The Official Status Thread

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Arantor said in The Official Status Thread:

@topspin well, there's that, there's the fact that like half of all AWS staff are the sales and marketing folks and they have a fairly high margin too.

Not joking here but I’m fairly certain two thirds of aws’s staff are sales. Even their fucking tech support try to upsell you to something more expensive.

have you tried kinesis?
    DogsB firehose?
    no, it has sharding and failover for multiple clients.
    DogsB I have a single client and how much does that cost.
    it will depend on your usage which you can monit...

narrator DogsB fell into coma and never was heard from again.

• BINNED

Last day of work tomorrow. And just in time I have serious stomach cramps. Hope it’s not an appendicitis.
    FUUUUUUuuuuck
    drops in pain

• @topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

just in time I have serious stomach cramps.

Withdrawal symptom caused by the sudden lack of work-related stress. You'll get better soon.

• @DogsB said in The Official Status Thread:

I’m fairly certain two thirds of aws’s staff are sales.

Business types have been talking about the fact that AWS has 60,000 sales staff because there's been some 'industry insider' talk about reorganising them somehow, while AWS overall staff numbers are somewhere around 135k, so it's more like half rather than two thirds.

• Banned

Status: Apparently, somebody bought the Subaru I sold to dealership some months ago. I hope it serves you well, it's a good car.

Also status: I didn't clear BT pairings in my Subaru before selling it and so my sister randomly connected to a stranger's car when driving through downtown. 😬

@Gustav said in The Official Status Thread:

Also status: I didn't clear BT pairings in my Subaru before selling it and so my sister randomly connected to a stranger's car when driving through downtown. 😬

Wat.

Okay, I'm super impressed that Bluetooth worked outside the chassis of the car, from a distance. That's something to brag about.

• @Gustav said in The Official Status Thread:

Apparently, somebody bought the Subaru I sold to dealership some months ago.

I'll have to remember that when it's time... (my Subaru is now 8yr old and has 106K miles)

• BINNED

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Wat.

Okay, I'm super impressed that Bluetooth worked outside the chassis of the car, from a distance. That's something to brag about.

🔧

• Status: All of these places claim that Star Trek Lower Decks season 4 was released on DVD and BluRay on the 19th and yet it's practically nowhere to be found. The only places I've seen with a listing are Walmart and Amazon. Walmart only has BluRay, preorder, and Amazon only has BluRay, unavailable.

Yes, I am already low key seething at the idea of having to flip from DVD to BluRay at some point in the middle of this series.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

You could have shortened your statement to just that.

• Java Dev

Status: Apparently, somebody bought the Subaru I sold to dealership some months ago. I hope it serves you well, it's a good car.

I remember on my previous car (a kia) I had to clear 4 different existing mobile phone pairings from previous users. I don't recall whether I cleared mine after selling it, but then I sold it to my sister so it's not that important.

• 🚽 Regular

@PleegWat said in The Official Status Thread:

but then I sold it to my sister so it's not that important.

Do you think the car will not survive enough to be sold yet again?

• @Zecc more possibly that at least one of the pairings may well be an overlap between owners.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf You missed a lett... oh, I see. Indeed! Yay! Let the festivities commence! 🎄 🇨🇽

• @dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

Now you have a machine gun?

@Arantor said in The Official Status Thread:

@dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

Now you have a machine gun?

No but the elves certainly do!

download.jpg

Status: Was making a bag label thing for my custom gift for White Elephant.

bd8de94f-01d0-4b0e-b55a-99fb602cb761-image.png

The fuckin' icons are rotated in relation to the textbox orientation! 😱

Neat.

My car's radio predates Bluetooth being common, so I use a radio rebroadcaster to listen to media from my phone. The other day, while stopped at a light, I got to listen to someone else's music overpowering the podcast I had on. I've had it happen before, but it's been years.

@Parody said in The Official Status Thread:

My car's radio predates Bluetooth being common, so I use a radio rebroadcaster to listen to media from my phone. The other day, while stopped at a light, I got to listen to someone else's music overpowering the podcast I had on. I've had it happen before, but it's been years.

Dweeb. I used the cassette adapter.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

@Parody said in The Official Status Thread:

Dweeb. I used the cassette adapter.

