Twl

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@Ben L. said:

@Suburban_Decay said:

@Ben L. said:

@Ronald said:
    worse than QR codes.

That's not difficult. How many other ways of unambiguously putting a long URL on a physical object and still looking semi-professional can you think of?

Plus, you can do cool shit like this:

I hate people that do that with QR codes.  I work in prepress and have an idiot VP that tells me our $3000 bar code verifier must be broken because QR codes like that fail QC.  He can't get it into his head that QR codes weren't meant to do that and abusing the error correction to get it to still work does not mean it should pass any quality tests.  

So, tell me then, what exactly about my 100% valid QR code is an error?

My Symbol MC75 with the decode set to "strict" pops up an error: "QR Code: Level L redundancy near error limits.  Check print quality.", but it still scans.  I don't have my Denso-wave reader handy, but I betcha it'll say something similar, but in Moonspeak, because it's localized to ja_JP and I can't find the option to set it to real people writing.

I hate QR codes. Why do these things exist? Why are they plastered on every surface? They just ugly things up.

Do you still hate yourself?

• The worst abuse of QR is when "graphic designers" get their hands on them, run a bunch of Photoshop filters, and produce monstrosities like this (recreated from memory using my own URL):

[Really shitty QR code]

• I have the following to admit:

• I think QR codes are totally overused.
    • However, sometimes they can be practical (vCard QR codes. Sometimes. Rarely).
    • We often to QR generation on clients' campaigns. So you could say I've got part of the guilt in this.
    • I actually think Ben L's QR is rather neat.

• @Ben L. said:

@Ronald said:
    african-american

I don't like this term because it covers either all human Americans or all black humans depending on how stupid the person interpreting it is. That's way too ambiguous.

And for all you know, he's a white dude with a really crummy camera.

• @Ben L. said:

Do you still hate yourself?

No, but I do hate QR Morbs.

• @arh said:

I actually think Ben L's QR is rather neat.

Yeah, at least it makes the crushing hopelessness kind of light and amusing.

• @MiffTheFox said:

The worst abuse of QR is when "graphic designers" get their hands on them, run a bunch of Photoshop filters, and produce monstrosities like this (recreated from memory using my own URL):

You call that "the worst abuse"? Here, one of the more "artsy" trading centers managed to create a 20x20 meters QR code from a sheet of metal, cutting the white squares off. They didn't even set it against a white background, as far as I remember.

Needless to say, nobody bothered to check what was in that code.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@boomzilla said:

@Ronald said:
    I bet if you were a vegan and Google opened a butcher shop you would stop being a vegan.

If it converts even one vegan...

... into sausage...

Racist.

Facts aren't racist. It's just a fact that 75% of all drug arrests and gun-related murders are commited by Vegan-American. And almost all of those have some connection to organized sausage making. FACTS!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Maciejasjmj said:

You call that "the worst abuse"? Here, one of the more "artsy" trading centers managed to create a 20x20 meters QR code from a sheet of metal, cutting the white squares off. They didn't even set it against a white background, as far as I remember.

The worst abuse of QR codes ever was that time I kidnapped twelve random strangers. I sedated and restrained them, then branded a series of QR codes inside their digestive tract.  When I was done, I released them back into society, but without any money, ID or cellphones, and thousands of miles away from their home. I then started a website where rich white people could pay a large sum of money to participate in the game. They would be given the photos of the twelve people, and a custom anal probe with a camera on it.  If they could scan the internal QR code of a person before that person got back home, they got a point. Whoever got the most points won 50% of the prize pool.

The best part was the one guy who got back home first. Turns out I didn't measure his knock-out drugs correctly, and he was semi-lucid during the branding. Between the haze from the drugs, and the mask I was wearing, he thought it was an alien kidnapping. (Especially with all the ass stuff).  Even though he made it home safe and sound, he's forever mentally scarred by the thought that he's been X-Filed. He lost his job, his house, his wife, his kids, all credibility with the local police (his wife's brother is the local sheriff, so he lost his entire extended family and support system).

One girl was horrible at getting out of her initial starting point, and pretty much ever single contestant found and tagged her all at once. She died painfully from sepsis from the many internal ruptures.

