The minor rants thread.

• @Gąska said in The minor rants thread.:

@Zerosquare these must be the same people who reply to Amazon's product question notifications with "I don't know but thanks for asking".

8ece4fba-27f0-4543-a791-7bbd4ddab8b1-image.png

I've had Amazon nag me over and over about answering shit like that, so now they are in my naughty list and I do not buy anything there.

• An item is shipped when it physically leaves the shipper's premises, not when a virtual label is created.

• @HardwareGeek said in The minor rants thread.:

An item is shipped when it physically leaves the shipper's premises, not when a virtual label is created when the delivery guy hands it to me.

🔧 for HardwareGeek.

• Considered Harmful

@Applied-Mediocrity said in Game Deals Thread:

I'm happy to report that Forza Hujviņzin 4 5 just fucked off my wishlist

And almost everything about this new piece of shit pisses me off. And it's the same game again, too, except this time some dipshits are screaming Mehikooooooooo heeeeeeeere we... look, dev team placed flamingos here, pay attention to flamingoooos. Fuuuuuck youuuuuuuuu...

Is this wat da yoof be down wit these days?

I guess it looks good, but I've no patience to verify. A bit plastic still, but alright.

What happened to purchasing a shit 206 and then work your way up? So you don't go at Thrust SSC right from the start? Now you've got goddamn Bronco which cannot possibly achieve 276 km/h (entire stage pedal to the metal, in 7th gear, much wow). Unless, yes, drop it from the plane. Someone saw that Fast & Furious shit and "yeah, let's run with it".

Fuck dis shit. 15 minutes was enough.

• Cooking instructions that end with the warning, "Caution, food may be hot". Well, I bloody well hope so; that's rather the point of cooking it, you stupid twat!

Cooking instructions that end with the warning, "Caution, food may be hot". Well, I bloody well hope so; that's rather the point of cooking it, you stupid twat!

You know that if they didn't, someone would cook it then burn themselves and sue.

• Considered Harmful

In other news, Baldur's Gate 3 still pisses me off. And I can't explain how can it be, because DOS2, hate it or love it, wasn't a fluke. And it's been designed using the same process by the same team. How come it's getting worse with every iteration?

The slighest UI actions now have a --boom!-- sound. For everything, even just zooming in or out in the character creation. Look how --boom! -- bombastic --boom!-- we've made this --boom! boom! -- fuck off already. It gets a wee bit tiresome after the first ten million times, alright?

And has no one told them that it's boring timewasting to have to stare at the dice rolling screen while it rolls the oh so magical and supercool and awesome d20 - otherwise we wouldn't know we're playing Nerdee-and-dee right? - and, oh fucking hell, now there's additional particle effects for all the bonuses, fuck off already. And it's going to do this for every skill check in the game. Hey, not every check! The actually important ones (like perception) will be still be rolled offscreen, and you can't do shit about it. You can't even see them in the log - because there fucking isn't ANY! :angry: The log instead shows NPC combat barks looping around for the umpteenth time. Of NPCs I'm not even supposed to know about yet.

But wait, there's a "redesigned UI" now. Yeah, whenever this happens in any program or webshite, you can bet it's going to be a shitshow. So yeah, the inventory screen? It's now twice as small and more brown. I can expand it. But the UI state isn't saved, so if you close it, press the button again and I hope you like watching this supercool panel sliding animation (that obviously could only be done using a modern 3D engine) we made.

Half of both DOS and DOS2 was obsessive inventory juggling to get the best gear. It was redesigned quite a few times between the first game, enhanced first game, second game and definitive edition, and was... well, you could forgive things like that, with gritted teeth, if you liked the rest of the game. Or you could more or less ignore that and instead play a keen tactical game, because you had action points together with movement, and actions took different number of points, and that's how you design a tactical game.

But 5e has no tactical aspect whatsoever. Maybe it works on the table, somehow, but in a videogame it's a total slog. You're basically swinging dicks at each other, rinse and repeat, until one side dies, presumably of shame instead of any actual wounds.
    Oh but you have these bonus action thingies. Doesn't mean shit, but for the kook factor you can end every turn with Shove. If only the bad guys knew that move instead of rushing me and then standing there so politely, I'd have a really hard time...

