Blakeyrat Is Building A New Gaming PC 2: Electric Boogaloo

• @blakeyrat said:

And therefore it is not fancy? Is that what you're saying, or...?

Blakeyrat's reading comprehension: 0

I mean, my very next sentence told you that it was nothing to brag about.

Mouse enabled BIOS is nothing new. Everyone makes them now. Nobody cares that your new mobo BIOS has it. That does not make your BIOS fancy.

• @abarker said:

I mean, my very next sentence told you that it was nothing to brag about.

So? I wasn't bragging about it in the first place.

Considering it's a screen that, now that the computer is assembled, I'll literally never see again, I don't really even care.

@abarker said:

That does not make your BIOS fancy.

Well fair enough, but here are two statements:

1. The BIOS is not fancy

2. That BIOS has been shipping for a few years

Notice how statement 1 ACTUALLY HAS SOMETHING TO FUCKING DO WITH WHAT I TYPED. Notice how statement 2 does not at all and is confusing as fuck because it's a complete non-sequitor. Gold watches are fancy and yet have been around for literally centuries.

You made statement 2.

Hey! Here's an idea: make some fucking sense! If you're going to reply to a post, maybe type something even slightly relevant to that post! Pro-tip!

Or maybe you're a fucking idiot who thinks "fancy" is the same thing as "new". Either way, I don't think I'm the one in this situation who has trouble with basic reading comprehension.

EDIT: of course you only came into this thread in the first place and posted that bullshit to put me down in the first place. "Oh Blakeyrat is such an uncool moron, he thinks that BIOS is fancy! He is not as cool as I am, I've had that BIOS for years!" so why don't you just fuck off.

I built the computer. It works.

I'm ignoring this thread. I regret attempting to share my experiences with you assholes.

• @accalia said:

@abarker said:
    You're a pedantic dickweeds in a community of pedantic dickweeds.

FTFY..... of course that also applies to both of us to. so......

FTFTFY

[EDIT: fixed the quote attribution]

Filed under: so that's what a <del> inside an <ins> looks like

• 🚽 Regular

@Maciejasjmj said:

I found out that mine has a fucking Web browser built in. I'm kinda torn between "wow that's cool" and "WTF is the point of that".
    You could use web apps for everything and not need an OS at all.

• Isn't that kind of what Firefox OS wants to be?

• 🚽 Regular

I believe so, yes.

• BINNED

Also, Chromium OS, or whatever it's called now, kinda?

It's a full Linux system, yes, but it looks to me like the idea was to just get Google webapps running on it. You can fiddle with it if you know anything about Linux, but in it's base state it's just a way for people to get to Google and nothing else.

Note: never actually used the thing. I might be wrong.

• You could ask @ben_lubar. He has a Chromebook.

• BINNED

@aliceif said:

You could ask @ben_lubar.

Do I have to?

I might be trolling ben a bit too much lately. But it's so hard to figure out if and when he's pissed...

• @aliceif said:

You could ask @ben_lubar. He has a Chromebook.

Chrome OS is basically Linux that can only run Chrome and Chrome extensions. Which, apart from gaming and Mumble, is everything I do on my computer anyway. It's quite locked down, but you can install Linux on a Chromebook and dual boot if you have it in developer mode.

@Onyx said:

I might be trolling ben a bit too much lately. But it's so hard to figure out if and when he's pissed...

If I'm pissed, it's because of this:

32 citizens, 32 of whom are children who are exempt from work. And there's a man made of gemstones that breathes necrosis in the food stockpile, which is right next to the hospital.

(It's the white H on a yellow background)

Update:

The remaining 9 children are mostly in or around the zoo (from top left to top right: 2 trolls, 4 blind cave ogres, 1 giant cave spider; from bottom center to bottom right: 3 crundles, 27 troglodytes) with some pigs, a dog, and a few egg-laying birds. Of the remaining children, one of them managed to get to a hospital bed, another is in the bedroom floor, one fell down the main staircase and lost consciousness, and the last is going to get some food but will probably die once they get there.

Filed under: this post was actually just an excuse to post Dwarf Fortress stuff in a blakeyrat topic.

• BINNED

@ben_lubar said:

Chrome OS is basically Linux that can only run Chrome and Chrome extensions. Which, apart from gaming and Mumble, is everything I do on my computer anyway. It's quite locked down, but you can install Linux on a Chromebook and dual boot if you have it in developer mode.

If you can dualboot you must be able to get into the bootloader... shouldn't you be able to just boot it into single mode and unlock whatever they locked down from there?

• :belt_onion:

This makes me realize i have never even seen the BIOS screen on my newest PC and it has been about a year since I built it.When I finished, I was so tired I didnt feel like screwing around in the BIOS so I told myself I'd do it later..... Nearly a year has gone by and it's still not later enough.

• @Onyx said:

If you can dualboot you must be able to get into the bootloader... shouldn't you be able to just boot it into single mode and unlock whatever they locked down from there?

The command line is probably hard-coded into the kernel. Also single mode requires support for the init system; it won’t do anything if /sbin/init is actually a symlink to /usr/bin/chrome or something.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

(Discovered an old draft...)
    @tarunik said:

By the way, ever considered snagging some of this if you wanted to run a network cable to your router?

Powerline networking. Random link.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@PJH said:

Powerline networking

...is usually rubbish.

@Polygeekery said:

...is usually rubbish.

