Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition

• BINNED

Yesterday I managed to go through a tight curve so fast that my phone flew off the holder. That felt really nice.

• BINNED

@blek said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Yesterday I managed to go through a tight curve so fast that my phone flew off the holder. That felt really nice.

Yesterday I managed to do that so fast that my husband screamed “SHIT! SHIT! MOTHER FUCKER!”.

Good times 😂!

• @M_Adams said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Yesterday I managed to do that so fast that my husband screamed “SHIT! SHIT! MOTHER FUCKER!”.

Good times 😂!

Maybe you should consider marrying Carnage. Then you'd both be coo with.

Kids! Think how you want your spouse to respond to going through a tight curve that caused the phone to fall.

Just another step in the vetting process.

• BINNED

@Karla said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@M_Adams said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Good times 😂!

Maybe you should consider marrying Carnage. Then you'd both be coo with.

Kids! Think how you want your spouse to respond to going through a tight curve that caused the phone to fall.

Just another step in the vetting process.

Nah! I’m good with the current husband. He’s blind in one eye, so no depth perception. Much more fun to jank around with when driving 😈.

• ♿ (Parody)

Watch until the end...

dcd20df3-70ec-4a33-b11e-4b6cdfdcc57d-image.png

• 🚽 Regular

Warning for others: do not click the "embedded video", which is just an image. :rolleyes:

Having said that,I second that it is worth a watch until the end.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Zecc oneboxing anti-patterns thread is :arrows:

• @boomzilla Is a demonstration of ability to parallel park no longer required for a driver's license? Back in the day, IIRC, you had succeed on the first attempt, or you failed the test and had to take it again (possibly with mandatory additional training before taking it; I don't remember, because I passed on my first try, like I think most people do, so anything related to retrying wasn't relevant to me and thus not worth remembering).

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek it seems to vary. I did not have to, but I believe that some friends of mine who got their licenses at about the same time did. :mlp_shrug:

• @HardwareGeek When I took my test (:belt_onion:), it seems that parallel parking wasn't mandatory, but one parking manoeuvre was. At least that's what I infer from the fact that I was asked to reverse in a perpendicular park. But we were 3 people taking the test that day (or maybe just 2? I don't remember) and the other were (was?) asked to do a parallel park.

And we were definitely taught how to do it, with the expectation that we would be tested on it, so maybe I just got lucky that day (because we were at least 2 people taking the test on the same day, I first took mine driving out of town, and the other person took theirs driving back, so I did my parking manoeuvre on a car park in the middle of nowhere and maybe it's just that at that location there wasn't any setup to allow me to do a parallel park... I'm partly deluding myself in thinking that I was good enough on the rest of the test that the examiner thought I didn't need more testing, but of course I would say that...).

In any case, parallel parking is really a matter of practice (and knowing your car), so even people who know all the theory (where to look, when to start turning one way or the other etc.) sometimes do it very poorly. That applies to myself: years ago I lived in a city centre and was quite good at it, sometimes even managing to fit into spaces that were barely large enough for my car (leaving about 10 cm in front and behind), but nowadays I've been living outside of centre for years and when I have to parallel park I'm much less efficient. I wouldn't look as bad as the driver in this video, but I wouldn't look as good as a training video either...

• 🚽 Regular

• @boomzilla Yeah, well, the video is "Unavailable to you" to me anyway, so the oneboxing fail's significance is diminishing.

• @remi said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

I'm partly deluding myself in thinking that I was good enough on the rest of the test that the examiner thought I didn't need more testing, but of course I would say that...).

Maybe you just were good enough.

When I was in driving school, I got trained on parking exactly once. There was an empty field with a parking space drawn on the ground, and some cones. I got instructions to reverse into the parking spot. I parked the car as instructed, and maybe overdid on meticulously parking exactly in the middle of the space.

The instructor then told me to drive forward, do a full circle, and repeat the parking-in-reverse excercise. I did as commanded. He then sighed, and stated that I probably didn't need to practise any more of that. And would I mind if we cut the day's lesson a bit short, because the next person for the day does need all the practise they could get?

