The Official Status Thread

• @HardwareGeek, @Tsaukpaetra
    @HardwareGeek said in The Official Status Thread:

The entire prepaid.bankofamerica.com subdomain has been returning 302 Moved Temporarily for at least two days, and the URL it's "moved" to ...

Some time ago there was talk here about login pages breaking if directly accesed (like in bookmark or a link from a search result).

By example a local bank at www.bank.com has a link to www.bank.com/online , you click on the link and land at the login page, all is good.

If you search bank in google, it presents a main link to the root and some secondary links, with one pointing to /online

Clicking this link gives a 'page unavailable, try later' or some similar error, and further atemps to reach the login page, even starting from the root will fail. It took some days to return to normality.

This was on Vivaldi, and switching to FF and navigating from the root allowed to login while Vivaldi would remain returning the error page.

And, after doing the needfull at the bank and logout, following the google link to /online in FF got the same error page. 🦐 🍌 :surprised-pikachu:

This was 3 or 4 months ago, not in the '90s

• Notification Spam Recipient

• Java Dev

Status: In the most difficult choice of the year I finally picked Shield for the next generation of Pokémon. Now I just need to wait the remaining 13 hours until I can play it too...

Consider a cyclist. Dressed in black. Rides a black bicycle. Does not have any of those yellow side-reflectors in their wheels. Sports a disco-strobe front and a red rear light, but neither is that visible from the side. Ignores (or is ignorant of) traffic laws and regulations, riding straight across lightless crosswalks at 16:30. In Finland, in November. While it happens to rain.

Now, assume that they get hit by a car while crossing the road. Should it be counted as an accident or a suicide?

I nearly ran one over yesterday. That I saw them at all was a miracle; that I could stop in time was another.

• @acrow said in The Official Status Thread:

Should it be counted as an accident or a suicide?

I was thinking "reckless endangerment" or "criminal negligence" but those seem to apply only when you're hurting third parties so I don't know.

• Status: enjoying the usual "spend your department money before the end of the year" rush to get a quote for a new work laptop. If it goes through, I will finally be rid of non-SSDs!

Does anyone know if I can plug several external screens, and what resolution is supported, on a Quadro RTX 3000 or a Quadro T2000 (those are the two cards that are available in my company)?

Finding out by myself is almost impossible, typing a video card name in Google seems to automatically and almost exclusively invoke pages full of incomprehensible jargon and nerd-wank about something like how many nanometres wide the clock rate per GB is, as if that really was something anyone would care about...

• Java Dev

@acrow said in The Official Status Thread:

Consider a cyclist. Dressed in black. Rides a black bicycle. Does not have any of those yellow side-reflectors in their wheels. Sports a disco-strobe front and a red rear light, but neither is that visible from the side. Ignores (or is ignorant of) traffic laws and regulations, riding straight across lightless crosswalks at 16:30. In Finland, in November. While it happens to rain.

Now, assume that they get hit by a car while crossing the road. Should it be counted as an accident or a suicide?

If it were in NL? Attempted manslaughter through recklessness by the car's driver. While reflectors (side, front, rear, and pedals) are required here, and lights should be lit continuously.

I know cyclists are the weaker party in traffic and need to be protected but we're overdoing it.

• BINNED

Thanks for accusing me of (maybe) criminal behavior for trying to access my own money using the public website intended for that purpose.

Isn't that standard operating procedure when dealing with US government related sites?

I remember that for the visa waiver program there's some kind of warning like that. It's top notch security, too. Basically says you can check your application by just entering a passport number (no technical restrictions), but if you enter someone else's number that's a crime.

• BINNED

@remi said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: enjoying the usual "spend your department money before the end of the year" rush to get a quote for a new work laptop.

At the other end of that stick right now, I need to write an offer for a customer who has miraculously found some money left to spend, but needs to spend it now for services next year.
    They also need it labeled as something that it really isn't to get their budget accepted, so I have to come up with some creative services to offer them that just happen to include what they actually want.

