Game Deals Thread

• For me, it depends on what I find entertaining at the time. I have two old external harddrives, one named "Millenium Destiny" and the other "Magical Destroy" - and I can't even remember what that was a reference to anymore.

My desktop is named "DARKFLAMEMASTER" in reference to something I do remember. It's part of what inspired me to go write an edgy name generator. (Which I may use for future devices)

• FoxDev

well since we're getting into that discussion....

i've already listed my android devices here.

by desktops are: Tsukiyomi (new), Amaterasu (old, but not yet decommissioned)

my servers hosted at my home for personal use are:

Shizune, Hanako, Lilly, Emi, and Rin (ok, technically Hanako is my NAS and lilly, emi and rin are VMs run by Shizune, but still)

My Laptops are Liara and Jadzia

and my surface 3 is Tali'Zorah

• @accalia said:

Lilly

One of these things is not like the others.

I'll be building a new desktop soon. Maybe I'll take a cue from you and go with Takemikazuchi.

Japanese gods have cool names.

• FoxDev

@Magus said:

One of these things is not like the others.

yes it is actually, and if you google you'll find out why five of the servers are named what they are.

• I see.

😆

Makes me wonder if the name allocation has any meaning :D

• FoxDev

@Magus said:

I see.

I see said the blind man, pissing into the wind, it's all coming back to me now

also this one, bit longer but also good.

One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    drew their swords and shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise
    and ran to save the two dead boys.
    And if you don't believe it's true,
    go ask the blind man, he saw it too.

• @blakeyrat said:

Antichamber is more annoying than interesting.

I grabbed it on the cheap and played for a bit. The concept is definitely interesting, though there seems to be a lot of moon logic involved - while I get that's the point, it doesn't really make for a good puzzler.

And it seems to be just short enough not to piss me off too badly, so there's that.

@blakeyrat said:

In comparison, Portal is like, "ok, it took me a couple minutes to figure it out and less than a minute to implement my solution, so if I do something wrong I can start it over with very little time/effort lost."

Yeah, but it's also freakishly easy, especially the first game. I re-played Portal and played 2 recently - I should do the highlights on that one sometime - and while it's a lot of fun, once you get the concept, you just breeze through the levels without even having to stop and think most of the time.

@JazzyJosh said:

Spacechem discussion. Go.

I do adore this game. Simple, but tough, and makes you think on your own solution instead of figuring out what trick the level designer used. And that's one of my biggest gripes with puzzle games - most of the time you're trying to figure out the creator, not the puzzle.

• That's a bit different than the one I remember.

Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps
    crosseyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants
    I stand here before you to stand behind you
    and tell you a story I know nothing about:

Last night, around six o'clock this morning
    a barefoot boy with shoes on stood sitting in the grass
    when a parked car, piled high with bricks
    sped around the corner of our driveway, killing our dead cat

We rushed it to the hospital and who should we see
    but King Arthur himself sitting at the corner of his round table
    eating vinegar with a fork.

Now if you don't believe this lie is true, just ask the blind man
    he saw it too.

It took me a while to remember this one, and I had to do a google search and stitch together the lines from alternate versions. This is the one my dad liked to say. Apparently there are innumerable variations.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Yeah, but it's also freakishly easy, especially the first game.

First-time completion times for Portal range from about 5 hours to like 20 hours, depending on the person. I personally did it in about 6, but if my friend took 12, I'm not going to look down on him or anything... I think Portal just quizzes a very specific bit of brain (and lots of spatial memory) and some people have it and some don't.

But the point I was making is that Portal never gets tedious. It never takes 20 minutes to implement a solution you thought of in 30 seconds. In fact, Portal 2 is almost too much in that direction, it keeps introducing interesting new mechanics (like some of the types of moon paint), using them in literally 1 or 2 puzzles, then never showing them again.

None of them compare to the best puzzle game ever made, S.C.Out. That is the joke.

• @blakeyrat said:

I think Portal just quizzes a very specific bit of brain (and lots of spatial memory) and some people have it and some don't.

Yeah, but that's still the problem - because if you "get" it, then the puzzles themselves are easy, and if you "don't", you get stuck at learning the basic mechanics and don't really get to appreciate the puzzles.

@blakeyrat said:

But the point I was making is that Portal never gets tedious. It never takes 20 minutes to implement a solution you thought of in 30 seconds.

It's not tedious when it comes to single levels. It's a bit worse when it comes to full-game experience, because the pacing is rather bad - in first Portal, you run through what's basically an extended tutorial through most of the game, then it seems like you finally get to put your skills to some use, but oh wait, boss fight, game ends, goodbye. You hardly even get a chance to actually figure out which of the gimmicks introduced in the test chambers you need to use there.

The second game is much, much better, with more exploration-type levels and a few really good puzzles, but you kiss those lasers goodbye about halfway through the game too. That "make portals anywhere" gel is the worst - it seems like a great idea making for a very open-ended puzzle, but you get it in about three or so levels, and you don't even need it for the final boss save for one very obvious spot.

