Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition

• BINNED

@dkf said:

I often use that approach too; the left lane (UK, so driven like for the right lane in the US) is typically too full of traffic entering and leaving, and also the inevitable large numbers of lumbering goods vehicles.

I'm OK with that as long as you're keeping up with traffic. It causes problems when people who aren't keeping up do it. Someone invariably ends up next to them in the outer lane and everyone who wants to pass has to squeeze into the inner lane behind the guy who is going 1 mph faster.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@antiquarian said:

I'm OK with that as long as you're keeping up with traffic.

Well duh! I want stuff past me and away if it is faster than me, and I want past anything that's slower. (I tend to settle out very close to the speed limit; my speedometer's close enough that it's not worth nitpicking at it.)

The worst is when you get one of the slowpokes passing a pair of 18-wheelers where one is struggling to pass the other up an incline. With a long hill and heavy traffic (pretty much the definition of what lies between where I live and where I work) you can get several miles of rolling tailback… which is why I try to commute by train.

• ♿ (Parody)

@antiquarian said:

So he's one of those people who observes the speed limit and wants to make sure that you do so as well?

I typically do this in residential areas where people like to zoom along at 40+ in a 25 zone.

• BINNED

The self-righteous ideas thread is ... oh wait we don't have one yet.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@antiquarian said:

Feel free to start one and ask a moderator to move most of my posts to there.

• ♿ (Parody)

@antiquarian said:

It's more that I live in a place with a lot of kids, and that shit pisses me off. WON'T SOMEONE RUN OVER THE CHILDREN‽

• In a three lane highway, the lanes are (left to right in 'Murica) the passing lane, the traveling lane, and the slow traffic lane.

If you're going the same speed as most traffic, stay in the center lane. If you're going slower than traffic, move right. If you're going fast enough to pass the person in front of you in the center lane, move left, pass them, then get back in the center lane.

@boomzilla said:

It's more that I live in a place with a lot of kids, and that shit pisses me off. WON'T SOMEONE RUN OVER THE CHILDREN‽

I abide by the speed limits during school hours, but I get totally pissed off when someone is doing 23mph in a 45mph zone at 5:10PM (when the school zone speed limit ended at 4:30PM), or when they are doing the same on a day when school is not in session. Get moving shithead, it is summer break and all the kids are safely in their homes sending nude selfies to total strangers on SnapChat.

• ♿ (Parody)

I also do it in an area where the cops like to hang out (because so many people speed there), so I hope that some day someone will ragepass me and get pulled over while I watch.

• @boomzilla said:

I also do it in an area where the cops like to hang out (because so many people speed there), so I hope that some day someone will ragepass me and get pulled over while I watch.

I had that happen once. Route 6 between Providence and Hartford, along the RI/CT border has a lot of one-lane-per-direction roads that sometimes expand to two lanes to allow passing. Of course, that's where the cops sit. I had a white Corvette all over my tail, and I just kept my normal speed, and let him pass me when it went to two lanes. Half a mile later, I see him pulled over.

@boomzilla said:

Another thing that annoys me, in our state we have a rule that any street that adjoins school property is a school zone for speed limit purposes. This leads to the lunacy where a school that is 1/2 mile off of a highway and has a huge property, has a school zone where no children will ever be walking. You mostly see that in rural areas, but there is one school in my area that is over 1/4 mile off the road and literally no kids walk to school and it has a HUGE school zone because their property is enormous and the school zone serves no purpose except to annoy me and bump up ticket quotas.

• @Intercourse said:

Feel free to start one ...

Sounds ...

@Intercourse said:

and ask a moderator to move most of my posts to there.

like a lot of work.

• @Intercourse said:

has a school zone where no children will ever be watching.

Phone'd?

@Magus said:

Phone'd?

Sort of, the phone rang as I was typing that and I succumbed to "Shiny Object Syndrome" combined with some sort of Freudian Slip.

@abarker said:

like a lot of work.

Slacker.

