Star trek: the animated series has cool aliens (the blakeyrat is watching star trek thread)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Drive: the Delta Flyer is used as a patsy by people who don't like that the races in the sector, who were engaged in wars, stopped. Apparently in the Delta Quadrant, it's not enough to just not want to mix with other species. Also, B'Elanna was starting to think she and Tom weren't a good fit for each other, and was acting out of character, i.e., meek. The sight of them having a honeymoon in the 'Flyer with literal strings of tin cans or something tied behind the ship made me want to use "site" at the front of the sentence.

Repression: Even though all the Maquis are long dead except the ones on Voyager, someone who previously brainwashed Tuvok used him to brainwash a bunch of the Maquis to try to take over the ship, abandon the Federation crew on a planet, and ... talk to the Underpants Gnomes about step 2, I guess, because they sure didn't seem to have any idea. "I know," they were probably thinking, "we'll abandon the Federation crew here, then fly the ship for the next 2 decades back to the Alpha quadrant and ... attack the Cardassians or something." Apparently they didn't see any flaw in this plan, which shows they were pretty stupid and probably deserved to get wiped out.

Critical Care: Who sent Sarah Palin back in time to 2000 to demonstrate why the IPAB was a bad thing via a poorly-written science fiction show?

Apparently the doctor was disappointed that he didn't find it unethical to threaten someone to obtain medicine for people who needed it for life-threatening illnesses from people who were using it for frivolous ends. An interesting episode in some ways but about as subtle as Threshold.

Also, a failed GIS on "unsubtle font" to make a joke about the script led me to this inappropriate and funny images:

https://silviakolbowski.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/subtlety-9.jpg

Inside Man: Ferengi hatch a stupid plot. Look, you wouldn't believe that someone could write something so banal if I tried to explain it. The only high point was watching a hologram of Barclay not act like he was overdue for an extended cutting session.

Body and Soul: the Red Dwarf episode "Bodyswap" was funnier. This is another episode showing the acting talent of Seven, who has the Doctor's program in her implants for part of the episode, and during that time, he's running the body. She did a good job chewing the scenery, which shows that the Seven part was mostly wasted on someone with actual talent.

Nightingale: Acting Captain Harry Kim would have proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and he'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Nightingale out of action.

• @blakeyrat said:

Anime sucks.

So does Star Trek, though.

It's only trolling if it's wrong.

• DS9: Far Beyond the Stars...

I always thought this episode would have been so much better without the wrapping story. Which adds nothing but stupid exposition as to how the Dominion war is going (but guess what? It's a stand-alone episode, so it doesn't matter.) And they'd get more time to develop their ideas in the 1950s reality. Either that, or they should have gone all the way and made it a 2-parter.

• DS9: In the Pale Moonlight

Garak: "You may have just saved the entire Alpha Quandrant, and all it cost was the life of a Romulan Senator, a criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I call that a bargain."

Sisko: "So... I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. ... because I can live with it. I can live with it... Computer, erase that entire personal log."

Vreenak's read of the line, "it's a faaaake!" is perhaps the best single line read in all of sci-fi.

@blakeyrat said:

Vreenak's read of the line, "it's a faaaake!" is perhaps the best single line read in all of sci-fi.

Maybe. Maybe. OTOH half the dialog here might give that line a run for money. "My dreams of conquest!"

"You fools! You are all doomed. Doomed! Ha ha ah ah ha!"

• When I was in college, DS9 did a holodeck episode where they get trapped in a James Bond world. And the trailer for that episode had Bashir and Sisko doing the great like:

Bashir: "Diabolical!"
    Sisko: "Visionary!"

Anyway my college buddies and I made fun of that line for the next, approximately, 9 years.

Flesh and Blood: "we are incapable of learning from mistakes, Voyager, so if you try to get involved in us hunting the prey that's already killed a bunch of us because we made it able to learn from its mistakes, we'll attack you."

Superman's Doomsday arc probably did the story better. Also, the holograms were needlessly Messianic.

Shattered: Oh god, Ceska. Other than that it wasn't too bad, for a Voyager episode.

Lineage: oh, yay, another "I overheard someone say about me and I misunderstood it in the most damaging way possible."

Repentance: who didn't figure out the "twist" right quick? To be fair, I think this episode handled the idea better than House did.

The Void: for some reason ti seems like there were several episodes like this. I guess this was probably the best of them.

