The Official Status Thread

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@dcon said:

2015 RTM -> Update 1?

Yep.

@dcon said:

Heath Stewart's blog

Not quite. Took too long (many, many hours) so I cancelled out of it. And then repair tried its best but failed, so I had to uninstall and reinstall.

Started playing Net while waiting for the uninstall/install to do their stuff. Got tired of the presets, so I upped the ante a bit:

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Nocha said:

Probably not the same thing, but we saw similar here a little while back. There was an update for visual studio that broke it, and then you had to run windows updates again to get a patch that fixed it. Took us about 3 days to work out between us...

I don't think so. I've got it back to working without a Windows update in between.

• @locallunatic said:

Cause instead they should wait for someone to get in their way before turning that stuff on? I'm not clear on what you think they should be doing instead.

The ones that go past my house late at night generally have lights flashing, but don't turn their sirens on unless there's actually other traffic on the road.

• :belt_onion:

I'm not sure about the FD but I know the cops go full lights and sirens if they're responding to something urgent. Granted though that's probably because they basically have to run lights (city refuses to install the remotely controlled stuff so they're always running reds)

• PD here does seem more likely to use sirens late at night (and their sirens are fairly distinctive). Sometimes, though, when multiple cars are responding, only the first one will have the siren on; the followers will use only lights.

@HardwareGeek said:

PD here does seem more likely to use sirens late at night (and their sirens are fairly distinctive). Sometimes, though, when multiple cars are responding, only the first one will have the siren on; the followers will use only lights.

Yeah, sounds about right. I've heard everyone go all lights and sirens a few times though....

Dispatch: **522, checkup**
    Dispatch: **522, checkup**
    Dispatch: **BEEEEEEEEEP 522, checkup**
    Other cop: I'll point his way
    Dispatch: **BEEEEEEEEEP 521, 530, respond Code 3 to xxx address street, officer not responding to checks. Last status was traffic stop, Ohio license abc1234. Channel restricted for crews 1:21**
    Other cop: *sirens in background* Clear, enroute

several minutes later

Cop: This is 522, I'm OK, cancel checks. Sorry, I had my volume down.......

Fortunately I haven't heard any other outcomes yet......

• @sloosecannon said:

Dispatch: 522, OK

FTFY

I've heard that too. But not in a Discourse sense 😜

I hear some funny stuff on the scanner sometimes though.

Huber 212, 213 for a disorderly on Street road... White male, possibly related to an assault at 123 address road, wearing only a speedo... Possible intox. Huber 212

Yeah, definitely gonna guess intox is involved somewhere there.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

Status: Christmas wrapping 50% done, but I ran out of scotch tape, and the only family member for whom I would use significant amounts of packing tape lives on the other side of the world now, so his presents don't get wrapped properly anymore, anyway.

Did he end up getting shot multiple times in the chest?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Dreikin said:

Started playing Net

That guy actually wrote something other than Putty?! TIL.

@sloosecannon said:

(If you get that reference I think you are an awesome person)

GIS is awesome…

• Notification Spam Recipient

Someone is creating a busywork refactor despite having a full plate of bullshit to fucking get through already. The code in question while god awfully ugly to look through has being in production for two years and there isn't one open defect on it nor is has there being a defect raised or attributed to it in the past year.

It's in my domain but I'm relatively new here so I don't have the "reputation" to kill this kind of crap yet. This is something I don't need to be fucking thinking about 3 hours before fucking off home for the holiday.

• It's also literally inside the image's URL.

• Status: got kicked on the nuts by our-favorite-korean-company certification. An important part of our app wasn't showing up. The guilty line:

style.webkitTransform = transform

OK, so this was incomplete, but has been working for the past six month since our target platforms all use WebKit and on all devices we've tested it worked.

But now it doesn't? On their TV's? I'm afraid Tizen is switching their engine to Gecko for 2016 TVs without telling anyone possibly breaking lots of apps out there.

• You may not have the "reputation" do discard this, but you might have it to delay it with a code review or with a pull request.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@cartman82 said:

1AM. Quiet part of town. Not a car in sight.

Fire truck rushes past. Sirens and lights blasting full power.

Fucking asshole.

This reminded me of "The Immaculate Fix" and I read it in William S. Burroughs voice.

Status: Finished the last bits of decorating the place for Christmas. Time to start eating and drinking. 😄

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

I wish I had a girlfriend like Aelita. (dammit, how do you spell that...)

• Java Dev

@cartman82 said:

Fire truck rushes past. Sirens and lights blasting full power.

Fucking asshole.

A damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If they hadn't been running sirens and lights there'd have been complaints about it speeding without sirens and lights.

Aelita. And I guess I did spell it correctly.

• Java Dev

Challenge met. Sure changes the ante on the game, playing it that huge.

• STATUS: Clicking a mailto: link on my linux opens up a terminal window. Nothing else happens.

• Java Dev

What's the output of echo "$@" just after the terminal opens?

• @PleegWat said:

What's the output of echo "$@" just after the terminal opens?

Good idea, but it's empty.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

In the meantime I can't get any other work done, because I'm interrupted every 15 minutes with, "ok try THIS password, it'll work this time."

How about YOU try it, dipshit-- and if it works, call me.

502 gateway error, follow by somehow this post is too similar to what I've already posted.

I guess I call people dipshits a lot.