• Java Dev

@remi Here there are 5 so called 'special manoeuvres': parallel and perpendicular parking, three-point-turn, hill start, and a fifth which escaped me. Probably reversing around a corner. I think you would usually be tested on 2 or 3 of them, but of course you wouldn't know which ones in advance.

Particularly the parking manoeuvres require knowing your car and keeping in practice.

• @PleegWat 3-points turn and hill start are part of the training, although I have no idea whether you are supposed to be tested on them (well obviously you can be, but I don't know if you must be tested in X out Y of them...). I don't remember having had to do any of those during my test, but I don't remember everything either (as I said, :belt_onion:). Parking, OTOH, I'm pretty sure that you will always be tested on one of them.

ETA: and of course you've now successfully nerd-snipped me, and I had to check.

From the relevant official text (in French, of course):

The exam must including one "precision braking", which means (if I understand it correctly) that you're being told to e.g. stop exactly at a given mark (typically a stop but it could be e.g. "next to that lamppost" or any other marker). More relevant to this discussion, it must include 1 out of 6 reversing manoeuvres, which are: straight line reversing, reverse around a corner, parallel park, perpendicular park, diagonal park (perpendicular park when the cars are not quite perpendicular to the street), 3-points turn. The list is rather :wtf: as "straight line reverse" hardly seems like a manoeuvre but... :mlp_shrug:

The whole exam uses a points system and you must score at least 20 (out of a possible maximum of 30 or so, I think) to pass, and not do one of the immediate-elimination errors (such as not stopping at a red light...). I think that the manoeuvres don't count for points, but failing them would be one of those faults. Points are related to wide-ranging "competencies" such as "adapting speed to circumstances" or "maintaining safe distances."

Also you can get 2 bonus points, one for "courteous driving" (not screaming on other drivers, I guess) and the other for "limiting fuel consumption" (not revving the engine, I think).

Three amusing nuggets from glancing at the whole text.

The exam must take 32 minutes. Yup, exactly that number. (at least 25 must be spent driving, the rest being e.g. the examiner explaining the test, checking paperwork, and a few "static" questions such as a quick eye-test)

The reversing manoeuvre cannot be done when coming back to the exam centre, and if you have to do one such manoeuvre when parking at the exam centre, it's specifically mentioned that this manoeuvre does not count in the exam. I don't know why.

The other thing is in the rules that a car must fulfil to be usable as an exam car. There are mostly sane rules to exclude, basically, uncommon cars (e.g. the car must have a rear window). It must also be not too old (<7 yo), which again makes sense in order to teach people to drive on the kind of cars they're most likely to drive afterwards. But amusingly, overseas territories are explicitly exempt of that last rule! Says much about the average age of cars there...

did my parking manoeuvre on a car park in the middle of nowhere and maybe it's just that at that location there wasn't any setup to allow me to do a parallel park

IIRC, when I took it, the DMV had some pylons set up on a side street to mark out a space into which you had to park without hitting the pylons.

sometimes even managing to fit into spaces that were barely large enough for my car (leaving about 10 cm in front and behind),

Yeah, I was thinking of that when I first watched the video. I think I've only tried to park in a space that tight once, but it was a memorable experience.

Long story: I was going to the New Year's Day Rose Parade in Pasadena, CA, and driving over there at maybe midnight, or so. I was not quite 18, so *technically* not legally allowed to be out by myself after curfew, although my parents actually called the Pasadena police and asked about it; they said, basically, there were going to be thousands upon thousands of people out there, and as long as I behaved myself, it wouldn't be a problem. When I got there, I found a legal parking spot about a block or two from the start of the parade, where all the TV cameras were; it was probably the only open spot for miles. It took a lot of back and forth to wiggle my way into the spot a couple of inches at a time. I wound up with a primo parking spot and a primo viewing location, without paying for a spot in the grandstands and without camping out for days, which was typically necessary for a spot that good.

• @hungrier said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@Zecc said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

Full video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30InBgGhiSo

I think there were more videos of that guy where he did similar dumb shit.

Edit: Yup...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT7IFcgTHXs

• @Carnage IIRC some (or maybe all) of them are on his channel

• @hungrier said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@Carnage IIRC some (or maybe all) of them are on his channel

Yep. There are some hilarious arrest videos there.