• @Intercourse said:

I abide by the speed limits during school hours, but I get totally pissed off when someone is doing 23mph in a 45mph zone at 5:10PM (when the school zone speed limit ended at 4:30PM), or when they are doing the same on a day when school is not in session. Get moving shithead, it is summer break and all the kids are safely in their homes sending nude selfies to total strangers on SnapChat.

You might hate me. I tend to err towards following the school zone limit. Why?

1. Unless the school zone is marked as "Sept through May" and it's July, or something like that, I don't know if the law is still in force. As soon as I get a signed contract with someone saying they'll pay any tickets and insurance rate increases from speeding so that they save one or two minutes, I'll start backing off on the legal angle.
    2. I don't have kids, so I don't know when school is in session. Is it a holiday? Teacher's day? Who knows. I don't even know when school starts and ends around here. Late Aug? Early Sept? I have no idea.
    3. Even if school school is clearly out of session (e.g. it's July), there are still summer camps and summer classes that can draw people. (And this feeds back to #1 and #2, because the summer programs would mean that, in some cases, it would be very reasonable to impose the school zone limits in the summer.)

Fair enough, but if you can see the parking lot and there are no cars in it, keep on keeping on.

• ♿ (Parody)

I like the school zone signs that have flashing lights, and instructions that it's only really a school zone when the lights are going.

• @EvanED said:

I don't have kids, so I don't know when school is in session. Is it a holiday? Teacher's day? Who knows. I don't even know when school starts and ends around here. Late Aug? Early Sept? I have no idea.

You are doing a good job proving the point that you, yourself, never went to school. 😏

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

http://whns.images.worldnow.com/images/19331521_BG2.jpg

someone caught the attention of the police... at least if that foreground car is what i think it is...

• @chubertdev said:

You are doing a good job proving the point that you, yourself, never went to school. 😏

Not really. Where I grew up, school was from end of August to beginning of June. Here in Phoenix, it really depends on the school district. Some are year round (they get seasonal 1-2 week breaks), others are similar in schedule to what I grew up with. Even with those that are similar to what I grew up with, they don't all start and end at the same time. Some districts will start and end a month later than others. In areas where they don't using the flashing lights that @boomzilla mentioned, I'd rather err on the side of treating it like an active school zone year round.

@abarker said:

Here in Phoenix, it really depends on the school district.

It is the same here, and the police really patrol the school zones of the year-round schools during the summer to catch people that are accidentally speeding through a school zone while in session. I got nabbed that way once for something silly like 29mph in a 25mph zone.

• @Intercourse said:

You mostly see that in rural areas, but there is one school in my area that is over 1/4 mile off the road and literally no kids walk to school and it has a HUGE school zone because their property is enormous and the school zone serves no purpose except to annoy me and bump up ticket quotas.

Sounds familiar. The school I went to has all five buildings for the district on the same campus. It also has a football field, three baseball diamonds, several practice fields, six tennis court, and more, all on the same campus. This produces a school zone over a mile long, where there is zero chance of ever seeing a walking child. 100% of the students in the district are bussed - even the kid that lives across the street.

As a side note, immediately behind the school is a landfill where much of the hazardous waste from the Manhattan project was buried.

• @Jaime said:

As a side note, immediately behind the school is a landfill where much of the hazardous waste from the Manhattan project was buried.

I call bullshit. I grew up close to the Hanford Nuclear Reservation, which started as part of the Manhattan Project. No waste is located within a half hour drive of anything residential. I doubt that any other waste repository is going to be across the street from a school.

Edit: Hell, no nuclear waste at Hanford is even located within a 20 minute drive of anything civilian.

• @EvanED said:

You might hate me. I tend to err towards following the school zone limit. Why?

What makes you think that driving slower is the same as driving safer? Children break when hit at speeds far lower than even the school zone speed.

• @abarker said:

I call bullshit.