On the subject of looting. If it has no loot, don't display the loot window. Not even the icon. Nothing. It's padding the gameplay.
    On the subject of looting 2. It now has more goddamn loot sprinkled everywhere. Good that I have this large inventory window... oh, not anymore I dont? Fuck me running.

Finally, darkvision is now a cone in front of the toon. First, that's not how vision works. Second, it was already a fucking drag to keep switching to the one toon that had darkvision, but was otherwise useless (so far in 5e cleric, it seems, is a goddamn anchor you would drag around when you're feeling too OP). Third, I can't turn to specific direction. Instead I have to take a small step in that direction. Good thing we have no such thing as fake stealth or surprise attacks, because... oh we do? Well fuck.

Fucking 🇧🇪. For the fourth time, they've learned nothing, while claiming the opposite. How is that humanly possible?

E: While I was typing this, my toon caught fire, because... fuck knows why. I just played four combat rounds standing in the same place and nothing happened. Then nothing continued to happen while I typed some of this rant. Then fire happened. Good jerb.

• Considered Harmful

And the stupid cutscenes using game assets. Shove your monkey-ass cutscenes in the... void. If cool stuff cannot happen during the gameplay, leave it out. I'm playing the game, because I want to feel like I'm doing the cool stuff, alright? You want to do cutscenes, go to Pixar, video game movies are on the uptake now. Of course, they are all bombing like hell, because it's a shit idea, but hey, as long as the checks clear and you get to do your cutscenes and I get to not see them ever again.

It's like 2002 again. The bland emptiness of the scenery, the ridiculous face animations, the clipping of hair and items floating certain distance from the characters, the uncanny valley expressions. And the mipmapping... of all things, what the hell were you just loading then? Unless you're Rockstar, spending 10 million to animate horse bollocks alone, don't even try it, it's going to suck horse bollocks.

Anyway. There's an entire cutscene with the ship burning up and falling from the sky without any words being said. Just a bunch of assholes being all deep and shit (but in fact not even wetting the feet of a cockroach in a kiddie pool). I don't know what they are supposed to be or why they are there. Far as I'm concerned, there's a bunch of mute assholes with funny noses somewhere near the crash site, and I hope I don't run into them, because that probably means more bland cutscenes. Now, if I saw some otherwordly ship burning up and falling from the sky, I think I'd at least point a finger and exclaim "what in Oblivion is that!?", you know? Real deep writing you got there. By not having any writing to begin with. Vot eto povorot...

• Considered Harmful

@Applied-Mediocrity this dream seems to indicate long-term sustainability concerns. Thanks for posting this here, I've been waiting so long to interpret one.

• Considered Harmful

Texts are phone calls, not email exchanges, and considering them more similar to emails based on them both being fundamentally text formats is barely forgivable. Barely. Not even sure if forgivable. Even if there's convergences like queues or spools or such. Getting hold of an SMS gateway is a lot more like getting phone service than getting a mailbox set up.

In somewhat related news, I am looking forward to any bad horror movies spawning from the cursed house in Florida.

• Considered Harmful

@Gribnit <Gribnit> It's too late for concerns now. It's the Horns of Jericho deep in the forest with only a 330kV line for company.</Gribnit>

• Considered Harmful

@Applied-Mediocrity said in The minor rants thread.:

my toon caught fire

All of them? Sounds like an overcommitment, frankly.

• Considered Harmful

@Gribnit said in The minor rants thread.:

All of them?

Just my main. I don't give a dead giant rat's ass about the rest of the cast (gameplay purposes aside). Even the good ones are evil and/or naively stupid, too edgy and "trust me" mysterious. See, they wanted to try something new - have the companions be unlikeable, so the ghaik worm in everybody's noggin is a reason to stick together, but there's drama - because conflict between two abrasive idiots forced to work together is very innovative. Otherwise the game is as formulaic as they come, of course. For example, despite said ghaik worm in yer noggin you prance around the area doing sidequests all day and night.

On the topic of abrasive assholes. In DOS2 there's this Sibille type. The frist thing she does when we meet her after the intro is she attacks me with some plot weapon (i.e., no matter my race, level and attributes and everything she grabs me into stranglehold and tries to pfizer me). I don't care how good is the story afterwards, nobody does that to my main and lives.

