Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!

• Fake News

• Banned

@lolwhat the COVID thread but in garage.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Gąska said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@lolwhat the COVID thread but in garage.

Start a new one so we know which one you mean

• Fake News

https://archive.is/VIzFv

Indiana life insurance CEO says deaths are up 40% among people ages 18-64

• Banned

And so it begins - cannot dine inside McDonald's unless I show a vaccination card.

• @Gąska said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

And so it begins - cannot dine inside McDonald's unless I show a vaccination card.

Could be in Oregon, where most McDonalds (and other restaurants) don't even allow indoor dining at all. Although that could be because they're having troubles just getting enough staff to run the drive through...

• Banned

@Benjamin-Hall said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Could be in Oregon, where most McDonalds (and other restaurants) don't even allow indoor dining at all.

That's less irritating than being singled out.

• Considered Harmful

So far it's just been impossible to send your kids to childcare unless you showed a vaccination card—but now they're touching on the central institutions of the American Way of Life!

• @Gąska said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

It's for health reasons.

I mean the "preventing you from eating at McDonald's" part.

• Notification Spam Recipient

In Poland you can't go to a cinema without vaccination pass (individual decision of every cinema, it's not a state mandate, but all cinemas I checked do this).

Also, you can't enter Cafe Nero (my favorite cafe) without a pass.

At least one supermarket chain (Action) segregates clients by vacination status.

My pass expires in less than 3 months. If this madness continues, and everything suggests that it will, I have to prepare for even more isolated life.

• Banned

@MrL said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

My pass expires in less than 3 months. If this madness continues, and everything suggests that it will, I have to prepare for even more isolated life.

If I was already... double-checks category... vaccinated, I wouldn't mind a booster. All the hidden heart conditions would have surfaced by now.

If I was already... double-checks category... vaccinated, I wouldn't mind a booster. All the hidden heart conditions would have surfaced by now.

Not going into details because of category, but you are wrong.

• Banned

@MrL forgery did cross my mind :trollface:

@MrL forgery did cross my mind :trollface:

I meant booster (side)effects. I am vaccinated.

• @MrL In Finland the COVID passport has been described as a "way to avoid the restrictions" by the government. So it was only used by businesses if they would have had to close because of restrictions. Or to limit the number of customers, etc..

But right now, due to the spread of COVID, the government limited the use of the passport, so most places have to close anyway.

In 3 months... 🤔
    I think Omicron will have gone through most of the population. You should test often, if you want to have the "recovered in the last 6 months" mark for your passport.

• @MrL I had two doses of AstraZeneca last year and a Pfizer booster almost a month ago and so far no ill effects other than a bit of feeling “ugh” that day. And I’m in the club of “medicated for high blood pressure” so I’m definitely watching out for symptoms there.

@acrow said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

I think Omicron will have gone through most of the population.

Well, it is infectious enough to do that, especially if much of the population is unvaccinated or has a long time since the last vaccination. (There appears to be additional risk involved if all the vaccine(s) you've received are mRNA-based, as that immunity apparently wanes more rapidly than the cell-mediated ones. Because the immune system is really complicated, OK?)

Maybe most people only get the mild form? Maybe you will too.

https://youtu.be/38mE6ba3qj8?t=102

• @dkf said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

especially if much of the population is unvaccinated or has a long time since the last vaccination

A notable statistical phenomena is that human behavior seems to have a bigger impact on infection rate than vaccination status:

denmark.jpg

Of course, the vaccines have never been shown to limit the infection rate. Only the symptoms. According to the original acceptance study of at least Pfizer. And variants since can be assumed to be even less limited by the vaccine in this regard, as they are less similar to the original spike protein, which the vaccine is still based on.

There appears to be additional risk involved if all the vaccine(s) you've received are mRNA-based, as that immunity apparently wanes more rapidly than the cell-mediated ones.

I'd attribute this to human behavior as well. We started giving different kinds of vaccine to different parts of the population. Different results follow.

Maybe most people only get the mild form? Maybe you will too.

I had a 95% probability of getting the mild form with the first variant, IIRC. Add the Omicron multiplier. Subtract the added kilos of weight I've put on. ... 🤷♂

• Fake News

@dkf said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

There appears to be additional risk involved if all the vaccine(s) you've received are mRNA-based, as that immunity apparently wanes more rapidly than the cell-mediated ones. Because the immune system is really complicated, OK?

