WebAPI returning 415 before it ever reaches a line of code in my controller...

• ♿ (Parody)

@KillaCoder said:

I just enjoy seeing senseless, baseless, yet for some reason intense rage.

It's fun sometimes. But like any bit of comedy, timing is important. A one note performance always gets old. Blakey's not quite that bad, but it can seem that way sometimes.

• FoxDev

@flabdablet said:

And as long as nobody doxxed him

we did do that once, accidentally.... i forget who it was that looked at the EXIF data that wasn't supposed to be there but someone did and.... well that didn't end well.

@flabdablet said:

Well, maybe it could be, for a month or two

Venom is never funny. not unless we are talking about the Spiderman villain.

• FoxDev

@KillaCoder said:

Seeing Mr Blakey scream abuse at someone for posting a freaking GIF just makes me lo

i'l admit that was interesting, and i didn't even post it in reply to his topic! it was in reply to a right fine bon mot by @RaceProUK! :-D

• FoxDev

@Jaloopa said:

You know who else was amused by rage? The Nazis! WWII was one giant troll.

i have got to finish making the bots for @hitler, @hilter, and @godwin.....

• kills Dumbledore

I'll just keep occasionally Godwinning topics to remind you then

• FoxDev

@Jaloopa said:

I'll just keep occasionally Godwinning topics to remind you then

that will work.

• kills Dumbledore

@accalia said:

work

Arbeit macht frei

• FoxDev

restored title to as close to original as i could remember.

• @accalia said:

Venom is never funny. not unless we are talking about the Spiderman villain.

Some people do find it funny though. Depends on your humour.

• @accalia said:

Venom is never funny.

Meanwhile, there's a running joke on here about hitting people with a bat. Look, I know you have an issue with how blakey expresses himself, but I honestly don't get why it's so hard to accept the guy for who he is. Or another way to put this: it's hard to tell the difference between trolling and actual issues on here, and if someone makes a thread about how they thought they knew where the boundaries were, so why are people trampling all over them, and the same group of people that have been hounding him all over the forum take that as another opportunity to bring their “you're so stupid” “nobody likes you” “why are you even here?” taunting, trying to get him kicked off the forum, I find that rather worrying.

• FoxDev

@Buddy said:

I honestly don't get why it's so hard to accept the guy for who he is

For the most part, we do. But when someone genuinely asks for genuine help, it's not unreasonable to expect a bit of decorum. From both sides, of course.

Everyone on here is a persona, in one way or another, varying in proximity to their true selves. No-one seriously thinks @accalia is really a kitsune, or that I'm a spiny insectivore. Similarly, I seriously doubt anyone really thinks blakey is an obnoxious arsehole. But on here, we cultivate these personas, and have fun with them.

But when someone genuinely asks for help, then the persona should be switched off too, or at least dialled down. It's OK to be a little terse; text is really shit at conveying emotion, and most will just brush off a little brusqueness every now and then. Just don't go thermonuclear, that's all ;)

And the ClueBat™ has been around a lot longer than Discourse. Or TDWTF, for that matter 😜

• To be fair... I usually come in too late to see the flames develop in realtime, and when you are done reading the entire thread and if you get past the angriness, he is most often Not Wrong. Yes, he plays his cards closer than most others, and keeps a few cards up his sleeve too, but the Not Wrong bit warrants him a bit more leeway.

Not that I am prepared to hold my punches because of that, but I cannot write him off as just a rabid ego.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Buddy said:

but I honestly don't get why it's so hard to accept the guy for who he is.

Because what you see on here isn't who he is. Even when he's asking for 'legitimate' help - he can't seem to turn his TDWTF persona off.

@Buddy said:

[blah] taunting, trying to get him kicked off the forum

Wot?

• @PJH said:

he can't seem to turn his TDWTF persona off.

That's because the first 3-4 replies made (the person behind Blakeyrat) genuinely angry. Go back and re-read how useless they are. RaceProUK obviously knows nothing about WebAPI, yet he was posting like a condescending dick anyway and giving entirely wrong information.

