Windows needs an undo button.

• Banned

@Onyx said:

NOREPRO WORKS_ON_MY_MACHINE

Now install Skype.

• Banned

@Onyx said:

And every decent window manager ever has a feature where you can hold a modifier button, click anywhere on the window and move it that way.

That's why I don't use decent window managers - they piss me off with random features you can't disable far too often. Alt-moving of windows is like the middle-click-to-open-link-in-clipboard Firefox and Chrome do on minority systems.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Last time I had to use Pulse it was fucking terrible. It would just randomly break itself after working fine for weeks. No rhyme or reason to it, just, suddenly, audio's gone or choppy.

• BINNED

@Gaska said:

Now install Skype.

It worked while I had it installed. I don't now, because I start the thing like once a month usually, and I didn't need it since I reinstalled my sistem. I'll install it next time I actually need it again.

@Gaska said:

That's why I don't use decent window managers - they piss me off with random features you can't disable far too often.

Like this?

I never saw a WM that doesn't have that option configurable.

@Gaska said:

middle-click-to-open-link-in-clipboard Firefox and Chrome do on minority systems

Huh? Which minor systems? On Linux middle click is just "paste from secondary clipboard". I'm not aware of any input boxes that hijack this.

@Yamikuronue said:

Last time I had to use Pulse it was fucking terrible.

It was. Usually it was Flash that killed it. For like last two-ish years I had no problems with it, other than in some legacy applications that don't handle it well. pasuspender usually helps with those though.

• Java Dev

@ben_lubar said:

The easiest way to know is that when you alt-tab you don't have to wait for the game to minimize itself - the OS just swaps another window in front.

It also means that if they guess wrong, you get a window that covers part of your screen instead of fucking up all the window positioning on your screen.

And if you have a multi-monitor setup, the second monitor reliably stays visible. If the game uses a mouse cursor, it is typically not imprisoned, and you can do stuff like operate your voice-chat program with the mouse.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Onyx said:

Usually it was Flash that killed it.

Argh, now I'm having Flash-backs :rimshot:

• BINNED

I just trained my brain to default to this for that word:

See? Much better.

• kills Dumbledore

@Gaska said:

Windows 8 has a cool feature that when your window is partially off-screen, if you put mouse pointer on the edge of screen where the window is and try to move beyond the edge, the window will gradually come back within screen space.

What? I've never heard of this, and unless I'm misunderstanding you, it doesn't do shit on my Windows 8 box.

1. Move an Explorer window to the side until the edge is off the screen
    2. Move the mouse to the edge where the Explorer window is overhanging
      23423423423. ???

No movement.

• @Onyx said:

Huh? Which minor systems? On Linux middle click is just "paste from secondary clipboard". I'm not aware of any input boxes that hijack this.
    On Linux, browser autoscrolling (middle-click sets an anchor, move cursor away and you scroll that way) is disabled by default. Instead, you paste from the secondary clipboard, which if there's no input focus (and there usually isn't) causes them to try to navigate there.

And it's really fucking annoying.

• BINNED

Huh. I guess I should test that on Chrome / FF. Opera doesn't do that. Though scrolling is broken in 15+ anyway. Bastards.

• @aliceif said:

Both. ZSNES has one of the weirdest GUIs ever and you're doing it wrong for still using it - it hasn't been maintained for ages and lags far behind in terms of accuracy.

I haven't read any further down the topic but is there any other emulator that lets you navigate the menus with a gamepad?

• Banned

@Onyx said:

I never saw a WM that doesn't have that option configurable.

Well, I must have missed this option for the last four years. Thanks!

@Jaloopa said:

What? I've never heard of this, and unless I'm misunderstanding you, it doesn't do shit on my Windows 8 box.

Move an Explorer window to the side until the edge is off the screen
    Move the mouse to the edge where the Explorer window is overhanging
    ???

No movement.

Hmm, iunno, maybe you have to enable it somehow? I accidentally stumbled upon it during ten-minute session on friend's computer, which was a very small laptop with W8 preinstalled - maybe it was pre-enabled by producer? Or maybe he has some bloatware that does it for him (though I doubt that one)?

@Onyx said:

Huh. I guess I should test that on Chrome / FF. Opera doesn't do that.

That's the one and only reason I ever turned my eye on Opera. And it made me switch to Opera for good. UI is terrible, some pages don't load, but it's still worth it. Mind you, it was few years ago, when Opera 15+ didn't support Linux yet (does it now?).

