C:\PROGRAM

• Well, we all knew that some programs do a terrible job at coping with spaces in filenames, but I never knew Windows did this sanity check on startup:

"There is a file or folder on your computer called 'C:\PROGRAM' which could cause certain applications to not function properly. Renaming it to 'C:\PROGRAM1' would solve this problem. Would you like to rename it now?"

So, who's the culprit?

For those of you not familiar with the logo, that's Foxit PDF viewer. It's even digitally signed by them. This program really has become severely bloated over the last year, and I don't like its Windows 8/Office 2013 UI either.

• I agree that Foxit is getting severely bloated, but I've never seen it install to C:\Program before.

• @LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet said:

I never knew Windows did this sanity check on startup:

Like many things Windows, that sanity check is a half-arsed workaround for one special case of the trouble caused by a fundamentally stupid design decision. See the paragraph beginning "The lpApplicationName parameter can be NULL" in the documentation for CreateProcess.

And yeah, the gloss went off Foxit Reader at about version 3. I cut the school back over to Adobe Reader when X came out, because although it's from Adobe and therefore mind-bogglingly bloated, at least X and XI start reasonably fast. Fewer compatibility surprises than Foxit with forms and whatnot, and the Adobe product's print speed leaves Foxit's in the dust. Pity; Foxit really was the least irritating Windows PDF reader for quite some years, but blew it.

• I never liked FoxIt reader, because despite launching much faster than Adobe Reader, it was always much slower rendering complex pages. Since I usually start a program once, and then keep it in the background, those few seconds at startup mattered much less to me than the ability to quickly scroll through document. I did replace Adobe Reader with PDF-Xchange a few years ago though.

• @ender said:

I did replace Adobe Reader with PDF-Xchange a few years ago though.
    How's it's print speed, and have you had any odd issues with PDF forms? I might give it a whirl, because Adobe Reader XI is a shit of a thing to make Just Work; on first run it insists on fartarsing about with voice reader settings and turning off font anti-aliasing, despite my best efforts with its installer configuration tool.

• @flabdablet said:

And yeah, the gloss went off Foxit Reader at about version 3. I cut the school back over to Adobe Reader when X came out, because although it's from Adobe and therefore mind-bogglingly bloated, at least X and XI start reasonably fast. Fewer compatibility surprises than Foxit with forms and whatnot, and the Adobe product's print speed leaves Foxit's in the dust. Pity; Foxit really was the least irritating Windows PDF reader for quite some years, but blew it.

Google Chrome has a pretty good PDF viewer built in. If you use Chrome for web browsing anyway, it saves you from having to install an extra program for PDFs. You'll have to manually associate it with the .PDF file extension; the rest "just works".

Allegedly Firefox has something similar, although I haven't tried it.

• @sdfsfsdewsergt said:

It's pretty good, though you can't, for example, drag-pan. It's essentially a web page.

• I've had to nobble Firefox's inbuilt pdfjs viewer at the school, because explaining why PDF printing was suddenly failing so completely horribly was too hard. But Mozilla being Mozilla, when you flip the about:config option that disables the pdfjs previewer, Firefox doesn't restore the preferences its updater overwrote to make its own shitty previewer the default in the first place. So now I have to explain why every time somebody tries to view a PDF with the school web browser it offers to download it instead. And yes, this behaviour is trivial to fix in the Options->Applications menu, but most of my users are completely incapable of finding that menu unaided and will in any case forget where it is five minutes after using it. Also, plugin-related options are apparently not implemented using prefs.js/about:config and I have yet to find a programmatic way to set them that I can just apply at logon time. If Chrome were not even less discoverable, more fucked in the head by default, and easier to set options for programatically, I'd consider switching to that. IE is still not an option because there is still no ad blocker available for it that's anywhere near as competent as Adblock Plus. Browsers: Feh.

• @sdfsfsdewsergt said:

@flabdablet said:

Google Chrome has a pretty good PDF viewer built in. If you use Chrome for web browsing anyway, it saves you from having to install an extra program for PDFs. You'll have to manually associate it with the .PDF file extension; the rest "just works".

