Jira reaches a new UX low

• Not only do they keep two disparate interfaces running in parallel, they're putting up notices for new interfaces:

722847ea-7cf8-4b27-9a5f-2140d9aacda8-image.png

I already know how two parallel implementations for the rest of the interface are working badly. Now you tell me you're going to do it again? But not yet? Getting me anxious without delivering the blow? Fuck you too. We pay you for this shit!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@gleemonk said in Jira reaches a new UX low:

Not only do they keep two disparate interfaces running in parallel, they're putting up notices for new interfaces:

"New." Did you see the date on the post they linked to?

And all the OBN in the comments.

I'm still waiting for an interface that fully loads in less than 3 seconds. Hell, even under 3 minutes would be an improvment.

• Fake News

@gleemonk I have already enabled that.

Basically, the top-bar navigation which they removed in JIRA v7 has made a come-back. If you enable it you get a permanent top-bar with full-text "buttons" for projects, filters, dashboards, apps, creating a ticket or searching.

The sidebar which used to house all of that in icon form can now be set to collapse to a very narrow bar which houses only context-sensitive items (like "find issues in current project", "current project releases", etc).

It's OK I guess, but it's all just an empty box - the old thing is new again!

• @PJH said in Jira reaches a new UX low:

"New." Did you see the date on the post they linked to?

Haha no. Why would I read what they write? That message with a link to such an old post is adorable in a sad way. But really fuck them: 7b3cdb68-73c8-4f32-8166-dc640e9a3a74-image.png

And all the OBN in the comments.

There does seem to be an odd aspect of praising I hardly experience in online forums. But there are some haters too, even if polite ones, so that makes me feel at home.

I'm still waiting for an interface that fully loads in less than 3 seconds. Hell, even under 3 minutes would be an improvment.

Keep waiting
    and waiting
    aaaand
    waiting
    THERE YOU ARE IT'S STILL SHIT SLOW.

• @JBert said in Jira reaches a new UX low:

If you enable it you get a permanent top-bar with full-text "buttons" for projects, filters, dashboards, apps, creating a ticket or searching.

Sounds nice but I can't actually enable it.

The sidebar which used to house all of that in icon form can now be set to collapse to a very narrow bar which houses only context-sensitive items (like "find issues in current project", "current project releases", etc).

It's OK I guess, but it's all just an empty box - the old thing is new again!

Maybe it's faster? Yeah sure keep dreaming @gleemonk.

• @gleemonk The choice is yours....until they decide to take away the "wrong" choice of keeping the legacy interface (I haven't used Jira in years so I don't know which UI is actually worse).

As an aside, if they implemented a proper API, it should be child's play to develop and maintain multiple interfaces. But where would all of their hipsters and H1Bs go after they were fired and replaced by halfway intelligent people?

• @Zenith Sorry I wasn't clear what I meant with parallel implementations. The problem is not that there are mutliple interfaces, but that they mix them! For example: When I create a ticket, I get a different RTE than when editing. That's hilariously bad UX.

Given that experience, when they write "improved navigation" it sounds a lot like "we'll add a bunch more stuff to our unwieldy interface" to me. But then again maybe they managed to improve it? Note that I still can't try it out! So the whole message is junk.

• @gleemonk Oh, like Windows 7/10 that's all over the place depending on what part of the control panel you're looking at?

@Zenith said in Jira reaches a new UX low:

if they implemented a proper API

How many proper APIs do you think they have? This is JIRA, home of bloat and excessive complication; the more (of everything, but most of all of slowness) the merrier!

• @dkf said in Jira reaches a new UX low:

if they implemented a proper API

How many proper APIs do you think they have? This is JIRA, home of bloat and excessive complication; the more (of everything, but most of all of slowness) the merrier!

Zero? Because I said "proper API," not "layers and layers of framework shit" that too many developers confuse with an API.

• Banned

@Zenith real API has never been tried! ⚒

I'm disappointed by NodeBB's lack of sickle emoji or anything that could be used in its place.

• @Gąska Actually, I think Office has/had a useful API. Windows too, although the media side is strange at best. OnBase was workable but hindered by a hypernormalized database. But when it comes to web or open source stuff, I'm always disappointed. You're either stuck running a command line or it's so byzantine/frameworky that it's not worth it.

A good API needs to hide low level complexity without handcuffing the caller or destroying performance. If it requires alot of setup or external knowledge, that's bad. If it lets you do even less than the UI, that's bad. If it's as slow as the UI, that's bad.

But when it comes to web or open source stuff, I'm always disappointed.

You've been looking at the wrong projects then. Of course, you probably won't find those if you ask the ADHD crackheads that write most web frameworks…

• @dkf But aren't there a ton of ADHD crackhead frameworks out there these days? 🍹

Though I expect some of the difficulty is trying to find .NET bindings. The interface part is basically COM, a 30 year old technology, but it's still treated like leprosy. Thus I often find it a shortcut to just reinvent the wheel.

• Hooray today the new interface was finally activated! And it's actually faster. Like a second faster to load. Overall it's still shit slow. But the gesture is appreciated.