The K-65 ores were refined as a key part of the Manhattan Project during World War II at the Linde Ceramics Plant at Tonawanda, NY, and at the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works in St. Louis… The Linde "K-65 residues" were transported to a storage silo built at the federally-appropriated Lake Ontario Ordnance Works site outside of Lewiston, NY, a short distance from Niagara Falls

Source

More

And finally, from here:

Half of the world’s known radium is stored about a mile from the Lewiston-Porter schools, where approximately 2,300 students attend classes each day.

• @abarker said:

I call bullshit

We have the Love Canal too.

• @Jaime said:

Half of the world’s known radium is stored about a mile from the Lewiston-Porter schools, where approximately 2,300 students attend classes each day.

Yeah, that isn't the same as:

@Jaime said:

immediately behind the school

Also, there was a lot more waste than your radium involved in the Manhattan project. Look at all the detritus from plutonium and uranium refinement that is at Los Alamos and Hanford. Your radium doesn't qualify as "much of the hazardous waste from the Manhattan Project".

My bullshit comment still stands.

• @Jaime said:

What makes you think that driving slower is the same as driving safer? Children break when hit at speeds far lower than even the school zone speed.

Do you really need someone to spell it out for you?

• While you don't need to be going fast to injure or kill someone, it certainly makes it more likely that hitting them will do so.
    • Going faster reduces your reaction time.

The latter is why I actually go pretty slowly down residential streets with densely parked cars; I don't want something or someone to run or roll out in front of my car when I'm 10 feet away from it, or have someone door my car.

Admittedly, many school zones are clear of parked cars and such, so this often doesn't matter.

@boomzilla said:

I typically do this in residential areas where people like to zoom along at 40+ in a 25 zone.

You know, building a speedbump like Hal did in that one episode of Malcolm in the Middle is far more entertaining.

@Intercourse said:

but there is one school in my area that is over 1/4 mile off the road

Dallas thinks it's funny to make street intersections school zones if there's a school "nearby." For extra fun, the zone straddles the intersection and doesn't always have another sign after the light. Heaven help you if you happen to momentarily forget, especially on one of those "there are never children there" ones, on a day the cops are out.

@EvanED said:

Unless the school zone is marked as "Sept through May" and it's July

Most of the school zones here have yellow flashing lights and "speed limit 20mph while flashing" signs.

One, up the street from me, was apparently felt insufficient, so they added a blue strobe light to the yellow flasher.

• @abarker said:

Also, there was a lot more waste than your radium involved in the Manhattan project. Look at all the detritus from plutonium and uranium refinement that is at Los Alamos and Hanford. Your radium doesn't qualify as "much of the hazardous waste from the Manhattan Project".

One of the three quotes was Radium related, the other two were Uranium. If you are going to simply pick the least useful information from my post and pretend the rest didn't happen, you are a horrible person.

Here is a map:

The worst part is that all of this was unpopulated in the 1940s and the Manhattan Project was secret, so they didn't tell anyone what they buried. They are still finding things buried there that was never documented. In the second link I posted, they mention that most of the things buried at these sites were DOD, DOE or even CIA experiments There is also this quote:

Aside from Hanford, Washington, the Niagara contamination is probably the worst in the country
    The difference is, one million people live with 25 miles of the area.

• @Jaime said:

One of the three quotes was Radium related, the other two were Uranium. If you are going to simply pick the least useful information from my post and pretend the rest didn't happen ...

Actually, it was the most useful information, as it actually stated how close it was to the school. The K-65 stuff said nothing about proximity to anything, so it was not very useful to the conversation at hand.

• @Jaime said:

>Aside from the Hanford Nuclear Reservation , in Washington, the Niagara contamination is probably the worst in the country

CYQFY

I know you were just quoting something you read, but Hanford, Washington, hasn't existed since the town was forcibly evacuated to make way for the Manhattan Project. The same holds true for White Bluffs, Washington, and a couple other small farming communities. If you want some modern towns to reference to the area by, you can choose from:

• Richland
    • Pasco
    • Kennewick

These are collectively referred to as the Tri-Cities. Smaller, probably unknown, towns in the area, included West Richland and Benton City.

