The Official Status Thread

• @ben_lubar is Doing It Wrong™

• !LikeBot ? Wrong

• Factoid error: Post does not have a reply-to

• FoxDev

@riking, a teeny weeny tiny little ickle bickle requesty: keep the bot testing to the bot testing thread please? ;)
    <That is officially the cutest thing I've ever typed; I rate it 750 milliMillas

• @RaceProUK said:

bot testing tot

Does @riking need a reminder about child labor laws?

==> /home/ben/df_linux/data/movies/df-ai-1423368893.cmv <==
    4h51m59.94s GAME END
    Conquered

Your strength has been broken.
    ==> /home/ben/df_linux/data/movies/df-ai-1423389012.cmv <==
    3h53m3.56s GAME END
    Withered

Your settlement has crumbled to its end.
    ==> /home/ben/df_linux/data/movies/df-ai-1423586093.cmv <==
    11h11m31.14s GAME END
    Withered

Status: I apparently have three videos of Dwarf Fortress and the rest are some fictional game that doesn't have an ending.

• FoxDev

@abarker said:

@RaceProUK said:
    bot testing tot

I @accalia'd 😊

• @RaceProUK said:

@abarker said:

I @accalia'd 😊

Such slip-ups shall not go unpunished for you!

• Status: I just realized that the reason Crystal Maiden was okay with five whatsits and a jacket was that she has six inventory slots. Clever, Valve. Very clever.

• @RaceProUK said:

I suggest a good hearty belch

Paging @Luhmann

• @Luhmann said:

The customer is scrapped

What's the scrap value of a customer these days?

• @tar said:

Is PERL not correct, then?

Perl (or perl or PERL) is not named after a person. It is an initialism, so all-caps would be proper; however, the actual name of the program on case-sensitive OSs is all-lower, and the Perl documentation uses "Perl." As in all things Perl, "There's more than one way to do it."

That includes expansion of the initialism. Although it nominally means Practical Extraction and Report Language, Larry Wall says "Perl actually stands for Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister, but don't tell anyone I said that."

• poop eoop roop loop

• Status: another round of Slashdot whining over SystemD: http://linux.slashdot.org/story/15/02/11/0444232/is-modern-linux-becoming-too-complex?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed Awesome.

... also installing Evolve on my Xbone.

• @RaceProUK said:

Corsa. They're good cars.

This made no sense to me until I found out they're actually made in Germany. I knew that was a statement that cannot be made about any British cars. [spoiler]Rolls Royces are "good" only because the requisite mechanic is included as standard equipment, and stows neatly in the boot when not in use. ;P [/spoiler]

• @ben_lubar said:

Does that mean no more DF screenshots or videos posted here???

• au contraire:

#!/bin/bash

#==> /home/ben/df_linux/data/movies/df-ai-1423368893.cmv <==
    #47.14s GAME START
    #A Dwarven Outpost
    #
    #You  have  arrived.   After  a  journey  from  the  Mountainhomes  into  the
    #forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally  ended. Your party
    #of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of Adcog.
    #There   are  almost   no  supplies   left,  but   with  stout  labor   comes
    #sustenance. Whether by bolt, plow or hook, provide for your dwarves. You are
    #expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but  it is Spring
    #now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the giant dingoes get hungry.
    #A  new chapter  of dwarven history begins  here at  this place, ònulthosbut,
    #"Mirroreddrill". Strike the earth!
    #4h51m59.94s GAME ENDING
    #Conquered
    #
    #Your strength has been broken.
    #4h52m0.86s
    # http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10576
    ../cmv2y4m/cmv2y4m /home/ben/df_linux/data/movies/df-ai-1423368893.cmv | \
            ffmpeg -f yuv4mpegpipe -i - \
            -preset placebo -qp 0 cmv01.mp4

#==> /home/ben/df_linux/data/movies/df-ai-1423389012.cmv <==
    #47.16s GAME START
    #A Dwarven Outpost
    #
    #of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of Tekkud Fikod.
    #now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the polar bears get hungry. A
    #new  chapter of  dwarven history begins  here at  this place,  Delershelret,
    #"Steeltrances". Strike the earth!
    #3h53m3.56s GAME ENDING
    #Withered
    #
    #Your settlement has crumbled to its end.
    #3h53m5.2s
    # http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10577
    ../cmv2y4m/cmv2y4m /home/ben/df_linux/data/movies/df-ai-1423389012.cmv | \
            -preset placebo -qp 0 cmv02.mp4