So this posh Edward Cullen stand-in fella here? Dead. I don't like vampires in general, but writers, learn one thing, threatening the main's life is going to get you whacked, sooner or later, somehow. I may be CG, which doesn't murderhobo people left and right... oh wait, 5e doesn't have alignments anymore, so I can do whatever I want. Stab-stabbity-stab! Huehue, I'm so random! Isn't that cool? What did you say? Not cool? Tskva, it seems that you're late...

Yeah, especially that Fishface the Elder "furthermore, tskva, the Gha'at needs to be destroyed". I know it's a tutorial level, so you have to bang on our heads we have to go... in the only direction we actually can go, so shut the fuck up about the helm. And yes, there's the fantasy apostrophe in the first five minutes, as if to bang on our heads we're playing Nerdee-and-dee. And we're not in Fąęrun, Kan'sa'as, anymore either.

• Notification Spam Recipient

the fantasy apostrophe

Never did understand that...

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra said in The minor rants thread.:

the fantasy apostrophe

Never did understand that...

He're, do'es this hel'p? The device is intended to defamiliarize the familiar, and it's stupid and effective and stupid.

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in The minor rants thread.:

the fantasy apostrophe

Well, if you're transcribing Arabic to English you might use an apostrophe to indicate a glottal stop, as Dune's Muad'Dib does.

Then of course a number of sci-fi writers were writing around the time Hawai'i became a state. See also, marker for glottal stop.

I assume that H. P. Lovecraft's use was to indicate sounds that couldn't necessarily be expressed in the normal alphabet and this was probably the most convenient way to express it.

Everything that came later than the 1960s though is probably 'people saw these early writers doing it and assumed it was a way to be trendy and edgy in naming' without realising there were actual reasons behind at least some of the uses.

• Considered Harmful

@Arantor said in The minor rants thread.:

Everything that came later than the 1960s though is probably 'people saw these early writers doing it and assumed it was a way to be trendy and edgy in naming' without realising there were actual reasons behind at least some of the uses.

Well, it's Forgotten Realms, so whatever things were named by early amateur LOTR fanfiction derivative writers, that's how it has to be in the game 50 years later. We can't all be learned professors of language and literature. But an important part of being genre-savvy is to recognize all the bad tropes and avoid them, and not reinforcing them. Ghaik? Mindflayer! Gha'at? Mindflayer ship. The character speaking already knows Common, there's no reason to sprinkle this crap into speech unless you're doing it specifically because the writer thinks it's cool - and it's not - or to annoy people.

I don't know, fantasy apostrophe is so overused it just terribly triggers me, to the point of me going mental whenever I see one. The rest of the game is probably less bad than I think it is, but this thing takes a chunk out of that score.

I don't know, fantasy apostrophe is so overused it just terribly triggers me, to the point of me going mental whenever I see one.

scribbles "Early symptoms of @HardwareGeek's syndrome"

Let us know if your deliveries become irregular.

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare Not sure I've ever seen @HardwareGeek going mental. May be the least mental of all the regular denizens here.
    But who nose these days. Might be a new variant.

Not sure I've ever seen @HardwareGeek going mental. May be the least mental of all the regular denizens here.

Obviously you don't know the real me.

• Considered Harmful

@HardwareGeek said in The minor rants thread.:

Obviously you don't know the real me.

SlartBartFast.JPG

It's sort of a threat, you see.

• @Applied-Mediocrity My hair is not entirely gray. At my age, it ought to be, but it's not.

• Some of it is white? 🚎

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare said in The minor rants thread.:

Some of it is white? 🚎

Transparent Translucent :pend:

• @Zerosquare said in The minor rants thread.:

Some of it is white? 🚎

And then there are the bald bits 🚊

@Applied-Mediocrity My hair is not entirely gray. At my age, it ought to be, but it's not.

While in the ER getting ready to leave, I'm sitting in the wheelchair and my husband says that my hair is so pretty with the silvery streaks (at that time, I hadn't washed it for a week and barely combed/brushed it within that time.). I don't really agree but grudgingly accepted the compliment.

I'm struggling with almost turning 50 (soon, 25 was difficult too, apparently fractions of a century stress me). So I do try to appreciate his complements and asking me to pick something off the floor in front of him, now he has to wait 6 or so weeks for me to be able to pick most things from the floor (I did get one of the grabber thingies).

But I am the epitome of middle age right now and I don't like it.