Fucking bean counters.

• Considered Harmful

@remi Entirely depends on the make and model, and whether you also purchase a dock, and then what kind. 15" will most likely have a single HDMI 2.0 (ports are hard! ). 17" will usually have 1 HDMI & 1 DP. Docks will have a shitload, but 2x4K@60 is still the limit. 3x4K@60 may be possible, if dGPU can be routed to USB-C or Thunderbolt. Afaik, Dell Precision + WD19TB should support that combination (because it's supposed to, considering). Or is it 3x4K@30? The rest - fuck knows, probably not. Quadros themselves are cut-down desktop chips, so it rests entirely upon how the rest of the crap is wired.

But, honestly, using any sort of laptop that way is pissing money in the wind, because it's a shit idea to begin with. Get a proper workstation or introduce cluebat into the situation.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Well, unless you type the URL precisely I guess?

Except I wasn't typing it at all. I started by refreshing the tab I already had open, then going back in my history to the original login page, then chopping off the trailing path component to get the subdomain's root page. Nothing gets me anything but /PageNotFound.html. And that's the only way I have to get access to that money. (I left the card behind in California because I've never used the card; I've always just transferred the money to my checking account and used my regular debit card.)

• @cabrito said in The Official Status Thread:

Some time ago there was talk here about login pages breaking if directly accesed (like in bookmark or a link from a search result).
    By example a local bank at www.bank.com has a link to www.bank.com/online , you click on the link and land at the login page, all is good.

IIRC, there was no link to follow in the first place. I got the card in the mail with a paper letter saying "Go to this website to activate your card, check your balance, transfer money, etc." So I had to type in the URL to start.

• @topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

Isn't that standard operating procedure when dealing with US government related sites?

This isn't a government site; it's a bank website. So bottom of the barrel functionality and "security".

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in The Official Status Thread:

@remi Entirely depends on the make and model, and whether you also purchase a dock, and then what kind. 15" will most likely have a single HDMI 2.0 (ports are hard! ). 17" will usually have 1 HDMI & 1 DP. Docks will have a shitload, but 2x4K@60 is still the limit. 3x4K@60 may be possible, if dGPU can be routed to USB-C or Thunderbolt. Afaik, Dell Precision + WD19TB should support that combination (because it's supposed to, considering). Or is it 3x4K@30? The rest - fuck knows, probably not. Quadros themselves are cut-down desktop chips, so it rests entirely upon how the rest of the crap is wired.

That last bit might explain why finding that info isn't easy... Anyway, I'll have a dock as well (at work, not at home, but then at home I'll have a single external screen anyway), and it's indeed going to be a Precision + WD19TB (or DC if I go for the 17'' I think?), so I should be covered for up to 2 screens in 4K, which is what I need. So it seems I don't need to worry about that part, which is good.

But, honestly, using any sort of laptop that way is pissing money in the wind, because it's a shit idea to begin with. Get a proper workstation or introduce cluebat into the situation.

Meh. I need a laptop because I work from home a significant fraction of my time, plus meetings and travels. So if I get a workstation, I'll need a laptop on the side anyway (I could keep the one I have or get a cheap new one, that's not an issue, but the point is I would need to deal with 2 computers). Additionally, the standard IT policy of my company is that we're supposed to only have a laptop and connect remotely on servers to do the grunt work (which doesn't work for me since I'm developing some cross-team stuff that does not work on the servers, but that's the rules from above...), so they'll probably refuse to buy me a workstation.

At that point, while I agree that getting a beefier workstation for the same price would be better for my dev work, everything else around this makes having a laptop a much more practical idea overall.

• Status: Well, that was most unpleasant. I was reading about C++ constexprs in the Coding Challenge: Minesweeper thread when my bowels decided to explode; I barely made it to the bathroom in time. While that may be a common reaction to C++, this is the first time I've had it be literal.

Moral: Avoid C++ constexpr (or C++ entirely, if possible).

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Status: Still chasing the technical debt dragon in my build chain.