It beats trying to push a wifi signal through a load-bearing brick wall.

Mine's never given me any hassle. Works perfectly.

@dkf said:

It beats trying to push a wifi signal through a load-bearing brick wall.

It is also better than getting smashed in the face with a shovel, but in Blakey's case it is probably better that he is on wifi.

MoCA is a damned sight better than PLN, but still kind of sucks.

@loopback0 said:

Mine's never given me any hassle. Works perfectly.

We have tried using them in cases where it would be prohibitively expensive to pull cable to, they never seem to work properly for us.

@Polygeekery said:

We have tried using them in cases where it would be prohibitively expensive to pull cable to, they never seem to work properly for us.

It might depend on the quality of your power cabling. The (expensive!) UK style of putting in ring mains everywhere and so on probably helps a lot.

Fair enough. They suck on this side of the pond, IME.

• @dkf said:

The (expensive! cheap) UK style of putting in ring mains everywhere and so on probably helps a lot.

Ring final circuits are a cost saving measure - ~half the copper for the same current rating and much less wiring for the same number of sockets compared to "home run" or spurs wiring topologies.

What probably helps powerline networking is twofold:
    Aluminium wire has always been prohibited (except for HV distribution) in the UK, while parts of the US still haven't realised that it's truly terrible stuff.

So UK home and industrial wiring is always copper, and home wiring is normally twin & earth.

Secondly, before the advent of powerline, everything sold in the EU had to pass very strict regulations on the amount of conducted interference down the power cable.
    Powerline fails all of these regulations hideously, by design, so lobbied for an exemption.
    It means that they sit with practically no interference, except for the powerline network next door (and everyone else on your phase of the local substation.)

@lightsoff said:

Aluminium wire has always been prohibited (except for HV distribution) in the UK, while parts of the US still haven't realised that it's truly terrible stuff.

I have not seen aluminum wire, outside of HV distribution, for a LONG time. Almost all of it has been ripped out and replaced, at least around here.

@lightsoff said:

Secondly, before the advent of powerline, everything sold in the EU had to pass very strict regulations on the amount of conducted interference down the power cable.Powerline fails all of these regulations hideously, by design, so lobbied for an exemption.It means that they sit with practically no interference, except for the powerline network next door (and everyone else on your phase of the local substation.)

You may have a point there? I know that fluorescent lights and UPS's dirty up the lines quite a bit and offices are usually full of both of those.

• US wiring regs are set by your state and your city, so they vary wildly depending on where you are.

It means that most US industrial electrical products have to specify "no aluminium wire", as otherwise some installers would use it.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with the US regs, only the "rest of the world", which have mostly sane regs - ie copied the British at one time or another.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Polygeekery said:

I have not seen aluminum wire, outside of HV distribution, for a LONG time. Almost all of it has been ripped out and replaced, at least around here.

I own a condo (built in the late 1970s) that had some. Caused problems when it heated up and managed to work itself out of the screw holding it in place.

• @lightsoff said:

US wiring regs are set by your state and your city, so they vary wildly depending on where you are.

Not so wildly -- going by the NEC (NFPA 70 for code nerds) won't lead you wrong.

@lightsoff said:

It means that most US industrial electrical products have to specify "no aluminium wire", as otherwise some installers would use it.

Are you talking about fixture/appliance wiring, or branch circuit wiring? Aluminum fixture wiring doesn't generally pose a problem, but that's because it is used with connectors designed for the job, not your garden-variety wirenut.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with the US regs, only the "rest of the world", which have mostly sane regs - ie copied the British at one time or another.
    I, personally, consider ring mains insane...

• I'm talking about industrial stuff - 3phase, 100A and up.

To be fair, the US regs are slowly getting less crazy.

@tarunik said:

garden-variety wirenut.

screams and runs away.
    Wirenuts are almost the most dangerously stupid method of joining mains wiring that I know of, only beaten by "twist bare wires together" - which they tend to become after a while.

When they're run hot (eg not twisted enough, twisted too much, reused, generally overloaded) the plastic degrades, then falls off leaving bare metal.
    They're banned here.

Yes, a 110VAC shock isn't fatal as often as a 230VAC shock, but it still hurts enough to knock you off a ladder - which is fatal or "life-changing" somewhat more often.

• @lightsoff said:

I'm talking about industrial stuff - 3phase, 100A and up.

To be fair, the US regs are slowly getting less crazy.

AIUI -- Al wire is actually fairly common (and a satisfactory performer) in high-current apps, where proper termination could be more or less assured.

@lightsoff said:

Wirenuts are almost the most dangerously stupid method of joining mains wiring that I know of, only beaten by "twist bare wires together" - which they tend to become after a while.

When they're run hot (eg not twisted enough, twisted too much, reused, generally overloaded) the plastic degrades, then falls off leaving bare metal.They're banned here.

Yes, a 110VAC shock isn't fatal as often as a 230VAC shock, but it still hurts enough to knock you off a ladder - which is fatal or "life-changing" somewhat more often.

Interestingly enough, the original wirenuts used a ceramic insulator -- it was changed to plastic more recently.

I personally like crimp systems better, but economical ratcheting crimpers for the common crimp terminal types are hard to come by, and non-ratcheting crimpers are utter garbage.

Of course, push-in connectors are beginning to become more available in the US, but their increased bulk is actually a concern from a box-fill standpoint...same with setscrew type pressure connectors.