Workforce: not bad, except that the premise is probably fairly unworkable. Nobody else in neighboring space has figured out for how long these people are pirate slavers? Not to mention this seems a fairly expensive way to get semi-skilled labor compared to advertising on other planets, and compared to automation.

This episode kind of validates my theory that people who write TV haven't spent much time in the real world, because they always have shadowy corporations doing ridiculously silly things.

Human error: this was better than TNG Barclay holo-addiction episodes. The emotional override seems like a deus ex machina, though.

Q2: Oh, we haven't seen Q in a couple of seasons. I didn't miss him.

@FrostCat said:

This episode kind of validates my theory that people who write TV haven't spent much time in the real world, because they always have shadowy corporations doing ridiculously silly things.

Shadowy corporations do do ridiculous things! Have you seen some of the adverts out there?

Author, author: the writers of this story were so ham-handed they actually had their hands amputated and replaced with live piglets.

• @FrostCat said:

Q2: Oh, we haven't seen Q in a couple of seasons. I didn't miss him.

Q shows up once in DS9. Sisko slugs him. He never comes back.

He was funny a couple of times, but the schtick wore off long ago.

I did have a moment of humor last night telling my son that was Discord, though.

Oh, also, for some reason he had really shaggy hair for him, in this episode.

• @FrostCat said:

Lineage: oh, yay, another "I overheard someone say about me and I misunderstood it in the most damaging way possible."

I know people who live their lives like that (unfortunately...)

• Saturday Nights¹ the family usually watches TOS when it comes on TV²

This Saturday is St. Valentines Day.

I will be preempting the broadcast and firing up "A Piece of the Action" from disk instead.

😃

1: 🎶 Saturday Nights, Saturday Nights 🎶

2: Yes. TV. Over the air - like magic on the talking box. Don't criticize - remember the Prime Directive....

3: Yes, I know, this episode is the TRWTF, but it's still fun.

• DS9 is probably the best of the Star Treks. But one of the annoying things it did was making travel back and forth to the Mirror Universe easy as hell. Like, ridiculously easy.

The mirror universe isn't that interesting, guys. (Although I did enjoy the Enterprise episode where they went there-- and there was a Gorn and a Constitution-class Defiant.)

Although this episode has some funny physical comedy with the stolen cloaking device that is also itself cloaked. EDIT: also I appreciate that the writers/SFX team remembered that in the Mirror Universe, DS9/Terok Nor still orbits Bajor. That would be an easy-to-miss detail for the SFX guys.

• The next episode of DS9 has the projectile weapon with the micro-transporter attached to it, so it can fire through walls. I love that episode. And the bits where Ezri has the x-ray specs and is zooming back and forth through solid walls looks really slick. I guess by this time TV shows would be starting to be able to afford decent CGI.

It also skewers the whole Vulcan logic thing in the way that Enterprise would do with T'Pol on an almost daily basis.

• @ijij said:

I will be preempting the broadcast and firing up "A Piece of the Action" from disk instead.

Back in the first season of TNG they were rehashing TOS storylines just about every week. They'd quit doing that later on when we found out about Picard's "Dixon Hill" hobby, but I kind of wished they'd had him visit Iotia.

• Ah, the series finale of Deep Space 9. Everybody gets a happy ending! Except Sisko. And Kasidy. And Kira. And Odo, really. And Kai Winn, and Dukat and Damar and Garak and Ziyal and pretty much the entire planet of Cardassia and...

Well I guess the zoom out with Kira and Jake is kind of nice I guess.

• I know this is a high bar, but this is probably the WORST actress to ever appear in a Star Trek episode:

The only good thing about her painfully bad performance is that she actually says "do you? do you really?" like Guy in Galaxy Quest, a character created specifically to make fun of bad guest actors in Star Trek. I am not kidding.

"But if you're really Harry, you wouldn't be trying so hard to get away from me!" It's like she's pronouncing every syllable individually. Like she's reading the cue cards for the first time after taking English as a Second Language from some Jupiterian school. It's amazing. She got paid for this. Paid money! (Or as MST3K would say, "And Introducing: Obviously the Producer's Girlfriend."

Is that the one where he is dreaming he's back on Earth with a girlfriend, as if he never was on Voyager?

• Voyager Season 2 is actually a very good season, taken as a whole.

