You Rock Alagasco

• Core 2 Duo

Core 2 Quad

i3

i5

i7

I think versioning should stick for at least four whole increments, to establish some familiarity and a sense of stability*. I'd never even heard of i3 and i5.

*) then again, if you're Intel, people know you already, even though they may think that Pentium is your name, Intel is a software product, and i7 is just the version of a computer.

• @dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

Future students of game design are going to be going, "why is Prince of Persia considered so great when it sucked? Oh... the series was older than 2008? Huh."

I too shed a small, salty tear for this development.

Sarcasm noted.

Also, the two movies named Crash which came out within a few years of each other, one of which is an award-winning feel-good movie and the other of which is a thriller/horror movie about people who crash cars to fulfill some insane fetish. When the newer Crash was up for an Oscar, I hadn't yet heard of it, so I was like, "the car crash fetish movie? An Oscar? Seriously?"

• @dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

Future students of game design are going to be going, "why is Prince of Persia considered so great when it sucked? Oh... the series was older than 2008? Huh."

I too shed a small, salty tear for this development.

I personally didn't dislike PoP 2008. In fact, I finished it, unlike the original (though I'd probably finish the original too if I had it now).

I'm also planning to see the probable train-wreck of a movie by Disney.

PS: In http://quizilla.teennick.com/quizzes/1003730/noaction :

• @dhromed said:

then again, if you're Intel, people know you already, even though they may think that Pentium is your name, Intel is a software product, and i7 is just the version of a computer.
    I don't have Pentium, but I heard it's a pretty good game.  My computer has an HP CPU, the software is Microsoft, and the ISP is Google.  There's a sticker that says it has lots of Intel inside it, probably to make it fast?  What's this i7 nonsense?  Is that the new iPod from the commercials with the annoying song?

• @blakeyrat said:

Sarcasm noted.

I was not being sarcastic, just dramatic but sincere.

It's a thing I do.

• @dhromed said:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 CS CS2 CS3 CS4

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, MX, MX2, Studio, CS4

[quote user="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil"]Resident Evil
    Resident Evil: Director's Cut
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil: Survivor
    Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica
    Resident Evil Zero
    Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
    Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
    Resident Evil 5[/quote]

Grand Theft Auto

Grand Theft Auto 2

Grand Theft Auto III

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Grand Theft Auto IV

• @belgariontheking said:

[snip more confusion]

Okay, I didn't want to go there but, here you are.

• 聖剣伝説 ~ファイナルファンタシー外伝~
    • 聖剣伝説2
    • 聖剣伝説3
    • 聖剣伝説 レジェンド オブ マナ
    • 新約聖剣伝説
    • 聖剣伝説DS チルドレン オブ マナ
    • 聖剣伝説4
    • 聖剣伝説: Heroes of Mana
    Edit: Friends of Mana is missing alright. Screw that.

• @belgariontheking said:

Grand Theft Auto

Grand Theft Auto 2

Grand Theft Auto III

Grand Theft Auto IV

What's the big deal about that?  Did you never learn to count or something?  I can understand the added difficulty in counting to IV, since it requires 2 hands, but even my nephew can manage it and he just turned III.  By the time you've started preschool at Vice-City- or San-Andreas-years-old, you should have it mastered.

• @bstorer said:

@belgariontheking said:

Grand Theft Auto

Grand Theft Auto 2

Grand Theft Auto III

Grand Theft Auto IV

What's the big deal about that?  Did you never learn to count or something?  I can understand the added difficulty in counting to IV, since it requires 2 hands, but even my nephew can manage it and he just turned III.  By the time you've started preschool at Vice-City- or San-Andreas-years-old, you should have it mastered.

Oh hell, that's in Roman numerals?  I always thought it was a reference to intravenous drug use, which makes way more sense than Roman numerals, really...