• BINNED

@Gaska said:

Mind you, it was few years ago, when Opera 15+ didn't support Linux yet (does it now?).

• mednafen has no menus.

• Banned

Saying "yes" - 3 bytes.
    Posting unnecessary screenshot - 517069 bytes.
    I'm just glad you haven't included XML anywhere in the process - the digital waste would be counted in megabytes then.

• Can't you just about:config that?

• Banned

@aliceif said:

Can't you just about:config that?

On Firefox, the setting gets reset periodically, and it's awfully hard to find to start with. On Chrome, there's no setting for that at all.

• BINNED

@Gaska said:

I'm just glad you haven't included XML anywhere in the process - the digital waste would be counted in megabytes then.

Could have embedded it in an SVG for you?

I was too lazy to format the output for Duckhorse. Next time I'll just give you a lmgtfy link.

• ♿ (Parody)

@TwelveBaud said:

On Linux, browser autoscrolling (middle-click sets an anchor, move cursor away and you scroll that way) is disabled by default. Instead, you paste from the secondary clipboard, which if there's no input focus (and there usually isn't) causes them to try to navigate there.

I remember having this issue on Opera 12 (though I turned it off a long time ago). I don't remember this ever happening on FF or Chrome. I just tested it in both and it didn't happen.

• @aliceif said:

mednafen

I found the website and read it and now I can't stop vomiting, pls halp

• BINNED

@Gaska said:

Do you mean Skype or Skype for Business?
    At least it has a (moving)

• @hungrier said:

I found the website and read it and now I can't stop vomiting, pls halp

What's so bad about it?

• Banned

@aliceif said:

What's so bad about it?

Possibly the early 2000s look.

• @Onyx said:

I use higan, personally. Works great for anything other than GBA. Then again, I haven't been able to set the BIOS up properly, so that's probably where the slowness comes from.

I have a GBA BIOS set up in higan. It's still bad at GBA. Lags on Metroid: Fusion like you wouldn't believe using hardware that was fairly high-end just a few years ago.

Mind you, the emulator says its still running at 60fps while its lagging.

• @ben_lubar said:

Why is borderless fullscreen windowed not the default option on every game ever?

It tends to be slower as the graphics card still has to draw all the windows behind it even though they're not currently visible.

• But what about those of us who bought multiple TITANs when bitcoin mining via GPU was still worthwhile?

We have to use our rendering power somehow!

Filed under: I don't have a working desktop PC, though. Nor do I have Bitcoins

• Banned

@powerlord said:

It tends to be slower as the graphics card still has to draw all the windows behind it even though they're not currently visible.

Not exactly. If the window manager is smart enough (and I think Windows Aero is), it should be able to perform occlusion culling and not draw anything except the game.

• @ben_lubar said:

Why is borderless fullscreen windowed not the default option on every game ever?

I dunno, but it really should be.

But Magicka is a shitty game so. One more reason it's shitty.

• Starting from the first sentence on the website:

Mednafen is a portable, utilizing OpenGL and SDL,
    >argument(command-line)-driven
    >multi-system
    emulator.

Then the Releases page

Windows 8 and newer will work, but their use is discouraged unless Mednafen is running in fullscreen mode.

:wtf:

[quote=How do I configure my joystick/keyboard?]To configure the virtual device on input port 1, press ALT+SHIFT+1. For the virtual device on input port 2, press ALT+SHIFT+2. Etc.

[...]

After pressing the appropriate hotkey or hotkey combination, a message will be displayed at the bottom of the screen similar to "GamePad #1: A (1)". At this time, you would press the physical joystick or keyboard button you would wish to map to button "A" on the first virtual gamepad. After you push the button, you should see something like "GamePad #1: A (2)". If you want to map any other physical buttons to virtual button "A", press them now. Otherwise, press the physical joystick or keyboard button you pressed before, and you will move on to the configuration of the next virtual button("B").

To configure a hotkey, press "F2", and then the hotkey whose mapping you wish to change. The process is similar to that for a virtual input device.[/quote]

http://what.thedailywtf.com/uploads/default/_emoji/wtf.png?v=0

Even if the emulation is good (which, being a multi-system emulator, isn't likely), "discouraging" modern OSes and taking interface cues from vim is not the way to go.

• @accalia said:

GTAV for PC it is.