The 37s, Projections (which was presented well even though the explanation behind it is gibberish), Twisted (ditto), Resistance, Prototype (classic Star Trek, could easily be an original series episode), Death Wish (classic Trek moral dilemma, Q before he got stupid/annoying), Lifesigns (more Robert Picardo = more awesome), Deadlock (risky, innovative story-telling, great "twist"), Innocence (more Tim Russ = more awesome), The Thaw, Tuvix (the kind of moral dilemma episode that could be taught in philosophy classes), Resolutions...

Really, there's only a few stinker episodes in that season, including the excrement that is Threshold. And even one of the stinkers, Meld, introduces an awesome character who will kick ass in the season finale. The rest is really, really solid. If Voyager could have kept up that momentum for the next 4 seasons, it might actually have been considered good.

Oh, and season 2 has virtually no holodeck! (Unless you count the virtual reality in The Thaw.) (Also excepting Projections, which is the rare holodeck episode actually done pretty well.)

• Also the start of season 3 has that cool episode where they go back and relive the events of Star Trek VI with Captain Sulu, that episode was pretty cool.

• I was watching DS9 last night and misheard Cardassians as Kardashians. Now I can't unhear it :facepalm:

@Boner said:

I was watching Keeping Up with the Cardassians last night

FTFY

• The Voyager episode "Real Life" is a holodeck episode that kind of works. Kind of.

• Voyager "Year of Hell" is actually quite good, even if it would have been better as a full season's worth. But maybe people would have gotten sick of it.

• Writer 1: "Ok, so... Janeway and Leonardo DaVinci (played by Gimli from Lord of the Rings) work to recover Voyager's computer core that was stolen during a mugging? Really?"

Writer 2: "Hey, last season when you wrote that episode where Janeway gets into a knife-fight with 3' tall hovering viruses in the world's strangest homage/parody of Alien, I didn't make a peep!"

Writer 1: "Ok, ok, fair point."

• You know I think I'd feel better about the holodeck episodes if they were literally just the crew fucking around in the holodeck, without the writers trying to make up some idiotic reason why the "safeties were off".

That said, Captain Proton is genuinely pretty funny. I love how Constance Goodheart's only line, EVER, is her screaming.

The safeties are off because all the engineers in that universe are utterly incompetent.

• @FrostCat said:

The safeties are off because all the engineers in that universe are utterly incompetent.

No kidding! With the way their power circuits blow up, it'd be a matter of seconds between the first application of energy warfare to a Starfleet ship and its total destruction ;P

Filed under: BHAAAAAALLLLLGOOOOORRRRRNNNNNN!!!!!

• The irony of my complaint is in that specific episode, Bride of Chaotica, the safeties are not actually turned-off at any point.

Instead, to "add tension", they made a race of hologram aliens that open a portal into the holodeck, somehow confuse it for reality, and go to war with Chaotica's army. Which is utterly ridiculous.

If you want to do a whole episode where the crew is just dicking around in a holodeck program, why not just do that? You don't need to add "element of danger" or any shit. Just do the story. It's ok.

@blakeyrat said:

If you want to do a whole episode where the crew is just dicking around in a holodeck program, why not just do that?

Well, for one thing, that wouldn't be dumb enough for the writing team that brought us Threshhold.

• Shows do shit like that all the time. X-Files' and Stargate SG-1's occassional comedy episodes, for example. Or that episode of Farscape which wasn't a comedy (oddly) but was animated in Looney Tunes style.

DS9 did it. They had that excellent episode where Jake was trying to buy a baseball card for his dad and butts head against the crazy dude who thinks people age because their cells get "bored".

@blakeyrat said:

Shows do shit like that all the time.

Sure, but this one is full of extra dumb, so my default guess for why dumb shit happens is "because the writers are extra dumb".

• Oh man. Course: Oblivion. One of the best Voyager episodes, an episode that does their huge twist-"ending" mindfuck a third of the way through and goes on to get even better.

• The episode The Voyager Conspiracy is pretty amazing. It's basically Seven coming up with insane conspiracy theories, all of which are based on the bad writing of the pilot episode and one special effects flub.

It's about 1 iota away from being a straightforward comedy episode.

• @blakeyrat said:

Threshold

God, I'd love a pepperoni pizza with Kavarian olives right now. I'm starving!

PS: the most bizarre thing happened while trying to select the quote text - I somehow made some of your post disappear? wtf? Had to refresh. weridest-ass bug to date.

@blakeyrat said:

The Voyager Conspiracy

I liked how she came up with two contradictory conspiracy theories from the same data.