The Official Status Thread

• Java Dev

It must be illegal in the EU or something - the only place I've seen those things was Andorra.

• 🚽 Regular

• Notification Spam Recipient

STATUS Aggravated. The sock fairy has claimed another victim. 💢

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Cursorkeys said:

That happened to me yesterday.

• 🚽 Regular

I rebooted this morning for an update, guess it came in that then. Are there still KBs for updates that you can see somewhere?

Yeah, the update entry in the Update History still shows the KB number which you can Google.

• @DogsB said:

The sock fairy has claimed another victim. 💢

Buying 20 identical pairs of socks was one of the better ideas I had.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@kt_ said:

Why would you want to do that? There's Spotify and Apple Music. No reason to go medieval.

1. I'm in 🍁 I doubt either of those two services are available. If they are, they are extremely crippled and content-void
    2. I don't have a data plan, nor want one
    3. Fuck the cloud. I have gigs of music I already own, and it isn't going anywhere because of someone elses' licensing dispute

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Maciejasjmj said:

@Lorne_Kates said:
    this is Indian and not Asian

Umm...

I'm aware.

• All the rioting and violent crime in Seattle comes from our thuggish police force, and they're already making far more than minimum wage.

• Dupa

@Lorne_Kates said:

doubt either of those two services are available. If they are, they are extremely crippled and content-void

The fuck you're saying. It's working in Poland, so it's not possible for it to be crippled in the Country of the Maple Leaf.

@Lorne_Kates said:

I don't have a data plan, nor want one

Ok, Fair point.

Although, these are really great. There's almost all the music you might want, whenever you want it. With Spotify it's even available for all platforms. For $5/mo. Fuckin'-A.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Lorne_Kates said:

I don't have a data plan, nor want one

Here, hold my :belt_onion:. Even I have a data plan.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@kt_ said:

The fuck you're saying. It's working in Poland, so it's not possible for it to be crippled in the Country of the Maple Leaf.

Fuck if I know. I can't even get the site working, and I'm not willing to disable every adblocker I have just to see which bands they don't have:

https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@boomzilla said:

Here, hold my :belt_onion:. Even I have a data plan.

Me without a dataplan, using wifi for the few times I need the internet on my phone: $100/year

Me with a 🍁 dataplan-- in which bandwidth is measured in megs, not gigs, reliability is shit, coverage is shit, speed is shit, and I'm indentured to one of the Monopolies who run telecom in Canada - Minimum $2k/year

I think I'll keep my $1900 and use it to, say, buy mp3s or something.

@Lorne_Kates said:

Me without a dataplan, using wifi for the few times I need the internet on my phone:

You don't need a data plan for Spotify if you've got WiFi at home.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@loopback0 said:

@Lorne_Kates said:
    Me without a dataplan, using wifi for the few times I need the internet on my phone:

You don't need a data plan for Spotify if you've got WiFi at home.

Surprisingly, my home wifi doesn't work in my car after I start driving. It must be a bug.

• 🚽 Regular

@Lorne_Kates said:

Surprisingly, my home wifi doesn't work in my car after I start driving. It must be a bug.

Spotify doesn't need to stream anything you already have saved to the cache on the device. I have all my playlists available offline and that works great while driving. It's a built-in feature.

@Lorne_Kates said:

Unsurprisingly Spotify has an offline mode.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Cursorkeys said:

Spotify doesn't need to stream anything you already have saved to the cache on the device. I have all my playlists available offline and that works great while driving. It's a built-in feature.

Okay so rather than using the 13.6GB of .mp3s and playlists I have on my file system, instead I should:

• Give Spotify $20 a month
    • Download an app
    • Spend dozens of hours combing through their available music, hoping that the artists I want are there (and available in 🍁), and the albums by those artists are there, and the tracks from those albums are there
    • Spend dozens of hours recreating playlists I already have
    • Give up anything that isn't on Spotify (soundtracks, live performances, rarities, etc)
    • With the knowledge that any of the above can change, without warning or notification, if any of the dozens of actors in the supply chain decide to change a contract
    • So I can spend who-the-fuck-knows how long re-downloading a dozen gigs of information
    • Give up any music-listening apps I already have set up, to use who-knows-what quality of player they have
    • In the process provide massive amounts of personal information to random third parties about my demographics and music habits
    • While giving up any fair-use rights I have to the music, since it's locked in a propitiatory cache
    • And continue doing this until whatever arbitrary point in the future Spotify decides it isn't making enough money, and my entire music collection goes away.

Yes. That seems much easier and sane that copying .mp3s between filesystems.

• 🚽 Regular

@Lorne_Kates said:

Yes. That seems much easier and sane that copying .mp3s between filesystems.

Sorry, I thought from the website comment above that you were already looking at Spotify.

Yeah, wouldn't make any sense unless you wanted to use it to acquire new music. The player can play/playlist your existing music too though. I have a lot of 'local' content.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Cursorkeys said:

Sorry, I thought from the website comment above that you were already looking at Spotify.

Only to mock it.