Too bad Pfizer, Moderna et al. didn't spend the traditional 5-10 years proving out the shots before they were deployed en masse. A longer timeline might've caught any potential side effects, too.

• BINNED

@lolwhat said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

There appears to be additional risk involved if all the vaccine(s) you've received are mRNA-based, as that immunity apparently wanes more rapidly than the cell-mediated ones. Because the immune system is really complicated, OK?

Too bad Pfizer, Moderna et al. didn't spend the traditional 5-10 years proving out the shots before they were deployed en masse. A longer timeline might've caught any potential side effects, too.

What would be the benefit of that?
    Also, we already know the side effects and the effects of the virus.

@acrow said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

You should test often, if you want to have the "recovered in the last 6 months" mark for your passport.

Nah, I won't do that. I refuse to go to places that require "passports" anyway, because I think that segregating people is disgusting.
    Plus a positive test means 2 weeks of ridiculous 'quarantine' - not something I need in my life.

@Arantor said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@MrL I had two doses of AstraZeneca last year and a Pfizer booster almost a month ago and so far no ill effects other than a bit of feeling “ugh” that day. And I’m in the club of “medicated for high blood pressure” so I’m definitely watching out for symptoms there.

That doesn't change anything for me, but... good for you?

• @MrL I just thought having a little more anecdata might be useful? Lesson learned, however.

@MrL I just thought having a little more anecdata might be useful?

I don't have a slightest idea why you thought that.

1. Side effects have probability of occuring smaller than 1. That they didn't occur for someone means nothing.
    2. There is no correlation AFAIK of SE with existing conditions. 'I have a heart condition and vaccine didn't worsen that' means nothing.
    3. High blood pressure is just one of possible SE. The list is as long as my arm and includes such things as heart attack, heart muscle inflamation, clots, seizure, brain fog, impaired memory, impaired motoric functions. Each of these would destroy my life.

Yes, probability of SE is small, of serious ones even smaller, but that's one of lotteries I don't want to win. With alpha/delta calculation of risk/benefit pointed to taking the vaccine, with omicron it points to getting infected (IMO, I'm not saying that's objectively correct for everyone and I'm not convincing anyone, do what you think is best).

• @MrL I don’t know, being in the category of people that has family history of all of the above, plus having related conditions myself means i have researched this and read the related studies on the subject. I didn’t explain it, but there you go, my rationale for trying to offer something of any value to anyone.

I’m also mindful that my wife won’t have any boosters precisely because of the side effects she had from the first jabs, but those are side effects that don’t generally apply to men (because menstruation related side effects are going under-reported and under-studied)

But yes, it’s clear that trying to offer anything to anyone is actually the waste of time I’d suspected it was. Have fun y’all.

Too bad Pfizer, Moderna et al. didn't spend the traditional 5-10 years proving out the shots before they were deployed en masse.

If you wanted lockdown for 5–10 years (or rather a lot of otherwise-preventable deaths and disablement), insisting on having testing for that length of time prior to vaccine deployment is a good way to get it. Not all the vaccines are mRNA-based. The AZ vaccine is such an example, and came about because the team that developed it was already working on a vaccine for related coronaviruses (ie., they already had almost all the safety data and already knew how to work with what they had).

• ♿ (Parody)

At least one supermarket chain (Action) segregates clients by vacination status.

How do they do this? Time of day?

@MrL I don’t know, being in the category of people that has family history of all of the above, plus having related conditions myself means i have researched this and read the related studies on the subject. I didn’t explain it, but there you go, my rationale for trying to offer something of any value to anyone.

You didn't offer any value. "I didn't get hightened blood pressure after the vax" doesn't even hint that you read any studies, let alone provide data from them.

• ♿ (Parody)

I'm not planning on getting a booster. It's not so much hidden conditions that I worry about but things that it could cause. Especially with Omicron making things more mild, I'm not convinced that I'd be on the right side of the risk / reward equation with a booster.

• ♿ (Parody)

Too bad Pfizer, Moderna et al. didn't spend the traditional 5-10 years proving out the shots before they were deployed en masse.

