Error with drop down box on CNN.

•  I was checking out how rich I will be in 40 years, and found that the CNN calculator is a little confused. Not only does the allowed range change every time I go to the page, the drop down box goes to two percent. I wonder how they managed to mangle an interest calculator so much that they can't go below a certain percentage.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/savingscalc/savingscalc.html 

Can't use below 3.5%, selection box goes down to 2%.

• Just tried it out, and yeah, that is a horrible design.  It doesn't make much sense to use drop-down boxes because you are limiting your users to just those values.  Don't see why they couldn't just allow users to edit the value.  This is probably mug-worthy, though...

• How does 9% become so special that it needs to be first? Is that the base rate in the U.S. Federal tax system? Definitely a horrible page though. I wonder how they come up with that 3.53.... lower limit too. Doesn't seem to be anything special about it, the way you'd assume a 2^31-1 limit if you saw 2147483647 somewhere.

• @MarcB said:

How does 9% become so special that it needs to be first? Is that the base rate in the U.S. Federal tax system? Definitely a horrible page though. I wonder how they come up with that 3.53.... lower limit too. Doesn't seem to be anything special about it, the way you'd assume a 2^31-1 limit if you saw 2147483647 somewhere.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing special about any of them. Why they all have a bizarre out of order option first I just don't understand.

•  I wonder where 21% has got to.  Putting percentages in a dropdown is just wrong.  Failure to put the numbers in the right order is madness.

• @Eternal Density said:

I wonder where 21% has got to.
    It took 6%'s money and ran off with his wife.

• @bstorer said:

Must have been a dutch wife. I hear they are easy to steal.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@bstorer said:

Must have been a dutch wife. I hear they are easy to steal.

Yeah, well, Dutch chicks really aren't that desirable..  a fact I found out a bit too late, unfortunately.  Maybe that's why Dutch men don't bother stopping us...

• @bstorer said:

I figured it out: there's no space for 21% after %20.

Is 6%'s wife 9%, since she's the one who is out of place? 

• If you go to the website you'll see that after 19% only even numbers show up, because it's absolutly rediculous that anybody would have a return rate above 19% that's odd.

• The hardcoded percentages mean that people from my state cannot use it, unless we want a really estimated estimate.

• @MarcB said:

How does 9% become so special that it needs to be first? 

I haven't looked at the site, but 9% around the long-term average return of the US stock market, so it probably is the suggested value to use.  However, they can't just lock in the 9% because then some idiot with a lawyer would claim that they had promised 9% returns somehow.

As for 21%, I pity the fool who thinks that s/he will regularly see 21% returns on investments.

• Nonsense... why with my money doubling every 4 years, I'll be rich enough to live on interest alone by the time I'm 40, bwa ha ha....

• @MarcB said:

How does 9% become so special that it needs to be FIST!!!!!one!1!?
    FTFY

• Why live on interest alone when you can be rich on interest alone! 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.