The Official Status Thread

• :belt_onion:

@anotherusername said in The Official Status Thread:

@tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: Amazon reversed three of the five orders I placed on Saturday. Then charged me again today. I nearly had a heart attack, as that would overdraw that account (it's not used to high value transfers). Luckily (?) BoA seems to be applying the pending reversals in front of everything else so my balance is still (barely) positive....

Amazon is usually awful about not charging you for ages (I think they charge when your item actually gets boxed / ships, which apparently can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 days). I can't recall them ever having charged, then reversed it, then charged again though.

I'd blame seller shenanigans. (I shipped it! Wait, actually I didn't, hold on..... Now I shipped it, k?)

• @magus said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: We almost figured out the problem. Then we almost figured out the new problem. 23 iterations later, we're almost there...

Ah. You're in the "We fixed the problem. Now we have 2 more." phase... BTDT.

• @pleegwat said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: Considering ways to generate enough network traffic to significantly load our product, but not so heavily that the network fabric gets swamped (which would invalidate the results).

NetFlix? Oh wait, the NN thread is :arrows:

• @dcon If I didn't know @PleegWat lives elsewhere, I would have worried that he's on my team. We are deep in that problem.

Except that 'enough to swamp it' is 1000 for us. Which is beyond stupid.

@dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

Ah. You're in the "We fixed the problem. Now we have 2 more." phase... BTDT.

We've been there ever since we got handed this project from other people. We're doomed.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Status: So, a few months ago, my project resulted in one of our mainline applications exceeding timeout thresholds because the database calls on a server I had only minimally touched (to apply proper NUMA configuration) got a little bit slower as a result of those changes tipping the bad code over the breaking point. So, being the sucker who knocked over the Jenga tower, I got to fix it. And the fixes lifted the performance limits on the application by an order of magnitude, everywhere except one pair of pages in a single workflow, where the UI (for technical reasons) had to handle all of the data from the database in a single set, rather than retreiving one page at a time from the database layer.1 So, a follow up project was submitted to have the app implement pagination for the large data sets it was struggling with on the two bad pages.

Fast forward to today, when they pull me in to provide a technical cross-check on the demo of the fix, in prep for going to production. Fix is working pretty well, everything seems pretty good...
    izzion "uh, did that last demo only process the last page worth of records, instead of the entire data set?"
    👨 "hm, I think you're right"
    more reproductions

Apparently they managed to implement the pagination in such a way that if you don't load any additional pages2, the entire data set gets passed back to the data layer for the next step of processing. And if you load many additional pages (the first demo went through like 10 or 12 additional pages of data in the pre-processing verification page), the entire data set gets passed back to the data layer. But if you only load 3 or 4 additional pages (the numbers we tested with, we didn't try to find the exact edges of the bug within the demo meeting), then only the last page loaded into the UI gets passed back for the next step of processing. Back to the drawing board!

1 Yes, pagination in the data tier is TR:wtf:, but I didn't have enough political capital left after breaking this and all the other crap that broke on the core part of my project that I could push the pagination out to the app layer. Plus, there was so much data tier tuning overhead that it could be "fixed" there a lot faster than paginating in the app.
    2 Infiniscroll FTW. Extremely glad this is an SEP. Though kind of a little weirded out and intrigued as to how the problem arose.

• Java Dev

STATUS: Found a mystery in my house. Will need to investigate it properly after the work trip. Initial investigation of the cellar showed it looked like it consisted of two rooms. But I think there are three.

0_1511908844587_källare.png

So, the properly usable part is the large room which contains enough spiderwebs to double as the spider caves from Diablo 2. Going further inside is a very low-ceiling (or more properly high-floored) room that was used as potato storage back when the yard was a field for growing potatoes. At the back end of the potato storage room is a hole in the wall with a copper plate and beoynd that it looks like a third room, as I couldn't get the measurements of the cellar rooms to line up with the size of the house. The black square in the middle is the foundation for the chimney.

Very odd. I wonder what I'll find there.

• @atazhaia said in The Official Status Thread:

Very odd. I wonder what I'll find there.

If we don't see any updates, we'll know where to send Search&Rescue...

• area_pol

Yeah, we will tell them to look behind the potato room.

• @adynathos said in The Official Status Thread:

Yeah, we will tell them to look behind the potato room.

And don't touch the copper plate!

• @dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

Search&Rescue

+ the orange substituting for copper in the image.....

CONTEXTUAL MATCH FOUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD-_oLjmCGY

• 🚽 Regular

@cursorkeys said in The Official Status Thread:

Unable to deliver message to: <root> Delivery failed for the following reason: <lJOHTNRGEeeiugzE> invalid address 'root' found in queue

Oh good, it's getting worse. Just got a monitoring email that a mail queue is now full of messages basically saying that it can't resolve its own hostname. It's 11pm so I'm going to pretend I didn't see that and look at it in the morning.

• Java Dev

@magus So what you're saying is when I get trapped I will have some japanese guys show up and give me orange juice? Hm, I suppose it could be worse...

• @atazhaia It's one of the most legendarily silly ads I've ever seen.