If you wanted lockdown for 5–10 years

Evil ideas thread is :arrows:

Ditto for the Quixotic Ideas thread.

@boomzilla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Excellent question.

Unvaxed (or refusing to show "passport") must put on an "unvaxed" armband. Alleys in the store are divided into vaxed and unvaxed sides.

• BINNED

High blood pressure is just one of possible SE. The list is as long as my arm and includes such things as heart attack, heart muscle inflamation, clots, seizure, brain fog, impaired memory, impaired motoric functions. Each of these would destroy my life.

As far as I can tell, the only one of these that is both statistically significant and related to the vaccine only is clotting. It's pretty rare and seems to only occur in the AZ and JJ vaccines. The heart problems are also statistically significant, but both much less likely and less severe than from the actual Covid infection. You're afraid of myocarditis? Then you should beware of Covid more than the vaccines. The rest are either statistical flukes or also things that would happen with an infection.
    You could win those "lotteries" just by doing nothing at all, by taking an aspirin, or more relevantly with a higher probability, by getting infected.

• ♿ (Parody)

@topspin said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

You're afraid of myocarditis? Then you should beware of Covid more than the vaccines.

There was an analysis done in the UK about this. Risk of myocarditis from COVID goes up the older you get. In men, it was a similar risk between actual disease and the vaccine (on of the mRNAs IIRC) somewhere around 40 years old.

• Banned

Excellent question.

Unvaxed (or refusing to show "passport") must put on an "unvaxed" armband. Alleys in the store are divided into vaxed and unvaxed sides.

Holy fuck I thought you meant unvaxed are banned entirely but this is so much worse.

• ♿ (Parody)

Excellent question.

Holy fuck I thought you meant unvaxed are banned entirely but this is so much worse.

Eh, it plays to the same people who get scared when people take off their masks.

• BINNED

@topspin said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

You're afraid of myocarditis? Then you should beware of Covid more than the vaccines.

There was an analysis done in the UK about this. Risk of myocarditis from COVID goes up the older you get. In men, it was a similar risk between actual disease and the vaccine (on of the mRNAs IIRC) somewhere around 40 years old.

Similar risks (in case numbers) for <= 40 age group, yes, but not as a cut-off point.

We estimate that the absolute number of excess myocarditis events in the 28 days following a first dose of adenovirus or mRNA vaccine is between one and six per million persons vaccinated, and the excess risk following the second dose of the mRNA-1283 vaccine is ten per million. By contrast, we estimate 40 excess myocarditis events per million in the 28 days following SARS-CoV-2 infection. The risks are more evenly balanced in younger persons aged up to 40 years, where we estimated the excess in myocarditis events following SARS-CoV-2 infection to be 10 per million with the excess following a second dose of mRNA-1273 vaccine being 15 per million.

But the severity is higher too:

Whilst myocarditis can be life-threatening, most vaccine-associated myocarditis events have been mild and self-limiting22. The risk observed here is small and confined to the 7-day period following vaccination, whereas the lifetime risk of morbidity and mortality following SARS-CoV-2 infection is substantial. Indeed, myocardial injury is very common in persons admitted to hospital with SARS-CoV-2 infection26, when evaluated systematically using high-sensitivity cardiac troponin tests27.

• Banned

@topspin yes except no.

Excellent onebox!

Myocardial Injury in Severe COVID-19 Compared With Non-COVID-19 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome

(...)

Results: Of 243 intubated patients with COVID-19, 51% had troponin levels above the upper limit of normal. Chronic kidney disease, lactate, ferritin, and fibrinogen were associated with myocardial injury. Mortality was 22.7% among patients with COVID-19 with troponin under the upper limit of normal and 61.5% for those with troponin levels >10 times the upper limit of normal (P<0.001). The association of myocardial injury with mortality was not statistically significant after adjusting for age, sex, and multisystem organ dysfunction. Compared with patients with ARDS without COVID-19, patients with COVID-19 were older and had higher creatinine levels and less favorable vital signs. After adjustment, COVID-19-related ARDS was associated with lower odds of myocardial injury compared with non-COVID-19-related ARDS (odds ratio, 0.55 [95% CI, 0.36-0.84]; P=0.005).