Now THAT was the worst abuse of QR codes ever.

• A QR code that's not black on white? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE YOU SICK FUCK

• @Lorne Kates said:

Facts aren't racist.

What about those facts that belong to the KKK? Or those facts that go to Obama's old church?

• @Maciejasjmj said:

A QR code that's not black on white?

How do you know it's not white on black? The black part is trying to shine through with its natural beauty, but the honky part is stomping it down, forcing it to work to represent data for the white part's benefit.

But of course some cracka-ass Polish man is gonna see the black part keeping the white part down. Hey, here's a QR code for you:

It's for a dry cleaner. Maybe you can get your robes cleaned.

• @Lorne Kates said:

The worst abuse of QR codes ever was that time I kidnapped twelve random strangers. I sedated and restrained them, then branded a series of QR codes inside their digestive tract.  When I was done, I released them back into society, but without any money, ID or cellphones, and thousands of miles away from their home. I then started a website where rich white people could pay a large sum of money to participate in the game. They would be given the photos of the twelve people, and a custom anal probe with a camera on it.  If they could scan the internal QR code of a person before that person got back home, they got a point. Whoever got the most points won 50% of the prize pool.

The best part was the one guy who got back home first. Turns out I didn't measure his knock-out drugs correctly, and he was semi-lucid during the branding. Between the haze from the drugs, and the mask I was wearing, he thought it was an alien kidnapping. (Especially with all the ass stuff).  Even though he made it home safe and sound, he's forever mentally scarred by the thought that he's been X-Filed. He lost his job, his house, his wife, his kids, all credibility with the local police (his wife's brother is the local sheriff, so he lost his entire extended family and support system).

One girl was horrible at getting out of her initial starting point, and pretty much ever single contestant found and tagged her all at once. She died painfully from sepsis from the many internal ruptures.

Now THAT was the worst abuse of QR codes ever.

Fox used QR codes on some ads for American Idol. I think they have you beat.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Maciejasjmj said:
    A QR code that's not black on white?

How do you know it's not white on black? The black part is trying to shine through with its natural beauty, but the honky part is stomping it down, forcing it to work to represent data for the white part's benefit.

But of course some cracka-ass Polish man is gonna see the black part keeping the white part down.

Still looking for the elusive white printer ink. Besides, I'm not sending my clothes to Dublin, too many Poles there.

• @MiffTheFox said:

The worst abuse of QR is when "graphic designers" get their hands on them, run a bunch of Photoshop filters, and produce monstrosities like this (recreated from memory using my own URL):

[Really shitty QR code]

Is it wrong that the first thought I had upon seeing this was " Domino's pizza"?

• @Zemm said:

Is it wrong that the first thought I had upon seeing this was " Domino's pizza"?

My first thought was "Don't scan it, or you'll end up gay married to somebody!"

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Still looking for the elusive white printer ink.

Did you install the upgrade kit?

• @Ronald said:

@Maciejasjmj said:

Still looking for the elusive white printer ink.

Did you install the upgrade kit?

HP White Ink Homogenizer — automatically shakes the white ink cartridge daily to keep the ink pigments in suspension for optimal image quality

Finally, something more useless than a white sharpie!

• @morbiuswilters said:

As for QR codes, they're hideous and all they ever seem to encode are URLs. [...] Also, it only works on a smartphone!
    There's no technical reason why it shouldn't work on other kinds of machines - all it requires is a camera and a bit of code. It's just that - so far - noone has been a big enough idiot to try writing the necessary software so other even bigger idiots can embarrass themselves in public by trying to hold their laptops up to an ad poster in the subway just right, so that the built-in webcam can pick up that QR in the corner... I guess that means that there may be a limit to human stupidity, after all.

@Maciejasjmj said:

Speaking about "artsy": I once saw a QR code made out of black and white bathroom tiles as part of an art installation.I never understood where the "art" was in that.

• And I saw one on the window of a store which was made out of photographs, I think? I didn't get very close or paid much attention, but there was definitely color on those tiles.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Anonymouse said:

Speaking about "artsy": I once saw a QR code made out of black and white bathroom tiles as part of an art installation.I never understood where the "art" was in that.