At least these guys won't show up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a36ur-iC9Fc

• @atazhaia has @Lorne-Kates been anywhere in your vicinity? If so, you might want a hazmat suit.

@benjamin-hall
    And an airtight alibi.

Just had to answer a bunch of unexpected static code analysis findings (against code that hasn't changed in a month, but apparently the analysis parameters have changed in that time). Luckily I was able to brush off a lot of it with "That code isn't in production; it dates back to the mainframe days."

Just why is it still in the codebase (and still being compiled), then, you may ask? ... An excellent question, and if there are no further questions for the class... :/

• Considered Harmful

Status: I am quite fucked. My phone charging port, flaky for a few days, has now stopped working entirely. I have about 10% before it dies. A wireless charger does not arrive until the 1st.

• 🚽 Regular

@pie_flavor said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: I am quite fucked. My phone charging port, flaky for a few days, has now stopped working entirely. I have about 10% before it dies. A wireless charger does not arrive until the 1st.

Try making a shim with paper to go betwixt the top or bottom of the socket and the connector, quite a lot of the time it's a contact issue.

I have a dev kit on my desk at work that is only working due to the bit of paper jammed in it :)

• Considered Harmful

@cursorkeys said in The Official Status Thread:

@pie_flavor said in The Official Status Thread:

Try making a shim with paper to go betwixt the top or bottom of the socket and the connector, quite a lot of the time it's a contact issue.

I have a dev kit on my desk at work that is only working due to the bit of paper jammed in it :)

Negatory.

Apparently I can get it fixed for about $60, which is a hell of a lot better than the $350 the Verizon store wanted. Something about resoldering the port to the flex cable rather than replacing the flex cable (which would necessitate removing the screen (which is fragile as shit on the S7 Edge)).

• @gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

@heterodox said in The Official Status Thread:

a life-altering career change

My current career is "unemployed".

When I was young enough to be in the military, I was too liberal-pacifist to consider it, and not unemployed. By the time I had come to understand the honor deserved by those who have risked their lives to serve our country and wish I deserved that honor, and unemployed long enough to think it might be a reasonable career change, I was at least a couple of decades too old to qualify.

• Banned

@hardwaregeek what honor is there in serving in foreign army?

• @atazhaia said in The Official Status Thread:

I wonder what I'll find there.

I predict: More spider webs.

@hardwaregeek what honor is there in serving in foreign army?

If it's not your country, and you're just doing it for money, not much. If it is your country, by birth or by choice, you deserve the respect and gratitude of the citizens of the country you are defending.

Status: Hooo leeee fuck. I just hit a 10000+:1 random event in FF14 on a week when the reward for hitting that event was actually fairly decent. :o

what honor is there in serving in foreign army?

If you're talking about the US military, it's one of the largest charity organizations on the planet. (Which, yes, also happens to maintain combat readiness.)

There are hundreds of American sailors and pilots right now helping Argentina find their missing submarine (whenever ANY maritime disaster happens, you bet your ass the US Navy is there first), building infrastructure in countries that desperately need it, loading up ships with foods and supplies to deliver during the next natural disaster, etc. When a bridge on I5 here in Washington State collapsed, who was there to put it back up? The Army Corps of Engineers.

There's a really shitty awful season of Doctor Who which, although it's shitty and awful, has this great character who's an ex-soldier who now teaches at an elementary school, and every character in the series asks him if he's ever killed someone and he always replies, annoyed as shit, "I DUG WELLS!"

That's what the modern military is like for the vast majority of those serving. You just don't hear about it because it's not "exciting" enough for the news.

• @izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

I just hit a 10000+:1 random event in FF14

Wow! Even @Lorne-Kates would say you should upgrade to FF22.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@izzion said in The Official Status Thread:

Status: Hooo leeee fuck. I just hit a 10000+:1 random event in FF14 on a week when the reward for hitting that event was actually fairly decent. :o

0_1511933641176_6dee7b8d-5f51-420f-9b41-114d6cd0013a-image.png

Does that count?

• Seen on my way home this evening, bumper stickers you're unlikely to see outside Silicon Valley:

I'd rather be coding in Haskell (Yes, in monospace, Courier-like typeface)

In case of DARPA challenge, this vehicle will be unmanned

@magus said in The Official Status Thread:

Well, somewhat. Stilil terrbly low on resources, but I'm playing a little catchuip before I sleep.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

what honor is there in serving in foreign army?

Is it the French Foreign Legion? If so, you get to capitulate on someone else's behalf. What could be more honourable than that?

Status: HDMI cord has apparently been worn enough that I'm getting constant signal interruptions. But strangely enough, that's not enough to convince Windows the monitor has disconnected, so for now 🤷🏽♂

• Status

Waiting for my car to go through mandatory technical exam so that I can extend my license.

It's always such a sham. Of course they will make sure that I pass. Otherwise I'll go elsewhere and they won't get my money.

Capitalism FTW.

• 0_1511944248096_c8c5010f-89f1-4ffd-a3e6-2d5ddb9af992-image.png

• Java Dev

@hardwaregeek said in The Official Status Thread:

@atazhaia said in The Official Status Thread:

I wonder what I'll find there.

I predict: More spider webs.