This car has a CD and an audio in jack but no tape player. I had a tape adapter for my previous car, though I didn't use it much. I listened to burned CD mixes for years before getting this rebroadcaster. It has audio in as well as Bluetooth, so I could use my MP3 players for music and the Bluetooth for phone up until I got a smartphone with enough storage space to do everything.

My first car didn't have anything but a radio, so I took my Mom's old battery-powered office tape player with a speaker and played tapes in it with the sound turned way up. (I never had a boom box.)

• @Parody :belt_onion: thread is :arrows:.

• Status: Merry Christmas from :texas: to all y'all heathen bastards (and to the few of you non-heathens, too).

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek hey there, I resemble that remark!

Merry Christmas! 🎄

• Merry Christmas, 🇩🇪 version:
    WeihnachtsPils.jpg

• Merry Christmas from 🇨🇦

It's currently 5° Celcius here and there's no snow.

What a wondeful gift 😇

• @TimeBandit :texas:: 12°C and sunny. The forecast was for rain, and we had heavy rain yesterday morning, but it cleared off by afternoon, and it's beautiful today.

@dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

Updated Status: Foodstroke.

I watched this video called something like "why were gamers so OUTRAGED at Ultra Street Fighter 2?" What a waste of, I don't know, 15 minutes. His conclusion? ZOMG SO EXPENSIVE1!one. Because not a big update from some download-only HD remix released a few years earlier.

It was $40 in 2018. Not expensive. Apparently never dawned on him that physical flash card might also cost more than an e-store download. Don't know how the download version was priced because, like with all great comparison videos on YouTube, he "forgot" to say.

But the real kicker, like most video game people on YouTube, he has zero historical context because he's probably 12. I bought Street Fighter 2 Turbo back in 1993. It was $75. In 1993 dollars. Super Street Fighter 2, which I did not buy, was a whopping $85 in 1994 or 1995. The only console game that I remember costing more was Virtua Racer for the Genesis with its own SuperFX knockoff that was a $100 title.

Not sure why full price for each incremental update was perfectly fine until, suddenly, a major graphic overhaul wasn't worth 3/5 of full price paid in massively devalued 201X dollars.

• @Zenith because his ilk have been conditioned to expect that by the industry and its games (pun not intended) around monetisation.

Back in the day the games cost a shit-ton because physical manufacturing and also some of those games put extra hardware into the cartridge making it more expensive - but you bought the game and you got the game.

Now, of course, monetisation is full of dark patterns meaning the up-front price is probably smaller (putting aside 201x or 202x bucks vs 199x bucks) but they'll ream you other ways to make the bajillion dollars for infinity percent growth for the shareholders.

• @Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

It was $40 in 2018. Not expensive. Apparently never dawned on him that physical flash card might also cost more than an e-store download. Don't know how the download version was priced because, like with all great comparison videos on YouTube, he "forgot" to say.

I'm pretty sure I put more than $40 in quarters into the various iterations of Street Fighter II long before any HD remasters. 🤦🏻♂

• Status: The Hercules and Xena animated movie sure is weird.

• BINNED

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

It’s entertainment, you’re not supposed to take them seriously.

I watched this video called something like "why were gamers so OUTRAGED at Ultra Street Fighter 2?"

Ah, classic YouTube clickbait title. Everything is clickbait these days.
    Could’ve told you up front that whatever the video is, it’s got nothing to do with the title. And is probably shit.

More designs that I liked and wanted to reorder disappeared. But also, reading the subReddit, I learned they decided to split artists into two tiers this year. First tier, Artisan, is basically the old terms. Second tier, Apprentice, is royally screwed.

They not only reduced the commission down to $1 per sale, they removed apprentices and their designs from the search engine! As if the search engine wasn't temperamental enough already! The only way out of apprentice status is for the site staff to periodically (never) review your store. Lots of long-standing members with alot of sales are reporting being inexplicably downgraded and going right to $0. Sounds like eBay throttling all over again.

I keep reading through all the intellectual property documents on the site and it's clear as mud. They have an officially licensed fan art program but it sounds optional (with a greatly reduced number of partners since last I checked into it). But there are no other guidelines on fan art. It's like they look the other way and collect money until Warner or Disney fires off an DMCA takedown for a specific design.

• Enshittification comes for us all in the end.