• Wow, this is really amazing:

Oh, back to business as usual:

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Status****strong text I have become binary, liker or disliker of worlds (but nothing in between)

http://i.imgur.com/EgwOiUK.png

• Trolleybus Mechanic

YOU BROKE IT! YOU MANIAC!

http://i.imgur.com/CluaGVh.png

@Lorne_Kates said:

So sue me.

I've just broken it further.

Status: fucking node-gyp. Fucking msbuild.exe. It's taken almost an hour and a half to install Visual Studio, which I will probably never launch, on my underpowered laptop. Ten to one it still won't work afterward and I'll just cry.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@loopback0 said:

@Lorne_Kates said:

So sue me.

I've just broken it further.

Pray you don't {gets shot in head}

• STATUS: Fucking Korean freelancer from upwork keeps pestering me on Skype.

You don't pay these guys for expertise, you pay them to leave.

Especially since this guy was a nightmare to work with and produced crap code.

• Man, software named after racial slurs is never good.

I remember that time I was trying to use that C# ChinkSlantEyes library, it just didn't work out.

• Why does he have your personal Skype? ... you don't use your personal IM accounts for work-related shit do you? That's the real WTF.

• Status: the crockpot that I thought I started either really early this morning or really late last night apparently wasn't plugged in. Found this when I checked on it after waking up, guess I'm running it on high instead of low for the rest of the day.

@cartman82 said:

STATUS: Clicking a mailto: link on my linux opens up a terminal window. Nothing else happens.

Counter Status: Clicking a mailto: link on my Windows opens up a blank Chrome window. Nothing else happens.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@locallunatic said:

really late last night

Hurray, you accidentally prevented a fire hazard! Good on you!

• @locallunatic said:

the crockpot that I thought I started

What's in it? Might be toxic hellstew by now if left at room temperature that long.

• 3-4 hours isn't good, but it also isn't terribly dangerous for chuck.

EDIT: thought it started at 0330, checked it again after morning alarm and found the issue.

Two fucking hours later, still can't install this fucking node module, q-sqlite3, because like everyone else it's sucking on node-gyp's dick. Who the fuck compiles from source on the fly for a fucking x86 or x64 windows fucking machine anymore, just fucking ship the binary, jesus fuck. "derp all my users are .net fanatics who have like fifty thousand copies of msbuild installed, that's why they work with node.js obvs"

• Go's sqlite packages aren't much better on that front. Example:

GOPATH=/tmp/gopath go get -x github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3

cd .
    git clone https://github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3 /tmp/gopath/src/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3
    cd .
    git -C /tmp/gopath/src/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3 submodule update --init --recursive
    cd /tmp/gopath/src/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3
    git show-ref
    git checkout master
    git submodule update --init --recursive
    WORK=/tmp/go-build402303768
    mkdir -p $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/
    mkdir -p $WORK/github.com/mattn/
    CGO_LDFLAGS="-g" "-O2" "-ldl" /home/ben/.golang/pkg/tool/linux_amd64/cgo -objdir $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -importpath github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3 -- -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. backup.go callback.go error.go sqlite3.go sqlite3_load_extension.go sqlite3_other.go
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_main.o -c $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_main.c
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_export.o -c $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_export.c
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/backup.cgo2.o -c $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/backup.cgo2.c
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/callback.cgo2.o -c $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/callback.cgo2.c
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/error.cgo2.o -c $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/error.cgo2.c
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3.cgo2.o -c $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3.cgo2.c
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_load_extension.cgo2.o -c $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_load_extension.cgo2.c
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_other.cgo2.o -c $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_other.cgo2.c
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -I $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_THREADSAFE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS4_UNICODE61 -I. -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3-binding.o -c ./sqlite3-binding.c
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_main.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_export.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/backup.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/callback.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/error.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_load_extension.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_other.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3-binding.o -g -O2 -ldl
    /home/ben/.golang/pkg/tool/linux_amd64/cgo -objdir $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/ -dynpackage sqlite3 -dynimport $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_.o -dynout $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_import.go
    gcc -I . -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0 -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_all.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_export.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/backup.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/callback.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/error.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_load_extension.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_other.cgo2.o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3-binding.o -g -O2 -Wl,-r -nostdlib -Wl,--build-id=none
    /home/ben/.golang/pkg/tool/linux_amd64/compile -o $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3.a -trimpath $WORK -p github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3 -buildid 9306280d589f8d2b01468059262df6ebc67aff64 -D _/tmp/gopath/src/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3 -I $WORK -pack ./doc.go $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_gotypes.go $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/backup.cgo1.go $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/callback.cgo1.go $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/error.cgo1.go $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3.cgo1.go $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_load_extension.cgo1.go $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/sqlite3_other.cgo1.go $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_cgo_import.go
    pack r $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3.a $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3/_obj/_all.o # internal
    mkdir -p /tmp/gopath/pkg/linux_amd64/github.com/mattn/
    mv $WORK/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3.a /tmp/gopath/pkg/linux_amd64/github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3.a

Yeah that isn't going to work out

In my news I found an anime that combines mecha with magical girls. If only they had cat ears.

• @blakeyrat said:

Why does he have your personal Skype? ... you don't use your personal IM accounts for work-related shit do you? That's the real WTF.

Please, Skype is the LinkedIn of IM. Now, my WhatsApp number is something else.