#==> /home/ben/df_linux/data/movies/df-ai-1423586093.cmv <==
    #47.16s GAME START
    #A Dwarven Outpost
    #
    #of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of Rith Dum.
    #now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the giant dingoes get hungry.
    #A  new  chapter  of  dwarven  history begins  here at  this place,  Idmasos,
    #"Rockstalked". Strike the earth!
    #11h11m31.14s GAME ENDING
    #Withered
    #
    #Your settlement has crumbled to its end.
    #11h11m35.58s
    # http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10578
    ../cmv2y4m/cmv2y4m /home/ben/df_linux/data/movies/df-ai-1423586093.cmv | \
            -t 6:00:00  -preset placebo -qp 0 cmv03.mp4 \
            -ss 6:00:00 -preset placebo -qp 0 cmv04.mp4

• @ben_lubar said:

au contraire:

I sad.

• @Onyx said:

Why does Volkswagen name half their cars after sports, only to then switch to one named after a wind, and the just completely lose the plot and starts using random shit?

Fuck knows, that's why.

As a kid I always thought passat was named after the tall ship moored in HamburgTravemünde1.

1Built in Hamburg, now a museum ship in Travemünde

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said:

scrap value of a customer

Less then the value of the precious metals in those old servers

• @Luhmann said:

Less thean

FTFY

• kills Dumbledore

Have we built something that’s too complex to understand and debug?

Yes, Linux developers. Yes you have

• BINNED

@Onyx said:

Saved for monthly avatar. We get a surprising amount of earthquakes here in Dallas.

• Status: Just remembered I have to schedule an inspection of my water heater install, which also gives me a good reason to work from home friday. Yay.

• BINNED

Status: Started writing a status message ... ending up writing half a front-page article.

• Status: Absolutely loving that open-source Linux stability. My fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 does not boot. I just installed it yesterday afternoon!!!

• BINNED

Once upon a time I made a small InfoPath form for some SharePoint list, mainly to do some validation and limit user choices. To make the form behave I added some Microsoft SharePoint © FairyDust e.g. it does something silly like pulling a value from a different list and store it in the current list because you can't correctly reference the actual value directly at all places in the damn form. And all was well.
    That faithful day however an Black Magician of the old and mighty Management Order passed by our small, peaceful kingdom. Seeing the orderly state of the kingdom he felt great wrath and unleashed his magic. He shouted evil spells in an old, foul language, only heard in countries far away, over the great misty mountains in the dark lands of Access. White and yellow sparks shot out of his wizards wand creating list items all over the peaceful kingdom. With the sound of thunder the wizard vanished in a puff of smoke leaving only a vague smell of fish.
    Items created by the wizard lacked the magic FairyDust bits and the peasants normal tools couldn't handle these strange items. Every time a peasant touched such an item the sky would darken and one single thunderbolt would strike the poor peasant.
    Luckily the young prince of the kingdom knew his own magic. After hours of tedious preparation he casts his spell of The WorkFlow. A wind started to blow from over the ocean towards the mountains. First softly hardly a whisper but soon roaring like a storm. The WorkFlow crossed the land touching every Item and making up every missing bit with extra sticky FairyDust to make up for the missing bits.
    Once the storm was gone and the dust was settled the peasants feasted for several days of their local brew they called 'coffee'.
    The prince wrote a strongly worded letter to the wizard to keeps his paws of the kingdom and to never talk the foal Access language again. He called forth a great Messenger Eagle, called Outlook, to bring his letter to the wizard, high up on the Mountain of Management. A mountain a mere mortal could not climb because it was covered in sharp BuzzWords.

• FoxDev

..... lolwut? that shouldn't fail that quickly!

what kind of computer did you isntall that on?

• @accalia said:

..... lolwut? that shouldn't fail that quickly!

...It should take at least a couple of more days.

• kills Dumbledore

Since yesterday afternoon, did you accidentally type rm -rf /*?