I am unsure about that tbh. There spiders seems to prefer the main room (probably because it has a radiator and is kept relatively warm). The potato storage seemed lacking in spiders but it is also a colder area as there's no heating there, it just gets whatever drifts over there from the main room. The good thing is that the lone radiator does seems able to keep the entire cellar above freezing, so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

• Java Dev

@dcon If I didn't know @PleegWat lives elsewhere, I would have worried that he's on my team. We are deep in that problem.

Except that 'enough to swamp it' is 1000 for us. Which is beyond stupid.

I think my problem is somewhat different. Too bursty input (from the tricked-up load generator) overloads the OS network stack, causing part of the data to not get to us, which makes performance stats meaningless. Natural input is less bursty, so the OS handles it OK and our code becomes an issue.

• Java Dev

@heterodox said in The Official Status Thread:

Just had to answer a bunch of unexpected static code analysis findings (against code that hasn't changed in a month, but apparently the analysis parameters have changed in that time). Luckily I was able to brush off a lot of it with "That code isn't in production; it dates back to the mainframe days."

Just why is it still in the codebase (and still being compiled), then, you may ask? ... An excellent question, and if there are no further questions for the class... :/

One of my favourite friday afternoon busywork activities is doing code cleanup. Dead code is considered a risk - it doesn't get tested, it shouldn't get used, but if some other issue does cause it to be used, or someone puts it back into use, you can run into all kinds of issues.

There's also a performance facet if this touches your data structures - it's hard to find out certain properties which you spend resources determining and storing are unused if there is still dead code referencing them.

• Java Dev

STATUS: Doing some final tasks before going out on the work trip. Slight delay in the progress as someone managed to fuck up the USB drive with a VM image in an impressive way. All file names in the root directory as well as the drive label had turned into garbage characters and trying to copy the VM files themselves (of which the names were fine) failed with an I/O error. So I hade to reformat the USB drive and copy the VM image anew. Yay for extra pointless work...

• STATUS: Engaging last-ditch efforts to save this phone before I get a new one. Factory reset here I come.

10% battery use in 15 minutes isn't normal, especially when it's Google Services chewing up 60% of that and making the phone temperature climb to astronomical, even when the screen's off.

Trying to save some notes to my OneDrive so I can work on them from another machine this evening...

Go to File | Share. "To share this notebook, you'll need to put it on OneDrive or SharePoint." Yes, that's what I want. Try to sign in, get the login prompt I've always seen, but then get told "That Microsoft account doesn't exist." :wtf: given that I have it open in an Edge tab at this very moment.

Recall vaguely that there's some difference between a Microsoft account and an Office 365 account and Google it. Turns out to save to my OneDrive I have to click Add Place then click "Office 365 SharePoint" (which doesn't exist) in order to save to my Office 365 OneDrive. ... yes, of course. That makes total sense.

• @heterodox said in The Official Status Thread:

Depression is also something you don't want to have when you're considering a life-altering career change

I read it as "life-ending career change". Fitting, in a way.

• @pleegwat That's precisely what we've had to deal with lately.

• Java Dev

@magus OK, sorry.

A thousand of anything doesn't seem like that much for an OS network stack. Unless you're talking about something like new TCP sessions per second?

• @pleegwat Nah, service fabric maximum message size, which is around 5mb or something. Which makes sense: our system is just horribly designed. You shouldn't have a thousand things being sent from one actor to another. You should have one.

And then on the other side, we had an event queue that died randomly when it got around 500 requests in a short time. Where 'short time' means 5 minutes.

It's stupid.

• @benjamin-hall said in The Official Status Thread:

STATUS: Engaging last-ditch efforts to save this phone before I get a new one. Factory reset here I come.

10% battery use in 15 minutes isn't normal, especially when it's Google Services chewing up 60% of that and making the phone temperature climb to astronomical, even when the screen's off.

Seems to be stable (for now). I'm going to only add apps when I need them though and see when it decides to go screwy again. It does everything I need it to and really don't want to switch to USB C yet...or pay the price of a new phone.

Hmm, okay, well, I guess I'll try narrowing down what I listen for. I don't want to be notified of all the things that happen to <redacted>, just the 4th one.

K, so, increasing the specificity of the request causes it to do... nothing. That's... nice...

Hmm, on debugging, it seems to notify things at notSoSpecific, mildlySpecific, almostSpecificEnough, and just the ID. :wtf: why just the ID?

What if I listen to that?

It... works. Fine.

• @cartman82 said in The Official Status Thread:

Of course they will make sure that I pass. Otherwise I'll go elsewhere and they won't get my money.

Ah, they've got it backwards where you live. Here you pay for the inspection, and if it doesn't pass, you can get it re-checked (at the same station) within 30 days at no additional cost.

Doesn't lock you in to getting the repair done there, but they have your money either way.

• Considered Harmful

@benjamin-hall said in The Official Status Thread:

STATUS: Engaging last-ditch efforts to save this phone before I get a new one. Factory reset here I come.

Did you root a Galaxy S7 Edge?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@benjamin-hall said in The Official Status Thread:

Assuming that the problem is that in the first place and not a battery fault.