have to take up with the mods; I have no control over what they do.
    @blakeyrat said:
    I'm referring to the post that the mods send a bot after me to tell me it was hidden.

Without knowing what post that was, I can't really comment.

Yeah, and the tantrum half is getting fucking old already. Much older than the random furry lesbian thing in my book.

• @Polygeekery said:

I don't know of anyone here who is laughing.

Right; that's because this forum is full of the kind of people who think stale rehashes from a 14-year-old cartoon are hilarious.