I was the only one attempting to keep talking about the problem after everybody else went into "dogpile on Blakeyrat" mode and spammed the shit out of the thread. (As it turns out, the answer I came up with is incomplete-- but damned if I'm going to ask for more help here. My mental checklist of "ways this forum is 40,000 times inferior to the old one" just got a few dozen more checks.)

And then the lead/only moderator's in here telling me I'm the problem-- sorry? Did you read RaceProUK's replies? Did you see the fucking popcorn gif?

@PJH said:

Wot?

You have a short memory.

• Here's some quick rules for Coding Help:

1. If you don't know anything about any of the technologies involved, don't post.

2. If you think the OP doesn't contain enough information to solve the problem, either ask clarifying questions (super Blakeyrat pro-tip: questions end in question marks) or don't post.

3. If you're incapable of responding to the person who asked the question without being a complete dick, don't post.

4. Before the question's reasonably answered, don't post the stupid forum games bullshit (for example, popcorn gifs.)

5. It's possible for people to be knowledgeable and well-rounded and still not know (for example) particularities of how a specific code library handles different ContentTypes, or what settings in an IIS XML configuration file could cause various HTTP errors to be returned. The poster isn't "dumb" because he doesn't know these things; he's "inexperienced" because this is the first time he's had to solve this particular problem. Remember, people who are employed by someone to do a task generally do not have a choice in what tools/libraries they use.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

RaceProUK obviously knows nothing about WebAPI, yet he was posting like a condescending dick anyway and giving entirely wrong information.

I gave you correct information based off the meagre scraps you deemed sufficient. If you still want to labour under the delusion that you provided enough info, then go ahead.

And I think you'll find you're in a pretty tiny minority too.

• ♿ (Parody)

1. Don't be a dick if someone tries to help but didn't understand (or you don't understand what they said) or whatever.

• @blakeyrat said:

That's because the first 3-4 replies made (the person behind Blakeyrat) genuinely angry.

I can see how some of @RaceProUK's early replies could come off condescending (see his second post). There was already tension between the two by post 6, and @blakeyrat's forum persona was showing through by that time.

Then @accalia's popcorn gif (which was honestly ill-timed)* just fanned the flames, and @blakeyrat's persona came out in full force.

On the other hand, I can also see that the OP did not have quite enough information to know what the correct fix would be. I can see how @RaceProUK felt like he gave a correct answer and that he was right. It seems to me that there is fault on both sides.

In short, I'd suggest the following:

1. Keep the personas to a minimum in Coding Help. They won't help anything. In fact, they'll most likely just derail everything.
    2. Keep the egos out of it. If you let your ego get involved, then you are likely to get pissed. That leads to flaming, and then nothing gets resolved.
    3. Keep to the topic. If your post doesn't help answer the topic, then don't hit the Reply button. Coding Help isn't here for entertainment, it's here for actual help. If you want entertainment or trolling, or to post a meme, that's what the rest of the forum is for.

* Edit: I really think the GIF was mostly just bad timing on @accalia's part. It appears to have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

• FoxDev

@abarker said:

I can see how some of @RaceProUK's early replies could come off condescending (see his second post).

More first post, now I read it again. Still doesn't excuse being shat on like that though.

• @RaceProUK said:

More first post, now I read it again. Still doesn't excuse being shat on like that though.

I wasn't trying to excuse you or @blakeyrat. Just trying to explain my conclusions, and the reasoning for the rules I suggested.

• It's not about the amount of information provided, read the question again. The question is, "how do I debug this?" It was not, "fix this for me", or even, "how do I fix this?"

I feel like I'm typing in Martian. Did anybody replying here read the actual question?

• FoxDev

And one of the many techniques for debugging web apps is to look at the HTTP headers. Which, I believe, was my first reply.

• @blakeyrat said:

It's not about the amount of information provided, read the question again. The question is, "how do I debug this?" It was not, "fix this for me", or even, "how do I fix this?"