• @HardwareGeek said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

IIRC, when I took it, the DMV had some pylons set up on a side street to mark out a space into which you had to park without hitting the pylons.

Driving tests here are rarely a group affair, usually it's just the examiner coming over to the driving school, and a handful of candidates taking the test that day driving from there (on the car they used for training, which is nice, and with an instructor on board, which is actually part of the law). So it's not really convenient for the examiner to set up some special area (with cones etc.) and usually it's just whatever location they found on the road along the test.

We were 2 or 3 in my case but actually the law apparently says that it's no longer allowed, no other candidate can be in the car, which is a bit weird (and doesn't mean the examiner can't come back to the driving school and pick up new candidates after they're done with the first one, of course)... combined with the "parking manoeuvre at exam centre is not allowed", I assume that part of the reason is to avoid examiners cheaping out on the test to get more candidates, which tallies out with recurrent stories about lack of examiners?

Though it may depend on areas, I guess in some big cities they might very well have a standard-ish location that they use (plus tests for some other types of licenses e.g. bikes require special setups with cones, so they could very well share them for car drivers). I have no idea.

sometimes even managing to fit into spaces that were barely large enough for my car (leaving about 10 cm in front and behind),

Yeah, I was thinking of that when I first watched the video. I think I've only tried to park in a space that tight once, but it was a memorable experience.

I think the hardest parking manoeuvre I had was to get out of a space. I went with my brother to some sort of festival (kind of like in your story, I guess), and since we arrived somewhat early we were lucky to find a nice spot close to the centre of things. But what we didn't count on was that the spot we were on was on the sidewalk (perfectly marked and all, but a bit aside from the street itself), so when things got packed someone else parked almost right between me and the street (technically they shouldn't have but with such a crowd...). They tried to leave me some space, but between their car, the houses' wall and other lampposts etc. I had to weave (backwards!) and turn in spaces that were barely larger than my car to get out. I think it took me 10-15 min of constant manoeuvring, inches by inches, to get me out of there! 💦

• @remi Sometimes it's hard. I once (20 years ago so no chance of those parking gizmos we have nowadays) helped a girl get her car (a dinky Seat Marbella) out of a rather tight spot - at one point she simply gave up, handed me the keys and pleaded for me to get her car unstuck.
    So, knight in shining armor that I am, I did.

Took me a while as well.

Directly after that, one asshole (who was looking for a parking spot) stopped next to me in his BMW and told me that he'd have gotten out of that spot way faster.

So I pointed to the now empty spot and told him: "Go right ahead, it's yours for the taking!"

Weirdly enough, he drove off.

• @Rhywden said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

asshole ... BMW

But you repeat yourself.

• Java Dev

@remi said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

diagonal park (perpendicular park when the cars are not quite perpendicular to the street)

I've never even seen this. I've only ever seen diagonal spots along one-way roads in parking garages, and angled for forward parking.

"limiting fuel consumption" (not revving the engine, I think).

Probably also no excessively hard braking.

The reversing manoeuvre cannot be done when coming back to the exam centre, and if you have to do one such manoeuvre when parking at the exam centre, it's specifically mentioned that this manoeuvre does not count in the exam. I don't know why.

I don't recall this being an exam rule here, but I never looked into it that closely. I do specifically recall that at the exam centre you'd always be told explicitly to park forward (and that was perpendicular parking)

I strongly prefer parking reverse in perpendicular parking, since it's easier to line the car up that way and it gives better overview when leaving the parking spot later. The only exception is if reversing into the spot limits access to the trunk and I will be needing trunk access.

Driving tests here are rarely a group affair, usually it's just the examiner coming over to the driving school,

We always had to go to the exam centre. I don't think my driving school even had a physical location. That said, we also didn't get pre-set-up courses.

• @PleegWat said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

I've never even seen this. I've only ever seen diagonal spots along one-way roads in parking garages, and angled for forward parking.

It's somewhat unusual here as well, although it depends on cities, some do use it quite a lot. It depends on streets' width, basically, as it allows to fit more cars into the same lengths of curb than parallel, without encroaching as much onto the street itself as perpendicular. I was surprised to see it specifically in the exam, I don't remember it as a specific manoeuvre, it's just a variation on perpendicular. Though it might just be to leave a bit more leeway to the examiner in what they can ask people to do.