• ♿ (Parody)

41 posts were split to a new topic: Minimum status

• Status: Seriously considering buying a cheap Android tablet specifically so I can play Gems of War on my way to work without having to drag along my laptop...

Note the Android ecosystem is utter shit. Like I know the app is in the Google Play store, and I know Amazon makes cheap tablets, but if I buy an Amazon tablet can I use Google Play apps? I dunno. (Google implies yes? Like, you can install the Google Play store as an Amazon app, then use it as a store for more apps? Or something?)

What are the minimum hardware requirements for the app? I dunno. They're not listed on the app store. I guess the theory is backwards-- you register your tablet with Google first, then they tell you whether you can run the app? Insane. So how am I supposed to know which tablet I need? Will the $50 tablet be sufficient, or do I need to spend more? Oh, and it lists that it requires Android 4. Ok. But Amazon tablets ship with "Fire OS 5". Is that like Android 5? Or... what's going on there?

These are BASIC FUCKING QUESTIONS I'm having trouble answering.

(EDIT: Yes I know, Samsung, but I have $150 in credit for Amazon after my Coinstar machine visit so I'd like to buy from Amazon, and they also have a $50 tablet that I'd jump at if I knew for sure it could run the app!)

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

These are BASIC FUCKING QUESTIONS I'm having trouble answering.

But that would require devs paying attention to memory usage or CPU draw or things like that and that's DIFFICULT and a :barrier: to pumping out Bejewled clones and fart apps.

Also it would require Google to analyze the hardware in their ecosystem and bring any sort of sanity or order to the standards used and then Google would have to provide real, fact-based answers and that's a :barrier: to pumping out as many advertising devices as possible.

Also also it would require hardware manufactures to do any sort of testing with their hardware and pay attention to the requirements of popular apps and make sure their hardware is up to spec to run those apps and that is a :barrier: to every Chinese company and their Uncle pumping out cheap, janky Android devices to sell at flea markets.

Come on, Blakey, expecting sanity and useful information? You're :doing_it_wrong:. These are TABLETS. These are the future. You must just be a luddite because you don't "get it".

• @Lorne_Kates said:

You must just be a luddite because you don't "get it".

I guess not. The question, "can device X run application Y?" is just unanswerable here in 2016.

Hell for $50 I might just go for it anyway. If it doesn't work, I could try to learn to love Hearthstone.

Does Android do internet connection sharing via. Bluetooth? Actually I'm not even sure this $50 one has Bluetooth... oh wait it lists supporting Bluetooth speakers, so I guess it has the antenna in it at least.

@cartman82 said:

"No Windows, I don't want to stop everything just so you can untagle your locks. Don't bother me with your crap and just let me work"

...which is why in modern versions of Windows, you get to wait up to like 3 days to reboot. If you can't manage that, you've probably got bigger problems.

@boomzilla said:

Even I have a data plan.

What do you use it for, other than onion shopping and "get off my lawn" signs? I'm asking for a friend.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

I guess not. The question, "can device X run application Y?" is just unanswerable here in 2016.

I know. I was agreeing with you, using hyperbole and sarcasm.

Here's another unanswerable question:

"If my tablet dies and I get a new tablet, will I have to start the game from scratch on the new tablet?"

• @Lorne_Kates said:

"If my tablet dies and I get a new tablet, will I have to start the game from scratch on the new tablet?"

The Steam version of the same game uploads into their "cloud saves", so I assume the Android version does the same. Who knows. They also list cross-platform play as a feature, so I assume they're not lying about it.

Anyway I ended up buying one and a $12 case, I am now officially the last person in North America to buy their first tablet computer.

@blakeyrat said:

but if I buy an Amazon tablet can I use Google Play apps?

Some of the Kindles don't come with the Google Play store. It's fairly easy to install it, though--I bought my wife one and did that.

I just checked the Play store with the $50 tablet and it had an Install button, so it should work. With that tablet, as, apparently, with most of them that aren't like $200, the flash is kinda slow so installing apps takes longer. But I've got a couple of pretty GPU-intensive games that play fine once they load.

• Well like I said, on the off-chance I can't get it working, there's plenty of other apps to try.

See the extra paragraph I just added to my post.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

@boomzilla said:
    Even I have a data plan.

What do you use it for, other than onion shopping and "get off my lawn" signs? I'm asking for a friend.

Mostly posting on here when I'm out and about. I know where all the good lawn sign stores are around here. Pshaw.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

I just checked the Play store with the $50 tablet and it had an Install button, so it should work.

Having an enabled Install button is no guarantee the app will work; for example, Sonic Runners will install on a wide variety of devices, including my Nexus 7, where it runs, if I'm being charitable, like total ass, even after a full factory reset.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

They also list cross-platform play as a feature, so I assume they're not lying about it.

Sure. But they could still be wrong.

@blakeyrat said:

Anyway I ended up buying one and a $12 case, I am now officially the last person in North America to buy their first tablet computer.

it's not a computer its a tablet 🚎

Anyways, now keep an eye on the Humble Mobile Bundle page. I've done the minimum donation for all of them, and have gotten some pretty nifty games. The best two from the top of my head:

• Punch Quest. Arcade punching game. Punch everything until your Gnome becomes a God.
    • 80 Days. Interactive novel. Around the World in 80 Days in a steampunk universe. You play the manservant and pick the path, exploring the world and meeting interesting characters. Lots of replay value.