• How about a fucking game deal for a change?

http://www.indieroyale.com/?royale=199

IndieRoyales are my favorite bundles because of their insistence on DRM-free and desura keys. I hate Steam and am trying to avoid it when able.

This one, however, isn't anything special. Right now, it's at $1.5. I don't think it's worth any more than that.

The game I'm most interested in is this: STAR NOMAD. Looks like top-down elite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2ASP4wtgc

Crappy presentation. But could be fun gameplay.

The only other bearable looking game is BIT SHIFTER by Plastic Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OizY1--iI7M

Kind of like the old Incoming, with similar quality graphics too.

And then, there's this:

http://youtu.be/YVp_dU1JRHI

East Tower is a romance mystery visual novel with romancable guys. We suggest you to play based on this order: Akio - Takashi - Kuon - Kurenai. In East Tower - Akio, you'll be partnered with the serious type guy, Akio.

Thank god we are starting with a serious type guy, before getting more adventurous with Takeshi and others.

• Oh, and let's not forgot that GoG has 12 free games you can get just by creating an account.

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&price=free&page=1

• Of the lot, Tyrian2000 is my favorite. One of the best DOS shoot-em-ups ever.
    • Beneath a Steel Sky is a fantastic point & click adventure game that I actually completed back in the day.
    • Flight of the Amazon Queen is also pretty good.
    • And then there's the legend, Ultima 4, that I just personally don't like.
    • Somebody here had recommended Treasure Adventure Game, still haven't played it.

• @cartman82 said:

Tyrian2000

It's kind of a toss-up whether I like Tyrian 2000 (which is actually Tyrian 3.0) or Tyrian 2.0 more.
    Episode V (which is 2000-exclusive) isn't as good as I-IV and some of the rebalancing makes the game feel different.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cartman82 said:

Flight of the Amazon Queen is also pretty good.

I remember enjoying that when it was new.

• Another deal, this time a great one (IMO)

Humble Weekly Bundle - RPG Edition Book 1

So yeah, I'm into RPG-s so there's no way I'm missing this one.

As usual with humbles, there are 3 tiers:

1. Pay what you want tier
    • The Blade Remains (some kind of cheap looking action RPG)
    • Alpha Kimori™: Episode One (stupid looking JRPG, but seems to have a bit more ambitious than usual battle mechanics)
    • Avadon 2: The Corruption (old school RPG by Spiderweb, guaranteed quality)

Obviously this tier is worth buying for the Avadon 2 alone.

1. Beat the average tier (currently at ~ $5)
    • CONSORTIUM (looks like a fan made System Shock 2 clone. Could be good, hard to tell)
    • Fighting Fantasy: The Forest of Doom (some kind of tabletop RPG simulation, with a book and everything. I'm mildly intrigued)
    • Deep Dungeons of Doom (looks like a simple mobile tap-fest, WTF is this doing in the upper tier?)

This tier is a mixed bag. It's a sad state of the industry when garbage like Deep Dungeons end up here, while carefully crafted Spiderweb gems languish in the garbage bin. But I think I'll still fork out $5 for the System Shock 2 lookalike, even if it looks half-competent in the video.

1. $10+ unlock game
    • Halfway

Sort of a top-down turn-based strategy. The new UFO mechanics meets System Shock style story. I got this in a different bundle and it was a LOT less than $10. And even then, I don't think it was worth it.

The game looks nice on screenshots, but is crap to play. The turn based mechanic was fiddly and uninteresting. And progression was linear and constantly boring you with some kind of stupid story. Maybe it would have gotten better later on, but fuck that shit, I have better things to do.

I'd skip this tier and fork out $5 for the first 6 games, or a buck for Avadon.

• BTW, I love this feature of the humble bundle:

I love being able to decide who gets how big a piece of my generous $5 pie. And Jeff Vogel deserves more dough than these other amateurs, even if he is a SJW fucktard.

What did AbleGamers do that you won't even give 'em 7 cents?

• I don't give money to charities.

Ah. I was hoping it was something more specific, like they defaced a Peruvian monument (or didn't, if that's your bag.)

• HOLY FUCK EVERYTHING HAS BEEN ON SALE SINCE NOON TODAY AND NOBODY POSTED ANYTHING

• MY SAVINGS ARE ON FIRE!!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    MY SAVINGS ARE ON FIRE!!!

• Whoa, I missed it too! Steam didn't tell meeee!

(Btw, Space Engineers is awesome, and getting better. That's a good price.)

• FoxDev

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is oddly good fun. And for £2.24, why not? The deal's not around for long though; about 26 hours left as of posting.

MS's Flight Sim X is £3.99, as is Metal Gear Rising; might be worth a punt.

The original Unreal Tournament is £2.99.

And then there's my favourite game of 2014, currently £5.49.