The reversing manoeuvre cannot be done when coming back to the exam centre

I don't recall this being an exam rule here, but I never looked into it that closely.

Yes, that one was entirely new to me. I suspect it's something to do with avoiding that the examiner makes people always do their parking test on the same spot, and do not skimp on finding a real road parking situation. But since I also don't think there really are "exam centres" (as I said, examiner comes along to the driving school... or at least that was how it was for me decades ago!), I'm not sure how much it applies in reality. Just one of those weird things that you find in laws/regulations...

I strongly prefer parking reverse in perpendicular parking, since it's easier to line the car up that way and it gives better overview when leaving the parking spot later. The only exception is if reversing into the spot limits access to the trunk and I will be needing trunk access.

Same for me. Many companies mandate reverse parking in their buildings, sometimes making it an HSE matter. I remember a friend working in such a company, where they also had an annual goal of reporting each at least one HSE issue, so he made a show of parking the wrong way and then loudly announcing it in the office so that other people could report him and get their objective! (there was no consequence to him apart maybe a reminder from the HSE officer, so he didn't care about that)

I usually don't reverse park on supermarket lots though, for the point you mention last (ease of access to trunk)!

Many companies mandate reverse parking in their buildings,

I've worked at others that prohibit it, typically because of the location of a parking permit. (Even if parking forward makes the permit harder to see in some parking spots, they want the location uniform for all parked cars, so the security rent-a-cop doesn't have to search for it.)

sometimes making it an HSE matter.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/HSE says:

HSE Highly Siderophile Elements (geochemistry)
    HSE Horizontal Size Extension
    HSE Human Software Engineering
    HSE Hic Sepultus (or Situs) Est (Latin: Here Is Buried (or Laid))

but the winner has to be

HSE How Strangely Erotic

• @HardwareGeek It's a Britishism for Health, Safety, Environment.

• Notification Spam Recipient

my phone flew off the holder.

My holder is my pocket, which makes it really convenient to not have anything distracting occur.

It would be absolutely fantastic if I was driving upside down long enough for it to be extracted from its holder...

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra When I was a kid I was hoping I'd see the cars from Rollcage IRL. Instead we have Teslas.

Although I guess Rollcage cars had some kind of a rotating internal cockpit that kept you upright. They didn't really go into specifics AFAIK. Still, you could drive on the ceiling and it ruled.

• @TwelveBaud said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@HardwareGeek It's a Britishism for Health, Safety, Environment.

So the uk version of OSHA.

• @TwelveBaud said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@HardwareGeek It's a Britishism for Health, Safety, Environment.

Yes, Free Dictionary had the most likely acronym expansion, so I figured out what it really meant. (Actually, I figured out Health and Safety on my own; I just needed help with the E.) But the real one isn't humorous.

• Just came back from a walk and found someone parking his car on the sidewalk, in front of the "emergency access in case of fire" lane (clearly marked as such) and with his warning indicators blinking (I always find this weird - those people seem to think somehow that switching those on makes their shitty parking okay).

To his credit, he drove off when I pointed this out.

Then again, he acted as if he was doing me a huge favour or that I somehow was completely unreasonable not letting him park there for "just five minutes".

Yeah, no, buddy, the moving van which parked at the same spot for four hours yielded the same response: "Just five minutes! Don't care!"

Well, then I don't care about the 55€ you're about to have to pay.

I also schlepped my stuff 20 meters more because I did not want to park there. Also, just for the purpose of moving, you can get official "Don't park here on ..."-signs so you can reserve a spot for your van to park at.

• @Rhywden said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

I always find this weird - those people seem to think somehow that switching those on makes their shitty parking okay

They suggest they are not parking. Does your road law not distinguish between “stopping” and “standing”? Most places like this prohibit “standing” but not “stopping”.

that I somehow was completely unreasonable not letting him park there for "just five minutes".

Because you were. The “time needed for loading and unloading” that defines “stopping” by general practice includes the time to carry the load to/from the house, possibly in multiple parts, so five minutes generally do qualify.

@Rhywden said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

the moving van which parked at the same spot for four hours

That, however, does indeed sound unreasonable and unlikely any officer would accept it as merely stopping.