• @HardwareGeek said in The Official Status Thread:

in the Coding Challenge: Minesweeper thread when my bowels decided to explode

Should've been more careful looking at the numbers

• Status: Perplexed by offsetLeft and other dimensional properties on a multi-line spanning inline HTML element.

@izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: Still chasing the technical debt dragon in my build chain.

Apparently I fubar'd a merge into the branch in question, so when I thought I was merging the new dependency updates from last week that fixed this build chain problem, I actually just made it so the branch never did them, but figured it was on speaking terms with master again.

:mlp_ugh:

• @anonymous234 said in The Official Status Thread:

Should it be counted as an accident or a suicide?

I was thinking "reckless endangerment" or "criminal negligence" but those seem to apply only when you're hurting third parties so I don't know.

well you are endangering the driver of the car. their actions in attempting to avoid hitting your stupid ass could very well put them in jeopardy, or put other pedestrians in jeopardy who otherwise would not have been endangered.

Seems to apply to me.

• Considered Harmful

fubar'd

Could've done worse.

Filed under: Off by one 🐠

• @Applied-Mediocrity said in The Official Status Thread:

fubar'd

Could've done worse.

Filed under: Off by one 🐠

clippy: Did you mean "off by 15 days"?

• Status

0f03a1a8-29b7-42c7-82d4-7bbdf4bd8d33-image.png

Status: Waiting for automated tests to finish for the deployment.

Jeopardy theme intensifies

Status: Waiting for automated tests to finish for the deployment.

You have automated tests? 👯♂

• @status

oh look... @Tsaukpaetra 's awake and reading the forums.... o/

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Except I wasn't typing it at all. I started by refreshing the tab I already had open, then going back in my history to the original login page, then chopping off the trailing path component to get the subdomain's root page. Nothing gets me anything but /PageNotFound.html. And that's the only way I have to get access to that money. (I left the card behind in California because I've never used the card; I've always just transferred the money to my checking account and used my regular debit card.)

What are the odds bofa is going "oh, you're not in CA. Fuck right off."

• @izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wi8Fv0AJA4
    Pretty chill, actually.

I think you need something more like this:
    https://youtu.be/HyaVhIKijyM?list=PL79F7F15FFC0F7804

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

• @dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

What are the odds bofa is going "oh, you're not in CA. Fuck right off."

Certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

Edit: I can access it from my work laptop at the office. It's just my desktop and/or the hotel network it doesn't like. Unfortunately, that's the only place I have my keepass db with my login credentials at the moment. I'll have to remedy that this evening.

that's the only place I have my keepass db

Living on the dangerous side, eh?

the hotel network it doesn't like

Hm. Man-in-the-middle? Wouldn't put that past hotel networks...

• @dcon Considering how badly the network works, it's more like air gap in the middle.

318844d2-633f-4fe0-9606-8c63370150a1-image.png

Normally it's a nullptr it's trying to get at but not in this instance...

Edit: Fuck muffins.

38e2a8d8-353a-4a30-8405-531a65ee58c4-image.png

But it still throws...

• Banned

@Tsaukpaetra when in doubt, put debug prints in destructors.

@Gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

@Tsaukpaetra when in doubt, put debug prints in destructors.

An interesting hint, but considering there's usually hundreds of these things spawned and despawned regularly that likely won't help.

I wonder if I can put in a reference to this instead... Should still work if I take no the logic that brought me to that point and shifted it down into the callback...

• Banned

@Tsaukpaetra also. Have you tried static code analysis tool, such as cppcheck? They're surprisingly good at finding memory problems.

I can access it from my work laptop at the office. It's just my desktop and/or the hotel network it doesn't like.

Hmm, it works from IE on the desktop on the hotel network; it's just Firefox it doesn't like. However, even from IE I still can't get my money. To log in, it needs not only my username, dumb reCaptcha, and password; it needs the 3-digit security code from the back of my card — the card that's 1800 miles away.