• @Karla said in The minor rants thread.:

my hair is so pretty with the silvery streaks

I am fortunate (IMO) that the gray in my hair is pretty uniformly distributed, not streaked, so it doesn't really show all that much. It just makes the blond a lighter shade.

I'm struggling with almost turning 50

I'm struggling with almost remembering 50. I was still married and still happy, but it was during the Great Recession, I was out of work, and things were starting to fall apart.

25 was difficult too, apparently fractions of a century stress me

25 was a bit tough for me, too. I was in university, but I was on a internship in a different state, and I didn't know anybody there to celebrate with.

33, OTOH, was exciting. It was the first date with the woman who is now my ex-wife.

• Considered Harmful

@HardwareGeek I remain fortunate in that the signs of aging only serve to enhance my already unfairly distinguished appearance. All the ugliness is safely confined to the portrait - but I say too much.

That's 0x32. You're still young!

I'll be 40 this year. Which kinda sucks. I won't bore anyone with my self-pity, but yeah.

Still in decent health physically, despite how badly I've taken care of myself (I can't get back into shape because I've never been in shape to begin with, unless that shape is "saggy blob").

Had grey hairs in my beard for years now.

@Benjamin-Hall said in The minor rants thread.:

I can't get back into shape because I've never been in shape to begin with, unless that shape is "saggy blob".

You can, if you want to. In two simple steps.

1. Enroll in some activity class. Doesn't matter much what it is, martial arts are good, because they don't get boring, but crossfit, gymnastics, badminton, dance, it's all good. What is important is to make sure the place you choose is serious, pushes its students constantly and has no mercy for whiners.

2. Enroll together with someone you know. Try to motivate him all the time.

It's very hard to do on your own IME, so you have to externalize motivation and delegate organization. Point 1 makes sure that you won't have to plan your training, think about order of doing things and that you won't lie to yourself that it's enough for today. Point 2 is to make sure that you'll keep attending.

It's not easy and not very pleasant, but only at the beginning. It starts to be fun pretty quickly.

• @MrL said in The minor rants thread.:

I can't get back into shape because I've never been in shape to begin with, unless that shape is "saggy blob".

You can, if you want to. In two simple steps.

1. Enroll in some activity class. Doesn't matter much what it is, martial arts are good, because they don't get boring, but crossfit, gymnastics, badminton, dance, it's all good. What is important is to make sure the place you choose is serious, pushes its students constantly and has no mercy for whiners.

2. Enroll together with someone you know. Try to motivate him all the time.

It's very hard to do on your own IME, so you have to externalize motivation and delegate organization. Point 1 makes sure that you won't have to plan your training, think about order of doing things and that you won't lie to yourself that it's enough for today. Point 2 is to make sure that you'll keep attending.

It's not easy and not very pleasant, but only at the beginning. It starts to be fun pretty quickly.

The point of that was that the phrase "get back into shape" assumes that you've been in shape.

And the problem with that proposal are 1. Can't do it during the week, because I work whenever those are open. Because this town, except for college-oriented stuff (which needs a college student id) shuts down after working hours. Can't do it on the weekends, because I'm busy doing all the adulting things I couldn't do during the week. 2. Don't have any friends. 3. :kneeling_warthog:

I mean, it's possible.

And the problem with that proposal are 1. Can't do it during the week, because I work whenever those are open. Because this town, except for college-oriented stuff (which needs a college student id) shuts down after working hours. Can't do it on the weekends, because I'm busy doing all the adulting things I couldn't do during the week. 2. Don't have any friends. 3. :kneeling_warthog:

I mean, it's possible.

You certainly had the time to write all those excuses - that could be 20 pushups.

But seriously, I understand that it's hard, believe me. Especially point 3. But it gets soo much easier once you start.

• @MrL said in The minor rants thread.:

I mean, it's possible.

You certainly had the time to write all those excuses - that could be 20 pushups.

But seriously, I understand that it's hard, believe me. Especially point 3. But it gets soo much easier once you start.

Funny thing is I have actually been (in the last week or so) doing pushups. I've scaled up to where I can do 15 knee pushups in a set with reasonable form. Which is better than struggling at about 5 before.

As I said, my baseline is really really low. Which is another reason why joining a program isn't so great--even the beginner routines would likely kill me or cause enough injury that I'd have to stop.