• @Lorne_Kates said:

it's not a computer its a tablet

Well depending on how you look at it:

• I'm a huge trendsetter for owning a reversible-screen HP tx1000 tablet PC back when they were brand new

• I'm a lame-brain super-behind bozo dork for never having an iPad-style tablet until just today

@Lorne_Kates said:

80 Days. Interactive novel. Around the World in 80 Days in a steampunk universe. You play the manservant and pick the path, exploring the world and meeting interesting characters. Lots of replay value.

I just watched that movie last night. I'd forgotten how goddamned entertaining it is. And when I watched it as a kid, I didn't "get" all the cameos. (Like Buster Keaton as the train conductor-- brilliant! Frank Sinatra playing piano in a western cantina-- amazing!)

When you think about it, at the time that movie was made in the mid-50s, watching Buster Keaton films was a lot more difficult than it is now when you can just plop on Netflix and type "The General" into the search box. The jokes are actually less obscure today than when they were written, go figure.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@FrostCat said:

What do you use it for, other than onion shopping and "get off my lawn" signs?

@boomzilla hasn't figured out Internets Shopping yet. He makes his own signs using Printshop and a dot matrix printer.

HOLY FUKXING SHIT BRODERBUND IS STILL MAKING PRINT SHOP!??!!

I assume it's a zombified corpse of Broderbund infested with VCs pumping out glorified shoveware that's just a WYSIWYG editor, but still...

• ♿ (Parody)

@Lorne_Kates said:

@boomzilla hasn't figured out Internets Shopping yet.

Sure I have. I have my wife do it for me.

@Lorne_Kates said:

He makes his own signs using Printshop and a dot matrix printer.

The best part is playing with the tractor feed bits of the paper afterwards!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@boomzilla said:

The best part is playing with the tractor feed bits of the paper afterwards!

I've made so many paper springs in my lifetime...

• Status: Okay, so I'm compiling DFHack with -Wall -Wextra -pedantic. So far, the compile log is 4.4 mebibytes. Wheee

• Dupa

@Lorne_Kates said:

In the process provide massive amounts of personal information to random third parties about my demographics and music habits

This. You definitely must do this.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Tsaukpaetra said:

Status: noticed @polygeekery seems to be catching up on unread posts at the moment....

I've been a wee bit busy for the past week or so. Was it me liking crap from a week ago, or replying to stuff from a week ago?

@RaceProUK said:

Having an enabled Install button is no guarantee the app will work

Right. But if you've got an ancient Gingerbread device, and an app requires ICS or later, you won't even get the install button.

The $50 Amazon tablet's no speed demon, but with the low PPI resolution it has, it can even play Farmville 2 at a decent clip[1]. The UI is actually more responsive than on my LG G3, probably mainly because the G3's got that 1440p display, which, frankly, is fairly dumb for a 5.5" screen.

[1] Farmville 2 Country Escape is quite demanding of your hardware. If it'll play on your device, then just about anything else should, in terms of hardware capability. I'm not talking about the odd incompatibilities that crop up from time to time.

@blakeyrat said:

I anticipate an eternity of new bitching about Android!

• Notification Spam Recipient

@blakeyrat said:

internet connection sharing via. Bluetooth?

Who even knows that's possible? I find it amazing you know about that, but less so that it's a deal breaker...

@Polygeekery said:

Was it me liking crap from a week ago, or replying to stuff from a week ago?
    yes.

• @FrostCat said:

I anticipate an eternity of new bitching about Android!

I had an Android 2.2 phone for like 18 months. Not sure if I ever posted stuff here about it though.

The OS isn't awful, but the apps were pretty questionable. Night and day compared to Windows Phone, which has fewer apps but they all work in a way Android never did.

I assume Android 4 is better than 2. We'll see.

@Tsaukpaetra said:

Who even knows that's possible?

I do it almost every day to connect my work laptop to the netzzz while on the bus. Someone here (RacePro?) actually tipped me off that the latest Windows Phone update allowed it over Bluetooth instead of using the battery-sucking wifi chip.

My working from home days have come to an end. Tomorrow morning is the first day in the new office.

I just switched my alarm clock from 9AM to 7AM.

😦

• Status: I can see why Blakey is so enamoured with Git. Tried to commit my latest changes in the IDE (which basically only calls the git command line tool).

Error message: ""

How helpful. Okay, over to the GUI tool by Git itself. Which tells me that "something went wrong when syncing, please try to debug from command line". Seriously, still no actual error message.

Okay, over to the Git-CLI. Which tells me after doing "git status" that I'm one commit ahead of master and I should simply do "git push".

Okay, "git push".

Result: Nothing. Literally nothing. No error messages, no crashes, no uploading, nothing.

"Debug", my arse.

• Did you replace git-push.exe with something that does nothing? That doesn't sound like anything I've ever seen git do.

• Yes, of course, Ben. I always replace random .exes when I try to use them.