• BINNED

@Bulb said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

I always find this weird - those people seem to think somehow that switching those on makes their shitty parking okay

They suggest they are not parking. Does your road law not distinguish between “stopping” and “standing”? Most places like this prohibit “standing” but not “stopping”.

Of course they do. However, 1) you are never stopping on the sidewalk, that’s standing (and only allowed if allowed explicitly), 2) parking with your emergency indicators on doesn’t make it magically not parking.

that I somehow was completely unreasonable not letting him park there for "just five minutes".

Because you were. The “time needed for loading and unloading” that defines “stopping” by general practice includes the time to carry the load to/from the house, possibly in multiple parts, so five minutes generally do qualify.

There are “no parking” zones and there are “no parking or standing” zones (or however that translates, I’m on the phone and messed it up, whatever), the latter of which do not allow loading/unloading and are clearly what he was talking about as it was an emergency exit.

• @topspin said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

“no parking or standing” zones (or however that translates, I’m on the phone and messed it up, whatever), the latter of which do not allow loading/unloading and are clearly what he was talking about as it was an emergency exit.

"No Loading or Unloading" is a common phrase for that, especially near airports. And yes, emergency exits and fire lanes are generally "do not block for any reason" areas.

• @Bulb said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

German law states that those lights are for emergencies only. They're not for: "Look, I'm parking on the sidewalk!"

You seem to misunderstand: He was talking about parking. But emergency access lanes are "No Stop"-zones. As in: Don't get out of your car, don't pass Go, don't collect $400

Again: Do not stop there. Those five minutes become a problem really fast when the actual firetruck turns up.

In which world of yours do the words Emergency access zone not constitute a zone where you simply do not loiter?

Also, he parked on the sidewalk. Not on the street, not in one of the designated parking spots nearby. So stuff your attitude where the sun does not shine, will you?

• ♿ (Parody)

• @Bulb said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

The “time needed for loading and unloading” that defines “stopping” by general practice includes the time to carry the load to/from the house, possibly in multiple parts, so five minutes generally do qualify.

:um-actually: Officers don't actually care how long the car is there, as long as it's in the process of loading/unloading. If you finish loading and then leave the car there unattended for 1 minute, they will ticket. At least around here.

The point being, you're supposed to be available to move the car out of the way. And only occupying the area for the minimum possible duration required for the function of society.

• @acrow Yeah, that's why I don't complain about trucks or moving vans unloading somewhere inopportune.

As long as they don't completely block important access ways, that is.

• :belt_onion:

@Rhywden The thing at the top of my "never ever EVER EVER EVER stop there intentionally no I don't care what your reason is you're wrong" list is a railroad grade crossing. Followed closely by "the middle of a highway crossing". (At least with the highway though, traffic can usually stop before they hit you)

Compared to that, everything else is significantly lower...

@sloosecannon Oh I suppose I should add "the middle of a runway" on there too. But if you're there, something has probably gone horribly wrong

• @sloosecannon said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

But if you're there, and not part of the maintenance crew,something has probably gone horribly wrong

FTFY

@acrow said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

@sloosecannon said in Driving Anti-Patterns - Necro Edition:

But if you're there, and not part of the maintenance crew,something has probably gone horribly wrong

FTFY

Fair, although in my mind I was adding "active" to "runway"

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

14015238-b24d-4fd2-8ae3-f12967afc915-image.png

• @loopback0 To be fair, I don't see any signage indicating that it's a roundabout.

• Java Dev

@sloosecannon Oh I suppose I should add "the middle of a runway" on there too. But if you're there, something has probably gone horribly wrong

https://www.google.nl/maps/@36.1510554,-5.3485649,1458m/data=!3m1!1e3

94ce4d68-bb60-49d0-8594-63f8b9aaae0a-image.png

• 🚽 Regular

@PleegWat So you're basically agreeing with @sloosecannon?

something has probably gone horribly wrong

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I suppose I should add "the middle of a runway" on there too.

Opening bridges are another place to never stop. I've also seen more than a few narrow roads where stopping will get people seriously angry at you. (Fortunately, those usually have somewhere not too far away where you can stop or pass a vehicle going in the opposite direction.)