• The only featured deal I'm interested in (in the current set) is Dark Souls 2, except:

1. It's the main game only on sale, not the DLC.
    2. It's getting re-released in April as an upgraded version with the DLC built in for PS4, Xbox One, and PC, so I'll probably just get it for PS4.
    3. The re-released version on PC will be separate from the original version, so PC players have to buy it again, basically.

• They did that shit when they remastered Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light, too. WTF. Nobody who already owns it is going to repay, why not just.comp it to us?

Bethesda made the HD textures of Skyrim free, follow that example.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Nobody who already owns it is going to repay

You underestimate the stupidity of the average human 😜

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

purchased. ;-)

• My friend and I were playing space engineers recently. I'd built this rediculously huge sphere months ago when they added symmetry mode, and then recently added a spherical gravity generator to it. We were running around on the inner walls, and then decided to invert it and have a little metal planet. Then my friend decided it would be fun to try to establish an orbit with a small ship with artificial mass. He succeeded.

That alone makes the game awesome. But soon, they're starting a minecrafty exploration mode, with player-submitted fleets randomly placed around. I really need to work on my fleet. I only have like two ships in it so far, and one of them no longer makes sense.

• FoxDev

i have exactly two ships in mine......

and one of them is not much of a ship. more of a kinetic impactor driven by a massive gravdrive.

and by massive i mean that the grav drive generates a gravitational field of almost 400g..... you won't be stopping it, or deflecting it much, once i release it from the mother ship (which is also powered by grav drives)

• My newest one, I built all of yesterday or the day before. Can't remember. It's a relatively small large cargo ship which, when approached from above or below, explodes when you get within 20 meters. The explosives are open to space, so you have to be very careful when disabling it. It has turrets. It's small enough to include, buttuming I make more ships. It's on the workshop as "Goblin Carrier" because although I call my faction "Zodiac Gremlins", all my ships are named "Goblin"...

My old one came before many of the helpful features like manual turret control and advanced rotors, so it's got four rocket turrets which can be manned by individual players, which are aimed with rotors, and can be locked in place to reload. It was fun to build, but never worked well, and is now totally obsolete unless you want to have some rather hilarious team battles.

I don't think I've submitted my half-finished Angry Marine Battle Barge. But it isn't part of my faction collection, so that's fine.

• @RaceProUK said:

Metal Gear Rising

👍👍👍

If I didn't already have it on PS3 this would have been an instant purchase.

@RaceProUK said:

my favourite game of 2014, currently £5.49.

I'm waiting for a daily deal on it.

Here's something that should be on sale but never is: Shovel Knight

• FoxDev

@hungrier said:

right. i have that as kickstarte reward. i should redeem my key and get playing...

• FoxDev

@hungrier said:

@RaceProUK said:
    my favourite game of 2014, currently £5.49.

I'm waiting for a daily deal on it.

£4.99 on the Humble Store. Not a big difference I know, but I saw it was that price when trying to find Shovel Knight on there (it isn't).
    Sorry @accalia, didn't know it was cheaper there when I posted earlier 😇

@hungrier said:

I keep hearing almost nothing but good about that game; it seems to be hugely popular. Not sure if I want to pay full price though (and Humble Store doesn't have it). GOG.com has it for £9.59, so maybe I'll think about it a bit and decide later.

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

Sorry @accalia, didn't know it was cheaper there when I posted earlier

where do you think i bought it? as big as my steam library is i havent spent any money in their store in AGES

;-)

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

where do you think i bought it?

Ah, yes, fox 😏

• FoxDev

not that fox! also wrong thread for pictures of foxes.

• Both sound like good reasons for me to have posted it.

• @RaceProUK said:

Someone buy it for me. I wanna play Chinese Knock-Off Sonic 2.

• FoxDev

it's like $9.99

that's like one lunch to go here.

• @blakeyrat said:

Someone buy it for me. I wanna play Chinese Knock-Off Sonic 2.

Now with American Anime Dub goodness!

• FoxDev

@Magus said:

Now with American Anime Dub goodness!

Well, one of the VAs also works for FUNimation, dubbing a character in Fairy Tail. So, weirdly, you're kinda right 😜

• I run a Space Engineers server but haven't been on in months. Probably need to log in and finish my fleet sometime.

• @RaceProUK said:

one of the VAs also works for FUNimation is professionally bad

Not surprising.

• Months? A lot has changed, in that case. Not the least of which being the constructable hologram blueprints. Depending on how many months, possibly even custom paint colors. Almost certainly remote controlled drones.

There is some impressive stuff going on there now. People have started building combination locks and such.

I need to design some small ships next. I'm trying to go for a fairly industrial style, with very few parts hidden.

• I've been busy and not in much of a gaming mood lately, except for a two-week-long Kerbal binge.

• 😜

That is the most punchable smiley I've ever seen.

• The eyes are reversed, though.

• 🚽 Regular

• The steam sale thread is 🆙 ↖ 🔂 that way