Conclusions: Myocardial injury in severe COVID-19 is a function of baseline comorbidities, advanced age, and multisystem organ dysfunction, similar to traditional ARDS. The adverse prognosis of myocardial injury in COVID-19 relates largely to multisystem organ involvement and critical illness.

In short - COVID-related myocarditis is strongly linked to already dying for other reasons.

• BINNED

In short - COVID-related myocarditis is strongly linked to already dying for other reasons.

Just to clarify: what you’re saying is that if you have myocarditis due to covid that’s because of comorbidities, but if you have myocarditis due to vaccination then it’s because of the vaccine?

• Banned

@topspin only the first part (and technically not even that; the myocarditis itself may very well be due to the virus, but the reason why myocarditis is dangerous/can be detected is comorbidities). I've seen no study about the vaccine-related myocarditis.

• BINNED

@topspin only the first part (and technically not even that; the myocarditis itself may very well be due to the virus, but the reason why myocarditis is dangerous/can be detected is comorbidities). I've seen no study about the vaccine-related myocarditis.

That’s fine, but tangential to the conclusion from the UK study that shows severity of myocarditis from covid to be much higher than from vaccines. And people with comorbidities also got vaccinated, so this isn’t confounding.
    (The part that might be “confounding” with respect to comorbidities is that vaccinated are less likely to end up in the ICU in the first place. But that’s really not a case against the point I was making.)

The conclusions thus are:

• Myocarditis / Covid is no more severe than Myocarditis / ARDS
    • Myocarditis is more frequent due to Covid than due to vaccination and in turn more frequent than baseline. Myocarditis from covid is more severe than from vaccination.

Cool cool cool. I'll take my chances with omicron, thank you very much. While I'm getting more and more excluded from public life by fear pandemic, of course.

• @MrL said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Cool cool cool. I'll take my chances with omicron, thank you very much. While I'm getting more and more excluded from public life by fear pandemic, of course.

My husband and I are both sick. Both calling out of work the last two day.

We are both vaccinated but will not get boosters. I got mine due to being at risk, my husband got his due to avoiding termination. Ultimately that would be the same for me.

There is a correlation between the timing of my shots with a flare of my autoimmune system. Obviously it is impossible to know.

I regret getting the vaccine.

And both of us possibly could be sick due to the current variant. But I'm not waiting in line for hours (in the cold/wet) for a test that won't change my treatment. And one that I won't be able to get because there are not enough tests. I'm not going to take one from someone who needs it more.

We both work from home and don't go anywhere that requires showing vaccine status. So knowing we have covid or not changes little.

The only thing that it would change is how my past and future sick days are counted as a result. Sick with covid does not take away of our sick time for max 20 days. It is actually to my benefit to have a positive test.

• BINNED

I'm not trying to convince you, just adressing false statements about the side effects. Your choices, your consequences.

• Java Dev

@Karla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

The only thing that it would change is how my past and future sick days are counted as a result. Sick with covid does not take away of our sick time for max 20 days. It is actually to my benefit to have a positive test.

I don't know how it works in NY of course, but I'm pretty sure here in NL recovering from COVID means you count as fully protected again without needing a booster shot.

• @MrL said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

If you want to be consistent in your risk-reward analysis, I hope you're also factoring in all the consequences of not getting jabbed, and not just the risk of getting a serious form of COVID. Like the 14 days (?YMMV but ISTR you said so?) quarantine if you get it, or maybe if someone close to you does (again YMMV but some places have some rule like this). Or not being able to go to all those places where you need to show your status etc. Those are of course tiny things compared to dying, but OTOH they're extremely likely (or even certain).

What I mean by that is that if you start looking at some side-effects of the vaccines and saying that the low risk of those is enough to tip the scale one way, it's only fair to look at equally low risk side-effects of not-vaccines and how they might tip the scale the other way.

• @remi said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

Or not being able to go to all those places where you need to show your status etc.

People tend to be pissed when being forced and do the opposite just because. It is evolutionary adaptation that limits proliferation of abuse. Unfortunately not nearly enough people reacted that way in this case.