• Banned

1. Begin with the key out of the ignition.

2. OPEN and UNLOCK the DRIVER'S side door. CLOSE all other doors including the trunk.

3. Within 5 seconds INSERT the key into the ignition and PULL it out TWICE.

4. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.

5. Insert key INTO the ignition then REMOVE it.

6. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.

7. Insert the key INTO the ignition and LEAVE it in ignition.

8. CLOSE the DRIVER's side door.

9. Switch the ignition to ON then OFF.

10. REMOVE the key from ignition.

11. The door locks will now cycle to confirm the vehicle has successfully entered programming mode.

12. PUSH and HOLD the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 1.5 seconds on the first remote being programmed. As soon as you let go PUSH the LOCK button and HOLD it for 2 seconds.

13. The door locks will cycle to confirm successful programming of the remote. If you have any additional remotes to program repeat step 12 if you have no additional remotes proceed to step 14.

14. OPEN the DRIVER'S side door. Programming is now complete.

• It's really weird how many designs have disappeared lately though. Probably 2/3 to 3/4 of everything I've ever ordered. Some of it I've found on other POD sites but not much. My sinking suspicion is that copyright claims will be the biggest use of AI. If they're fiddling with commissions and search on top of that, it may not be worthwhile to also fight unwarranted claims. Just upload and forget and ride the paychecks as long as they keep sending them.

• 🚽 Regular

@Gustav quoted in The Official Status Thread:

1. OPEN and UNLOCK the DRIVER'S side door.

It is important that you OPEN first and UNLOCK second.

@Gustav it really is too bad nobody has invented a better interface for the user. Say, something with buttons and some kind of status display. That sounds too futuristic.

• @Tsaukpaetra I believe the industry self-selects against anybody capable of designing a usable UI.

2. OPEN and UNLOCK the DRIVER'S side door. CLOSE all other doors including the trunk.

11. The door locks will now cycle to confirm the vehicle has successfully entered programming mode.

12. PUSH and HOLD the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 1.5 seconds on the first remote being programmed. As soon as you let go PUSH the LOCK button and HOLD it for 2 seconds.

13. The door locks will cycle to confirm successful programming of the remote. If you have any additional remotes to program repeat step 12 if you have no additional remotes proceed to step 14.

At least you can do it yourself and it doesn't need plugging into a dealer level diagnostic tool.

• @loopback0 said in The Official Status Thread:

At least you can do it yourself and it doesn't need plugging into a dealer level diagnostic tool.

Exactly. I have a friend who's pickup lost its synching with the key twice. Each time, he needs to tow the truck to the dealer to have it reconnected. Dodge :facepalm:

• status have to work today. Or at least pretend to.

@Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

status have to work today. Or at least pretend to.

I'm pretending to work all week.

Well, unless someone blows something up in the factory. Nobody would do that on holidays, right? ...?

Where's the up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A and Start step?

• @Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

status have to work today. Or at least pretend to.

I wish I could. The whole company is shut down this week, which means I don't get paid this week. Rather, I don't get paid next week for this week. I also don't get paid this week, because nobody was around to approve my time sheet for last week.

• @HardwareGeek said in The Official Status Thread:

The whole company is shut down this week

I've worked at companies like that before. Most have given us that week as free vacation. Some forced us to use our vacation. But that, of course, only applies to salaried people.

Yes, I'm "at work" today. (I did actually go into the office yesterday - had to run a simple test on the hardware. 3 hrs wasted there as I could never get the hardware to come up in a fully functioning state. sigh.)

• @dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

Some forced us to use our vacation.

Yeah, I've written in the Lounge about the company where I couldn't take a vacation any other time of year, because I needed to save it for December. But at least I had vacation to use. As a contractor, paid vacation doesn't exist.

• Status: It's almost 11:00. I should probably get up and eat breakfast.

I should also do something productive with the week off, but the productive things I want to do involve being out in my workshop, I seem to have the sneezing/runny nose/stuffy nose virus, and it's cold in my workshop.

• Java Dev

Status: TV is showing some doúble-and-more hockey sticks championship where I was trying to figure if it was taking place in Sweden or Canada, due to a seemingly even divide between nationality of sponsors. Methinks Svenska Spel and Tim Horton's are endemic to their respective countries at least so seeing ads for them next to each other is weird.