Pls halp me exploit my coders

• @accalia said:

i even offered a chunk of three dimensional carbon matrix embedded in a toroidal extrusion of gold alloy and still no commit.

Is that an official proposal?

@RaceProUK said:

I… didn't… realise…

$> git commit -m 'Yes!'
    ```</blockquote>

And an acceptance?

• FoxDev

@abarker said:

@accalia said:
    i even offered a chunk of three dimensional carbon matrix embedded in a toroidal extrusion of gold alloy and still no commit.

Is that an official proposal?

Interpreted as
    @abarker said:
    @RaceProUK said:
    I… didn't… realise…

$&gt; git commit -m 'Yes!'
    ```</blockquote>
    And an acceptance?</blockquote>
    Yes

<!--​ Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->

• In that case:

🎈 🎊 ✨ CONGRATULATIONS! ✨ 🎊 🎈

• BINNED

@Jaime said:

The fact that the employees currently have equity yet are going home after 40 tells me that the employees feel that the company isn't building something that will make them millionaires. They're ignoring the equity because they feel it has little value.

Or they know that coding for more than 40 hours a week is counterproductive.

@RaceProUK said:

Yes

So when's the first (and most likely last) TDWTF wedding?

• BINNED

I assume it will be a ceremony in General halls of Discourse, followed by the party in The Lounge...

• @Onyx said:

I assume it will be a ceremony in General halls of Discourse, followed by the party in The Lounge...

Is it sad that my first thought was "they could go to a NICE forum software for the honeymoon?"

• BINNED

No, but it is a sign that you spend too much time here.

• Did you try gold-pressed latinum?

• FoxDev

nah. the diamond ring sufficed. :-D

• DVCS is just Fork, Spoon, and Knife.

• Even if we think it might be big, that doesn't mean we're willing to give up our lives outside of work to do it. Not to mention many of the cases where people get fucked out of their equity, either by being fired right before vesting, or having their shares diluted to the point of nothing.

• Even if I'm invested in seeing the project succeed, I still might not want to pull the insane amounts of unpaid overtime.

• Aside from that, when you're tired and grouchy you make stupid mistakes.
    And spotting the stupid mistake you made half an hour ago makes you even less productive, even if you ignore the 30min of "WTF doesn't this work?"

Your first 8 hours of effective thinking are easily destroyed by a mere 2 hours of bollocks.

• @lightsoff said:

Your first 8 hours of effective thinking are easily destroyed by a mere 2 hours of bollocks.

If it even is as much as 8 hours.

• kills Dumbledore

I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work

• When I interviewed for this job I flat-out told the guy who ended up hiring me (boss's boss) that I can't do 8 hours of programming a day, maybe 6 or so. And he was like, "no problem, we're realists here and we have 2 hours of dicking around with tickets and other non-programming tasks a day anyway."

• ♿ (Parody)

The key, I've found, is to be more productive than everyone else, or at least the dumbest guy. Like outrunning the bear vs your slowest friend.

Seriously, though, some days I could be laser focused for 15 hours and others I can barely concentrate enough to write a coherent email.

• @Jaloopa said:

I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work

General Freiherr von Hammerstein-Equord, the present chief of the German Army, has a method of selecting officers which strikes us as being highly original and peculiarly un-­Prussian. According to Exchange, a Berlin newspaper has printed the following as his answer to a query as to how he judged his officers: “I divide my officers into four classes as follows: The clever, the industrious, the lazy, and the stupid. Each officer always possesses two of these qualities.

Those who are clever and industrious I appoint to the General Staff. Use can under certain circumstances be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy qualifies for the highest leadership posts. He has the requisite nerves and the mental clarity for difficult decisions. But whoever is stupid and industrious must be got rid of, for he is too dangerous.”

• @boomzilla said:

The key, I've found, is to be more productive than everyone else, or at least the dumbest guy. Like outrunning the bear vs your slowest friend.

And you really only need to do is once, really really blow something away once, and you're set.

At my last job before I started contracting, I fixed a Ruby app that took 22 hours to do its daily processing so that it finished in 20-ish minutes instead, saving a $3 million contract. After that I could have come into work in my underwear and watched Netflix all day. (I know, because I did that.)

Then they laid me off.

Cool story bro.

• @blakeyrat said:

I could have come into work in my underwear ... I know, because I did that.

I do not want to work with you.

• ♿ (Parody)

Whatever, I come to work in my underwear every day. Not a fan of going commando.

• :belt_onion:

@antiquarian said:

Or they know that coding for more than 40 hours a week is counterproductive.

I've coded for more than 40 hours in tons of weeks.
    I've rarely ever worked more than 40 hours in a week though.

Generally my breakdown probably comes in around 6 hours a day of work 2 hours other crap, though if I'm working on my own pet projects I will easily put in 8+ hours a day because (benefit of working in a semi-experimental type of group sometimes, getting to create your own project ideas instead of having them be dictated by others).

I think the only time I've ever logged more than 45 hours in a single week at work, it was because in the middle of the week I had 3 straight days at 13+ hours each of "Production Server is down and someone has to re-stage a new one from scratch and get everything working on it ASAP or the world(well, the business) will explode!!!111111". They got my goodwill and I worked the hell out of that week mainly because everything normally is so laid back the rest of the time and I don't have to put up with someone breathing down my neck about meeting deadlines or "getting in 40 hours". If they always bitched about whether or not I do 40 hours of productive work a week, I'd have stuck them at 40 hours total that week too and just not shown up the rest of the week or left on-time every day with the server still dead.

• :belt_onion:

@boomzilla said:

yes, and fortunately that is ridiculously easy because there are so very many terrible, terrible programmers out there.
    the hard part is getting a manager/boss that recognizes what is productive versus what looks like production but is actually just closed tickets for fixes/creations that didn't even work and end up costing other people work instead.

• @boomzilla said:

Whatever, I come to work in my underwear every day. Not a fan of going commando.

I just hope you don't come to work in someone else's underwear.

• @blakeyrat said:

I can't do 8 hours of programming a day, maybe 6 or so.

i think i saw a study somewhere setting the limit of "productive programming" around 6 hours (will search for it)
    @boomzilla said:
    Seriously, though, some days I could be laser focused for 15 hours and others I can barely concentrate enough to write a coherent email.

this is hardest thing to understand for managers. a lot of people tend(in fact, want) to see coders like workers on a factory

• @Jarry said:

this is hardest thing to understand for managers. a lot of people tend(in fact, want) to see coders like workers on a factory

I am like a worker on a factory. A love factory.

• Here we call the programmers : "workers of the key" (worker as in construction worker. I dont remember if english has a specific term for that and lazyness)

• @Onyx said:

Oh $DEITY, the puns! It's time for me to pull out of this thread and hit my stash of alcohol, this is getting to be a bit too much.

It's almost as if this thread has become a repository for them.

• Ooh, ooh, a pun-pository?!?!

Filed under: no

• @Rhywden said:

The man who is clever and lazy qualifies for the highest leadership posts. He has the requisite nerves and the mental clarity for difficult decisions.

I call this "constructive laziness".

• Just remember working 84 hours a week is a "half-time" job!