• Ahhh... the "you used the wrong place name" comeback. Clever.

@EvanED said:

Going faster reduces your reaction time.

I know what you're trying to say, but you've actually said the opposite. In fact, your reaction time is about constant (it depends on the speed of signals in your nerves, and how fast you react to a problem that you are at least ostensibly alert for, with intoxication and distraction tending to greatly increase this time) so you just travel further while you are reacting when you go faster. Braking distance is separate, and depends on how good your brakes are and the square of your speed (assuming a roughly linear decrease in speed over the braking period). Overall, you get a nice quadratic equation.

Speed is a huge factor in crashes (since speed at impact affects the severity of the crash pretty obviously) and in making them more likely too (it rarely is the only cause, but it sure exacerbates everything else). Going slower is definitely safer. That said, I still like going fast, but I won't do it on any road where I'm not certain it is safe to do so (which basically means roads with freeway-like qualities).

@EvanED said:

I don't want [… to] have someone door my car.

Of course not. The time while it's in the shop getting the scratches out would be very irritating.

• @abarker said:

Not really. Where I grew up, school was from end of August to beginning of June. Here in Phoenix, it really depends on the school district. Some are year round (they get seasonal 1-2 week breaks), others are similar in schedule to what I grew up with. Even with those that are similar to what I grew up with, they don't all start and end at the same time. Some districts will start and end a month later than others. In areas where they don't using the flashing lights that @boomzilla mentioned, I'd rather err on the side of treating it like an active school zone year round.

Yes, but the schools that I went to also varied, especially by level. But at least I have a general idea of when school is in session and when it isn't. If it's around the beginning or end of the school year, you take it easy. But if it's July 18, and there are no kids visible, and the parking lot is empty, it's a safe bet that school is not in session.

• @Jaime said:

The K-65 ores were refined as a key part of the Manhattan Project during World War II at the Linde Ceramics Plant at Tonawanda, NY, and at the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works in St. Louis… The Linde "K-65 residues" were transported to a storage silo built at the federally-appropriated Lake Ontario Ordnance Works site outside of Lewiston, NY, a short distance from Niagara Falls

Source

More

And finally, from here:

That explains a lot about you. I had a friend in high school/college that was originally from Tonawanda 😬

@Jaime said:

We have the Love Canal too.

That tops what we've got in this area. Round here, it's mostly wool waste. (The other toxic chemicals have mostly been cleared out.) Wool waste is nasty stuff, with probably quite a bit of anthrax contamination (it was a rather common infection of sheep AIUI), but not on the scale of dioxin or nuclear waste. Plus most of that stuff is quite a bit deeper with us (because of old mines and quarries) and nobody uses local wells these days, and hasn't for a century or more (we've got some big drinking water reservoirs about 30 miles north, in another river system).

As long as nobody breaks any of the mine or quarry seals, things should be OK. We hope…

@Jaime said:

If you are going to simply pick the least useful information from my post and pretend the rest didn't happen, you are a horrible person.

But not the worst of the worst?

• We haven't mentioned @mikeTheLiar in a while.

@Jaime said:

Ahhh... the "you used the wrong place name" comeback. Clever.

Pendantry recognized!

@chubertdev said:

We haven't mentioned @mikeTheLiar in a while.

It's good to air the classics out every once in a while.

• @FrostCat said:

Jaime:
    If you are going to simply pick the least useful information from my post and pretend the rest didn't happen, you are a horrible person.

But not the worst of the worst?

I was going for GLaDOS, but mikeTheLiar will do.

• FoxDev

@chubertdev said:

We haven't mentioned @mikeTheLiar in a while.

hmm.... funny you should say that.

I was just thinking that it might be time for that torch to be passed.

i even had an individual in mind... 👿

• FoxDev

• Tempted. Not really. But it is a Spoked B.

• @accalia said:

hmm.... funny you should say that.

I was just thinking that it might be time for that torch to be passed.

i even had an individual in mind... 👿

What do you have in mind, @accalia?