Push it (doors WTF)

• Often in I.T. (and especially on this site) there are bad solutions to simple problems. Things that sane and intelligent people would know have been solved already.

Admitedly I.T. is a very young industry, so consider the history of conventional wisdom that is present in some millennia-old professions such as residential architecture. It baffles me that in this day and a get that some people are able to get simple things like door handles so annoyingly wrong. A friend took this photo of some utterly confusing doors: <font color="#698d73">http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigelmouse/2592280375/</font>

There are other examples of this all over the place. I challenge you all to provide further proof that some architects are retarded.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Looks like contractor stupidity in putting the handles on the wrong side of the door. The stickers on the doors in that shot both clearly say pull.

• very well!!!

mod: edited stealth pseudo-signature spam. -pjh.

•  So you try to pull and if that doesn't work, you push.  Not so hard, really.

• okay so basically I live with my friend and her family and things are
    usually ok.. it's a big family so it gets annoying sometimes but I try
    my best not to express any emotion. I have a HUGE exam coming up and ALL
    my pens went missing, so I couldn't study and I didn't feel like it
    anyways, so I was watching TV. THe volume was at 30 and my friend who
    was in charge since she's the oldest and her mom was gone, asked me to
    turn it down.

• @RickiSonia said:

okay so basically I live with my friend and her family and things are
    usually ok.. it's a big family so it gets annoying sometimes but I try
    my best not to express any emotion. I have a HUGE exam coming up and ALL
    my pens went missing, so I couldn't study and I didn't feel like it
    anyways, so I was watching TV. THe volume was at 30 and my friend who
    was in charge since she's the oldest and her mom was gone, asked me to
    turn it down.
    Unlike PJH I've edited this post to remove the psig spam, but left the comment intact as it is... interesting.

• @RickiSonia said:

okay so basically I live with my friend and her family and things are usually ok.. it's a big family so it gets annoying sometimes but I try my best not to express any emotion. I have a HUGE exam coming up and ALL my pens went missing, so I couldn't study and I didn't feel like it anyways, so I was watching TV. THe volume was at 30 and my friend who was in charge since she's the oldest and her mom was gone, asked me to turn it down.

So I went to my computer and fired up the GREATEST PROGRAM EVER.  (SSRR)  it didn't have any feature to do this yet, so I just got my brothers noodle and jammed it.  And it worked great.

• @Lingerance said:

THe volume was at 30

Volumes go up to 30 now - ten was the maximum in my day.  This technical one-upmanship has gone too far.  Next thing you know we'll have razors with 5 blades.

• At my local LRT (light rail transit) station you come up to the train platform from below. The area below is heated so there are doors on platform level to keep the warm air in (since it is like -30 C here for 25% of the year). However, everyone likes to come up the stairs and wait inside the doors on a cold day so they can see the trains approaching without freezing to death. Unfortunately, the guy who chose how to set up the automatic sensors needs to be shot - on the inside, there are area scanners with extremely high sensitivity so if you so much as pick your nose at the top of the stairs all the doors fling open away from you (they are not sliding doors, they are traditional hinged-on-the-side doors with automatic openers). Then - on the OUTSIDE, where no one stands unless they specifically want to come in and go down the stairs, they have a "gate" style sensor that requires you to stand right in front of it and constantly break the beam for the door to open. Only... it's mounted on the door! And the door is coming open towards you! So you have to walk towards the door until it lurches open, then step back at exactly the right rate so the doors don't start shutting on you again.

If you swapped the sensors around to opposite sides of the doors it'd work perfectly. But this is a transit system that bought Siemens (German) trains with a not-standard-in-Canada track gauge because of some introductory price in the 1970s instead of just getting bloody Bombardier (Canadian-made) equipment that's used throughout the rest of the country.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Lucky bastards. The door to my room has no handles. On either side. I have to pull on the locking mechanism because it sticks out a smidge.

• @El_Heffe said:

So you try to pull and if that doesn't work, you push.  Not so hard, really.

It shouldn't even be that hard. If you design things with though then the design dictates the correct action. Supposed to push the door? Then there is a big push area and no handle. Supposed to pull? Then there is a handle that is inconvenient to push.

I always recommend "Design of Everyday Things" to fellow devs if they haven't read it. Great book, easy read and some really good points. I've heard people comment on the book with, "But this is basically common sense." It reads as common sense, but it isn't.

• @yamikuronue said:

Lucky bastards. The door to my room has no handles. On either side. I have to pull on the locking mechanism because it sticks out a smidge.

I wonder if they'd let you pull it open with a strip of duct tape.