• BINNED

@remi said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

If you want to be consistent in your risk-reward analysis, I hope you're also factoring in all the consequences of not getting jabbed, and not just the risk of getting a serious form of COVID. Like the 14 days (?YMMV but ISTR you said so?) quarantine if you get it, or maybe if someone close to you does (again YMMV but some places have some rule like this). Or not being able to go to all those places where you need to show your status etc. Those are of course tiny things compared to dying, but OTOH they're extremely likely (or even certain).

What I mean by that is that if you start looking at some side-effects of the vaccines and saying that the low risk of those is enough to tip the scale one way, it's only fair to look at equally low risk side-effects of not-vaccines and how they might tip the scale the other way.

If you're considering the second order effects of "you should do X because the government put up stupid roadblocks to force you to do X," it's also worth it to consider the third order effects of "If enough people refuse to do X, the government will be forced to take away the roadblocks." Which is a collective action problem; if you feel you shouldn't get the shot, but then you do anyway, you're hurting everyone else that feels they shouldn't get the shot.

• @GuyWhoKilledBear said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

If you're considering the second order effects of "you should do X because the government put up stupid roadblocks to force you to do X,"

Well you certainly should, if you believe that you are making a purely rational risk/reward analysis to decide whether to do something. In fact, I would even argue that if you don't, then you are not making a rational analysis.

it's also worth it to consider the third order effects of "If enough people refuse to do X, the government will be forced to take away the roadblocks." Which is a collective action problem; if you feel you shouldn't get the shot, but then you do anyway, you're hurting everyone else that feels they shouldn't get the shot.

You're absolutely correct. You should indeed also consider that. Which is probably impossible in reality because it's overall pure speculation (how will "people" react to anything??), and thus part of why most people would tend to discount it (on the good'ol basis that "anything I can't model accurately, I remove from my model"). But it does indeed matter.

Case in point: I believe the reason we don't have mandatory vaccines in France (though we have a more and more restrictive "vaccine pass", but it's still not quite the same thing, morally speaking) is that there is a presidential election coming up, and Macron knows that such mandatory vaccination measure would cost him some votes (more than other measures, see my comment elsewhere (?) about his emmerder les non-vaccinés comment).

• Considered Harmful

@GuyWhoKilledBear said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

If you're considering the second order effects of "you should do X because the government put up stupid roadblocks to force you to do X,"

Well you certainly should, if you believe that you are making a purely rational risk/reward analysis to decide whether to do something. In fact, I would even argue that if you don't, then you are not making a rational analysis.

It's like driving drunk at a 100 through downtown after considering only the risk of crashing the car which may well be low at 3 in the morning but not the government's agents who like to put up stupid roadblocks to force you not to do that.

• ♿ (Parody)

@LaoC said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@GuyWhoKilledBear said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

It's like driving drunk at a 100 through downtown after considering only the risk of crashing the car which may well be low at 3 in the morning but not the government's agents who like to put up stupid roadblocks to force you not to do that.

In what way?

• @PleegWat said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

@Karla said in Tales from Coronavee-rooss Italy, mamma mia!:

I don't know how it works in NY of course, but I'm pretty sure here in NL recovering from COVID means you count as fully protected again without needing a booster shot.

Fully recovered counts as nothing here. I had antibodies in April 2020. I probably didn't even need the original shots.

But proof of of being fully recovered require tests for both infection and recovered that are in extremely limited supply.

As of right now, I am not yet required to get a booster. My husband works in a large University attached to a large hospital complex but works remotely. I work for the city.

I understand the hospital location but since he doesn't work on campus and has almost zero face-to-face with anyone.

I was required to have the initial vaccinations before he was. But I was planning to get it because I am high-risk.

I'm hoping if the new Mayor pushes a booster mandate I can get a medical exemption. There is a clear contraindication for live vaccines for the the medication I'm taking. Not sure if my doc can make an argument for any other vaccine type.

And by that point, I may not be able to afford my medication any way. In Dec 2021 it was $25, this month, over $1000.

I'm not hopeful that I get an outcome that I both can live with and afford. Because even with the medication, there is no guarantee that I will get an exception.

I get broke both and deaf seem to be the most likely result.

**Right now, I think the medication is the only thing that is keeping my hearing from getting worse. And is the only treatment I have left. My daughter is only 8, I want to be able to hear her sing (something I was denied because I was told I was tone-deaf) for at least a few more decades.