• HP Z420 Workstation, which is our standard hardware at work. I'm reinstalling but if it dies again I'm switching to CentOS 7, I have to get our hardware working in Red Hat land eventually anyway.

• FoxDev

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

...It should take at least a couple of more days.

well if this was Arch Linux i would have expected that. that one has a history of borking my installs, but ubuntu is generally stable.

the failure mode i see in ubuntu is most often.... well exactly what's happening to this droplet.... things just get slowly weird over time untill someone says to hades with it and reinstalls.

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

the failure mode i see in ubuntu is most often.... well exactly what's happening to this droplet.... things just get slowly weird over time untill someone says to hades with it and reinstalls.

Ah.

The Windows Method™.

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

The Windows Method™.

I'm no professional sysadmin. at some point it's just simpler to nuke it from orbit.

i'm sure a professional full time sysadmin could rescue the system but i am not she.

• Also, Discourse on Windows Phone sucks. UI elements are semi-randomly jumping and teleporting around on my screen.

• Garbage Person

... You have to what? The inspectors here only want to come out if you actually changed shit. I.e. The pipes and wires aren't configured the same way. A straight disconnect, swap and reconnect isn't worth the fuel for them to look.

Of course, these are the same inspectors that, when I was building my garage, did the following two inspections:

1. After drilling the footer holes (total of 20), walk up to one, look around at the waiting concrete truck without looking down, say "that looks deep enough", and sign the slip.
    2. After completion, pull into the driveway, get out, walk exterior perimeter (with exactly zero visible structural elements) , sign slip.

• BINNED

Good story. I gave 4 stars because the eagle was not named Outlook. Will give 5 stars if you fix eagle name in patch.

• @Weng said:

... You have to what?

Schedule an inspection for my water heater install.

@Weng said:

The inspectors here only want to come out if you actually changed shit. I.e. The pipes and wires aren't configured the same way.

1. I don't live in the same place as you,
    2. They did change shit, remember? They installed new flexible piping, they installed an expansion tank, new earthquake straps, etc. According to this paperwork, installing an expansion tank alone requires inspection in my city.

@Weng said:

A straight disconnect, swap and reconnect isn't worth the fuel for them to look.

Yeah well I'm paying $80 for the privilege.

• Garbage Person

Ahh. I didn't realize there was actual reconfiguration involved.

And they charge for inspection!? Jesus.

• Yeah, well, we have much lower sales taxes than King County so I guess it all evens-out in the end.

Status: Contemplating quitting my job out of the blue without any current or foreseeable prospects because of how miserable I feel at work, and knowing it won't get better any time soon, especially due to a project that will turn into a crunch time/bunch of overtime due to bad planning and more and more items being tacked on.

• Status: This company uses the Atlassian stack. Tuesday, Confluence was broken. Yesterday, JIRA was broken. Today, Stash is broken. To their credit, our IT guys are fixing these things pretty fast, but sheesh. As if I needed more reasons to hate Java.

EDIT: wow this bug fix would go about 40,000 times easier if I could see a diff between this branch and Develop, but without Stash it's all 503 Service Unavailable all the time forever.

EDIT EDIT:

It's even better. Git clients return 503, but the website returns a 404 after failing to find a page named "fatal.jsp". Awesome. Rock on, Atlassian.

• The COO still hasn't approved the annual budget for the IT department, which is why my raise hasn't gone through. My boss told the COO that my raise will be retroactive as of the beginning of the month. No questions asked.
    • The 3rd party company that we've been helping get off the ground will be compensating me once they start selling. No indication of whether that will be profit sharing or an additional paycheck. This comes from the owners of the other company as we start UAT/beta at one of our facilities.
    • I need to start looking for a Jr. dev to bring on. 2-3 years experience so that we can train them in our processes.

All of this as I am preparing for a second round interview that I have lined up for tomorrow.

Given those first two points, I'm starting to second guess my decision to leave. Let's wait and see what happens after my boss meets with the COO on Monday.

• Java Dev

@abarker said:

Given those first two points, I'm starting to second guess my decision to leave.

Then again, pessimism suggests that the promise of the first two may be intended to keep you there only long enough for the third to happen.