Isn't that how you know it's real [modern] art?

• @boomzilla said:

Isn't that how you know it's real [modern] art?
    One of my favorite authors, Ephraim Kishon, once wrote a pretty funny-cause-it's-true short story comparing the modern art scene to the "Emperor's New Clothes" fairy tale. Essentially, the modern artists are just con men who create junk claiming it to be high art, and nobody in the audience dares to speak up, because they're all thinking "Well, I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, but all the others are praising it, so I'd better do it to, or they'll think I'm too stupid to understand the deeper meaning or something."

And then they go back to sipping champagne, smelling their own farts and clapping their hands snobbishly while watching some "performance artist" pump several liters of fetal blood up his anus and poop it all over some canvases to be auctioned off later.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Anonymouse said:

One of my favorite authors, Ephraim Kishon, once wrote a pretty funny-cause-it's-true short story comparing the modern art scene to the "Emperor's New Clothes" fairy tale. Essentially, the modern artists are just con men who create junk claiming it to be high art, and nobody in the audience dares to speak up, because they're all thinking "Well, I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, but all the others are praising it, so I'd better do it to, or they'll think I'm too stupid to understand the deeper meaning or something."

Personally, I've had this opinion of art since the impressionists. But at least you can usually make out whatever they were trying to paint. Give me the Dutch Masters any day.

• Yeah, my icon is worth thousands.

• @dhromed said:

Filed under: Knäckebrod
    If that's not the name of a metalhead band, it should totally be.

• @Zecc said:

@dhromed said:
    Filed under: Knäckebrod
    If that's not the name of a metalhead band, it should totally be.
    metalhead band != metal headband

Isn't  Knäckebrod a slang term for someone who has their metal headband on too tight?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dhromed said:

Yeah, my icon is worth thousands.

You avatar is worth thousands:

- of hours of lost sleep

- of litres of sweat due to night terrors

- of dollars in therapy bills

- of used, sticky tissues, because there's always one freak who will jerk off to anything.

• Happy birthday then!

Time to get in shape, if that was you.

• Considered Harmful

@Zecc said:

If only there was such a thing as a nutritional plan designed to optimize metabolic efficiency and promote weight loss.

I don't know what to call such a thing, since they obviously don't exist.

• Considered Harmful

@Zecc said:

That works... surprisingly well.

Now make it an animated GIF, where the hand rises up, and then the head bobs in a Muttley titter.

• @Ben L. said:

Jesus M. Christ, you got your mom to wear your QR code on a shirt?

• @drurowin said:

@Ben L. said:

Jesus M. Christ, you got your mom a fat Al Yankokic to wear your QR code on a shirt?

FTFY

• @Zecc said:

Why not use the original?

• @Zecc said:

+1

• @Ronald said:

@drurowin said:
    @Ben L. said:
    Jesus M. Christ, you got your mom a fat Al Yankokic to wear your QR code on a shirt?

FTFY

• Considered Harmful

@dhromed said:

@Zecc said:

Why not use the original?

Enlarge, enhance!

•  I think we found our killer.

• @dhromed said:

I think we found our killer.

Are you a mur-diddly-urderer?

• @joe.edwards said:

@Zecc said:

If only there was such a thing as a nutritional plan designed to optimize metabolic efficiency and promote weight loss.

I don't know what to call such a thing, since they obviously don't exist.

According to Garfield, it's "DIE" with a T.

• @drurowin said:

Are you a mur-diddly-urderer?

More of a killady-pillady

• @dhromed said:

I think we found our killer.

It was Detective Gigglepants' twin brother!

PS: tomorrow I need to mix in El Heffe's avatar, if no one beats me to it and ADOLAS doesn't strike.

• @Zecc said:

PS: tomorrow I need to mix in El Heffe's avatar, if no one beats me to it and ADOLAS doesn't strike.
    Actually, nevermind:

• And here's a higher res version:

I can go to bed and fail to sleep now.

• @Zecc said:

And here's a higher res version:

• @Zecc said:

And here's a higher res version:

This is the best thread.