And he asked if you looked at the HTTP headers. Later he asked you to share the HTTP headers. Both to help with debugging.

@blakeyrat said:

Did anybody replying here read the actual question?

Yes, and then I read about a dozen more posts before constructing my post. Sorry if I got one little detail wrong. Sorry for saying "fix" instead of "assist". Though at this point you're picking at little mistakes from people who are actually trying to help resolve the situation. You do realize that, don't you?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Check WHERE? What settings? What does "correct" mean?

Man, this sort of thing drives me crazy. I spent the last few days trying to figure something out, and there was a lot of "implement buzzword" or "use configuration." But usually no indication of which file you had to put what. I was ready to punch people.

However, this bit:

@blakeyrat said:

That is the opposite of useful.

...is obviously a bit put offish.

@RaceProUK said:

You're developing a web application, and you don't know how to check request headers or server config?

I have no idea where to config something for my server (JBoss, not IIS) for why some media type might be unsupported. I'm sure it's obvious to some people here, and that's a general communication problem: who knows what?

It reminds me of the most dangerous words in a math class, "It is therefore obvious that..." Often it's accurate, but often it isn't.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

I have no idea where to config something for my server (JBoss, not IIS) for why some media type might be unsupported. I'm sure it's obvious to some people here, and that's a general communication problem: who knows what?

But equally, without knowing what webserver (I could assume IIS, but it's not guaranteed), I wouldn't be able to say where to look.

• ♿ (Parody)

@RaceProUK said:

But equally, without knowing what webserver (I could assume IIS, but it's not guaranteed), I wouldn't be able to say where to look.

Totally. It's hard to remember everything to include in a quick question in a dialog. Ideally, maybe it would have been something like, "What web server are you using? Have you checked anyconfiguration?"

And then the dialog continues.

Of course, even his title and OP are confusing. WebAPI sounds pretty generic. A quick google gives me something from MS ("Web API") and Mozilla ("WebAPI"). I think blakey is talking about the one with the space. Maybe I was supposed to read his mind.

• I suggest we form a committee to carefully examine the each post in the chain leading to the "incident", character by character. The three involved parties must also step forward and, under oath, submit their own version of events.

The work will then be split between multiple working groups, who will be isolated from one another, to prevent collusion and bias. They will form back together and produce a joint report, which will then be permanently enshrined in the TDWTF official FAQ. The involved parties will be meted out just punishments and dismissed from this thread, which will then be sealed as the lesson for all future generations.

The work will not be easy, gentlemen, but we must make sure this is the last flame war these forums will ever see. TDWTF must be made safe for democracy.

• FoxDev

@cartman82 said:

The three involved parties must also step forward and, under oath, submit their own version of events.

i believe considerably more than three parties were involved.... to you want any particular threee parties or just a random three?

• @accalia said:

i believe considerably more than three parties were involved.... to you want any particular threee parties or just a random three?

The steady hand of justice doesn't care for such trivialities.

• FoxDev

@cartman82 said:

The steady hand of justice doesn't care for such trivialities.

/me raises a paw

I solemnly swear i am up to no go... oh wait wrong oath.

i solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me Amaterasu

now that that's out of the way.... whatcha want?

• @accalia said:

i solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me AmateTiramisu

FTF... um, somebody.

• kills Dumbledore

@boomzilla said:

It reminds me of the most dangerous words in a math class, "It is therefore obvious that..." Often it's accurate, but often it isn't.

You can save a good couple of pages in a complicated maths proof with the lovely little word "similarly"

• Fake News

• "Hello, Newman".

• @cartman82 said:

TDWTF must be made safe for democracy.

Sooooo.... execute everyone in the thread, in the name of the revolution?

I assume we are going for "democracy" as in, "Democratic People's Republic" style :)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Jaloopa said:

You can save a good couple of pages in a complicated maths proof with the lovely little word "similarly"

Another good one for saving work is “wlog”.