Looks like they've integrated the PDF Viewer (formerly PDF.JS) extension into Firefox. I still had the extension, and after removing it and telling Firefox to preview PDFs rather than save them, the built-in one still didn't work until I exited and restarted Firefox, but it's working now.

It handles most PDFs just fine, although the font rendering doesn't look quite the same as (or as pretty as) Adobe's. Strangely, the zoom level isn't the same as Adobe Reader's (on my system, but my text size setting is 100%)... it's smaller at 100% than Adobe Reader. Rendering speed seems to have improved quite a bit, and it doesn't lag too much when scrolling. Print quality used to be godawful (it was converting every page to a bitmap), but it looks like now they've managed to have it output the original PostScript, or something reasonably close to it (however, printing a secured PDF to a PDF printer gave the PDF printer fits and crashed its PostScript parser on the 20th page or so; printing it to Windows 7's Fax print driver worked; I'd try printing it out for real but I don't want to waste the paper). It doesn't support forms.

• Fake News

@flabdablet said:

IE is still not an option because there is still no ad blocker available for it that's anywhere near as competent as Adblock Plus. Browsers: Feh.

What? AdBlock Plus is available for IE.

• @heterodox said:

@flabdablet said:
    IE is still not an option because there is still no ad blocker available for it that's anywhere near as competent as Adblock Plus. Browsers: Feh.

Maybe he means AdBlock Plus isn't as competent as itsefl!

Or maybe he's repeating decades-old misinformation he got from Slashdot.

• @blakeyrat said:

Or maybe he's repeating decades-old misinformation he got from Slashdot.

If it's decades old information, wouldn't that be recent information in the realm of Slashdot?

• @ender said:

I never liked FoxIt reader, because despite launching much faster than Adobe Reader, it was always much slower rendering complex pages. Since I usually start a program once, and then keep it in the background, those few seconds at startup mattered much less to me than the ability to quickly scroll through document. I did replace Adobe Reader with PDF-Xchange a few years ago though.

I use pdf.js (the Firefox built-in one), my Mom and grandparents use Evince, and my sister uses SumatraPDF.

• @heterodox said:

@flabdablet said:

AwRiGHT! Teach me not to pay attention. When did that happen? Last I heard, that was a "we're not going to do that, don't ask for it" item. Anyway, in it goes! Thanks!

• It takes 14 milliseconds to type "hey is AdBlock available in IE?" into Google, and people are still too lazy to do that shit.

In any case, unless AdBlock Plus changes their default settings, you'd only use it if you were a sociopathic asshole anyway.

EDIT: I TYPOED DEFAULT AS DEFEAT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAADSADHHAGFsahg jkztgh7hnjytgh

• @blakeyrat said:

In any case, unless AdBlock Plus changes their default settings, you'd only use it if you were a sociopathic asshole anyway.

Does the IE version not default to "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" like the Firefox and Chrome versions do?

As for the implied point that simply choosing to avoid inviting advertising into my life and that of the kids whose school network I run makes me a "sociopathic asshole": that's exactly the kind of warped opinion I'd expect from somebody morally bankrupt enough to choose to make their money in an industry as ruthlessly, pathologically and parasitically self-serving as advertising, and is therefore every bit as worthless, wrong, backasswards and ignorable as every other thing that has ever come out of that industry.

• I have no interest in being bombarded by a nonstop stream of bullshit that is, at best, annoying, and at wurst, criminally fraudulent. If that makes me a patholgical asshole, I'm OK with that.

• @cheapie said:

I use pdf.js (the Firefox built-in one)

I'm sorry.

• @cheapie said:

@ender said:
    I never liked FoxIt reader, because despite launching much faster than Adobe Reader, it was always much slower rendering complex pages. Since I usually start a program once, and then keep it in the background, those few seconds at startup mattered much less to me than the ability to quickly scroll through document. I did replace Adobe Reader with PDF-Xchange a few years ago though.

I use pdf.js (the Firefox built-in one), my Mom and grandparents use Evince, and my sister uses SumatraPDF.

I use SumatraPDF whenever I only need viewing capabilties, which is probably 99% of my use case.

• @blakeyrat said:

I put Flash loading on "ask" in Firefox.

Am I a sociopath?

Answer:
    Well, yes, but not for that reason.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.