I believe (95% sure) World of Tanks uses it by default, and I think the last few newer MMOs I've tried defaulted to it also.

The problem is game developers are still fucking awful. Some of them probably think there's still some sort of performance penalty for it, like it's 1998 all over again. Since game developers work off more mysticism and luck than, you know, actually knowing anything about computers.

• @hungrier said:

taking interface cues from vim

It doesn't have vi's weird mode system.

• @Gaska said:

Changing your desktop's resolution happens in both real and windowed fullscreen.

Lies. Wrong.

The entire POINT of windowed fullscreen is that the game fills the screen (at desktop resolution) but doesn't ask the OS for exclusive access to it-- which means stuff like Alt-Tab just fucking works correctly without the game crashing half the time because terrible shitty game developers always fuck it up.

It's basically the same as normal windowed, but it's a borderless window sized to fill the monitor exactly.

• @blakeyrat said:

It's basically the same as normal windowed, but it's a borderless window sized to fill the monitor exactly.

And set to be in front of the task bar, etc ...

• Mednafen is a portable, utilizing OpenGL and SDL, argument(command-line)-driven multi-system emulator.

Why do you people always recommend software you can tell is shit from the FIRST SENTENCE ON THEIR WEBPAGE?!

Jesus.

• @aliceif said:

mednafen has no menus.

@hungrier said:

argument(command-line)-driven

Jesus Christ, it manages to be less convenient than hooking up the system and physically coming up and swapping the cartridge every time you want to play a different game?

GUIs! Menus! Configuration dialogs! For fuck's sake!

• You have a 1000+ lines config file, though ...

• @powerlord said:

OH MAN I TOTALLY SAW THAT ONE COMING!

No it isn't slower, it's not 1998, we've moved beyond 3DFX Voodoo 3 cards, please stop using the TimePod.

• I'll bet it's well-documented and consistent between ver--

Mednafen's configuration file name has changed to "mednafen-09x.cfg" for 0.9.x releases, due to a large number of backwards-incompatible setting-related changes.

Oh

• FoxDev

@powerlord said:

Not for those of us on an OS made after the discovery of fire…

• It has been 0.9x for, what, 5 years already?

• @aliceif said:

You have a 1000+ lines config file, though ...

I take it back.

It's probably easier to buy a bag of transistors and recreate SNES with a soldering iron and a sizable piece of cardboard than to use this.

• @blakeyrat said:

OH MAN I TOTALLY SAW THAT ONE COMING!

No it isn't slower, it's not 1998, we've moved beyond 3DFX Voodoo 3 cards, please stop using the TimePod.

It is slower and I can actually see the difference using dual nVidia 570s from a few years ago.

Then again, I also tend to set graphics options as high as they will go.

• @aliceif said:

And set to be in front of the task bar, etc ...

You can actually do that with any window in Windows. But ... don't. Or I'll fucking kill you.

• @aliceif said:

You have a 1000+ lines config file, though ...

It's 2015. There should be ZERO lines of config file.

#IT IS NOT 1982 ANYMORE THIS SHIT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

• FoxDev

@powerlord said:

nVidia 570

@powerlord said:
    set graphics options as high as they will go

I think I see your problem ;)

• @powerlord said:

It is slower and I can actually see the difference using dual nVidia 570s from a few years ago.

I don't give a shit if you can "see" it, human senses are complete trash. The question is: can you measure it?

• @aliceif said:

It has been 0.9x for, what, 5 years already?

I don't know, has it? I didn't go digging into their version history, I just went to the Releases page where they offer downloads of the current version.

• You look angered.

• Mednafen can record audiovisual movies in the QuickTime file format, with several different lossless codecs supported.

Haha they're just piling-up the WTFs.

Due to the threaded model of emulation used in Mednafen, and limitations of SDL, a joystick is preferred over a keyboard to play games, as the joystick will have slightly less latency,

"Oh BTW this game library we picked is totally broken for keyboards, so. Uh. Yeah."

When using ALSA sound output under linux, the "sound.device" setting "default" is Mednafen's default, AKA "hw:0", not ALSA's "default". If you want to use ALSA's "default", use "sexyal-literal-default".

When I think "sexy" I think CLI game emulator. Don't use the default, use the SEXY default! Oh yeah baby!

Also they ship it configured to not use the default, makes sense. That's what the word "default" means after-all.