15737843924194379103746432283058.jpg

@Tsaukpaetra also. Have you tried static code analysis tool, such as cppcheck? They're surprisingly good at finding memory problems.

Last few I tried crashed and caused a fire. Maybe I'll try again when I'm bored.

Status: anyone want Re installation discs for a 2002 Dell desktop?

15737895330948609374992871934544.jpg

• @remi Just remember to check the rated wattage of that laptop before you order it. No, that's not a joke.

The difference between a mobile workstation and an 8-core marketing joke is that one of them is capable of supplying more than 20W to the CPU continuously. You'll also want sufficient cooling to keep the clock rates up for longer than 3 seconds (F U ).

I can access it from my work laptop at the office. It's just my desktop and/or the hotel network it doesn't like.

Hmm, it works from IE on the desktop on the hotel network; it's just Firefox it doesn't like. However, even from IE I still can't get my money. To log in, it needs not only my username, dumb reCaptcha, and password; it needs the 3-digit security code from the back of my card — the card that's 1800 miles away.

Called my son; got him to read me the security code from the card (from two of them; not sure which is the right one). Site won't accept it. It took a bunch of tries to get KeePass to generate a password that complied with their unwritten rules for what special characters are allowed, and maybe I didn't save the final one.

Try the "forgot password" link. Get the email with the one-time access code. Enter my username, recaptcha, SSN, and card security code. Nope; try again. Back to the username, recaptcha, SSN and the other card security code. Nope; no money for you.

Status: Do I seriously not have two functional IDE DVD-RW drives?!?

Goddam this was supposed to be an easy repair, but apparently letting your drive bands sit in one position for a long time is not good for them. Who knew?

Suggestions on how to put the "O" back into these o-rings?

15738057778998498200337955256700.jpg

• BINNED

The clang static analyzer has also come a long way.

• BINNED

Fuck muffins.

this is similar to american pie but smaller?

• @acrow said in The Official Status Thread:

@remi Just remember to check the rated wattage of that laptop before you order it. No, that's not a joke.

The difference between a mobile workstation and an 8-core marketing joke is that one of them is capable of supplying more than 20W to the CPU continuously. You'll also want sufficient cooling to keep the clock rates up for longer than 3 seconds (F U ).

Uh, I never thought that might be an issue... Unfortunately that's not the kind of number that's easily accessible on standard sales pages. Or is it? I can see the power usage of the CPU, the power output of the charger or docking station (and the battery size), but I can't even see the power output of the internal power supply, and no hint of how much of that is available to the CPU (or MB). Same for cooling, there is nothing at all about it.

In any case, I'm limited to the models that corporate IT has on offer (all Dell Precisions), I might be able to tweak a bit the configuration but nothing more than that. So there is little point lamenting on whether they're good or not, that's what I'll get anyway.

Although I don't mind, even if it's not great. It will always be better than my 5 yo current laptop (which doesn't even have an SSD!), and I'll be getting it "for free" as far as I am concerned, so why should I not want it?

• Java Dev

@remi Just remember to check the rated wattage of that laptop before you order it. No, that's not a joke.

You mean it is not OK for the distance between the CPU and the heatsink to be multiple centimeters?

@PleegWat said in The Official Status Thread:

You mean it is not OK for the distance between the CPU and the heatsink to be multiple centimeters?

@Tsaukpaetra said in Discord>>WTDWTF#general:

I'm somewhat surprised this CPU is turboing to 23.7 GHz under load despite having poor contact with the heat sink and crusted-off thermal compound...

• Banned

@remi said in The Official Status Thread:

any case, I'm limited to the models that corporate IT has on offer (all Dell Precisions),

Don't worry, they're good laptops. We've been issued them as well. Fast CPU that's actually fast, 3-ish hours of battery life and not just when idle, and doesn't overheat. The only problem is that they're HEAVY AS HELL. And on my unit specifically, the nipple mouse is broken and had to disable the driver for it or I had random mouse movements all the time. The touchpad doesn't always register either.