3D Printing :wtf:

• Grade A Premium Asshole

So one of the biggest players in the 3D printing mainboard game is BigTreeTech/BIQU out of China. All of my 3D printers run their mainboards. No issues with them. They are, so far, a quality board at a fair price. I have several of their SKR 1.3 and SKR 1.4 Turbo boards and had been looking at their GTR board for several upcoming builds where I need to drive a lot of steppers.

Well, they recently released their SKR 2.0 board which has a lot of features I have been looking for, including multiple PWM fan outputs supported natively. It also has built-in support for an ESP module in order to support RepRap firmware out of the box. Since I've been wanting to give RepRap a try I was going to order two of the new boards.

Well, it also supports a new feature that was recently integrated in to Marlin firmware where if you insert a stepper driver board backwards it will protect the driver and the board from destroying each other. I have no idea why you would need this since all of the stepper drivers I have ever bought have been color coded, and newer TMC2209 drivers can't really be reversed anyway. It seems like a solution looking for a problem. But whatever, it has it, and I don't need to use it so I can ignore it.

So last night I go to order two boards with accompanying TMC2209 drivers, which right now are the most popular drivers by a longshot. Before they came out you had to make a choice of a subset of stepper driver features that you wanted, but the TMC2209 model has almost all of the features available, and all of the ones that are most commonly used.

One problem, the SKR 2.0 is not available on Amazon. Well, that's odd. I do multiple searches and it isn't even coming up and sold out. It just isn't available. Like the SKU had been pulled. The link in my wishlist is even dead. So, :wtf: happened?

I go digging and run across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjVkqXaQKtc

I will save you from having to watch it but basically there is a bug in the board where if you use a TMC2209 and enable the feature in Marlin that is supposed to keep you from destroying your stepper drivers and mainboard.........it destroys your stepper drivers and mainboard.

6a1ad0e9-b615-406f-aea1-b2db3cdab297-image.png

I cannot even wrap my head around how one designs a board, to support a feature that protects drivers and mainboard, that destroys the drivers and mainboard, if you use the most popular drivers on the market and enable said feature. It boggles the mind.

If the bug was in A4988 drivers, which no one would ever use on this board and it caused the issue I would understand. But these are literally the most popular drivers on the market right now. They are integrated and soldered in place so you cannot swap them on other BTT/BIQU products. They sell their own version of this product.

Retards, the lot of them.

• kills Dumbledore

@Polygeekery said in 3D Printing :wtf::

It also has built-in support for an ESP module

You can control it with your mind? Awesome

• 🚽 Regular

Sorry, but I need to get something out of my mind.

"Step stick, what are you doing?"

There.

@Zecc IDGI

• kills Dumbledore

• 🚽 Regular

I was thinking more specifically about this image:

1e8c33cb-9128-412c-8f11-88ef0a3eae81-image.png

But yes, that's the meme.

• Considered Harmful

@Polygeekery it was brought upon us by a wish made in a Rick and Morty episode, iirc.

• DSxM2RVZznNCuxOv60bsxIT6OYr_oXIl-i6PTHnDZpA.jpg

• Considered Harmful

@slapout1 "we programmed them to never do this". yeeeeeeesh.

• Java Dev

@slapout1 Yeah, their fault for not setting the robots up to be spending 90% of their resources ascertaining they are obeying the Three Laws at all times.

• @Polygeekery Looks reasonable to me.

@Rhywden it seems to be, but it still boggles the mind how this could occur. Especially so since it appears from the releases I read that they were the one that originated the feature and then totally screwed the pooch by substituting a MOSFET.

But weirder things can happen and I can sort of see how this can happen. They also claim that it was ~100 boards that made it out with this defect and they have implemented a V2 that seems to have fixed the issue.

• Considered Harmful

@Rhywden it seems to be, but it still boggles the mind how this could occur. Especially so since it appears from the releases I read that they were the one that originated the feature and then totally screwed the pooch by substituting a MOSFET.

But weirder things can happen and I can sort of see how this can happen. They also claim that it was ~100 boards that made it out with this defect and they have implemented a V2 that seems to have fixed the issue.

Distract even a competent engineer badly enough and consistently enough and you can probably get them to fuck up.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Gribnit said in 3D Printing :wtf::

Distract even a competent engineer badly enough and consistently enough and you can probably get them to fuck up.

So what you are saying is that people in IT are constantly distracted?

• Considered Harmful

@MrL said in 3D Printing :wtf::

What the fuck are you talking about?

tenor (14).gif

• @Polygeekery said in 3D Printing :wtf::

tenor (14).gif

Also:
    11eed428-67be-4258-86ee-69511c0821cf-image.png