• @morbiuswilters said:

Oh hell, that's in Roman numerals?  I always thought it was a reference to intravenous drug use, which makes way more sense than Roman numerals, really...
    I disagree.  I think Grand Theft Chariot, based upon Caligula, would make for a hell of an entertaining game.  That is, as long as you don't have to go hang out at the bathhouses or Colloseum with your cousin Tiberius Gemellus every ten minutes.  At least he won't be able to call your character on a cell phone, and you could probably run down his messenger with your chariot, which would be cathartic.

• @Kiss me I'm Polish said:

How about 8088, 8086, 80286, 80386, 80486, Pentium, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium IV, uhhh I lost it. Dual Core? Quad Core?

You forgot a few, like the 4004, 80186, Pentium MMX, Pentium Pro, Celeron, Xeon, and a lot of fun over the past four years or so.

But I do think we have a winner, or can anyone top our friends at Intel?

Edit: there is actually more logic to the whole thing as it seems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocessors

There are just a lot of Intel processors that are less well known.

•  Also, it goes "i7, i5, i3." i7 came out in 2008, i5 late last year, and i3 early this year.

As a side note, I'm very happy with my i3-540. This processor and an H55 chipset board (EVGA's) got a 4.9/5.3 (Windows/Gaming) in Windows 7's "experience index" for graphics performance. The processor itself gets a 6.9 running at stock speed (3.07 GHz).

• Garbage Person

@Kiss me I'm Polish said:

How about 8088, 8086, 80286, 80386, 80486, Pentium, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium IV, uhhh I lost it. Dual Core? Quad Core?

NO!

4004, 8080, 8086, 8088, 80286, 80386[SX,DX], 80486[SX, DX, DX2], Pentium[MMX], Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III[-S], Pentium 4[-HT], Core [Solo, Duo], Pentium M[AKA Centrino], Core 2 [Duo, Quad], i[3,5,7]

In that order.

• Garbage Person

@RogerWilco said:

You forgot a few, like the 4004, 80186, Pentium MMX, Pentium Pro, Celeron, Xeon, and a lot of fun over the past four years or so.
    The 80186 was never used in a full production microcomputer as a CPU. As an auxiliary processor, yes. The Celeron and Xeon are seperate from the mainline processors - one intended for budget garbage, one intended for high end servers and workstations, but traditionally both correspond to design families in the main "Pentium" line. For example, there are what could be called Xeon 2's (though they were the first Xeons and always just badged Xeon) which correspond to Pentium 2's. Similarly for Xeon 3's and Xeon 4's. Only recently have they diverged the Xeon R&D to be its whole own seperate monster with bespoke designs.

• @Weng said:

The Celeron and Xeon are seperate from the mainline processors - one intended for budget garbage, one intended for high end servers and workstations...

Topologists have no trouble counting like this

• @cfgauss said:

Topologists
    have no trouble counting like this

Topologists aren't supposed to count. They're supposed to examine open sets, and preimages of such.

•  Cardinality is certianly important in topology!  How else are you supposed to know if you need to use that pesky axiom of choice? Or transfinite induction?!

• @cfgauss said:

Cardinality is certianly important in topology!  How else are you supposed to know if you need to use that pesky axiom of choice? Or transfinite induction?!

Hey, both work for finite sets as well. Just use them always. Maybe add a remark that they're only required in the infinite case, and you're safe, no?

• Need for Speed had had a few tries at numbering too, both Roman and Arabic

The Need for Speed

Need for Speed II

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit

Need for Speed: High Stakes / Need For Speed Road Challenge

Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

Need for Speed: Underground

Need for Speed: Underground 2

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Need for Speed: Carbon

Need for Speed: ProStreet

Need for Speed: Undercover

Need for Speed: Shift

Need for Speed: Nitro

Having only played a little myself I would have no idea what comes before what without Wikipedia. (I didn't even know all the titles - had a slight grin at 'Porsche Unleashed', sneaky and corny pun)

ed: Linebreaks added. --Ling