Funny thing is I have actually been (in the last week or so) doing pushups. I've scaled up to where I can do 15 knee pushups in a set with reasonable form. Which is better than struggling at about 5 before.

As I said, my baseline is really really low. Which is another reason why joining a program isn't so great--even the beginner routines would likely kill me or cause enough injury that I'd have to stop.

At my first training I did 4 pushups. Four.
    I thought I'm dying on every training during first month and I puked during two (IIRC) in that time.

Not pleasant. But you actually don't die. It's all in your head.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in The minor rants thread.:

Because this town, except for college-oriented stuff (which needs a college student id) shuts down after working hours.

Have you investigated if they are some suitable community activities? Like Association of this or that, Church of something, Initiative for ...?
    Those non-commercial groups tend to schedule activities out of work hours.

Some nearby town?

• @cabrito :@blakeyrant: STOP TRYING TO HELP IN A RANT THREAD /s

@MrL said in The minor rants thread.:

But it gets soo much easier once you start.

:um-actually: I've heard this. Yet to experience it for myself.

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra said in The minor rants thread.:

But it gets soo much easier once you start.

:um-actually: I've heard this. Yet to experience it for myself.

I've heard it gets worse. You start with a couple pushups and then you can't stop talking reps and squats and paleo. Do you even deadlift, bro? 🍹

• BINNED

But an important part of being genre-savvy is to recognize all the bad tropes and avoid them

Your series of posts does read like you've spent rather too much time on tv tropes. Oh right, that one too.

I don't know, fantasy apostrophe is so overused it just terribly triggers me, to the point of me going mental whenever I see one.

Well, at least that shit triggering you is just some fantasy setting. Whereas if we're getting annoyed by:

@Arantor said in The minor rants thread.:

you might use an apostrophe to indicate a glottal stop,

I can chime in that I get annoyed by this every day now, in the news on tv, radio, and everywhere. It's not an apostrophe, but other random punctuation of the day (currently : is winning out over *) put into words for :trolley-garage: reasons, and it makes things impossible to read. Up until recently, you could at least ignore it while talking until they realized nobody says the punctuation, so they inserted glottal stops for it.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I'll be 40 this year. Which kinda sucks.

Youngster.

knee pushups

TIL that those were a thing. Huh. I used to be good at that, but could never do the full length ones. Suspect my knees won't like it if I try now; they're not keen on all sorts of things.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said in The minor rants thread.:

TIL that those were a thing.

They're not. They're personal trainer code for "I give up". Didn't we have a self-fat-shaming thread already?

• Considered Harmful

Ghaik? Mindflayer! Gha'at? Mindflayer ship.

ITYM illithid cough savage

• Considered Harmful

@topspin said in The minor rants thread.:

Your series of posts reads like unhinged :wharrgarbl: about trivial vidya shit

🔧 🍹

Entity Framework Migrations. Bad idea, terrible execution.
    It's like a double whammy of technical retardery.

But that's not all! Now with EF Core it's even worse!
    Don't wait, try EF Migrations today and get a free bucket of meaningless exceptions and inconsistent model states! 🤡 🔫

Entity Framework Migrations. Bad idea, terrible execution.
    It's like a double whammy of technical retardery.

Database migrations are already usually a steaming pile of WTF at best (probably because you're hitting the point where really expensive things need to be done such as internally rewriting a table; only a tiny subset of possible changes are anything other than very expensive). I can't really imagine how much worse EF makes things…

• Why is it that when anyone says "I will call you" you can be absolutely sure they will not, ever, call you!?? :angry:

Even when I called them to ask them to sell me something, they just never call.

Of course, at the same time, I get my usual share of calls from people who I never wanted them to call me. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• @remi said in The minor rants thread.:

Even when I called them to ask them to sell me something, they just never call.

It seems to be a special skill that French salesmen have. From my interactions with them, some of them definitely have the :kneeling_warthog: spirit, even when you offer them money on a silver platter.

• @Zerosquare yeah... I can understand builders who are in high-demand, they don't need you since they always have a few months of backlog. It's annoying (sometimes hugely), but they can afford to be picky and select who they work for, I get it.

But when they're e.g. salesmen in store chains? You don't even have to convince me, I'm already willing to buy from you and thus gain you a nice sales bonus, come on!